Awoo.

Sonic & Knuckles

Jix Hedgehog

At the end of issue 203 of the Sonic Archie comic book is an ad for a Sonic & Knuckles 200th issue 2-pack

Looks like you get a transparent blue Sonic, a regular Knuckles and the 200th issue of the series.

From Jazwares - August 2009

Sounds interesting. Do you have a scan of this, and does it show any promo pics of the figurines at hand?

Huh. I wonder why they decided to make Sonic transparent, while Knuckles has a full design...

That Knuckles figurine looks well-made, though it's hard to tell.

Ditto, that Sonic is a heap of crap. Why do they even bother with translucent figures? It's not like anybody ever actually wants them. And further, it wouldn't be as bad if the translucent one was just an alernative variant of a proper one, but here it seems to be the only one.

Here's hoping there's a proper version too.

Maybe it's a typo and it's really Chaos 0?? Lol.

That Knuckles figurine looks suspiciously like the one that was advertised in that magazine along with the SDCC chibi Metal Sonic and prototype 12 inch Metal Sonic....and I have to say I must have it!!! even if that means another issue of the dissapointing #200...

I do hope these are going to be available for people overseas?? :( At least orderable through our comic shops and not an eBay last resort thingy.

That Knuckles is really the best I've seen a figure of him look, really accurate and not odd looking, something that would really look good on display!

Edited by The-Master-Board

Is it weird I care more about the new piece of Sonic art on the box? :P That's Uekawa isn't it? Sonic has an attitude again!! I want them...but only to keep in the box.

As for the figures themselves? Meh. Knuckles looks pretty good I guess but yeah the translucent Sonic is just stupid and boring. Who thinks of this shit?

The thing that confuses me about this is if the characters are so small...why take up so much plastic box space behing the cool Uekawa art there?? :huh: You could almost fit another two figures in that space! Perhaps there are some secret accessories behind there, or maybe a paint kit so you can paint Sonic the right way! :lol:

Edited by The-Master-Board

Is it weird I care more about the new piece of Sonic art on the box? :P That's Uekawa isn't it? Sonic has an attitude again!! I want them...but only to keep in the box.

As for the figures themselves? Meh. Knuckles looks pretty good I guess but yeah the translucent Sonic is just stupid and boring. Who thinks of this shit?

Nah, I think Spaz drew that Sonic. There's something different on it.

Nah, I think Spaz drew that Sonic. There's something different on it.

I wondered that, but Spaz has no links to Jazwares or the Sonic figures. Why would he be the one producing art for them? I thought it'd make more sense that the official Sonic artist would be the one who made the artwork. Also considering all the others have been official Uekawa/3D images and the SA2 Knuckles on this one to...If it is Spaz, it's definitely his best Uekawa styled pic.

It's still related to Archie, with the comic. So I suppose they could have asked Spaz to draw them something. Or reuse one of his arts that didn't get in the comic before? He was good at mimicking Uekawa's drawings.

Anyway, Uekawa's or Spaz's, it's a nice pic :P

Oh, I see that Spaz has dipped his toes in Uekawa-style art again - ugh.

Use your own fucking art style, man!

That's what annoys me about Spaz's dramatic art shift throughout the comics' history. He started out as the best Sonic artist around, but when he shifted to using the games' promo art style, it was either due out of sheer laziness (he would blatantly copy entire poses or just fill up the entire page with Sonic's face) or sheer executive meddling. Either way, I'm pretty sure he didn't even care. Even his current, Un-ekawa art style lacks all the charm that originally drew me into his art. But oh well!

Nowadays, even his own stuck reeks of suck. I enjoyed his Sonic X comic covers though, it looked like he actually put effort into them and had fun pencilling.

If you ask me, Spaz has never had his 'own' style. All his art just seems like it's trying to imitate the official art of that period.

Admittedly I can relate, since my own style of Sonic art is practically an imitation of that used in in Sonic X.

Then again, bear in mind that Spaz is probably asked/ ordered to mimic official art styles, given the nature of the source material. Then again, that argument is perhaps moot when you consider that none of the other artists at Archie really make such an effort to do so.

Spaz totally had his own style when he started out, it wasn't like anything else official that had come out for the series at the time. Show me a billion different art styles and I'll be able to point out Spaz's original style in an instant.

He was the one who got me interested in drawing Sonic, after all! He was one of my heroes. O:

And, uh...

So does anybody know if these figurines happen to be re-releases of an older set or something?

I got the issue earlier today. They seem to be the 3 inch figures that were supposed to come out this month but we haven't heard anything about them since their initial anouncment. I believe they were supposed to have, in addition of the Translucent Sonic and Knuckles: Normal Sonic, Shadow, Tails, and Werehog. They also mentioned they would do characters that hadn't been made into figures yet. There was nothing about them being tied to the Archie comics though and the Werehog deffinately isn't Archie. Simply strange and unexpected though it is good to know they're still going to make them.

Knuckles figure looks awesome! Sonic...not to much. XD Seriously though, that's the best Knux figure I've ever seen!

However, I totally agree with Jake. Spaz's art style is awfully unoriginal. It used to be! Alot of his original comic covers were amazing, with lots of great detail and hard work put into them. But then he suddenly started to copy Uekawa's style for a while, and it made me cringe. .__. His style nowadays isn't what it used to be either.

Strange that he (possibly?) only did art for Sonic though. Why not Knux too? O.o

Apparently, Jazwares plans to release the figures individually, too. The others include normal Sonic, Tails, Shadow, Werehog, and Black Knight (not sure if this is Sonic with Caliburn or what). Knuckles' eyes look kind of odd compared to the prototype, but it could be much worse. Case in point?

TIKnuckles.jpg

^ THIS is why I'm thankful Toy Island no longer has the Sonic license. :P

If Jazware's figurines are well-sculpted, I'd actually like to collect a couple of them, depending on their price. :/ I don't normally collect Sonic stuff at all, since I think most of it looks bland and, at times, off model, but I've always wanted at least one Sonic and Tails figurine, so in a way it would fulfill one of my long-forgotten childhood desires.

If Jazware's figurines are well-sculpted, I'd actually like to collect a couple of them, depending on their price. :/ I don't normally collect Sonic stuff at all, since I think most of it looks bland and, at times, off model.

The Jazwares line is a bit hit-and-miss. While their original sculpts are spectacular, they've also re--released several of the sometimes off-model Toy Island figures. I DEFINITELY recommend getting ahold of some of their original figures, though. Those include:

-Sonic the Werehog

-Black Knight Sonic with Caliburn

-A variant of Black Knight Sonic with a normal hand and no Caliburn

You can find them at Toys 'R' Us stores for about $10 each, and they're worth it, IMO - the regular Sonic is up on my "truly epic figures" shelf. XD

EDIT: Also, if you guys are interested, I found a prototype pic of their 3-inch Tails from the same line. It gives you an idea as to how articulated these guys will be:

Tails3in.jpg

Edited by KururuSouchou

I DEFINITELY recommend getting ahold of some of their original figures, though. Those include:

-Sonic the Werehog

-Black Knight Sonic with Caliburn

-A variant of Black Knight Sonic with a normal hand and no Caliburn

Looks like the transparent blue figure is another Sonic made from the same mould as the ones mentioned above.

Tails looks great!