Awoo.

Sonic Mania GI Preview - Sonic 2 Zone Confirmed

Wraith

Tails-610.jpg

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/sonic_mania/b/playstation4/archive/2017/06/08/a-sneak-peek-at-the-new-chemical-factory-level.aspx?utm_content=bufferc31a7&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

More new Mania gameplay/info, this time for Chemical Plant Zone from Sonic 2. Footage is included in the article linked above.

The Zone list is now:
Green Hill Zone
Chemical Plant Zone
Flying Battery Zone
Stardust Speedway Zone

Studiopolis Zone
Mirage Saloon Zone

I'll embed the gameplay here as soon as it's up on youtube.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, the level itself looks good, but I wished we got some other stage, since we already have Chemical Plant in Generations.

I'm here for a new remix though, it sounds very good.

EDIT: I didn't see the Tails footage. That looks VERY good. I'm hyped again.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd be inclined to be miffed about CPZ again after Generations, but it looks and sounds so good. They also seem to be doing quite a lot different with those wall jump panels and whatever that Portal-style gel stuff is. Neat!

• Thumbs Up 3

That's a little disappointing considering Generations and all, would have preferred a zone not noticed as much but still obviously it looks cool. 

Also very interesting how we get to see both act 1 and act 2. Act 2 seems to be inside of a structure. Some inspiration from Wacky Workbench with that pool of bouncy slime, and I've never really seen platforms like those purple ones you hang onto before in any classic Sonic game. That swirling tube Tails slides down is taken from Quartz Quadrant. Also note you can actually decide what direction you are going in the act 2 tubes, reminds me of S&K Death Egg. 

2mNKqzUnSMyYFBi3VbxuQw.png

Also, I get some Hydrocity vibes from the way you can see partially another path composed from the loop. That means there may be more parts directly inspired from Hydrocity. I think it's a pretty safe bet Hydrocity won't be showing up with how similar Chemical Plant is. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh no...what the hell did they do to the music? It's supposed to be a heavy song. Sounds so tame. And why even Chemical Plant again? My Mania-hype went down.

Chemical plant looks and sounds pretty cool. Kinda sad that oil ocean or metropolis zone didn't get in as the factory stage for mania. At least there is still hope for a sonic 3 level guys and you know that didn't show up in generations.

Chemical Plant probably isn't what I would've picked since Generations already did it, but it is one of Sonic 2's most memorable stages, and they're doing plenty to give this version its own unique feel (at least for act 2): even in just a short video we've got sticky moving panels, bouncy goo, changing the goo in some way with those giant syringes, and mixing in Carnival Night spiral tubes and Metallic Madness-ish tube branch selection.

Also bouncy goop and oversized test tubes make me think of Shovel Knight and that's a good association in my book.

• Thumbs Up 9

Just now, Diogenes said:

Chemical Plant probably isn't what I would've picked since Generations already did it, but it is one of Sonic 2's most memorable stages, and they're doing plenty to give this version its own unique feel (at least for act 2): even in just a short video we've got sticky moving panels, bouncy goo, changing the goo in some way with those giant syringes, and mixing in Carnival Night spiral tubes and Metallic Madness-ish tube branch selection.

Also bouncy goop and oversized test tubes make me think of Shovel Knight and that's a good association in my book.

I'd say they're closer to Quartz Quadrant than anything else. 

Good catch with the tubes being from Metallic Madness though. I was thinking Death Egg. 

7 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

I'd say they're closer to Quartz Quadrant than anything else.

Looking at both I'm pretty sure they're taking more from Carnival Night's. CNZ's have that more compressed spiral, a solid nub on the top, and two paths depending on which side you enter. QQ's have a looser spiral, usually drop you in through a funnel, and only have one path.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Diogenes said:

Looking at both I'm pretty sure they're taking more from Carnival Night's. CNZ's have that more compressed spiral, a solid nub on the top, and two paths depending on which side you enter. QQ's have a looser spiral, usually drop you in through a funnel, and only have one path.

That's right, yes. I was looking more at the tube itself since it's glass but yes the entry and exits are more like CN it's true. 

10 minutes ago, Blitz 'n Burst said:

Reeaally hope this doesn't mean no Hydrocity

I reaallly doubt Hydrocity is showing up. Chemical Plant (especially with some of the changes) is very similar to Hydrocity. 

I don't mind about Generations. Chemical Plant is probably the best Sonic 2 stage. It deserves to be in Mania. So glad they included it! :D

Also, that Green Hill act 2 boss: ÓSOM! :o 

5 hours ago, Josh said:

Tails-610.jpg

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/sonic_mania/b/playstation4/archive/2017/06/08/a-sneak-peek-at-the-new-chemical-factory-level.aspx?utm_content=bufferc31a7&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

More new Mania gameplay/info, this time for Chemical Plant Zone from Sonic 2. Footage is included in the article linked above.

The Zone list is now:
Green Hill Zone
Chemical Plant Zone
Flying Battery Zone
Stardust Speedway Zone

Studiopolis Zone
Mirage Saloon Zone

I'll embed the gameplay here as soon as it's up on youtube.

YESE FINALLY CHEMICAL PLANT AND TAILS ARE MY FAVORITE