Awoo.

Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back

AlphaRuby

Gotta admit...I should've seen this coming.

It's funny how I started off legit interested in this from the start because of the world-wide reaction, meme potential, and a good game that couldn't possibly go wrong....

Cept it did, when I saw the whole game through a walkthrough, it looked very boring and lackluster.

There was barely anything interesting or unique in the game, especially since the Bubsy twitter tried to hype it up as some huge surprise or something.

Also, trying to actually jab at Sonic pretty confirmed Bubsy lives in a glass house. 

Welp, back to the forgotten gaming chamber for you bobcat....looks like your career went wrong again.

I know I'm beating a dead mascot here (Even though he deserves it), but here's one last nail in his coffin:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/11/03/bubsy-the-woolies-strike-back-review

The verdict quote from the written review sums this game up perfectly:  "Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back revives a dormant platforming adventurer… and he’s welcome to leave again any time now."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2
  • Fist Bump 3

That is one painfully generic platformer.

I'm not even sure how you get any more basic than that. Who thought this was a good idea? I wouldn't pay $5 for this.. And then to sandwich its release between Sonic and Mario?

even with the smallish budget it would take to make something like this, I'm not even sure the dev team will be able to recoup what they put into this. What was the point?

On 11/1/2017 at 10:22 PM, Fusion-Demon said:

Uh yeah, about that...

tumblr_oyeb23QMdG1r9xhpho1_1280.png

Turns out he wasn't wrong in the slightest. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 5

So, umm, I guess I'll swallow my pride and admit that I bought this game. Here's my personal impression of Bubsy: TWSB.

First, I'll start with the positive. I feel like I always end up being a Bubsy apologist, but I've got to at least give credit where it's due. The game itself controls just fine, once you get used to how Bubsy handles. The glide now also acts as sort of a double jump as well, which was jarring at first, but it definitely comes in handy. Also, the new pounce move is pretty useful once you get the flow of it.

Next, the music overall is actually pretty enjoyable. It's nowhere near the level of a good Sonic soundtrack, but, a few of the songs, especially the boss music, I found to be really catchy.

I suppose that covers the positive, so now I'll talk about what I didn't like about the game. The biggest problem with Bubsy: TWSB is, without a doubt, the game's length. I've put about two hours in myself, so the whole "40 minutes" thing seems a bit exaggerated (although, I was taking my time trying to get as many yarn balls as I could). Either way though, this game is inexcusably short. Also, as has been stated many times, the graphics and level design are both pretty bland. It's not too big of a problem since I was amused enough playing through the levels, but, they definitely do all kind of start to look the same. Also, for better or for worse, this game is way easier than the original Bubsy games. You start each level with nine lives no matter how many you had previously, and there are checkpoints everywhere. With that being said, there's still enough of a challenge to make it satisfying.

So, overall, I really don't think that Bubsy: TWSB is a bad game like it's being made out to be. It's not great either, though, and I really can't justify the price for how short of a game it is. I don't think I could recommend this game to most people. I personally don't regret buying it though. If you didn't already like Bubsy to begin with, then this game isn't going to change your mind. If, however, you're like me and actually have a fondness for the original Bubsy games from the 16-bit days, and you have extra money to blow on something that isn't going to last you very long, then, and only then, this game might be worth checking out. It was nice seeing an old friend from my childhood again.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2

I'll probably be picking up this game soon. I do wish it had a Switch port though. Would love to play Bubsy on the go.

Bubsy holds a very special place in my heart since I grew up playing the first game on the SNES. I'm glad he's come back, even if he'll be leaving again soon.

I'm still crossing my fingers he's here to stay though.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/3/2017 at 4:06 PM, SonicLegends said:

Bubsy having a metacritic score of 51. It's funny that Bubsy thought he had a shot and could actually make a jab at Sonic.

As if making "a jab at Sonic" is a particularly difficult hurdle to clear in 2017? A phoned in attempt at nostalgia pandering is only notable because most other mascots did that at the beginning of the decade.

On 11/3/2017 at 5:10 PM, SonicLegends said:

It's just funny that some people were going about comparing Bubsy's "revival" game with Forces.

Forces is hardly out of the woodwork yet.

Gotta say, I feel kinda sorry for the poor bobcat. xDD Growing up, I played the hell out of Bubsy 2 and loved it.

Admittedly, compare to all the other Bubsy games in the past, especially the notorious Bubsy 3D, this is by far the best Bubsy game. 

Despite not owning the game, for starters, $30 seems like alot for a game if it's THAT short like most people say. A friend of mine did own it, so I tried myself. Judging by the trailers, game reviews, and a bit of gameplay, its not as great. Not horrible, but simply there are better platform games. I mean it controls ok and the music is good. But it isn't very fun. Or anything mind blowing. 

Good job for Accolade for making somewhat improved their series at least.

For those that wonder what's wrong with the other Bubsy games, more specifically the ones before Bubsy 3D, how Bubsy control is sloppy. He moves WAAAY too fast and it barely gives you enough time to react properly to obstacle and enemies. And there's falling damage, which shouldn't be in a 2D platformer.  There's some questionable hit detection when you jump on platforms or on obstacles. I remember playing the first one once long time ago and I was more frustrated than anything how the game plays. And Bubsy's character can be annoying for the most part. 

Actually, this person can point it out better of the flaws of each game. You're welcome.

13 hours ago, Flora85 said:

For those that wonder what's wrong with the other Bubsy games, more specifically the ones before Bubsy 3D, how Bubsy control is sloppy. He moves WAAAY too fast and it barely gives you enough time to react properly to obstacle and enemies. And there's falling damage, which shouldn't be in a 2D platformer.  There's some questionable hit detection when you jump on platforms or on obstacles.

Yes, most of us have probably watched JonTron

On 11/3/2017 at 4:19 PM, PaddyFancy said:

Better than Sonic 06 and Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric.

Garbage is still garbage. The Metacritic score updated for it now and it's PS3 47 and PC 44 compared to 06's score of Xbox360 46 and PS3 43.

On 11/6/2017 at 6:56 PM, SonicLegends said:

Garbage is still garbage. The Metacritic score updated for it now and it's PS3 47 and PC 44 compared to 06's score of Xbox360 46 and PS3 43.

Assuming you meant S4 in the bold area there, Bubsy's sinking now down to 46% on the PS4 Metacritc.

2 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

Assuming you meant S4 in the bold area there, Bubsy's sinking now down to 46% on the PS4 Metacritc.

Whoops and yeah now they're equal lol.

• Chuckle 1