Awoo.

Archie Sonic Hiatus Discussion

Big Panda

1 hour ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Wow, sounds like I missed out on all the fun. Oh well.

And yeah, Archie's announcement of backpedaling their whole new direction thing is both amusing and cringeworthy.

Wait. What? This is a thing that happened?!

Hmm. Seems like this has been a while in coming, and I just wasn't aware. I don't know enough about what's going on, but it makes perfect sense that people who like a comic series that's considered so classic these days also like that specific classic, all-ages aspect to it that may be lost in the All-New, All-Different lineup. (For the record, "All-Different" is a term used by Marvel, not Archie; when I use it do describe Archie's All-New line, I'm going out of my way to poke fun at both publishers.)

IMG_2771.thumb.JPG.14beccabcc81bd909e018b66a388c07d.JPG

I feel like some of the charm is lost in this new art, though. It's the faces and hair for me. Betty and Veronica don't hit me as quite as beautiful off the bat, and Archie doesn't look quite as lovable. Again, it's in the faces. I wish I could describe it better. Maybe they can work things out, though, and blend the new art style to more closely resemble the older style without loosing the more dynamic aspects they're going for. It's not horrible, and I'm sure it's still a work in progress. It's also possible I just need to get used to it, but it'll be odd having three versions of Archie out there: classic Archie, "Classic" Archie, and All-New Archie.

Yeah, they should really make this "Classic" version less distinguishable from the classic version, while still updating it.

Also, I wonder how or if this new line will parallel or diverge from the All-New books.

From the sounds of it, it's literally classic Archie with the shorter, comedic, continuity-light (if at all) stories. The only diffence being that the characters are modelled to more closely resemble their Riverdale actors.

Aside from that, they'll have no bearing on the "new" Archie comics.

• Thumbs Up 1

So intriguing.

Aaaaaaand the art may be growing on me already. Now I wanna see some actual panels and page-work. This may give Archie an opportunity to reach back out to people they may have lost in their All-New, All-Different line along with the possible options of turning them into graphic novels / trade paperbacks if they want and eventually more digests. It's like the possibilities feed on themselves and multiply. Assuming this new line doesn't flop.

On the subject of general Archie:

• As seen in the new solicits, another title suddenly missing is the new Josie and the Pussycats. Sure enough, I checked the subs page and they are nowhere to be found...
  • The third issue of Betty & Veronica finally dropped last week. There is no mention of the potential fourth issue at the back, nor has a fourth issue appeared in solicits as of yet. Despite this, subscriptions for the series are still available.
  • Thumbs Up 3

What I've heard about B&V hasn't been that great, so I'm not surprised if it's canned or at least going on hiatus. Gonna predict it's getting a new creative team, and I think Jughead will ultimately come back too. Assuming they're still serious about the whole New Archie initiative. I kinda hope they don't just give up on it since there's a lot of potential there.

I think the issue is that there was only truly two series that actually changed with the reboot. Archie, and Jughead. Archie being a widely different thing, with actual story arcs, more realism etc, and generally being good, while Jughead balanced realism with fantasy/imagination and seemed to be really well received for doing so. From what I heard, Betty and Veronica is just the same shit we had before, only with the more realistic artstyle, while Life with Kevin even keeps the same artstyle as the original Archie comics.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I think the issue is that there was only truly two series that actually changed with the reboot. Archie, and Jughead. Archie being a widely different thing, with actual story arcs, more realism etc, and generally being good, while Jughead balanced realism with fantasy/imagination and seemed to be really well received for doing so. From what I heard, Betty and Veronica is just the same shit we had before, only with the more realistic artstyle, while Life with Kevin even keeps the same artstyle as the original Archie comics.

LwK actually stays more in line with the classic Archie humour too.

Just read part 2 of "Over the Edge" and I just realised issue 24's cover totally spoils who died...

6 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Just read part 2 of "Over the Edge" and I just realised issue 24's cover totally spoils who died...

...Uh, Betty? That's my guess based off the variant.

• Thumbs Up 1

...So, was it Sonic?

*Searches for Sonic on the cover of All-New, All Different Archie #24*

Spoiler

If they seriously killed off Betty, then knowingly or not they killed All-New, All-Different Archie.

Edit: Ah, I didn't read your spoiler, @Ernest-Panda. *Claps*

Non-spoiler edit: "Are you excited to see Archie and Reggie finally settle this war like men? Let us know your thoughts down below in the comments." -Nerdist

Yes, because what real men do is allow their petulant interpersonal squabbles to escalate into illegal activities that put themselves and their loved ones in danger. I seriously have no patience for prescribed immaturity and manufactured drama like this in fiction. Can people not tell stories without making their own characters unlikable idiots anymore? Sheesh, it's like all our fictional characters have been infected by horror genre stupidity and all writers have been transformed into monsters who want nothing but to destroy the lives of their characters.

Can't we tell good, uplifting stories anymore about people overcoming the odds and trying to do what's right?

*Folds up soap box*

• Thumbs Up 4

Anyone know what Ian said on Bumblecast 42-43 about the Sonic Comics? In a response tweet to someone he said Sonic comics aren't cancelled and it was covered in those episodes.

4 hours ago, Evercross said:

Anyone know what Ian said on Bumblecast 42-43 about the Sonic Comics? In a response tweet to someone he said Sonic comics aren't cancelled and it was covered in those episodes.

I looked at the twitter thread, and then got excited. Then I looked into it and realized those Bumblekasts are older therefore likely just the ones where he said they were still in talks.

• Thumbs Up 2

Trust me, if he had said anything significant recently. I would know about it. 

Yep. I just re-listened to both podcasts (Edit: Okay, I admit it was my first time; I'd previously left off at BK #42 due to podcast-listening busyness and lack of interest in Samurai Jack, the episode's subject matter). The issue of the comic delays isn't broached in #42, which instead contains the answer to life, the universe, and everything, which in turn apparently involves Samurai Jack, potentially explaining one or more of my life issues (but not state or fate of the Sonic comics, so one life issue down).

Here, however, is the quote from BumbleKast #43. The question is asked at 51:33, and the quote is Ian speaking.

What's going on with the comic? Well, as Archie has said on Twitter, on BleedingCool.com, on other venues, they're in talks with Sega about the future of the book. And that's it. They're in talks, and when a decision is made, we'll all find out. Patience. Patience, grasshopper.

Sorry to quote you directly like that, Ian (I'm sure his watchful eye sees everything), but I think you put it more succinctly in your own words than I could have paraphrased.

Edit 2: In BK #42, the topic of thirty-something-year-old consumers of children's' entertainment is obliquely discussed, which is perhaps still relevant to the topic at hand, at least in my case, and may after all be the personal issue enlightenment I knew the episode bearing that number must contain.

• Thumbs Up 2

17 hours ago, Borvoc said:

Yep. I just re-listened to both podcasts (Edit: Okay, I admit it was my first time; I'd previously left off at BK #42 due to podcast-listening busyness and lack of interest in Samurai Jack, the episode's subject matter). The issue of the comic delays isn't broached in #42, which instead contains the answer to life, the universe, and everything, which in turn apparently involves Samurai Jack, potentially explaining one or more of my life issues (but not state or fate of the Sonic comics, so one life issue down).

Here, however, is the quote from BumbleKast #43. The question is asked at 51:33, and the quote is Ian speaking.

Sorry to quote you directly like that, Ian (I'm sure his watchful eye sees everything), but I think you put it more succinctly in your own words than I could have paraphrased.

Edit 2: In BK #42, the topic of thirty-something-year-old consumers of children's' entertainment is obliquely discussed, which is perhaps still relevant to the topic at hand, at least in my case, and may after all be the personal issue enlightenment I knew the episode bearing that number must contain.

Thanks for checking into this and letting us know what was said. He essentially said what we already knew. Though, I suppose him responding to a tweet on the 17th saying the comic isn't cancelled is one bright side. Back to waiting for more information.

True. Though you could also say that the books aren't technically cancelled until the cancellation is actually publicly announced. I'm still hoping that something can be worked out, whatever's going on.

• Thumbs Up 1

It was also brought up on the official Sonic live stream yesterday and Aaron said he hoped they would have something to announce soon.

• Thumbs Up 2

lol. Aaron can make dank memes about the comics being officially cancelled when Sega's finally ready to fess up. Okay, I'm just kidding, but wouldn't that be hilariously tone deaf? I know Aaron's not like that, but there's an alternate parody universe in my mind where that happens.

Seriously, though, it's good to have the topic mentioned and to hear that we might hear something sometime soon-ish maybe.

Does Aaron even have knowledge about what's going on with the comic? I know he's Sonic's social media guy, but the comic's fate doesn't sound like something he'd need to be in the know about.

He probably knows that Archie and Sega are talking, but I wouldn't necessarily bet on anything more than that. Heck, that might be all that Archie and Sega know, at least concerning outcome.

30 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

Also:

Did we already know this was back on track?

#16 was the last one to appear in solicits before the series vanished, so this means nothing.

• Thumbs Up 1