Awoo.

Archie Sonic Hiatus Discussion

Big Panda

16 minutes ago, Terriful said:

Whatever happens, I'm hoping that Genesis of a Hero wraps up. After the Shattered World Crisis Saga and that, it'd be a good ending point for the series if it had to be. 

Personally I think a bunch of Classic inspired self-contained stories are really not the way I wanted the series to end. I mean, what's that got to do with anything? We already got Megadrive for that and Megadrive does it better that the classic stuff in the main books.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I already said this, but Forces could be a good, high-stakes endgame. Just as long as they don't rush it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

Personally I think a bunch of Classic inspired self-contained stories are really not the way I wanted the series to end. I mean, what's that got to do with anything? We already got Megadrive for that and Megadrive does it better that the classic stuff in the main books.

Not the way most of us would want it to go out, but at least it would wrap up the current arc.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dang. Two pages of debate and speculation since I turned in last night. I don't expect to convince anyone who wants another reboot, but what I can do is put forth my opinion. Here are the reasons I think a perfect (or as close to perfect as circumstances allow) continuation of the books as they were would be the smart decision:

1. Retention: A continuation, as much as is possible, of the previous continuity would logically keep the largest amount current readers, whereas a full reboot isn't guaranteed to bring on any dedicated new readers nor maintain any previous readers.
  2. Quality: With some degree of continuation and a retention of as much previous staff as possible, a predictable level of quality is guaranteed, whereas a full reboot with a new staff is a big risk that is likely to not pay off.
  3. Longevity: Love or hate Archie Sonic comics, their longevity cannot be denied. A continuation is likely to keep that ball rolling, whereas a reboot could easily be a flash in the pan, unable to capture the lightning in a bottle that its predecessor stumbled onto.
  4. Legacy: Finally, and closely related to the previous point, there's a reason that Marvel and DC keep un-rebooting back to their pre-reboot numbers every time they near big anniversary issues. People may be be intimidated by big issue numbers on some level, but I think this claim is far overplayed. These numbers also add a level of grandeur that can conversely make new readers feel like they're becoming a part of something big. Readers who start thus in the middle of a run also have the benefit of continuing their reading either backward or forward from where they began, as they desire. If the writer and publisher can make the jumping-on points clear (as Archie has done with their arc numbers being larger than their issue numbers), they can keep the prestige factor while negating the intimidation factor. Whatever happens, Sega needs to keep the issue numbers, as the title of longest-running video game comic book is an important bragging right and potentially powerful draw for new readers.

Really, the main undercurrent to the above is predictability. I'm okay with people disagreeing with my points, and I'm okay with people wanting a reboot. What actively irritates me are the haters who project their own personal desires for the books' destruction out into reality and decide that since they want a reboot, it's obviously the best thing for the universe. I don't like Sonic Boom, but I'm happy that others do. I'm even happy that I get to make fun of it and enjoy parodies about it, and I'm under no delusion that killing it would automatically mean that something better would come along.

We're all in this together, whatever happens, and I know my thoughts, no matter how logical, won't affect business decisions so far above caring about what I think or even wanting what's best for the fans. Maybe this'll be just one more door I can close on this fandom, but we'll see. These are my thoughts. Debate, disagree, applaud, or ignore as you see fit.

• Thumbs Up 6

@Borvoc; "Here, have a roasted sandwich." :D

But seriously talking, yeah. The thing is whether or not Sega trusts the "momentum" they've got from the upcoming games enough to go and play Russian roulette of kinds with their comics franchise (or try to make it survive the huge loop with the current speed if that one suits you better), or do they try their best to "play it safe" with having at least some kind of feel of continuation and legacy whatever the outcome is (excluding the most permanent one).

I'd like the latter more by the way, if it isn't obvious enough at this point... ^_^

PleasekeeptheArchiecastwhatevertheoutcomeisandpleasekeepMr.Flynntooohpleeeeeaaaaseee!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

@Borvoc; "Here, have a roasted sandwich." :D

That's one of the best parts! :D

I'm having a hard time figuring out what you want, man. (Just kidding.)

Edit: Sometimes you just gotta have a roasted sandwich.1

Just now, Borvoc said:

That's one of the best parts! :D

I'm having a hard time figuring out what you want, man. (Just kidding.)

*joke alert*

"What I want" and "what I need", Sega's "got it aaall". I hope they will give it too since "that stuff don't appeal to meee" what they've shown in recent games. -_- <- Veery bad "What I Want" (Dead or Alive) lyrics-based joke...

I also want to you to not be lousy and have that roasted sandwich like one sometimes should, preferably before steak and cake. :D No evil ham though mind you, we don't know where it has been stored in before after all... :huh:

*joke alert -off*

And I want the comics the way they were before the Archie time started stopping. Thanks for asking. Now we may continue with the main programs since we got this business sorted out. ^_^

• Thumbs Up 1

I really do think that SEGA and Archie had talks in the Fall of 2016 and things didn't work out, they went their separate ways, but contractually neither one could comment on the situation, disparage the other party or give the license to another publisher for a set amount of time (6 months?). SEGA has since signed with another publisher (IDW most likely, or KaBOOM! Studios) and the series will continue with a #1 issue but the old numbering will continue much like IDW's Walt Disney Comics and Stories which displays both the new number and the ongoing number.

IDW already publishes some TPBs for Archie (TMNT Adventures and classic Archie) so I could see them signing a deal to continue the reprints. Also, I could see Genesis of a Hero and Sonic Mega Drive: Overdrive not seeing their individual final issues published, but they will give the full stories trade paperbacks.

• Thumbs Up 3

^I'd pick that many times over complete reboot, it sounds a lot more likeable scenario to me at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Barry the Nomad said:

IDW already publishes some TPBs for Archie (TMNT Adventures and classic Archie) so I could see them signing a deal to continue the reprints.

Archie doesn't have any ownership of TMNT Adventures. That's done through Nickelodeon and Mirage before them. When Archie did a trade back in 2009, they had to re-license the issues from Mirage.

The same applies to Sonic, too. The rights for trades of old issues would be picked up through Sega without any involvement with Archie and would probably be included with the license for new issues. Although digital seems to be a different deal. Through all of this, Archie's Sonic section has never left Comixology.

• Thumbs Up 1

Regardless of TMNT rights, classic Archie reprints show that IDW has a working relationship with them, so should Archie need to be involved at all there is already that professional connection.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, RictalRose0 said:

Based solely on the solicit, I think #292 sounds like it would've been a fitting end, at the very least. Sonic and the FF parting ways and all that...jeez, imagine if that issue had come out before this "hiatus."

Anyway, can't say I'm super optimistic about what they have to announce. Well, it's more like I don't want to get my hopes up. If they've got good news (whether the book is coming back as is, or the license has moved on to IDW, or something else nobody's considered idk), great. If not, well, in my eyes the book had a good run for about ten years, so I can't be too upset.

• Thumbs Up 1

My personal theory is that there's no actual news to be had this week; Aaron and Ian just found a way to somehow personally monetize traffic and activity in this particular thread and are cashing in.

• Thumbs Up 2

Random idea:

The comic reboots its issue numbers, but not the continuity. That being said, it doesn't pick up where it left off either. It goes back into the current continuity's past and continues from there, with "Genesis of a Hero" being repurposed into a "prequel" for it.

@Ernest-Panda That's an idea I hadn't considered. I'd still guard those issue numbers like gold if I were Sega, but that would be an interesting idea. Thinking about it, I guess I'd prefer the comics stay "modern" with "classic" flashbacks or even a "classic" tie-in book, but we'll see what happens. I'm the kind of guy who prefers jumping into the middle of the action instead of getting an origin story all the time and having to wait for things to build up.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Random idea:

The comic reboots its issue numbers, but not the continuity. That being said, it doesn't pick up where it left off either. It goes back into the current continuity's past and continues from there, with "Genesis of a Hero" being repurposed into a "prequel" for it.

That doesn't sound too alien actually, since it would get rid of the last thing tying pre-SGW and post-SGW continuities together thus making things a bit easier, in the case old-continuity stuff gets too troublesome to reprint in any form, be it GN's or digital format, to stop reprint it. My logic is based on the fact new readers wouldn't probably stumble into the old continuity that easily, or even find it important enough for understanding the outgoing plot since that wouldn't be so connected to it anymore as it is now, even now it's pretty faint trace.

I hope I expressed myself well enough, I'm no native in English after all... :blushing: 

3 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

@Ernest-Panda That's an idea I hadn't considered. I'd still guard those issue numbers like gold if I were Sega, but that would be an interesting idea. Thinking about it, I guess I'd prefer the comics stay "modern" with "classic" flashbacks or even a "classic" tie-in book, but we'll see what happens. I'm the kind of guy who prefers jumping into the middle of the action instead of getting an origin story all the time and having to wait for things to build up.

I see you're into the Tarantino-kind of timelines then, eh? :D

But yeah, I agree with numbers just because it would probably give more attention to the comics (thus the games would get some too, considering the comics are about their game character(s) too) in the long run.

Starting all over could bring some attention at first, but it's something like when you're cold and your coffee gets spilled on you and its warmth getting in contact with the skin; it feels warm for a moment but it'll soon make you feel even colder if you don't get it dried/off... <_<

I had to make changes to the original version of this "saying", it wasn't something I'd like to show in a place where one can never be certain how young people read this...

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm jumping into this without reading any of the previous 11 pages (It's bad practice I know) , but I have been seeing news that we will be getting some information about whats going on/ whats going to happen with the archie sonic comics. ( Along with forces news too )

Edited by MechTech

@MechTech Eh. I consider it completely reasonable policy to not overburden oneself with stale news in old forum posts. Yeah, we're supposed to be getting news this week. Many speculate that it will be delivered at Comic-Con, and everyone's speculating, projecting, and opining as to what the news will be.

7 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

@MechTech Eh. I consider it completely reasonable policy to not overburden oneself with stale news in old forum posts. Yeah, we're supposed to be getting news this week. Many speculate that it will be delivered at Comic-Con, and everyone's speculating, projecting, and opining as to what the news will be.

Yeah, just gotta be a case of waiting and seeing really.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aw, man. You gotta give some grandiose, off the wall prediction/speculation so that you can be proven wrong with the rest of us. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Uh, sure thing.

*Totally doesn't have spies dotted throughout SDCC as we speak*

• Thumbs Up 5

<_< Uh huh. So if Aaron were to go missing for any length of time, I'm sure you'd have nothing to do with it, and nothing would be able to be traced back to this forum or specifically this thread.

• Thumbs Up 2

The announcement is going to be, the comics never went on hiatus or got cancelled. We've released issues every month, but only one copy of each. To those lucky enough to find it, they will be worth a fortune.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Evercross said:

The announcement is going to be, the comics never went on hiatus or got cancelled. We've released issues every month, but only one copy of each. To those lucky enough to find it, they will be worth a fortune.

better get to ebay then!

• Thumbs Up 2