Awoo.

Archie Sonic Hiatus Discussion

Big Panda

Does anybody know if those Sonic Digest things sell well? From what I've seen the Archie Digests are pretty much the only exposure comics get outside of book stores and comic shops, and I would assume they at least get an alright amount of attention due to being put in grocery stores and convenience stores. Archie is pretty much the only major publisher in the comic industry who's allowed to sent their stuff to a wider range of places from what I've heard so I'm wondering if Sonic moving to a new publisher would impact the sales a whole lot.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Paaaaaaaa said:

Does anybody know if those Sonic Digest things sell well? From what I've seen the Archie Digests are pretty much the only exposure comics get outside of book stores and comic shops, and I would assume they at least get an alright amount of attention due to being put in grocery stores and convenience stores. Archie is pretty much the only major publisher in the comic industry who's allowed to sent their stuff to a wider range of places from what I've heard so I'm wondering if Sonic moving to a new publisher would impact the sales a whole lot.

If all comic books needed digests to survive in the market, big names like Marvel and DC would've been doomed years ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, I was told there was something regarding the Fulop case, in which SEGA wants to get out of it and are doing all they can to do so. Has there been anything about this mentioned? I was told it was from the case file.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Paaaaaaaa That's not an angle I'd considered. Are the Sonic digests ever actually in stores? I've seen Archie digests, and I know that Sonic digests are/were a thing, but I don't remember seeing them in a checkout line before. This could be one potential cost of Sega potentially moving the Sonic books to a different publisher. Unless they still had Archie release the digests similar to how Archie is going to be releasing digests for Marvel soon.

@Ernest-Panda The potential problem is that Sonic comics aren't big like Marvel or DC, so I wonder if the digests are more helpful for the Sonic books. Then again, like I said, I don't remember actually seeing Sonic digests around anywhere. Maybe the Sonic books have enough of a built-in loyal fanbase to keep themselves going without having to be popular in comic book stores or be seen in the checkout lines.

@zephyrzaivian Huh. I hadn't heard that. Didn't we have the website of some fangirl who understands legalese explaining the case previously? I haven't heard anything recently, and I'd be curious to know if anything's changed.

4 hours ago, Barry the Nomad said:

Regardless of TMNT rights, classic Archie reprints show that IDW has a working relationship with them, so should Archie need to be involved at all there is already that professional connection.

My point being that if another publisher picked up the license, an existing relationship with Archie would be irrelevant. There's no scenario where Archie would be involved.

sONIC'S FUCKING DEAD.

I wonder if they'll release the last part of the Genesis of a Hero saga or leave it in eternal limbo. 

Calling it now, DC Comics Sonic The Hedgehog, coming out in 2018. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Swell, there goes one of the few remaining sources of good storytelling in the Sonic series. 

It was bad enough that the reboot tore away one universe but now the remaining universe, the only remaining place with a Knuckles in character, a ton of interesting characters and more is officially dead. I've been an Archie Sonic fan for nearly ten years now, and it truly saddens me that it's gone.

• Thumbs Up 5

Now watch as they reboot the comic to be more like the state of the games (Terrible stories with forced comedy) with Sonic, Tails and Eggman only with everyone else only around to act as cheerleaders.

• Thumbs Up 5

I hope they move to a better publisher, I really hope so... I would hate to see it end forever. I had a little  hope but with this confirmation  it's  gone.

• Thumbs Up 2

Why did this take 6+ months to announce? Did they want to wait for the gap of ending the license and OH BUT NOW THERE'S THIS NEW THING COMING to be narrow? I can't think of many other reasons.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well that blows. That's a whole 'nother crapton of Sonic characters that will only live on in artwork. Loosing a bunch from the reboot was bad enough, but loosing them all in one go like this? Including the Freedom Fighters??? Enough to make a grown man cry.

I could lament for days about this, but my curiosity immediately shifts to asking why it took so long to get this information out there. If Sega wanted to jump ship to another publisher, why not just do it? What was all the secrecy about..

• Thumbs Up 3

Disappointing. The comics were the only piece of good storytelling, writing, and characterization that just letting it go like that is just stupid. If Sega works with someone else I wonder if Ian Flynn can still work on the comics? If not, then there's no hope at all.

On the bright side, maybe Ken Penders will get off Sega's back for a while? I dunno.

• Thumbs Up 4

At least they said it's not the end of sonic in comics...

Now the waiting game continues, this time to see what's next.....

Spoiler

*cries in corner

596fe6512199b_sad.thumb.jpg.ffeebe3a6936b202da6459af4cdcb43b.jpg

*pleaseKeepTheFreedomFightersAndAllTheExtendedCastAndMostOfTheStaffThisMeansDefinitelyKeepIanAsTheHeadWriterPlsIbegUSEGA*

• Thumbs Up 6

Good thing I played the skeptic over the whole thing and expected cancellation.

It doesn't hurt so bad! XD

Still sucks tho...

• Thumbs Up 4

Welp... the ride is finally over. I hope the comics continue with a different publisher. And Ray gets to exist there...

Damn it.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Now watch as they reboot the comic to be more like the state of the games (Terrible stories with forced comedy) with Sonic, Tails and Eggman only with everyone else only around to act as cheerleaders.

They could instead have it like Boom (with others like Amy and Shadow) unless they really do plan for it to pass away so they can start a new show that is again like what you said.