Awoo.

Archie Sonic Hiatus Discussion

Big Panda

Woah. I didn't have the same attachment to the comic books as some of you did, but even so everytime I passed by the racks in a local store there was always copies of the latest issues about. This feels plain wrong, something your used to seeing all the time and its just been taken away from you.

*Sigh* This shouldn't be bothering me this much. I feel sad.

3 minutes ago, Soniman said:

I blame you for all this.

Ole fuckboy Penders continues to think his words hold some holy trove of wisdom. A blight on the medium he is, and nothing more.

• Thumbs Up 5

I think, for me, I knew this was coming--the signs were there, what I was told, etc.

But it was a hard week for me, personally. My first hero was Kermit the Frog--and we know what went down with that because that's been a mess. And then a family member passed away yesterday (and that sucks, but that's life), and then this happened to my second favorite fictional character growing up.

Idk, it feels like this week's been like a "reverse-Hanukkah" for me. But I could be melodramatic.

• Thumbs Up 4

If there's one bright side we might be able to pull from this shitty turn of events, with Mainline Archie over with, perhaps Ian is now in a position to conclude Lost Hedgehog Tales and maybe even include the plans for Overdrive, Post-Shattered World Crisis, and beyond?

• Thumbs Up 9

3 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

If there's one bright side we might be able to pull from this shitty turn of events, with Mainline Archie over with, perhaps Ian is now in a position to conclude Lost Hedgehog Tales and maybe even include the plans for Overdrive, Post-Shattered World Crisis, and beyond?

I agree. And maybe he can toss in Mega Man (we still haven't heard of that one's fate), the unmade Nintendo comics, and Jughead in there too? 

And I'm still speculating hard reboot under the new publisher. And the post by SEGA also mentions a new general direction for the series, so we can know the fates of Boom, DIMPS, etc as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I wouldn't count on it--I would think that Ian would want to keep doing odd-jobs with SEGA like writing episodes of Boom and (supposedly) being a script doctor for Forces. To maintain that relationship, he probably signed something where he isn't supposed to do other content like that.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, doctorbenMD said:

I wouldn't count on it--I would think that Ian would want to keep doing odd-jobs with SEGA like writing episodes of Boom and (supposedly) being a script doctor for Forces. To maintain that relationship, he probably signed something where he isn't supposed to do other content like that.

So far he's only done two Boom episodes, and it seems less and less likely that there will be a third season. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Detective Kaito said:

I REALLY hope Ian Flynn somehow stays writing for the series.

Expect the best, but prepare for the worst.

Put too much hope and see them get dashed, and it's gonna hurt like hell.

• Thumbs Up 9

This is bittersweet for me. Sonic was one of the first comics I ever read, and I've followed it more or less consistently since 2007, but I was frankly starting to become fatigued with it over the past year or so. Nonetheless, to see it end like this is sad and frustrating -- both for the fans and the creative staff. There's been some quality storytelling in this comic over the years (and some not so quality storytelling...), and it's been a significant part of the franchise for a lot of people. It's really the end of an era.

Anyway, they're saying it's not the end of Sonic in comics, so who knows? Maybe it'll go to a different publisher -- ideally one that's not as incompetent as Archie -- and it might even be good. And if not... well, the comic has lasted for over two decades, which is especially impressive given what the comic and franchise in general have gone through over the years (hell, back in the day they thought the comic wouldn't last past issue 50). It's been a fun ride, but if it's finally over, so be it.

I wish the Archie Sonic team the best.

• Thumbs Up 7

14 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

It'd be a godsend for me, I love seeing what could've happened had things followed track. 

But I doubt it. SEGA will probably stick to a NDA or some shenanigans in case they want to return to that path. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Detective Kaito said:

This is literally the closest I have ever come to hating someone. 

• Thumbs Up 7

So what is going to happen to all that subscriber money then? Moved to another product? Archie have made an absolute mess of everything and now the fallout will hurt everyone. Sonic will lose fans over the dead comic series. Archie will lose money because of idiocy. Penders says he can use all his stories without consequence. We suffer because of this mess. Just...man it's so dissapointing we'll never see Overdrive.

• Thumbs Up 9