Awoo.

Archie Sonic Hiatus Discussion

Big Panda

4 minutes ago, Dee Dude said:

What can I say?....no seriously, what can I say?

Everyone's saying pretty much speaks for me when I say this is Grade A+ bullshit.

So many dedicated years to working on what became such a fantastic comic series and being the longest running comic based on a video game and have that all go to dust.

It's ridiculous, this (post reboot obviously) hands down no contest had the best continuity in the entire franchise, it gave us so much amazing content that the games fail to give us.

World building, character interactions, callbacks, new characters, old characters being given the love they deserve, why it did it have to end like this, when there was so much to explore out of it?

I can't even to begin how much shit in the comic has yet to be explored, way too many to list off.

I don't even know who to hate for this, SEGA/Sonic Team or Archie?

I can't even imagine how the staff feels about this, Flynn, Yardley, Hernandez etc. 

Sonic was probably the best and only thing most of the crew worked in Archie and now they practically have to give up on their work.

Even when hearing about this, I still even had the MINIMALIST scrap of hope when they spoke of Sonic comics not coming to an end, however given it's a new direction, I'm done getting my hopes, unless I'm straight up proven wrong otherwise.

But hey! Atleast we still got the minimal cast of Sonic, Tails, Eggman, and Classic Sonic (he might as well be part of the cast at this fucking point.) with the side cheerleaders with forced writing and lackluster jokes amirite?

Forces might be an exception. And also Boom, even though it too is dying and has lackluster jokes and hideous disposable characters.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

Guys...this is the worst birthday present I've ever had.

I look forward to him getting smashed into the ground by the gavel of copyright justice, and driven to total bankruptcy.

• Thumbs Up 8

A truly sad day in Sonic history...

We can only hope that whatever new Sonic comic series is made will be just as good if not better somehow. I just hope whatever these new stories end up being won't just be complete rehashes of the games stories with almost nothing else to offer.

• Thumbs Up 3

Screw SEGA.  The comics were the last worthwhile piece of media this dying franchise had.  At this point all I can hope I guess is they let whichever publisher takes over puts out the unreleased issues of the Archie series alongside whatever heavily mandated book SEGA has em push out. 

R.I.P. Archie Sonic 1992-2017.

Of course as stated they could do what happened with Walt Disney Comics & Stories and just keep the old numbering.  Or they could keep the old canon as the "kids" book and make a new one for older audiances like how IDW has the main TMNT books for teens/adults and the Animated Adventures book for kids, but i'm not holding my breath.

• Thumbs Up 5

17 minutes ago, Miru the Living Planet said:

So far he's only done two Boom episodes, and it seems less and less likely that there will be a third season. 

Non-biased source? I mean, really? I get you don't like that series, but let's not try and ring in a doom bell on it for no good reason.

19 minutes ago, Soniman said:

what a despicable person, can't believe he's essiantly dancing on the grave of a beloved comic and tons of writers and artists lost a working opportunity as a result, fuck this scumbag, he shouldnt have the gall to act like this after getting what he wanted with the whole court fiasco

I reported him to twitter for threatening physical harm when he said "not quite, there's still someone's heart I need to drive a steak through."

Aren't words fun.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Soniman said:

what a despicable person, can't believe he's essiantly dancing on the grave of a beloved comic and tons of writers and artists lost a working opportunity as a result, fuck this scumbag, he shouldnt have the gall to act like this after getting what he wanted with the whole court fiasco

Especially since he was a huge part of WHY this is happening in the first place. Yeah mismanagement was a big part of the problem to be sure, but this guy is galling in his self-absorbed self-righteous egomania.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

I look forward to him getting smashed into the ground by the gavel of copyright justice, and driven to total bankruptcy.

More likely, he'll just be told that he can't do it. Also I get that Penders is a (massive) twat, and also possibly insane, but do you guys really hate him so much that you wanna see him suffer like that? Geez. 

Back on topic, someone really dropped the ball here. There's still a lot that needs to be answered, and I'm hoping now that the series is officially canned we'll start hearing more of the story.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Solly said:

More likely, he'll just be told that he can't do it. Also I get that Penders is a (massive) twat, and also possibly insane, but do you guys really hate him so much that you wanna see him suffer like that? Geez. 

Back on topic, someone really dropped the ball here. There's still a lot that needs to be answered, and I'm hoping now that the series is officially canned we'll start hearing more of the story.

I'll admit my original post was a bit extreme (Ken does that to you), but I really do want to see his face wiped clean of the smug egomania, even if briefly.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, doctorbenMD said:

I reported him to twitter for threatening physical harm when he said "not quite, there's still someone's heart I need to drive a steak through."

Aren't words fun.

So you're abusing the system 

• Thumbs Up 7

The saddest thing is:

I WANT to be angry about this, I'm practically filled with fury...but, seeing how I've seen this coming with these months of idiotic silence, I guess I couldn't truly feel my emotions out on the outside.

It's bullcrap man, so much glory and respect of the Sonic series and it's flushed down the damn toilet.

And speaking of which, I wish Ken good luck on selling his new toilet paper.

• Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, KHCast said:

So you're abusing the system 

No, I don't think so. He's making a threat. I'm reporting him for that threat.

7 minutes ago, doctorbenMD said:

Aren't words fun.

Yeah about that. Stop. Do not stoop to his level of that please. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Well, here's the first issue, expecting class and tact from Ken Penders is like expecting Knuckles to become a college professor, you're going to be mighty disappointed. To be honest though, Ken likely won't even end up in court at first if he attempted to sell the reprints. I'd imagine SEGA attempting a cease and desist first on him before going to the point of a full on lawsuit. I just don't understand his logic. How does the comic ending suddenly give you comic rights to the Sega cast?

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

So what is going to happen to all that subscriber money then? Moved to another product? Archie have made an absolute mess of everything and now the fallout will hurt everyone. Sonic will lose fans over the dead comic series. Archie will lose money because of idiocy. Penders says he can use all his stories without consequence. We suffer because of this mess. Just...man it's so dissapointing we'll never see Overdrive.

If I had to guess, I'd say it'll probably end up getting moved to My Pal Archie, because I just found out that my Jughead subscription seems to have been moved there without me ever being informed of this by Archie. (My subscriber info says I suddenly have a subscription to that book for the same number of issues I had left for Jughead.)

I just finished contacting Archie to ask for a refund for my remaining Sonic issues, so I'd recommend other subscribers do the same.  Well, unless you want to be subbed to a different Archie book instead.  Then I'd suggest contacting them to ask for that.

Either way, the subscription contact address is orderhelp@archiecomics.com

• Thumbs Up 5

My first thought upon hearing this from somebody who isn't interested in any comics, Sonic included-- what the ever loving flibbity fuck Sega and Archie?

There is definitely a backstory behind this. It isn't normal for comics to just end like this, without the comic writers seeming to know, unless something went horrifically wrong. Which I wouldn't put past Sega and especially Archie. I wonder if some of the lawsuits have anything to do with this-- ending a comic abruptly is less reputation damaging and less expensive for Sega's perspective than getting tangled in a massive creators' rights lawsuit that goes on for many years and losing badly or being forced into a settlement that's not in Sega's favor. Alternatively, Sega could have tried to play hardball with Archie or vice versa and it quickly went awry. Or hey, why not some combination of the two?

But still, for the sake of the people who liked Archie Sonic, I hope Sega manages to find a better, more competent comic publisher and can keep some of the old Archie writers. And hopefully this new direction is one that is actually good and not harried by excessive mandates. The good news is that Sega does seem more open to the extended cast and seemed to let the ones it undeniably owns the copyright to stick around in Archie until its untimely demise, so hopefully it will have the same policies regarding character use with the new comic as it did with the old.

Honestly, I don't know what would be worse. The comic continuing on as the problems between Sega and Archie escalate to the point where it begins to affect the quality of the comic with nobody knowing what happened until its too late to be saved, and with Sega likely assuming that the issue is Sonic comics as a whole and thus not requesting a new one. Or the comic suddenly ending in an abrupt, disrespectful manner, with a chance of the reasons for all this crap finally coming to light and a new comic coming along. Seems like a no-win situation to me.

Just now, Dejimon11 said:

I mean if I can play devils advocate here I'm sure he's not wrong maybe Archie probably did want to get rid of it but because it was their best seller they were like "nah". And let's be real if that lawsuit never happened we probably wouldnt have been in this situation. He's essentially the catalyst for everything that's happened. 

Well, that and companies don't really tend to care about properties that they don't own the rights to. And Archie does not own the rights to Sonic, so it didn't really care much. By the time its lax attitude reared its ugly head, it was too late to stop Penders and Sega used the opportunity to seize control and make its own decisions. Archie may have resented this and tried to regain control, or Sega made several poor decisions, or some combination of the two.

• Thumbs Up 8

And maybe how the merchandise line this year has been smaller, and and how Sega hasn't really promoted it outside of the streams anymore.

SEGA not being the greatest with promoting their products. Stop the presses. :U C'mon man, really?

How Boomerang has been treating it. 

More like Cartoon Network and hoh boy have they been called out for it bigtime. Hasn't stop the series from garnering views and praise, especially outside the US.

28 minutes ago, Miru the Living Planet said:

And also Boom, even though it too is dying and has lackluster jokes and hideous disposable characters.

Are you seriously just using this latest event as an excuse to shit on Boom so lazily? Oy vey.

And with no suitable evidence to back your claim either, for shame.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

Are you seriously just using this latest event as an excuse to shit on Boom so lazily? Oy vey.

Nay, if anything, I'm actually defending it with that statement.

Ken is a festering piece of shit. I am not sorry. That ego just pisses me off tonight. Its his fucking fault this went down well im sure some of it was thanks to him. Him and his poor mans crap artwork just to tell a crap story of his.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, Miru the Living Planet said:

Nay, if anything, I'm actually defending it with that statement.

By saying it's dying and all the negative, opinionated oversimplifications you spouted at it? What logic is there to that???

• Thumbs Up 3