Awoo.

Archie Sonic Hiatus Discussion

Big Panda

But why wait 6 months to tell us? And if the decision WAS made 6 months ago, why haven't Sega found another publisher already? What the hell is wrong with them?

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Legally they have to.

You paid for something.

They can't deliver it.

Refund pls.

Quoting myself because I should also add.

You will probably need to call them.

4 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

But why wait 6 months to tell us? And if the decision WAS made 6 months ago, why haven't Sega found another publisher already? What the hell is wrong with them?

Probably going to announce it next week.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Probably going to announce it next week.

Hopefully they do. This whole thing has been a mess.

• Thumbs Up 4

This is so sad. I loved reading the archie comics and honestly, they were my favourite canon . I love the way they handled the characters and introduced new ones. This is very disappointing. I hope whoever gets the comics next can do them justice.

• Thumbs Up 8

As a child I picked up issue 125 (the 10th anniversary) from my local convenience store and got absolutely hooked. Every 3-4 weeks I would sprint there with anticipation to see if they had the next issue in yet. Utter disappointment when they didn't and total joy when they did, the store clerks began to know what I was looking for whenever I came in. The series had wonderful art and solid stories to the Sonic-verse and the characters backgrounds. One of my favorite childhood memories.

Eventually the store stopped carrying them, so I stopped collecting. 

I wish the best to all the talented people who worked on the series.

• Thumbs Up 8

2 minutes ago, Sonicfan7 said:

As a child I picked up issue 125 (the 10th anniversary) from my local convenience store and got absolutely hooked. Every 3-4 weeks I would sprint there with anticipation to see if they had the next issue in yet. Utter disappointment when they didn't and total joy when they did, the store clerks began to know what I was looking for whenever I came in. The series had wonderful art and solid stories to the Sonic-verse and the characters backgrounds. One of my favorite childhood memories.

Eventually the store stopped carrying them, so I stopped collecting. 

I wish the best to all the talented people who worked on the series.

Stop. Stop giving me the feels, man. Too much feels in the past 12 hours.

• Thumbs Up 2

Man, I remember getting the issue where the OG robotnik returned and I was hooked ever since. It's really gonna be hard to say goodbye to this series.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, GucciBurr said:

sounds good to me lol

i never liked the satam/archie characters. wiping the slate clean with an entirely new sonic comic could also attract new fans

Well thousands of people did like those characters, so thats a bit of a heartless thing to say.

I mean lets be honest, Sonic alone is a pretty one dimensional character, the Freedom Fighters like Tails & Knuckles gave him more depth.  A rebooted comic without most of what gave Sonic an actual character would be boring and no better then the othdr shameless lazily slapped together liscensed comics from the 80's/90's.  Kids & adults alike deserve better.

• Thumbs Up 8

2 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Well thousands of people did like those characters

it's not like the archie/satam characters are even that well known. the only characters the average sonic fan recognizes are the game characters

getting rid of the archie/satam characters wouldn't cause some big backlash

7 minutes ago, GucciBurr said:

it's not like the archie/satam characters are even that well known. the only characters the average sonic fan recognizes are the game characters

Its not like Shadow, Rouge, Silver, Blaze The Chaotix or The Whisps are well known, getting rid of non-core game characters won't cause backlash.

See how that doesn't work now?  Every character from every incarnation has fans.  And yes it obviously has caused backlash or we wouldn't be having this conversation.

But again luck willing the next publisher will be allowed to use the Freedom Fighters as well as the AOSTH & extended/obscure game chars like Ian & co were so this will hopefully be a non-issue. ?

• Thumbs Up 7

Just now, SonicComicFanboy said:

Its not like Shadow, Rouge, Silver, Blaze The Chaotix or The Whisps are well known, getting rid of non-core game characters won't cause backlash.

shadow's very well known as sonic's rival and dark counterpart. he appeals to kids.

the rest you mentioned aren't as well known, but at least most sonic fans will recognize them. throwing them into the delete bin would certainly cause a bigger backlash than deleting the archie/satam characters

Every character from every incarnation has fans.

but not every character has a sizable number of fans. the archie/satam characters aren't that popular; they're not essential to have around.

And yes it obviously has caused backlash

not a big one. 

satam and the comics were never all that popular; their fanbases are niche. most people recognize sonic from the games, not the 90s cartoons nor comics. goes without saying most people don't recognize the characters from the 90s cartoons and comics. thus there is no big backlash. it's just a vocal minority complaining.

You highly underestimate how much the FF and supplimentary/obscure characters are valued just because you don't care for them.  

Kids today just like kids of the past can easily and quickly learn about every aspect of franchises they enjoy.  With the advent of the internet nothing is truly obscure anymore.  Even in recent years kids have picked up the comic and watched the old cartoons as much as the newer ones thanks to platforms like Netflix, iTunes, Google Play and cheap single dvds from Ncircle.

Acting like kids are stupid or unaware is just as insulting to them as dissing the any characters you don't like is to those characters and the person who created them.

But hey, it doesn't matter to you so screw everyone else right!?  Thats a lovley way of thinking.

• Thumbs Up 8

29 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I became a Sonic fan when I was 5 and didn't learn about the SatAM cast until I was 10, and yet I consider one of them (Rotor) to be one of my absolute favourite characters.

I too got into the franchise at a very young age.  It was actually VHS tapes of AOSTH/SATAM that introduced me to Sonic and shortly after I discovered the comics & games.  The games were fun for what they were, but for me the main event has always been the comics.  And now with something that has been with me a good 95% of my existance is gone I can't help but feel sad, empty & angry.

23 minutes ago, Adamis said:

SatAM and AoStH are still pretty popular in France (and Belgium), they're the ones most people refer to when talking about Sonic cartoons.

They've been recently released on DVD here and people were very satisfied, and talked about them some more. Most of them love the Freedom Fighters, even non Sonic fans.

This is what bugs me, SEGA completly ignores the love people have for the various Sonic media.  If they had any respect for their fans or the legacy of their franchise they wouldn't ignore what the various cartoons & comics have done but properly embrace them as part of Sonic's Legacy like the fans do!

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Screw SEGA.  The comics were the last worthwhile piece of media this dying franchise had.  At this point all I can hope I guess is they let whichever publisher takes over puts out the unreleased issues of the Archie series alongside whatever heavily mandated book SEGA has em push out. 

R.I.P. Archie Sonic 1992-2017.

Of course as stated they could do what happened with Walt Disney Comics & Stories and just keep the old numbering.  Or they could keep the old canon as the "kids" book and make a new one for older audiances like how IDW has the main TMNT books for teens/adults and the Animated Adventures book for kids, but i'm not holding my breath.

Oddly enough, the old canon strikes me as the one to aim older, though I doubt anything would be heavily "adult."

3 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

Probably waiting for SDCC, the biggest comic/pop culture event in North America (maybe beyond?) today? The timing of their announcement of the end of their partnership with Archie is probably (hopefully) no coincidence.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

You highly underestimate how much the FF and supplimentary/obscure characters are valued just because you don't care for them.  

it's not that i don't care for them. it's just they're not that well known, so i don't think they're needed.

Kids today just like kids of the past can easily and quickly learn about every aspect of franchises they enjoy.

most kids aren't going to do a bunch of research about the shows, comics, movies, etc they like. if something is old, kids most likely won't know about it.

With the advent of the internet nothing is truly obscure anymore.

but most kids aren't going to use it for research on these things.

Even in recent years kids have picked up the comic

not that many. the comics don't sell that well iirc

and watched the old cartoons as much as the newer ones thanks to platforms like Netflix, iTunes, Google Play and cheap single dvds from Ncircle.

no. sonic boom, a modern sonic cartoon, is much more popular and well known than the older cartoons.

Acting like kids are stupid or unaware is just as insulting to them as dissing the any characters you don't like is to those characters and the person who created them.

dude, kids are kids. it's not that they're stupid; most kids just aren't gonna know these things about the franchise.

and it's not even just kids. most viewers regardless of age don't do a bunch of research on the cartoons, comics, movies, games, etc they watch/play. do you honestly think that the average person who picks up a sonic game or watches sonic boom watches the other cartoons and reads the comics? no. that's something more hardcore fans do.

55 minutes ago, Tornado said:

Okay, that's enough. You've been going out of your way to troll this thread from the start , and I daresay since you joined this forum. Knock it off or take a vacation.

trolling? i'd hate to look defensive by digging up my previous posts to prove a point and i doubt it'll change your mind, but i genuinely feel attacked by your accusation. and no, i'm not trying to pretend to look ignorant here. i really don't see what your damage is. look at every post i posted so far in this thread.

i simply asked whether or not the comics sold well:

On 7/9/2017 at 9:20 PM, GucciBurr said:

do these comics even sell well

in response to someone else, i expressed my opinion that if the comics don't sell well, not many other publishers would jump at the chance to publish the comic. also expressed that i'd be interested in a new sonic comic while doubting it'd last long:

7 hours ago, GucciBurr said:

well if the comics don't sell well i don't think many will jump at that chance

anyway i'd like to see an entirely new comic series on sonic. doubt it'll last long tho

expressed my genuine confusion at the big disappointment over the comics being cancelled as i was under the impression sega would be continuing the comics with another publisher. granted, i misread the facebook post, but it was an innocent mistake on my part. we all make mistakes:

4 hours ago, GucciBurr said:

why's everyone so sad

didnt they say sega was looking to continue the comics with another pubisher

expressed that i would be happy with the satam/archie characters being dropped and that a new series could attract new fans:

sounds good to me lol

i never liked the satam/archie characters. wiping the slate clean with an entirely new sonic comic could also attract new fans

pointed out the boom's cartoon popularity as an example of a new series attracting new fans

the boom cartoon succeeded in attracting new fans and was pretty popular on cartoon network

and the rest is just me going into further detail on why i don't think the archie/satam characters are needed as they're not well known:

1 hour ago, GucciBurr said:

1 hour ago, GucciBurr said:

shadow's very well known as sonic's rival and dark counterpart. he appeals to kids.

the rest you mentioned aren't as well known, but at least most sonic fans will recognize them. throwing them into the delete bin would certainly cause a bigger backlash than deleting the archie/satam characters

but not every character has a sizable number of fans. the archie/satam characters aren't that popular; they're not essential to have around.

not a big one. 

satam and the comics were never all that popular; their fanbases are niche. most people recognize sonic from the games, not the 90s cartoons nor comics. goes without saying most people don't recognize the characters from the 90s cartoons and comics. thus there is no big backlash. it's just a vocal minority complaining.

just because my opinions don't line up with the rest of this forum doesn't mean i'm trolling. simply expressing why i don't feel like certain characters are needed isn't trolling. simply calling people "vocal minorities" and clarifying why isn't trolling.  i've expressed all of my opinions in a civilized manner. trolling would be me saying shit like "LOL no one cares about the archie/satam characters, no one cares what you nerds think LOL". that isn't the case here. i don't think these characters are needed and i civilly expressed why. how in the world is that trolling? give me a break.

i'm not playing the victim here. i really don't see why you seem to have it out for me. having different opinions isn't trolling. but i doubt you'll listen to what i just said so whatever. i think i've done an alright job getting along with the other members here; when i do get into disagreements with other members, we have civilized debates. if you feel the need to take my posting privileges away for a while, then go ahead.

@Gucci:  You are obviously a troll and have no respect for kids or the legacy of the franchise, so please just stop.

Anywho on to a more positive topic.  Hoping Boom or IDW get the liscense next because knowing them they would be cool enough to reprint the old stuff along with their new stuff.  And if IDW's Transformers comics are anything to go by they would actually respect the legacy of the property and if allowed they would squeeze in as many characters from its history as they could!

And again we could probably get the rest of the post SGW stuff collected in trades, maybe even get the end of Megadrive and the last STH arc printed in a trade.  Hopefully get the FF SU arc in a trade as Lost Hedgehog Tales or something if we are even luckier. *fingers crossed* 

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Tornado said:

No, the fact that your entire membership history absolutely reeks of you posting the most controversial thing you can no matter how incapable you are of supporting it is what means to me that you're trolling.

"posting the most controversial thing"? look at every thread i made since joining:

literally the only threads where i posted "controversial" opinions were the one about why i didn't like sonic adventure, the one where i asked whether or not iizuka should leave and the one where i asked why fans don't like classic sonic in forces. just three threads, and even then, those weren't trolling; just me expressing opinions that other people didn't agree with.

i'd like it if you stopped trying to paint me as a troll who posts a bunch of hot takes to rile people up.