Awoo.

Archie Sonic Hiatus Discussion

Big Panda

At this point The supervillian in me wonders if this could end up backfiring on SEGA & Archie and we see a bunch more writers & artists suing both for the rights to their characters..... What if by trying to avoid more legal headaches they end up just making it worse for both of them?

But then again i'm also the kind of idiot who wonders why we don't have flying cars and robot butlers yet so its probably a none issue.

• Thumbs Up 3

I really wish the former writers had just been happy to see their characters continue to live on in the books after they left instead of starting lawsuits and potentially driving them into the ground by trying to cash in on them. But that's probably a pointless conversation for another time and place.

• Thumbs Up 7

Just now, Borvoc said:

I really wish the former writers had just been happy to see their characters continue to live on in the books after they left instead of starting lawsuits and potentially driving them into the ground by trying to cash in on them. But that's probably a pointless conversation for another time and place.

Probably a private discussion too since that usually turns into a Ken Penders ruined everything!  discussion. Not that I disagree, but the mods have stated their piece on it several times, lol.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

But then again i'm also the kind of idiot who wonders why we don't have flying cars and robot butlers yet so its probably a none issue.

Why would you even want flying cars? Traffic problems are bad enough on the ground. The last thing you want is all the cars on the LA freeway flying every which direction. Or screaming for your life as you careen towards power lines while drunk Uncle Earl is passed out at the wheel. And the government and corporations would just use butler robots to spy on you like with Kinect.

• Thumbs Up 5

So, my day has been awful and I come to see if anything has happened with the comics;

Hmm, about 5 pages more in this topic, let's see what's happened;

ArchieSonic's dead.

Spoiler

NO VOI PERKELE!!!

All right, this was it! Now where's that lighter, I wanna burn some logos in public!!! And scream! This day became from the worst of the week to the worst of the year, possibly even worst of the decade!!! I'm sorry but I needed to get it out of my system and I didn't find any other word as fitting.

Just keep in mind all those r's are rolling ones.

Now, I could care less for Jughead and Forces/Farces(?) at this point.

Sonic is getting less and less interesting for me.

I'm going to make a fitting avatar for me in here.

I hope Oda won't let me down in the future.

Why I suddenly feel like that "ear scene" on "Reservoir Dogs" would fit with my mood right now so well???

I'll post more level-headed comment in here later, right now I'm in dire need of my beauty sleep, this bad world has totally let me down for this day, expect the nice busdrivers, props to them though I suppose neither of them will read this...

Murrr...

Please don't take the comicscast away from us fans, pleeaasee, I beg this new route includes them as well, as a well-developed characters, pleeaasee!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

24 minutes ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

Why would you even want flying cars? Traffic problems are bad enough on the ground. The last thing you want is all the cars on the LA freeway flying every which direction. Or screaming for your life as you careen towards power lines while drunk Uncle Earl is passed out at the wheel. And the government and corporations would just use butler robots to spy on you like with Kinect.

Way off topic, but the Kinect was used to spy on people? That's insane!

16 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

Now, I could care less for Jughead and Forces/Farces(?) at this point.

But Sonic Forces you to care.

Okay. Sorry. I had to. I think we're all sad about this, but hopefully something good comes of it all.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Borvoc said:

Way off topic, but the Kinect was used to spy on people? That's insane!

That was a joke. Pretty much everything, especially in gaming, is dismissed as a way to spy on you or steal your money.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'll just say that "Kinect spy" returns some interesting-looking Google search results and leave it at that before getting back on topic.

• Thumbs Up 3

They (as in some writers and artists) knew as much as six months ago that this was all going to blow up? just makes this whole situation even more of a garbage fire then we thought. I wish they could've hinted at some way so subscribers could've at least got their money back  sooner.

I'm going to seriously be grinding my teeth when SEGA starts promoting this new comic of theirs, they better not do it at comicon. especially on Twitter when they didn't give too much of a shit in the last 2 years about the Archie comic when it was damn good to read.

• Thumbs Up 7

Nearly 24 hours later.

Archie has yet to inform anyone the comic is cancelled.

Other than the hired hands on the comic.

Utterly nobody looks good out of this.

• Thumbs Up 9

Maybe it's silly, but I wonder if Archie's lost the right to even talk about it except if asked.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Borvoc said:

Maybe it's silly, but I wonder if Archie's lost the right to even talk about it except if asked.

They have a right to contact their subscribers that they're entitled to a refund.

• Thumbs Up 6

3 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Tracey Yardley just confirmed on his Facebook he's now officially looking for work now that the comic is cancelled.

This pretty much means that the current incrnation isn't continuing under a new publisher any time soon, and if a new comic is happening in the immediate future, he's not a part of it.

Dude chill, he just got fried and Sega hasn't said anything about what's going to happen next. This is a very fucked up situation so it's probably going to take some time before things get straightened out.

Another point I want to bring up, apparently the comics got cancelled all the way back in January huh.

Why did we still get solicitations then?

The stories that were going to come out were about Sonic mucking about and insight into the Freedom Fighters. So in a sense, it sort of looked like a good jumping off spot for another publisher to pick up. So, potentially another publisher could pick right up from that point without too much trouble. Though that's just my optimistic side talking, I'll have to see if Ian has any insight to this.

Maybe someone should at least speak up at SDCC to Sega about what they plan to do now and if anybody is on the chopping block.

• Thumbs Up 2

To be fair, it's likely that they were in talks and were hoping to work things out and continue. Or at least it's possible. They still could have communicated better, though.

• Thumbs Up 3

41 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

They (as in some writers and artists) knew as much as six months ago that this was all going to blow up? just makes this whole situation even more of a garbage fire then we thought. I wish they could've hinted at some way so subscribers could've at least got their money back  sooner.

I'm going to seriously be grinding my teeth when SEGA starts promoting this new comic of theirs, they better not do it at comicon. especially on Twitter when they didn't give too much of a shit in the last 2 years about the Archie comic when it was damn good to read.

When my friend got fired from Archie from being an artist with them for 22 years, they didn't tell him he was being let go until literally as he was handing in what would be his final story.

• Thumbs Up 7

Dang, dude. That's tough. Shows how little contractors are told in advance. And it's probably not just Archie either. I bet you the whole industry's like that in general.

• Thumbs Up 6

3 minutes ago, doctorbenMD said:

When my friend got fired from Archie from being an artist with them for 22 years, they didn't tell him he was being let go until literally as he was handing in what would be his final story.

Well that's just uncomprehensable for me, don't you have any laws protecting the workers for stuff like this?

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, doctorbenMD said:

Not blaming the artists or writers btw, they got sideslapped as well. I just wised the ones that did know could've hinted at something but I know it was logically impossible to.

• Thumbs Up 5

Workers' rights in America are shit. Or at least very sub-par compared to what many European countries would expect. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Spilling info that wasn't theirs to spill would've been unprofessional and unethical and would have made them look bad to any future employers.

Edit: We can still wish they had, I suppose, but I personally respect them for their professionalism.

• Thumbs Up 8

Basically yeah. At a small publishing company like Archie that is trying it's hardest to do big things like television, and is ran by a total boob, things like being protected are pretty much fleeting. Granted, he was surprised at him being let go as much as anyone else. 

It's really not like, a "secure job" unless you're working at Marvel and DC doing crazy high-profile characters. Print media is a dying business sadly. 

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, doctorbenMD said:

Hardly exclusive to comics and art. My dad works for an IT company that's been going through major staff downsizing the past few years, and he's told me horror stories of 300 person conference calls that start with,  "If you're on this call, today is your last day."

• Thumbs Up 8

1 minute ago, VEDJ-F said:

Workers' rights in America are shit. Or at least very sub-par compared to what many European countries would expect. 

The wonderland of capitalism indeed, I hope we won't ever go that far with it. :rolleyes:

And I really love the way Sega let us know; a freaking tweet!

"Hey guys, did you know we and Archie ditched the comics? Don't worry, we'll try and make another, and nothing will go wrong! You like comics since you're reading Sonic comics, right? So you'll buy this, right?" :wacko:

Veery fat chance after this stunt, I'll consider very carefully.

*gets back to the corner cussing in Finnish*

• Thumbs Up 2