Awoo.

Archie Sonic Hiatus Discussion

Big Panda

3 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

Gee I feel spoiled now, guess this is one of the perks living up here. Sad your system thinks like that, more from the employers point of view, while ours tries to look from both's; politicians from employers', labour unions from the employees' side. Interesting it is, I suppose you don't have that strong of unions?

Oh. We have plenty of unions. In fact we're having issues with voice acting now, as it seems like the voice acting union has been on strike for at least a year now. I'm not entirely sure how it works. I think most jobs aren't union, though.

2 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

A bit off topic but Megaman is getting some (sorta) new comics from Udon starting in January called Megaman: Mastermix.  Full color 80 page books released quarterly.  So yay for that at least!

IMG_20170720_181404.jpg

Huh. A manga, eh?

13 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

By the way, TSSZ's doing an Archie stream, which just went live. Tracy Yardley's with us to answer questions.

https://www.twitch.tv/tssznews

Dang it. I'm supposed to be driving home from work now. Enjoying the stream, though.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Borvoc said:

Oh. We have plenty of unions. In fact we're having issues with voice acting now, as it seems like the voice acting union has been on strike for at least a year now. I'm not entirely sure how it works. I think most jobs aren't union, though.

Huh. A manga, eh?

Huh, your unions are interesting. Though I've heard stuff about French unions(?) being pretty darn effective protecting their members... :rolleyes:

Maybe we should form an union and go on a "not-buying-new-comics-if-the-old-cast-doesn't-return-as-a-well-enough-condition" -strike. :D

Well, I hope those comics are good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tracey said this in the TSSZ stream.

Interpret that how you will. Because I don't know what is going on anymore.

• Thumbs Up 4

just sounds like she really doesn't know what shes going to do now, she still has got her fan-comic at the least.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys, 

Some of you may recognize me, I was MOSTLY on FUS or Fans United for SatAM...I'm SatAMhog.  I just got the news of the Archie Comics cancellation at work and to be honest, while I am sad about the comics ending we DID get a good ending with issue#287 with the Freedom Fighters bringing the world back together and there being no other loose threads other than the usual threat of Eggman.  I started the comics at Sonic The Hedgehog#43...when I saw classic SatAM Robotnik on the cover I was hooked!  I began around the end of the first 50 issues so that was an exciting time for me...all my favorite characters were back...Sally, Bunnie, Antoine, Rotor, and Nicole.  Then Knux got his own comic and that was an experience in itself.  Despite what's happened, I still have fond memories of that series  but mostly of the Sonic comics.  My favorite issue is the one I started with...Sonic#43 that provided a flashback with Spaz drawing the flashbacks.  Then I was introduced to Sonic HQ, FUS, and the Sonic Stadium.  I've been mostly a lurker on this forum but I mean to change that.   Thanks to all the hard work from the creators of the comics over the years...they all deserve varying levels of kudos for all the time and effort they put in.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah. I'm watching the stream, and he didn't say it teasingly at all. It was very matter-of-fact. He also followed it up by saying that he also understands that most publishers already know people they want to work with instead of hiring people they don't know like him. (Not his exact words, but that seemed to be his meaning.) The main point is that he's willing to keep working on Sonic books, but he doesn't know if he'll get the chance or not.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

Yeah. I'm watching the stream, and he didn't say it teasingly at all. It was very matter-of-fact. He also followed it up by saying that he also understands that most publishers already know people they want to work with instead of hiring people they don't know like him. (Not his exact words, but that seemed to be his meaning.) The main point is that he's willing to keep working on Sonic books, but he doesn't know if he'll get the chance or not.

Sad, Yardly's art became a Staple of the Archie series during Ian's run.  Hopefully whoever does get the liscense next will at least consider bringing him & others back into the fold, if not as regular artists maybe as guests for Annuals/Specials or anniversary issues.

• Thumbs Up 6

I hope that's the case....Yardley was one of my favorite artists along Tyson and Spaz!  I do hope they continue in some fashion with the Freedom Fighters in the new comic series.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, SSF1991 said:

Another thing said in the stream.

...Oh dear.

I pray he's wrong.   If SEGA is truly that dense.... I have no words.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yardley's also confirmed that the whole thing is unrelated to sales. 

And given that I was just writing up a Bumblekast episode, I know there's something there that makes it very unlikely for the FFs to show up again. 

• Thumbs Up 7

8 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Well, they do have mandates against characters from old works appearing in more current media. And it's not really discriminatory between the East and West or the type of medium either; Sonic OVA and Sonic X assets are just as off-limits as Sonic Underground and Fleetway. The only exception is an asset that's designed by Sonic Team staff and not exclusively for the product (only example I can think of is the Chaotix house design, and that's not a character). 

SatAM/AoStH have been skimming by in the comic because of the grandfather clause (which doesn't apply to the OVA or Underground because they weren't in it long enough). Now that's gone, they have no defence. 

And just to say, it seems they're fine with original characters being made because they'd be part of the current image, you just can't use them once that ends and the product is no longer current. 

That one is questionable. While she did debut in an old Manga, she was explicitly designed by Kazuyuki Hoshino. It's likely that she was made for Sonic CD first (since Sonic CD would have been in production since Sonic 1), and Amy Rose was added into the Manga as a sort of promotion. It differs to Sally's case because Sally was not made for the games. 

Oh, I just meant the statements from other people about why they shouldn't be around. SEGA's logic, such as it is, is on a whole different level that I won't even try to approach. I was just speaking in a conventional sense for normal people.

7 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Yardley's also confirmed that the whole thing is unrelated to sales. 

And given that I was just writing up a Bumblekast episode, I know there's something there that makes it very unlikely for the FFs to show up again. 

Dissapointing. If that does turn out to be true when/if a new comic is announced Sonic will be truly dead to me as a franchise.

But hey, i'll always have years of back issues to enjoy and the old AOSTH/Satam DVDs when I get bored/nostalgic.  

At the end of the day its SEGA's loss, if they don't want my $$$ i'll give it to companies that do. (Like Nintendo.)

*Speaking of which Splatoon2 is out tommorow so at least i'll have something to distract me from this over the weekend*

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

@VEDJ-F Do you transcribe BumbleKast episodes?

I make cliffnote versions of them (because transcribing would takes hours at least), and there's a whole topic for them (just look for the Bumblekast thread). 

• Thumbs Up 5

Maybe Sega will sell the rights of the FFs to a different company or maybe create a different franchise revolving around them without Sonic

3 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Maybe Sega will sell the rights of the FFs to a different company or maybe create a different franchise revolving around them without Sonic

That would be just as bad as what you know who is doing with "his" characters from the book and just further legitimize haters whole "they were never real Sonic characters" mindset.

No I will accept nothing less then SEGA having the decancy to continue to allow the characters their place in the franchise even if it is just comics!

*Though I do admit with a slight bit of retooling they could make a neat addition to the supporting cast of the current TMNT book XD*

• Thumbs Up 6

So Tyson just confirmed that he did finish Mega Drive and there were other issues finished as well. 

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Dejimon11 said:

So Tyson just confirmed that he did finish Mega Drive and there were other issues finished as well. 

Is there hope of them being printed

Never mind. Read his other tweets.

• Thumbs Up 2

If only SEGA/Archie cared enough to actually print them.  I'd pay double for Overdrive and SU #95 & #96 if I could actually get them.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

If only SEGA/Archie cared enough to actually print them.  I'd pay double for Overdrive and SU #95 & #96 if I could actually get them.

Is there any hope for the comics in general at this point?

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Every time I think of a possible good conclusion to all of this, something comes up in this thread that shoots it down. 

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Did everybody just forgot that SEGA said that they're still going to be making Sonic comics but not with Archie oooor? Only asking because I've been seeing this a lot lately not just here but on social media as well.

• Thumbs Up 3

Did everybody just forgot that SEGA said that they're still going to be making Sonic comics but not with Archie oooor? Only asking because I've been seeing this a lot lately not just here but on social media as well.

I guess some of us are sad that characters like the FFs probably won't appear again in official material. (Not trying to sound condescending) 

• Thumbs Up 5