Awoo.

Archie Sonic Hiatus Discussion

Big Panda

Not gonna lie, Kid me loved how over the top & DBZ meets 80's/90's Sci-Fi Knuckles lore got back in the day.  It still holds a special place in my heart for its pure WTFness.

But yea even back then the tails thing was pretty stupid.

• Thumbs Up 4

Even current continuity Tails must have nightmares about this, waking up in a cold sweat from dreams he can't remember, echoing across the multiverse, leaving dark ripples across every timeline and every reality, barely noticeable but always below the surface in mockery of the countless retcons and reboots that attempt to wash it away. "I am the only constant," the voice of Titan Tails echoes silently form the deepest recess of every mind, "Know me and despair."

• Thumbs Up 3

10 hours ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

Anyways: I'm still trying to figure out what exactly it is SEGA is hoping to accomplish here. They've made it clear they want to continue the comics in some form. If the plan was to move to a new publisher and pick up where they left off, why leave the whole creative team in the dark about it? Do they honestly expect that rebranding the comics while cutting out everything that made them appealing is going to keep a worthwhile portion of their audience? Are there really that many people thinking "You know, I'd sure love to read the comics, but these gosh darn Freedom Fighters just ruin my interest!"? Mandates were already pretty tight, and the comics hadn't been doing anything offensive since the reboot. I'm not a lawyer, but did the lawsuit (which IIRC was still over pre-reboot material) have so much of a bearing that they decided to scuttle the line? According to Yardley, it had nothing to do with sales, so SEGA's cutting their bottom line with this.

Gaaaah. So much of this just makes no sense. I guess all that's left to do is wait for more official word...

Business I weird. As noted, they may have just been running out the clock before the announcement. If they are announcing something new, then Ian and Co. probably couldn't know about it, since they're still under freelance contracts with Archie.

So a possible scenario is that they let the Archie deal lapse, announcing it once it was over, and couldn't sign anything new until then, as it would be in conflict with their arrangement. In the meantime, they could probably still negotiate with a new company in preparation for when the time comes.

The time has come, and for all we know, they're putting the final touches on signing a deal to announce at SDCC. And maybe once that's done, THEN they can start courting talent like Ian, Tracey, etc.

I'm not saying that's what's happening, it's just one possibility.

• Thumbs Up 3

17 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

Even current continuity Tails must have nightmares about this, waking up in a cold sweat from dreams he can't remember, echoing across the multiverse, leaving dark ripples across every timeline and every reality, barely noticeable but always below the surface in mockery of the countless retcons and reboots that attempt to wash it away. "I am the only constant," the voice of Titan Tails echoes silently form the deepest recess of every mind, "Know me and despair."

"YOU CAN'T ESCAPE ME TAILS"

"IT IS OUR DESTINY"

• Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

tumblr_msdy2prKyb1rzjjyyo1_250.gif

Eh, it's been done.

• Thumbs Up 9

So, anyone want a Bluetooth speaker shaped like an acorn? On the US Amazon store, at least, it's on super-sale for the next 90 minutes. We could all pretend it's official merchandise in commemoration of Sally and the other Freedom Fighters.

What's that? No? Well, okay. It sounded like a good idea at the time.

Archie has a Panel at SDCC at 1:00 PM tomorrow and I have a feeling their will be a lot of angry Sonic fans asking them questions they aren't legally allowed to answer.

Although I do wonder if they will announce what its replacement will be?  A Bubsy comic perhaps!? XD

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah. Hopefully people aren't rude like that. Archie might not replace Sonic with anything except maybe doubling down on their own IP. They're also going to be publishing digests for Marvel now, so that's a thing. Not necessarily a replacement for Sonic but maybe a replacement for some of dat cash.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Archie has a Panel at SDCC at 1:00 PM tonorrow and I have a feeling their will be a lot of angry Sonic fans asking them questions they aren't legally allowed to answer.

Although I do wonder if they will announce what its replacement will be?  A Bubsy comic perhaps!? XD

At least they can rest a little bit of ease, I'm not in there shouting my lungs out to them. <_<

And after that I wouldn't get any medical treatment whatsoever. :D

Gee I hope this doesn't mark an end to the FF, I'm starting to grow more and more cynical by every single day...

• Thumbs Up 2

Well that was fast.

How does it take 6 months "in talks" but only 2-3 days to switch publishers?

I don't get it.

Just now, SSF1991 said:

Well that was fast.

I don't get it.

I would assume SEGA had the IDW deal ready for a while.

• Thumbs Up 9

Some bad news and good news with this.  The bad news (at least for subscribers) is that, as far as I can tell, IDW doesn't offer traditional mailed-to-your-home subscriptions.  If there's anyone who follows other IDW books that can give more info there, it'd be appreciated.

The good news, however:

“We’ve been speaking with beloved Sonic fan-favorite creators and new creators alike, and are excited to be able to spread specifics about our plans for the comic in the near future,” said Chris Ryall, IDW’s Chief Creative Officer.

It seems they're contacting members of the old creative team to get them on-board.

• Thumbs Up 7

48 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

Well that was fast.

I don't get it.

So.. it's not occurred to you that they may have already had this hashed out in advance?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Indigo Rush said:

So.. it's not occurred to you that they may have already had this hashed out in advance?

I have thought of that, but with how complicated and confusing this whole thing has been, I don't know anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

The complications, as far as I understand it, are from us not knowing all of the details.

Such details could include them looking for a different publisher before telling us what's up.

But I'm not the one digging into it, so carry on. Just my casual observations.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, Tylinos said:

Some bad news and good news with this.  The bad news (at least for subscribers) is that, as far as I can tell, IDW doesn't offer traditional mailed-to-your-home subscriptions.  If there's anyone who follows other IDW books that can give more info there, it'd be appreciated.

The good news, however:

It seems they're contacting members of the old creative team to get them on-board.

Yea, the only way to subscribe to IDW books by mail as far as I know is via online stores like TFAW.

• Thumbs Up 3

At least five more months it is, then. Whatever shall I do with my spare time?

• Thumbs Up 3

Well yay, at least majority in here got the publisher right, maybe this attempt Sonic forced us in isn't turning into full-time farce after all. It's nice and all, and I really do hope we get it like it was before, but somehow... :(

“We’ve been speaking with beloved Sonic fan-favorite creators and new creators alike, and are excited to be able to spread specifics about our plans for the comic in the near future,” said Chris Ryall, IDW’s Chief Creative Officer.

Oh... I hate to be the "wet blanket" (Did I just quote Usopp in OPUC1?) but the first thing that I thought about when I saw this, was... Has it occurred to anyone they might not talk at all about comic creators but some other Sonic "fan-favorites"?

All I know about misinterpretations when it comes to the Sega's Sonic opinions is they could be talking about Pontaff for all we know. <_< Yes, I'm the party-pooper of the year...

Yes, I'm being beyond pessimism, I see no reason to believe in this mess anymore. All I see is stuff I really enjoyed dying. The most frustrating thing is I can't do anything at all to fight for keeping the characters I love in the comics because, it seems to me at least like this, Sega and a good hunk of the other parts of Sonic fandom don't want to see those faces ever again in any form whatsoever.

I'll become a nasty "When I was a young kid we had things that were much more cooler than this..." elder representative very easily if this goes south for me, aka IDW gets it somehow in such a direction I couldn't look at, since it would make me think of all the good stuff we miss and the issue would be all wet and thus incomprehensible mess, too expensive of a handkerchief for my liking.

Digital would do no good either considering the thing would probably start to sparkle sooner or later after some huge sobs. Believe me, I can manage making some good One Piece style of wailings from time to time.

I just, I just hope this ends up not becoming one of the most saddest goodbyes I've ever seen when it comes to the "direction changes". I throw up pretty much each and every time I see someone on the Internet saying something akin to "I'm happy those OC's are gone, I hope the comics get better and closer to the games. I want them to make stuff like it's on the games!"

Those I tell; your appreciation of free imagination when it comes to the glorified adds amuses me. -_- And stop call it non-canon! There's no "The Canon"! what you think is "The Canon" is in reality "The Game Canon (which seems to be quite messy for some people)"! Even the fanfics are their makers own "The [insert maker's name]'s Fanfic Canon"!

And for Sega; what good it would make the comics to tell the stories games already have if it's supposed to be a glorified add? There's like two options; only tell part stories -> comics become all but one-shots, while they would be ideal adds would anybody buy reading actual ideal adds with nothing original in them whatsoever, or (possibly even worse for you) tell the whole story -> why would someone bother to buy both? In my case, I'd pick the comic more likely (>30% chance considered overall, for game even less) since I'm not too good at platformers and some games even give me a splitting headache! If people, by any miraculous chance, decide, for whatever reasons, to do the exact same, you won't be selling those games anymore. You want to gamble? Be my guest, it might even be I'll buy nothing instead.

I'm not trying actively to rant, somehow I just feel so pissed about all of this stuff. I feel bad, even worse for those who were working for making these comics and what did they get? For me it seems as they got pretty much nothing in return! They put so much heart into making this stuff it makes my heart break, and my head already's aching for this... I'm at loss of words right now, that's how pissed I am. Atrocious cutting end for the comics! That's it! Though I'll give it to them they at least did tell us after all, I suppose though they were on a bit of a hurry considering the fact this IDW came so quickly afterwards and it was just a tweet. Just a tweet! I feel sick again.

And if someone comes to say me to "simmer it down", well, I can try but the best way would probably be for me to stop coming here for news. :blushing: I'm sorry, I just don't have any other place to mourn about this, I tried yesterday but guys just watched some cat videos and I felt uncomfortable to shout to them for every five minutes I'd like to have some empathy (all I got was a minute's silence and some "ummh's pretty much). Yes, I feel like I'm a totally spoiled brat with no possibilities to ever become a better person for asking attention over worrying about something like this, but this meant so much for me and I hate to see it going down.

I need a hug. But the "ex-staff" probably needs it 1000000000x more.

That and they need money. I wish I had some to give since they did "give (more like made for me to buy in fact but alas)" me one of the best comics I've ever read. If any of them sees this I'd like to tell them how much I appreciate their effort and hope that me buying those issues had at least some kind of helping effect in their lives, considering that was pretty much all I could do to tell those companies I want the comics to continue. Thank you for all of these years.

• Thumbs Up 2

On ‎24‎.‎7‎.‎2017 at 3:59 AM, Borvoc said:

Eggman: "This isn't the end!"

We need Eggman with an Ahnold accent saying "I'll be back!"

Though, in SatAM, wasn't Antoine trying to get rid of that one robot's affection with that "horrible" Ahnold accent? :D :rolleyes:

• Thumbs Up 2