Awoo.

Archie Sonic Hiatus Discussion

Big Panda

Ah. So this was still expected, then. Even if the series doesn't come back, I suppose Ian and Mark Waid get their opening punches in. The situation is still curious to me.

The one you want to look out for is Jughead #18, as that's the one currently absent.

• Thumbs Up 1

#17, actually.  Like Panda said, #16 was the last one solicited a few months ago.

Honestly, we'll probably have some sort of answer when #16 comes out tomorrow, since the back of each issue always has the preview of the next issue's cover, just like the Sonic books.

4 hours ago, Tylinos said:

#17, actually.  Like Panda said, #16 was the last one solicited a few months ago.

Honestly, we'll probably have some sort of answer when #16 comes out tomorrow, since the back of each issue always has the preview of the next issue's cover, just like the Sonic books.

The third issue of Betty & Veronica came out the other week and had no mention of a fourth issue in the back (none has been solicited yet), and yet they're still offering subscriptions for it.

This seems pretty straight forward. Jughead was quietly cancelled and #16 is the last issue. They don't have to mention that in solicitations. It was probably canned when there wasn't a boost from attaching Waid (and Flynn) to the book. For comparison, Ryan North's last issue sold 5864; Waid (and Flynn)'s first issue sold 5805. It looks like the same thing happened to Josie & the Pussycats which 1) wraps its current arc in August; 2) is missing from September; 3) is selling a little below Jughead.

In the case of Betty & Veronica, #3 was Adam Hughes' last issue. That they're still offering subs could mean it's going to continue, either with #4 or a new #1, with a new creative team.

Even people on Sonic Retro are talking about the comic. 

"I spoke with Matt Herms when I saw him at Akon. All he was allowed to say, due to a NDA, was that Sega and Archie were talking. It's not looking very good."

Thanks Sonic Retro (well, Rockman Zero).  

• Thumbs Up 4

I'd prefer they stay with Archie, as anything else could potentially involve unnecessary changes to the book. I also side with Archie out of a sense of gratitude for what they've done with the book over all these years. That being said, if the books had to go to a different publisher, my off-the-cuff response would be to go with IDW if possible and keep as much of the staff, including editorial, as possible while also keeping as much of the feel and continuity as possible. Also, keep the numbering. Them is some sweet numbers for a video game book.

Edit: Improvements could be made to the books over time (as they could under Archie as well), but a hog in the hand is worth two in the hedge, and all that.

• Thumbs Up 4

If we started from scratch, I'd say to give this comic to Bongo, so nobody'd complain about writers there being crushed under mandates. And to keep the whole "S" motif with their licensed comics. 

If the comics ever went to anyone else... I'd hope more than anything they'd bring over Universe too. Admittedly, I ended up growing to like it more than the main series.

• Thumbs Up 2

Universe is/was dank. As cool as the true blue hero is, it's nice focus on the rest of the world and the other cool characters. It gave those Universe a dynamic feel.

• Thumbs Up 4

30 minutes ago, Miru the Living Planet said:

If we started from scratch, I'd say to give this comic to Bongo, so nobody'd complain about writers there being crushed under mandates. And to keep the whole "S" motif with their licensed comics. 

Why would Bongo somehow keep the book free from mandates?

• Thumbs Up 3

35 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Why would Bongo somehow keep the book free from mandates?

Being a small-name publisher that specializes in licensed comics, I suspect fans won't raise much of a fuss over it.

27 minutes ago, Miru the Living Planet said:

Being a small-name publisher that specializes in licensed comics, I suspect fans won't raise much of a fuss over it.

...that doesn't answer my question.

Why would the Sonic comic being under Bongo somehow effect what SEGA tell them to do and not do with the characters or how fans would react to their demands?

• Thumbs Up 5

10 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Even people on Sonic Retro are talking about the comic. 

"I spoke with Matt Herms when I saw him at Akon. All he was allowed to say, due to a NDA, was that Sega and Archie were talking. It's not looking very good."

Thanks Sonic Retro (well, Rockman Zero).  

I dunno what's more upsetting-- that things aren't looking good or the fact that I missed the chance to meet Matt Herms at A-Kon, a convention held for the first time smack in the middle of the city I live in AND I FUCKING SKIPPED IT FOR WORK!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 6

16 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

I dunno what's more upsetting-- that things aren't looking good or the fact that I missed the chance to meet Matt Herms at A-Kon, a convention held for the first time smack in the middle of the city I live in AND I F!@#ING SKIPPED IT FOR WORK!!!!!

Lol. Well put.

But is the not looking very good part something that Matt Herms said or just the poster's interpretation of circumstances when Matt Herms said that Sega and Archie are talking?

Edit: I assume the latter, in which case this is nothing new.

1 minute ago, Borvoc said:

Lol. Well put.

But is the not looking very good part something that Matt Herms said or just the poster's interpretation of circumstances when Matt Herms said that Sega and Archie are talking?

Edit: I assume the latter, in which case this is nothing new.

I'm not entirely sure, and it could be either way given how ambiguous this whole thing has been for practically half a year.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

...that doesn't answer my question.

Why would the Sonic comic being under Bongo somehow effect what SEGA tell them to do and not do with the characters or how fans would react to their demands?

I never stated Bongo would not receive mandates, just that people wouldn't complain that they did receive mandates.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Miru the Living Planet said:

I never stated Bongo would not receive mandates, just that people wouldn't complain that they did receive mandates.

People won't care about the mandates because they won't care about the comics? That's what I'm getting.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wanna know something funny? If the comic wasn't on hiatus Sonic Universe would of been on issue 100 this month

• Thumbs Up 3