Awoo.

Archie Sonic Hiatus Discussion

Big Panda

I would frankly be fine with it going to a new publisher granted they kept the same writers and cast like IDW's Disney comics.

• Thumbs Up 6

4 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

Do not jinx it, I'm trying to be optimistic here! :D

PleasekeeptheArchiecastwhatevertheoutcomeisandpleasekeepMr.Flynntooohpleeeeeaaaaseee!!!!

I'm with you. I just meant that that sounded vaguely like a threat. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Mayor D said:

Probably gone to a new publisher.

o___o

PleasekeeptheArchiecastwhatevertheoutcomeisandpleasekeepMr.Flynntooohpleeeeeaaaaseee!!!!

Jeez this anticipationis killing me. And yes, I'll keep on doing this unless it becomes illegal or I somehow irritate people too much with it. It is my safety blanket! My blanket ticket to sanity! Please higher ups!

Also @Borvoc, I tip my imaginary hat for you for bringing Mr. Webber's true intentions to the daylight few posts before. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, BlueSky said:

o___o

Will need to completely reboot if it wants a chance to succeed 

Ian said we'd get news this month, so he knew about it... which means he's involved in the future of the comic? Fingers crossed.

• Thumbs Up 5

I just want whatever's best for everyone involved, including the readers.

1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

I'll politely disagree, as I think that's one major way they could guarantee the book's failure.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Borvoc said:

I'll politely disagree, as I think that's one major way they could guarantee the book's failure.

"Hey here's our new license from Sega.... you just need to have read all these comics from another publisher to know whats going on."

If that happened. Nobody new would buy it. I certainly wouldn't touch it since it'll just be a glorified continuation.

• Thumbs Up 1

Overdrive is likely coming out at the very least, there's high demand and both Archie and SEGA were high on the previous Mega Drive issues. The main books are another thing, though. I wouldn't rule out a relaunch with new No. 1's (which should've happened at the reboot anyway) or even another reboot with focusing strictly on the game cast. Especially since this news is probably dropping at the big convention.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

"Hey here's our new license from Sega.... you just need to have read all these comics from another publisher to know whats going on."

If that happened. Nobody new would buy it. I certainly wouldn't touch it since it'll just be a glorified continuation.

...except where the comic left off, excluding Genesis of a Hero was meant to be an arc specifically designed for introducing new readers to the comic cast and giving them focus, which would have then moved into the Sega cast, considering a story featured Sonic, Mighty and Ray's backstories were the last solicited comic.

• Thumbs Up 6

Yes, I'm selfish about this thing, but still, I'm not really sure about anything at the moment, since like with every other human being in this planet, even my coordinates are fixed in my bellybutton; meaning I can't talk for others so I shall tell the world what I'd like to see to happen.

2 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

Well kind of, the fluctuation may not be too good of an idea, that's what history tells to me at least.

8 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

I'm with you. I just meant that that sounded vaguely like a threat. :P

Well yeah, I just made a joke go a bit too faaaaar awaayyy...

I swear I haven't eaten anything odd "today", except maybe those strawberries that were few days old...

3 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Lol.

It'd be a lot easier if they'll bring Mr. Flynn and others along. ^_^

• Thumbs Up 1

A full re...or, I guess "preboot" would be the best way to do things IMO. AKA, take the post-SGW continuity, and show all the stuff that happened before the shattered world stuff, then continue on from after the shattered world crisis (republish it without any mention of SGW stuff?). Make one canon, that is Flynn's canon, because his is the best, that you can read from the beginning up till now without much need for this spinoff or that one.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

The success of it is up in the air. Although there's a definite guarantee they'll lose a large portion of the reader base if they do reboot in the worst case where it's entirely game cast and no FFs and Egg Bosses given that many people still like them, especially the Egg Bosses.

Can't say if that means much given that the main comics primarily sell between 3-5k issues, so who knows how many people would leave and who would take their place? Heck, even Megadrive 2 sold less than both the Main Comic and Universe individually in the first month it was released, so take that how you will.

25 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Which is just mere speculation, and the bolded is nonsense in general.

New people have came and bought the comics before and during the reboot in the past, and new people will still buy it along with the old readerbase if it just continues as is. And whether they choose to read the comics from another publisher is entirely their choice because nothing really says they have too other than trying to keep up with the current arc. That's like saying new readers have to read the first Batman issue to understand what's going on in general, when in reality no you don't. But were they to continue things, I'd expect the new publisher to have the rights to them and could print them at their leisure via graphic novels to ease the new readers in depending on their decision.

Sure some new readers haven't liked the comics, but others have. So if they don't reboot, that wouldn't guarantee a failure. You may not touch it, and that's perfectly fine, but comics in general aren't exactly the hotcakes they used to be in the past. So that's not really a nail in the coffin. Either way, I think the very least the old readerbase would want is not to lose the characters from this continuity like they did in the last one for the second time--you can start from the beginning with these characters and make a fresh start without losing the cast.

• Thumbs Up 6

I agree that the reboot and Genesis of a Hero were supposed to be the introduction for a lot of new readers, which didn't happen for some reason, most people still think the comics are about romance, furry drama, and dark and gritty stories, and that they don't focus on the Sega cast.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Chameleon94 said:

I agree that the reboot and Genesis of a Hero were supposed to be the introduction for a lot of new readers, which didn't happen for some reason, most people still think the comics are about romance, furry drama, and dark and gritty stories, and that they don't focus on the Sega cast.

Good lord. Talk about being several years out of date for the most part...

The dark and gritty stories part tho...that just made me laugh that people still have this "anti-dark" mentality. But whatever.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, Chameleon94 said:

And those guys really need to step it up, there's like, one(?) pairing left and it's been pretty mild after the reboot...

• Thumbs Up 2

He...honestly sounded rather neutral to me. I'm not anticipating the best-case scenario at all. 

• Thumbs Up 5

14 minutes ago, Chameleon94 said:

Well you see that's because it's something Sonic related. If it's related to Sonic, you never need to research anything and can just let your decade-old knowledge and opinions of the franchise decide what it actually is. That's how it works, right?

• Thumbs Up 2

24 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Which is just mere speculation, and the bolded is nonsense in general.

Archies perception & baggage > what ever the reality is today.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Archies perception & baggage > what ever the reality is today.

The reality today is that comics in general don't make all that much money anyway, so a new publisher being given the liscense without that baggage isn't going to see a major increase in sales regardless of whether it's Archies baggage or not. Not even Megadrive was that big a hit, and that's saying something about Sonic comics.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

The reality today is that comics in general don't make all that much money anyway, so a new publisher being given the liscense without that baggage isn't going to see a major increase in sales regardless of whether it's Archies baggage or not. Not even Megadrive was that big a hit, and that's saying something about Sonic comics.

Yeah so scrap the Archie baggage and start fresh... Like I said.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah so scrap the Archie baggage and star fresh... Like I said.

Or not, and let it continue...like others have said.

And you and those not fond of it are more than welcome not to bother with it at all as you have before.

• Thumbs Up 9

3 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Or not, and let it continue...like others have said.

And you and those not fond of it are more than welcome not to bother with it at all as you have before.

But you just indicated it wouldn't harm sales and suggested it would increase it.

Also in the Nintendo buying Sonic thread you also supported the idea of "reorganize the entire verse and make it coherent and cohesive, in addition to making a really good game out of it"

So a new publisher doing that would be bad because.

4 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

But you just indicated it wouldn't harm sales and suggested it would increase it.

...I actually said the exact opposite, so you didn't read that part very well.

Also in the Nintendo buying Sonic thread you also supported the idea of "reorganize the entire verse and make it coherent and cohesive, in addition to making a really good game out of it"

So a new publisher doing that would be bad because.

Games and comics are two different medias with different sizes of fandoms, cost productions, and a slew of other factors. That is a massive apples and orange comparison if there ever was one, dude. Plus, I was looking at a best case scenario of them not scrapping like you're suggesting here and having them keep things for the most part.

• Thumbs Up 3