Awoo.

Adam West has passed away at the age of 88

TheOcelot

Adam West who starred as Batman in the 1960's American live action television series (a series very dear to my heart) has sadly died at the age of 88.

Adam West, the ardent actor who managed to keep his tongue in cheek while wearing the iconic cowl of the Caped Crusader on the classic 1960s series Batman, has died. He was 88.

West, who was at the pinnacle of pop culture after Batman debuted in January 1966, only to see his career fall victim to typecasting after the ABC show flamed out, died Friday night in Los Angeles after a short battle with leukemia, a family spokesperson said.

West died peacefully surrounded by his family and is survived by his wife Marcelle, six children, five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

“Our dad always saw himself as The Bright Knight and aspired to make a positive impact on his fans' lives. He was and always will be our hero,” his family said in a statement.

After struggling for years without a steady job, the good-natured actor reached a new level of fame when he accepted an offer to voice the mayor of Quahog —named Adam West; how’s that for a coincidence! — on Seth MacFarlane’s long-running Fox animated hit Family Guy.

On the big screen, West played a wealthy Main Line husband who meets an early end in Paul Newman’s The Young Philadelphians (1959), was one of the first two humans on the Red Planet in Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964) and contributed his velvety voice to the animated Redux Riding Hood (1997), which received an Oscar nomination for best short film.

I'm absolutely gutted. First Roger Moore and now this.

I loved watching Adam and Burt Ward (as Robin) run around in the 1960's tv series. It was ridiculously absurd but so much fun to watch.

Makes me even more sad having recently watched the new animated "Return of the Caped Crusaders" dvd where Adam West and Burt Ward did the voices of Batman & Robin. It was so good to hear them voice those characters again.

Image result for adam west batman

RIP :(

• Thumbs Up 1

This is awful to hear :/ I'm a huge fan of 60s Batman, it's just pure fun. I was planning on meeting him in July in London too

I admit, seeing this when I woke up is heartbreaking, Adam West is a underdog that kept on smiling till the end, he didn't get to star in movies, people make fun of his only well known role before he started making fun of himself, he turned down the chance to play James Bond because he knew he should always be played by a Britt, he is super humble despite playing himself most of the time, he didn't become a bitter resentment of who he was, he made himself the best he can be just by having the time of his life and having many people respect him.

Let me quote his most awesome quote in Batman:

(When talking about how they always get out of situations)

I thinks it's because ... our hearts are pure

This was the first piece of news I heard waking up and I really wanted to still be in a nightmare or something. This man was a legend. Not just for Batman but entertainment in general.

He will be sorely missed.

:( This is very sad. The man was an icon and a hero in the entertainment industry in a way that very few are. I know he has a special place in the hearts of millions, including me, and he will never be forgotten. He was truly one of a kind and brought joy and a look at the lighter side of life to so many people. He will be sorely missed. RIP

He was the Batman I grew up on then it was rerunning on TV back in the 80s and 90s I will miss him dearly

A controversial but still iconic Batman, and one of the lingering redeeming qualities of Family Guy.

We will miss you, Mayor Adam We.