Nepenthe

No More Megathreads (For Now?)

Fwiw, I really liked reloading the Sonic Mania page, seeing 5 new pages and thinking "omg there's news!" :)

Now I'll have to reaload the Upcoming games topics list and seek for Mania threads. It would be cool having a subforum for Mania, Forces (not really interested) and others (Runners and stuff).

Personally I'm more than happy to do away with Sonic megatopics because they're a pain to manage, and that goes both for mods who need to moderate discussion and members who can't stick on topic due to it careening in various, sometimes off-topic directions.

Also I don't think subforums are necessary in the meantime. We only have two major Sonic games coming up after all; just label which Sonic game you're talking about in the topic title and you're good.

22 minutes ago, Tornado said:

Someone makes a thread about interviews about Sonic Mania.

That video (presumably being an interview about Sonic Mania) is posted in it.

The thread title alludes to it being about interviews about Sonic Mania.

People can find it relatively easily since there will undoubtedly be more interviews about Sonic Mania between now and a little bit after release so the thread will be progressively bumped with new interviews about Sonic Mania.

Thread about interviews about Sonic Mania is on the front page of the forum pretty consistently until interviews stop ocurring.

????

Could you explain to us why it instead being dumped in a general thread cesspit with over 6000 posts in it makes it easier to find? Or Sonic Forces news in the Sonic Forces thread, which has 12000 posts of basically people yelling at each other and maybe a hundred that actually have news in them being discussed?

rPNCqww.gif

When you put it that way...then yeah I can where you're coming from.. As long as the thread titles are clear enough and are respectful to possible leaks and such then it not that bad of an idea to try out right?

I don't mind this if it means that people won't be as disrespectful as they were in the mega threads. I stopped replying in them for that reason. It just seemed like things were getting out of control and respect for other people's opinions just went out the window.

This does seem to be good timing and dynamics.  The traditional message board and current invision board format where pages end and new ones start is good for chatting and speculation time periods, but this really is a different time now! ^_^

I do think it would be an appropriate celebration to reopen the overall Mania topic once the game is released, where it has been with us since the initial surprise revealing of the game? 

22 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Isn't this just going to further kill the forum activity? Forum activity has been declining rapidly over the last year and now we're stopping the big main conversations about new products?

Well... There are many factors that go into the activity and likewise inactivity of a fan site.

Though if I may, this place is certainly doing better than it was some year or two ago.

Keep working on things, and people will come/return in due time. Patience is a virtue.

I have to ask the admins to reconsider making subforums for each Sonic upcoming game, or at least for the two major ones and another for the rest (Runners Adventure and stuff). It would be really convenient not having to scroll through the increasing Sonic Forces threads to find some info about Mania :)

I dunno why we need subforums... I mean you can easily tell which game we're talking about by looking at the title. Also, we only have two major Sonic games coming up; Runners 2 is a mobile game and I highly doubt people are gonna be making nearly as many topics about it as Mania/Forces.

Well, I explained it in my previous email. It would be much more comfortable, for those who are not interested on Sonic Forces, to have a subforum only for Sonic Mania, so when we want to check for news about Sonic Mania we just have to open or reload that subforum, instead of opening or updating the "Upcoming games" and go thread by thread "Ok, this is Sonic Forces... ok, Sonic Forces. Forces, Forces... OH, MANIA!" *open topic*.

It would somehow recover the functionality we had before the end of mega threads, that is: a single place in which you know that every update is only about Sonic Mania.

Current situation is ok, but only convenient if you want to know about any new Sonic game.

Not sure how it would affect you in terms of moderation, but organizing topics for both games would be more comfortable for users, for sure.

There is no need for subforums per game.

They require administrative oversight to implement and change/delete every time we get a new game, as well as a willingness to dump the topics after release, and for now we don't feel like dealing with that.

Topics generally have the name of the game that's being discussed, meaning you can visually sort them yourself.

Major news updates will always bump threads or warrant the creation of new ones, allowing members to get to news just as quickly, if not quicker, than that news being buried in a giant thread of thousands of replies.

If you're not interested in Forces, don't go in threads blatantly marked about Forces.

Fair enough :) To make myself clear, I never spoke about need, just comfort ;) 

Anyway, being self-critical, I'm the only person who has asked for this, so maybe I'm just being a bit perfectionist XD 

Seems like most of the opinions here are 0 to 100, as if non-megathreads equate to a billion small worthless threads. I think it'd better to think of threads as just normal threads like we used to have before megathreads became a thing? Having a handful of 10 or so major topics like "Forces Soundtrack" and "Forces Interviews" are awesome, but maybe misc new news can be condensed into a topic as well? It seems like some peeps are just worried about a lot of dead topics like "3 new Forces Avatar glasses" or "Ristar Cameo in Oil Ocean Act 7!!"

Idk if that'd be hard to manage and keep under your thumb, but having more a "Forces General" or "Forces Misc" and promoted less as a megathread would be still cool to kick around? Just a thought anyway *shrugs*

My worry about "General" or "Miscellaneous" threads is that they will inevitably become de facto megathreads anyway, as they're going to act as a hub for all levels of news of a range of different subject matters. They would need to be clearly defined with updates that are and aren't allowed to be posted as "news."

Now that Mania is out, there are LOTS of new threads and there will be more, for Mania and Forces. I don't mean to stress or anything, but now it would be really convenient having a subforum for each game :)

That's pretty unnecessary, honestly. Every thread is clearly marked with what game it's for, a little extra scrolling (you can probably just CTRL+F "Mania") isn't going to be a big deal. And you can always subscribe/follow certain threads (see at the top) and curate what you're interested in and get to it more quickly.

I know it's added convenience for the members, but from what I've observed even if we open a sub-forum for a game, it eventually gets closed after the game's been out and its contents are moved to a more appropriate general part of the forum. It's a lot of extra work for something that's fairly shortlived. I'm pretty sure that's why we abandoned an E3 sub-forum (it'd only last a week).

Well the inconvenience is not just searching for "Mania" or "Forces" in the topic title (not 100% of the topics put that, btw), but the significant amount of threads there are now compared to when you stopped megathreads. By adding subforums you can give better user experience:

-You wouldn't force users to type the name of the game in the title.

-Users could follow a whole subforum (I would).

-Users won't have to go topic by topic discarding what they're not interested in.

Now, Sonic Mania has been very well received and there are going to be a HUGE lot of topics about it for months (as there are no mega threads anymore), and Sonic Forces will start releasing new info from now, therefore more Forces topics than so far. And after both games' cycles are done, I don't think it's very difficult to go to a subforum, mark all threads and love them to the Upcoming games subforum. 

E3 is not the same as Mania. That subforum won't certainly last a week ;)

Please don't get me wrong. I don't mean to bother you at all, but I think there's a chance here to give a better experience to all users :)

Chiming in to give another perspective; I think the way it is is pretty great, there is much more varied discussion. Instead of being forced to read through a thread that diverged into a topic that you're not interested in, you can simply spot the title and choose to participate or not. Topics that the community don't feel like discussing anymore will simply drop down instead. And current hot ones will stay on the first page.

I don't think @molul's reasons are well justified. There is still not enough activity in here to warrant subforums. If you're scrolling down to find specific topics and find it down there, with 20 or so per page, chances are that it's no longer wanted to be discussed (due to lack of interest, or just because there simply isn't anymore thing that can be discussed). People's attention tend to be fairly focused after all. And old stuff will become old fairly quickly due to the next big thing. If anything segregating will shield or hide conversation that would potentially attract you; it was such a bother to visit all sub (sub-sub) sections in the past.