Awoo.

Sonic Mania and Forces on YouTube Live @ E3.

Radiant Hero Ike

While they were talking, I was able to hear (I think) the GHZ2 remix. Sounds quite nice.

I noticed that Mirage Saloon and Green Hill act 2 had different level layouts than original footage. Also, there is a boss arena in mirage saloon (room with curtains as the background) but no boss was shown.

Darn I missed that part. Is someone gonna upload a video?

Just now, Acoolsonicfan said:

Darn I missed that part. Is someone gonna upload a video?

Probably eventually,

But just go here:

Then go back in the stream to reach where they talk about Mania (right now its about -10 minutes)

Hm, they added a curtain to the end of Mirage Saloon. Guess it's gonna rise up and reveal the boss in the full version.

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, Diogenes said:

Hm, they added a curtain to the end of Mirage Saloon. Guess it's gonna rise up and reveal the boss in the full version.

Maybe the lights will go out and there will be spotlights. Speaking of which, I wonder if the hardboiled heavies are in Act 2 also!

I like* how Forces idea of interesting enemy positioning for the avatar character is "five egg pawns and buzzbombers in a line". Also I like* how the level ends with an overly long quick step section that itself ends with a QTE.

*hate

• Thumbs Up 5

Hmm. Perhaps the magician (?) Heavy is the boss of Mirage Saloon after all, as someone (sorry, I forget who) suggested back in the megathread.

9 minutes ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

Aaron just comfirmed there will be more news tommorow

Ahh i didn't see. 

Nice to see the new Results Screen. Hope they do new animations for Classic and Modern Sonic.

3 minutes ago, Pawn said:

Hmm. Perhaps the magician (?) Heavy is the boss of Mirage Saloon after all, as someone (sorry, I forget who) suggested back in the megathread.

Hey Maybe the hardboiled heavies tag team you in some stages.

The spider section is almost entirely automated, almost everything in this game looks automated and lazy. We're gonna be stuck with this forever eh

• Thumbs Up 4

dont really give a shit about the automation, nothing wrong with a little flair and cinematics in Sonic at all

• Thumbs Up 5

I remember back in older sonic games like in sonic heroes, there were some sections that run you off of the level to your death. It gave you control but if you weren't skilled, you'd die. I'm not saying I agree with automation all the time, but a little automation can be a good thing sometimes and that part I just saw with the custom character looked fantastic.

1 minute ago, Acoolsonicfan said:

I remember back in older sonic games like in sonic heroes, there were some sections that run you off of the level to your death. It gave you control but if you weren't skilled, you'd die. I'm not saying I agree with automation all the time, but a little automation can be a good thing sometimes and that part I just saw with the custom character looked fantastic.

The problem here comes from the fact even the parts that aren't supposed to be cinematic are heavily automated and scripted. It feels like Sonic Team is incapable of designing levels without relying on this design as a crutch, and this is been a problem in every 3D Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

The game is still continuing to not impress on its level design choices. The dash panel abuse isn't restricted to the classic Sonic levels, we have things like a dash panel placed squarely at the bottom of a half-pipe, and a a dash panel placed before a dash panel placed before a grinding rail in the Custom Hero stage. Almost all of the enemies in that level were lined up in rows of five too for whatever reason. And a huge chunk of both the modern Sonic and Custom Hero gameplay is mostly 2D too, and its all the same Colors/Lost World-styled fifth-rate NES platformer level design.

Here's a video of the Forces footage, by the by: Video's been removed now.

Concept:

03_Crabot_final_image_1494873499.png

Reality:

Run away from it, then push a QTE button.

Great.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm thankful that I'm not someone who cares too much about dash panels, talk of momentum, and what not. What I saw looked pretty cool. 

The only criticisms I can really offer as someone who plays games and can point out what I don't like on a very basic and casual level is that I'm still not entirely on board with the unnecessary 2D perspective. That's something I'm going to have to get over one day because it's never going anywhere.

I heard someone say the automated segment was too long and when I watched it, it stopped right before I thought it was going on too long so that was good. And I actually really like QTEs used for the purpose of taking out an enemy.

Now, if it had been there as just a thing you press to not die while running in the middle of the level, that would've been bullshit. But I've always liked the Boss QTE's from Unleashed so I'm fine with it.

Still a mixed bag but every new thing I'm seeing isn't making me angrier like it was before. Which is good. I appreciate being able to not be disappointed by every new thing I learn. 

But "not being disappointed" is something I'd rather have replaced with "being excited" which, to be fair, has happened a fair amount of times. 

Yeah, it's certainly not looking bad but they've got a lot of kinks to iron out moving forward for sure. 

• Thumbs Up 9