Awoo.

Sonic Mania and Forces on YouTube Live @ E3.

Radiant Hero Ike

8 minutes ago, molul said:

Seems like the green hill boss is all we're getting this E3,right? 

probably. well, they have shown really much of the game in the past 3 weeks. 1 min flying battery, stardust speedway in the pre order trailer the week after and fckn chemical plant last week + the boss in action at e3. maybe there is a little more when comic con kicks off next month and then thats it.

Here's some good GH act2 footage. We finally get to hear a clean version of act2's remix which plays nearly all the way through. Also, we see some routes which haven't been shown yet. Makes me appreciate how good the level design is in act2.

Something unusual is that after a while the player comes up to an unavoidable death-pit against the boss (3:58). The player does takes a long time trying to beat Eggman. I would have thought the level layout would keep repeating itself (looping after a while) until Eggman is defeated. To add an unavoidable death-pit which effectively is gives a time-limit to beat the first boss in the game seems harsh!

Edit: We also have Mirage Saloon act2 footage:

• Thumbs Up 6

Did the death egg robot self destruct at the end of something? I saw a piece of ground that the player could've landed on after it crumble but nope he goes and jumps in the pit lol:D

*AHHHHH!! WHAT DO I DO NOW? *JUMPS in the pit*

1 hour ago, Acoolsonicfan said:

Did the death egg robot self destruct at the end of something? I saw a piece of ground that the player could've landed on after it crumble but nope he goes and jumps in the pit lol:D

*AHHHHH!! WHAT DO I DO NOW? *JUMPS in the pit*

When you defeat him (as he did there last second) he explodes and destroys the floor right under him. I didn't think there'd be a space for him to land on lol

Polygon released some footage of chemical plant act 2. Tails can be flown with in single player like in the iOS remakes.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love all the Act 2 remixes so far. Tee Lopes is fire. Just how amazing is that Eggman boss theme?! I need that rip'd all clean.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, OcelotBot said:

Here's some good GH act2 footage. We finally get to hear a clean version of act2's remix which plays nearly all the way through. Also, we see some routes which haven't been shown yet. Makes me appreciate how good the level design is in act2.

>You can run out of space if you take too long with the boss.

8dwd5lt.jpg

Also, I'm in love with that music.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, OcelotBot said:

Something unusual is that after a while the player comes up to an unavoidable death-pit against the boss (3:58). The player does takes a long time trying to beat Eggman. I would have thought the level layout would keep repeating itself (looping after a while) until Eggman is defeated. To add an unavoidable death-pit which effectively is gives a time-limit to beat the first boss in the game seems harsh!

It may be a bit harsh, but I don't mind. The boss is a lot easier than it is in Sonic 2 (primarily because of the terrain) and it did take quite a while before getting to that point.

(I was going to suggest it could be a glitch and it's supposed to keep going, but the way the edge of the platform is designed makes it look intentional XP)

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Celestia said:

It may be a bit harsh, but I don't mind. The boss is a lot easier than it is in Sonic 2 (primarily because of the terrain) and it did take quite a while before getting to that point.

(I was going to suggest it could be a glitch and it's supposed to keep going, but the way the edge of the platform is designed makes it look intentional XP)

Can't verify this but someone (Uberham) on Retro commented about how it was supposed to keep going but since he just happened to kill the boss on a very specific moment the camera does't get to scroll down and show more floor.

Frankly, I like more the idea of having a hard time limit on the boss.

• Thumbs Up 2

Over on Retro Taxman said something interesting about the end of GH act2:

You can't actually fall down that hole the boss makes (when it's destroyed), you'll realize what the hole is for when you play the final game... 

Hmm...

Related image

• Thumbs Up 2

You can't fall down? If they don't put an invisible barrier or springs below the void, not sure how to avoid falling.

I assume the hole Eggman leaves behind leads to some route or mechanism that takes you to the next zone, as part of the S3&K-style zone transitions.

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

I assume the hole Eggman leaves behind leads to some route or mechanism that takes you to the next zone, as part of the S3&K-style zone transitions.

I could see the hole leading to the scrap brain sewers or labrynth zone. This also confirms zone transitions pretty much

• Thumbs Up 1

My personal assumption is that the second zone will be a new one.  Overall they'll want to have the new zones spread pretty evenly across the game, and while the more classic zones there are relative to new ones means there may well be instances of consecutive classic zones, I think they'll want to show off a new level in the game as soon as possible after the beginning.  So the level cycle I'm anticipating would be something like: Classic, New, Classic Classic New - something like that.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, FFWF said:

My personal assumption is that the second zone will be a new one.  Overall they'll want to have the new zones spread pretty evenly across the game, and while the more classic zones there are relative to new ones means there may well be instances of consecutive classic zones, I think they'll want to show off a new level in the game as soon as possible after the beginning.  So the level cycle I'm anticipating would be something like: Classic, New, Classic Classic New - something like that.

I could defintally see that too. Maybe it leads into that japan level 

Also something I noticed that nobody has mentioned. In new gameplay the zip lines in green hill are a blueish silver. Is this intentional or a glitch?

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, in polygons new green hill act 2 gameplay, Tails died and never came back. Another bug.

Oh yeah, I love the game but it's pretty glitch prone right now. I believe Tails can still kill things with his face as long as he's flying, there is a section of chemical plant (act 1 I believe) where a background object is solid and sonic can walk over it. There is the before mentioned Tails drowing glitch also in act 1 and there is one rhino on Mirage Saloon that goes out of his regular boundaries and falls down to the piano keys (you can tell it's not intentional due to how abrupt the fall is).

It's no wonder it got delayed.

With that said, I still haven't seen anyone pulling some Sonic 3 tier craziness.

• Thumbs Up 3

33 minutes ago, TimmiT said:

Does this mean Mania is actually the finished version of Retro Sonic Nexus?

On behalf of Slingerland:

"nah" :P

Spoiler

The very idea that the same guys who made my favorite fangame back in the day are making an official Sonic game makes me so hyped, guys you have no idea 

• Thumbs Up 3

All of those people deserve a major thank you for this. 

Given how they're doing a full roll call, I'm guessing production is starting to wrap up? 

• Thumbs Up 1

This reminded me that we're likely to get an absolutely brilliant credits sequence and End Roll Medley to close the game on.

• Thumbs Up 7