Awoo.

New Sonic Forces Gameplay teased on twitch.tv (link and screenhots here)

Indigo Rush

1 minute ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Lost World, Generations, and Colors would like to have a word with you.

Hmm? I don't think so...the Eggman's attitude doesn't change at the end of these games. Any kind of seriousness they try to give the Eggman is immediately negated before the boss fight even starts.

43 minutes ago, Bowbowis said:

"Menace" is... not exactly the wrong word for what Eggman needs, but it is a rather broad one, which lends itself to misinterpretation. What Eggman really needs right now is credibility, and Chris Knopps is correct in saying that Forces premise does not automatically proved that. If Darth Vader spent the Star Wars movies tripping over his shoelaces, being roundly mocked by the heroes, and generally acting like an incompetent buffoon he would not have much in the way of credibility. It doesn't matter if the plot says Vader is a powerful Sith, that he slaughtered hundreds of Jedi, or that he was instrumental to establishing the Emperor's iron grip on the galaxy, if the film presents him as a bumbler the audience is going to take him as such. Similarly, so long as Eggman (the character, not the event surrounding him) is treated like a joke he is not going to win any credibility points. Conversely, if Eggman starts getting treated as a genuine threat again he'll start regaining credibility and "menace" will follow from there.

Now, to be clear, I'm not saying that Eggman can't be goofy or that he has to act super sinister. Just ease up on the insults and have him stop acting like a pathetic loser. Instead, return him to how he worked best: A brilliant, hammy, egotist, with a childish desire to remake the world in his own image and the resources, cunning, ruthlessness, pragmatism, and tenacity to make it a reality if the heroes don't bring their A-game.

Y'know, like this guy: 

tumblr_inline_mf7payHrBf1rp11mn.gif

Gods voice rings through your lips, this comment...

I feel so many happy feels. Thank you for all of that.

Wait, are we even talking about the same thing?

Sure we are. The Eggman tries to get taken seriously before you fight the final boss...that's what you were saying.

So, Shadow confirmed for Forces and Chemical Plant accidently confirmed aside...

tumblr_orh732z9oH1udzlioo1_1280.png

What the Wispon looks like with the Ivory Bolt wisp. Attacks with a whip of lightning. I'm partially reminded of the Enerbeam, (except its an electric rope) but i hope we get to see this thing in action later on! Also, I kinda like the Wispon designs.

I'm also starting to wonder about the gameplay patterns here-

• Classic Sonic is 2D sidescroller
  • Modern Sonic is boost gameplay, but sometimes there's 2D segments
  • OC is Colors Sonic gameplay, with mini bosses? We've seen the chase segment of that tarantula crab sentinel, and the Purple chicken like robot in a screencap at Park Avenue. Starting to think if this will be frequent for the OC levels only...
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

I just can't see the world taking Eggman seriously post-Unleashed, think about how he was mocked by the tribe in that game, the world considers him as much of a joke in-game as the fan base does going by that.

The fact he conquered the world in Forces with his personality of today... I don't know what to make of it if that's the case. It's like I said, he's no villain really, just a fat clown no man or robot will take seriously.

I'm all for an entertaining villain but Eggman doesn't fit that bill for me. He's like a cheap imitation of the Joker only nobody is afraid of him, not even his lackeys.

He's... Eggman, not a villain, not a threat, just... Eggman...

His character and "ruling the world" just don't click which is why I was hoping for a different character behind him in this game to fit being the ruler.

He might be more entertaining, but at the cost of being a character folks care about except for a good laugh.

-Edit-

...F@$k am I going to miss Archie...

At least they somehow managed to make his present-day self worthwhile.

I'm glad someone else has made that comparison.  I think maybe starting at Sonic Heroes, Eggman started to slide into a mold of less genuinely wanting to conquer the world and more wanting to screw around with it; having fun building kooky machines and terrorizing people and battling Sonic.  I'd argue this portrayal actually can work as a competent villain, but maybe not this sort.  With as generic as a lot of the robots look in this game, and as little fanfare between now and how Eggman has acted in the last few games, which were...my goodness; have they all just been Sonic Boom?  Anyway, my point is it feels like they just disregarded a lot of what made Eggman Eggman, and went with basically Darth Vader.  Except that Darth Vader was in plots that were entertaining and tormenting heroes that I actually liked.

So while we're talking about this scenario and how it's being played out in the game, I'll tell you what I think my biggest problem is with this game: I just don't give a fuck.  Yeah; that's cold, but for a game that's about saving the world from a dictator, it gives me so damn little to give a fuck what happens to its world.  This scenario of "Eggman/Robotnik rules most of the world, so Sonic and his friends try to take overthrow him" has drawn inevitable comparisons to the Saturday Morning Sonic cartoon, and people are split on whether that's a good or bad thing, but whichever it is (maybe it's even both), Sonic SatAM had something going for it that this game doesn't seem to: A focus on plenty of characters other than Sonic.  That, and the characters were getting into fights instead of just rushing from Point A to Point B.

This game has a diverse range of experiences (arguably) but none of them really seem to fit with the narrative they're pushing.  Modern Sonic boosts through things, travels through levels that look like race tracks more than part of a living, breathing world, going through weak enemies or going past weak enemies; it doesn't really matter which, and not doing much to interact with the environment or its denizens.  Classic Sonic doesn't talk (last we checked).  The custom character by definition also probably won't have a lot of meaningful dialogue.  Other characters aren't even playable; nor have we even seen them in cutscenes.  These things, combined with us having gone a decade without a Sonic game that takes itself seriously and cares about worldbuilding, add up to far too little to adequately convey what's at stake and why I should care about it. 

Shit, but even Shadow the Hedgehog took more pride in fleshing out its world and scenario; yeah a lot of it was stupid and shamefully plagiarized from stuff like Marvel, but it was there and it fit the macabre vibe they were seeking.  This game, or at least this game's publicity thus far, doesn't know how to sell a concept.  You say 99% of the world's been conquered?  Well, here's an idea; how about you show us more of that world in your publicity media than just the same tiny handful of environments our three playable heroes go through, to get us excited about it?  We've seen the same burning city used for two characters' showcase levels and the cinematic...and Green Hill Zone for the other character.  You say there's this awesome resistance aiming to save the world?  How about you show us more of their members than just two versions of Sonic and a custom character who, more often than not, is dressed like he or she doesn't take this fight seriously? (Not that I'd take this fight very seriously either, based on how easy most of the enemies I've seen are to defeat.)

Yeah; I understand that most of what is missing so far is probably still coming, and will be revealed at some point, but why are they even trying to make and market a game with a serious plot from the very first trailer, if they're lagging on showing us the sorts of things that would make us care about a serious plot?  This game doesn't look terrible--as a game.  Arguably, as three games.  However, it also looks so thoroughly average, and so "been there, done that" as a game that it's crying out for something to tilt the balance from being a game I'd play in stores if I saw it there, to a game I'd actually go to stores specifically to buy--and there isn't anything yet.  It comes off as wanting to feel revolutionary, but having no idea how.

As the umpteenth person who's more excited for Sonic Mania, and thus has some onus to explain why I am when it, too, is so "been there, done that", I submit the following:

1) It's...charming.  The vibe Sonic Mania gives off is cute, colorful, and even a little bit funny, whatwith things like the 1920s cartoon Eggman dancing and the characters bouncing on giant saloon pianos.  A more serious, even depressing vibe can work, but it takes additional plot development to make that work.

2) I like Tails and Knuckles more than I like Modern Sonic and Buddy the OC.  Actually, I have no preference for Classic Vs Modern design, but I don't think the boost is a worthwhile mechanic to pursue.  Above all else, though, I want to cast a vote with my dollars to make characters besides Sonic and Sonic and OC playable again.

3) I like Christian Whitehead and other Sonic Retro power players.  Enlisting the help of these sorts of people is another thing I want to become a trend.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

I'm glad someone else has made that comparison.  I think maybe starting at Sonic Heroes, Eggman started to slide into a mold of less genuinely wanting to conquer the world and more wanting to screw around with it; having fun building kooky machines and terrorizing people and battling Sonic.  I'd argue this portrayal actually can work as a competent villain, but maybe not this sort.  With as generic as a lot of the robots look in this game, and as little fanfare between now and how Eggman has acted in the last few games, which were...my goodness; have they all just been Sonic Boom?  Anyway, my point is it feels like they just disregarded a lot of what made Eggman Eggman, and went with basically Darth Vader.

So while we're talking about this scenario and how it's being played out in the game, I'll tell you what I think my biggest problem is with this game: I just don't give a fuck.  Yeah; that's cold, but for a game that's about saving the world from a dictator, it gives me so damn little to give a fuck what happens to its world.  This scenario of "Eggman/Robotnik rules most of the world, so Sonic and his friends try to take overthrow him" has drawn inevitable comparisons to the Saturday Morning Sonic cartoon, and people are split on whether that's a good or bad thing, but whichever it is (maybe it's even both), Sonic SatAM had something going for it that this game doesn't seem to: A focus on plenty of characters other than Sonic.  That, and the characters were getting into fights instead of just rushing from Point A to Point B.

This game has a diverse range of experiences (arguably) but none of them really seem to fit with the narrative they're pushing.  Modern Sonic boosts through things, travels through levels that look like race tracks more than part of a living, breathing world, going through weak enemies or going past weak enemies; it doesn't really matter which, and not doing much to interact with the environment or its denizens.  Classic Sonic doesn't talk (last we checked).  The custom character by definition also probably won't have a lot of meaningful dialogue.  Other characters aren't even playable; nor have we even seen them in cutscenes.  These things, combined with us having gone a decade without a Sonic game that takes itself seriously and cares about worldbuilding, add up to far too little to adequately convey what's at stake and why I should care about it. 

Shit, but even Shadow the Hedgehog took more pride in fleshing out its world and scenario; yeah a lot of it was stupid and shamefully plagiarized from stuff like Marvel, but it was there and it fit the macabre vibe they were seeking.  This game, or at least this game's publicity thus far, doesn't know how to sell a concept.  You say 99% of the world's been conquered?  Well, here's an idea; how about you show us more of that world in your publicity media than just the same tiny handful of environments our three playable heroes go through, to get us excited about it?  We've seen the same burning city used for two characters' showcase levels and the cinematic...and Green Hill Zone for the other character.  You say there's this awesome resistance aiming to save the world?  How about you show us more of their members than just two versions of Sonic and a custom character who, more often than not, is dressed like he or she doesn't take this fight seriously? (Not that I'd take this fight very seriously either, based on how easy most of the enemies I've seen are to defeat.)

Yeah; I understand that most of what is missing so far is probably still coming, and will be revealed at some point, but why are they even trying to make and market a game with a serious plot from the very first trailer, if they're lagging on showing us the sorts of things that would make us care about a serious plot?  This game doesn't look terrible--as a game.  Arguably, as three games.  However, it also looks so thoroughly average, and so "been there, done that" as a game that it's crying out for something to tilt the balance from being a game I'd play in stores if I saw it there, to a game I'd actually go to stores specifically to buy--and there isn't anything yet.  It comes off as wanting to feel revolutionary, but having no idea how.

As the umpteenth person who's more excited for Sonic Mania, and thus has some onus to explain why I am when it, too, is so "been there, done that", I submit the following:

1) It's...charming.  The vibe Sonic Mania gives off is cute, colorful, and even a little bit funny, whatwith things like the 1920s cartoon Eggman dancing and the characters bouncing on giant saloon pianos.  A more serious, even depressing vibe can work, but it takes additional plot development to make that work.

2) I like Tails and Knuckles more than I like Modern Sonic and Buddy the OC.  Actually, I have no preference for Classic Vs Modern design, but I don't think the boost is a worthwhile mechanic to pursue.  Above all else, though, I want to cast a vote with my dollars to make characters besides Sonic and Sonic and OC playable again.

3) I like Christian Whitehead and other Sonic Retro power players.  Enlisting the help of these sorts of people is another thing I want to become a trend.

giphy.gif

Yes, yes! Thank you!

The entire concept of Sonic Forces, the only thing being centered around its advertising, is how "It's a darker game" followed by a terrified "OH!! B-But there's these lighter sections too!!" like they have to immediately press the panic button every single time anyone mentions how it's darker, even when they themselves mention how it is.

There's NO commitment to any particular tone, no particular anything in this game. You've got three types of game play that all feel half baked and a plot/tone that's terrified to be any which way to the point the game is emotionally unreadable.

Do you feel pumped up? Do you feel like you're walking on rainbows? Are we moving on? Are we trapped in another nostalgic rehash? What is this game? Where is it going? Why is it going there? What will happen after?

I feel so much happiness right now. These are the comments I love.

33 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Sure we are. The Eggman tries to get taken seriously before you fight the final boss...that's what you were saying.

That's...not really what I meant.

Okay, let me see if I can explain this better.

Spoiler

Basically, the current problem with how Eggman is portrayed is that he's treated primarily as a joke by everything. The characters and the narrative both do this to him, although at least in the case of the characters, you could at least make the justification that they do so to distract and undercut him, making him more careless and angry to make him an easier target. Where the issue really comes in is in how the NARRATIVE treats him, in that it tries to portray him as both a goofball and a menace at the same time, but fails to do so.

Now before someone tells me that I'm only interested in making him some edgelord ultra evil villain, stop. I'm not. Eggman's greatest strength as a character is that he's both comical and capable of being a terrifying individual without losing the former, but the problem is that current stories don't use this strength effectively.

The way the stories tend to be structured nowadays tend to either do one of two things:

1. Story treats him as a threat, but then the story doesn't do jack with him for the bulk of the story until the end.

OR

2. First 2/3s of the story treat him as a joke, and then attempt to treat him as this dangerous threat.

Now the first one's were applicable to the stories of Heroes, 06, and Unleashed. In this scenario this was more of an issue with the story pushing him aside as a villain and reducing him to a minor role.

The second point however, applies to everything AFTER Sonic and the Black Knight with the exception of maybe Free Riders and Rise of Lyric. In this scenario, the story plays up Eggman's comical side and it CAN be entertaining. But then the third part of the story generally starts up and then suddenly it's as if the narrative remembers that Eggman's supposed to be the big villain and tries to treat him as the big bad, as in something to be taken seriously despite his comical behavior earlier.

The problem however is that this falls flat on it's face because in the Colors Era onwards, there's almost little to no buildup to this point, nothing that shows that despite how silly Eggman can be that he's still a legitimately dangerous maniac, or if there are any such moments such as the mind control ray or the cannon in Colors, they are almost IMMEDIATELY undermined right after their introduction, as if the narrative is too terrified to actually let such a thing play out and show Eggman's true colors as a psychopathic manchild and establish that yes, he is a goofball, but he's a COMPETENT goofball.

As a result, not only does the third part of the story where he establishes that he's the big bad feel jarring because the transition scenes needed to establish him as a threat don't exist, but it also ends up feeling like a hollow gesture, making Eggman the bad guy simply because he's expected to be the bad guy rather than actually SHOWING his villainy and competence.

The sad thing is that the way to fix this is incredibly simple: Let his genuinely evil moments show, and let them actually have consequences. Think how much more involving the story of Colors would be if the mind control ray HAD actually worked on Tails, and Sonic was forced to fight against him, or Tails ended up serving as Eggman's brainwashed minion for the latter half of the game, with Eggman doing comical yet utterly dogkicking things such as claiming to make Tails his protege while also mocking Sonic along the way. This would have made things so much more satisfying AND more importantly, would help give Eggman credibility without undermining his goofy qualities.

That is what I mean.

Now back on topic, I'm still tentatively interested in Forces, but I'm a little iffy on the dialogue bits from the other characters, primarily because they seem a tad...generic so far. Maybe they'll get more interesting like Kid Icarus Uprising's stuff, but considering Pontaff is at the wheel, I'm not holding my breath.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, it will be the 1st time in 12 years that the characters will have their personality on display on more than a surface level...or they'll just stick to the point.

That pokes interest...

While I do agree that Eggman's presence hasn't been intimidated to a slean of a "World Conquering Dictator" quiet yet. And with the returning writers indicate to be the case. Now I might have a huge bias but i love Eggman's current character and i wouldn't change it any other way, same with Sonic. But with a game like this, we need to see Eggman's step back into a more villainous face in order to give purpose to the story, orrr they could pull a "Monster Of The Week" scenario (and they will most likely do that) I'd be pretty disappointed. It's been years since Eggman has been a huge threat to the protagonist.

Now we did see a glimpse of a more serious Eggman in Lost World and honestly I enjoyed that. It's been 3 years since Lost World so I think they had plenty of time to evolve and change, especially with how great Fire and Ice turned out in terms of Character Interactions.

But yeah I'd be up for a more serious Eggman and if it's pulled off just right, this might be a new high for the writers personally. 

21 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

giphy.gif

Yes, yes! Thank you!

The entire concept of Sonic Forces, the only thing being centered around its advertising, is how "It's a darker game" followed by a terrified "OH!! B-But there's these lighter sections too!!" like they have to immediately press the panic button every single time anyone mentions how it's darker, even when they themselves mention how it is.

There's NO commitment to any particular tone, no particular anything in this game. You've got three types of game play that all feel half baked and a plot/tone that's terrified to be any which way to the point the game is emotionally unreadable.

Do you feel pumped up? Do you feel like you're walking on rainbows? Are we moving on? Are we trapped in another nostalgic rehash? What is this game? Where is it going? Why is it going there? What will happen after?

I feel so much happiness right now. These are the comments I love.

One of my biggest concerns remains just how few levels and characters we've actually been shown for this game.  Even at E3, what we've been shown is mostly additional looks at the levels we've already known of for months.  I'll give Sonic Mania a pass for not showing too many new levels because that game, having (I'm assuming) less focus on plot, would do better to keep these new levels a surprise.  As to its supporting cast and cutscenes, they probably aren't very many and they're not the sort of thing a classic-styled Sonic game draws on for its appeal.  In this sort of game, though, establishing a greater sense of scope is necessary very early on.

Meanwhile, I don't think Sonic Team, as it exists now, as it has made games for the past several years, is ready to make a game like this one.  You said earlier that even if the plot says that a villain has taken over 99% of the world, it doesn't matter as much if he looks pathetic, but that's not just a matter of his personality or personal competence.  What's fucking up the dark, edgy, freedom fighters vibe they're going for is that his minions look pathetic.  Modern Sonic just presses boost and goes through robots; same with the OC pulling the trigger on his flamethrower.  That sort of dynamic might work for a superhero story, but it's terrible for one about rebels.  Rebels should be fighting against enemies that are stronger.  Rebels should win those fights because they outwit, or outmaneuver, or in some climaxes, outnumber their enemies.  Outside of maybe bosses, there's no tension in any of the gameplay footage we've seen so far, and considering the aforementioned lack of plot to pick up the deadweight, that stinks.

With regards to the whole Chemical Plant thing. Assuming it is indeed THE Chemical Plant and not just a generic factory, I don't think it's necessarily guaranteed that it's gonna be in here as a playable stage again.

We can already see there's a focus here on making Sonic's friends more active in the plot, even if they're not playable. They're already giving Sonic information about his surroundings and filling him in on other characters i.e. Shadow so I can totally see them being on their own missions while talking over the radio. Say we're running through a beach level and then Amy comes on the radio to say Knuckles has temporarily gone to Angel Island to check the Master Emerald's not been taken, or that Tails is doing surveillance on the Wing Fortress in the Tornado.

It continues the illusion that  Sonic's friends are actually doing stuff across the planet to help the fight and it'd only undermine that if Sonic has to turn up at all these places himself anyway. It's also a relatively throwaway way of getting the obligatory nostalgia factor in there without actually making us revisit all these stages again.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Joy said:

With regards to the whole Chemical Plant thing. Assuming it is indeed THE Chemical Plant and not just a generic factory, I don't think it's necessarily guaranteed that it's gonna be in here as a playable stage again.

We can already see there's a focus here on making Sonic's friends more active in the plot, even if they're not playable. They're already giving Sonic information about his surroundings and filling him in on other characters i.e. Shadow so I can totally see them being on their own missions while talking over the radio. Say we're running through a beach level and then Amy comes on the radio to say Knuckles has temporarily gone to Angel Island to check the Master Emerald's not been taken, or that Tails is doing surveillance on the Wing Fortress in the Tornado.

It continues the illusion that  Sonic's friends are actually doing stuff across the planet to help the fight and it'd only undermine that if Sonic has to turn up at all these places himself anyway. It's also a relatively throwaway way of getting the obligatory nostalgia factor in there without actually making us revisit all these stages again.

Aaaaaand that's the problem with this game; those things should not be reduced to just an illusion.  I can actually understand why people have some reservations against giving another playable role to the likes of Shadow and Amy, and there's plenty options to make games that don't use them, but for this sort of thing, you need a large, well-developed cast to make you care about their struggle.  Not to mention, if they're just going to jump right back into darkness, flames, the world in chaos, and weapons, playing as Shadow actually fits more than playing as some dorky dog who looks like he belongs at Starbucks.  In fact, I'd totally take more of the sort of run-and-gun gameplay from Shadow the Hedgehog in preference to the toothless excuse for fighting the good fight we've seen in this game so far.

5 hours ago, StaticMania said:

In Sonic and the Black Knight?

It's not the chatter that people dislike, it's the repetitive phrases and/or dull exposition-y dialogue.

Ironically this is the one game in the series that does give you a formal option in the settings to turn off the in-game dialogue (and funnily enough I did for my first play and my experience wasn't hugely affected by it - granted I only did so because the term "Hint Voice On/Off" was misleading, I thought I was just silencing tutorial dialogue so I could better immerse myself).

6 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

It is interesting to see the Avatar play around in both Park Avenue and GHZ. Does that mean his stages will follow both Sonics? Will all three engage in every location? 2 out of the 3? Who knows.

I think Modern and Classic Sonic have their own locations each. The Avatar visits every stage.

• Thumbs Up 1

DCMkMe9XUAAqwGy.jpg:large

Dunno if anyone noticed yet, but apparently during M. Sonic's gameplay the rings just go bye-bye whenever you get hit, with no way to get them back other than collecting a new bunch of rings further down the road.

4 minutes ago, The J said:

DCMkMe9XUAAqwGy.jpg:large

Dunno if anyone noticed yet, but apparently during M. Sonic's gameplay the rings just go bye-bye whenever you get hit, with no way to get them back other than collecting a new bunch of rings further down the road.

That is one of the main points that I noticed, and I'm... mixed.

On the one hand, it could demonstrate a willingness to punish mindlessly boosting around the place, perhaps facilitating more careful use of it, but nothing of the sort has been seen in the footage that we have. If the latter is true, then we have a staple of the franchise being removed for no discernible reason.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think that also occurs for Classic and the Avatar as well, except for the species who can get rings back, (Cat)

• Thumbs Up 1

I've seen discussion lately about the ring system and whether or not it's been in need of adjusting.

There's an argument that the dropped rings mechanic in the Classic games were in essence a work-around for the issue of getting blind-sighted (Sonic 2 being the bigger offender) because of the 4:3 2D view the were played in. With the jump to 3D it's rare that you won't at least see an enemy coming (SA2's mech stages being an exception) so the need for "insurance" isn't there as much and in fact could be seen as only watering down enemy encounters.

We've already seen the boost isn't powered by rings anymore so it won't be as plentiful, nor does it seem to attract them when used. If they are indeed removing the ability to pick up dropped rings (very 8-bit Sonic 1 by the way) then I could see this as their way of at least trying to make enemies a threat again without giving them massive health bars or locking you in a room with them.

• Thumbs Up 3

To be fair it was a pain to catch rings back after losing them in Colors, Generations.

Also is just me, or the IGN footage made the game look way more smoother than before? Sonic seems to control really well, the homing attack is perfect, and the dive boost looks more controllable than the air boost. (Maybe is the same thing, but feels different)

4 minutes ago, Joseph Mello said:

To be fair it was a pain to catch rings back after losing them in Colors, Generations.

Also is just me, or the IGN footage made the game look way more smoother than before? Sonic seems to control really well, the homing attack is perfect, and the dive boost looks more controllable than the air boost. (Maybe is the same thing, but feels different)

Sergio the Not-Intern-iirc played the demo on IGN stream if that's any indication. Still, the homing attack is noticably faster, which is really nice.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

Sergio the Not-Intern-iirc played the demo on IGN stream if that's any indication. Still, the homing attack is noticably faster, which is really nice.

That explains a lot.

I'm happy that the game seems to have better control and level design than Colors. And that's only the first stages, I can't wait to see the rest.

And the little of what we saw of Classic Sonic, he also seems to control better than Generations, his jump seems higher, and he runs faster.

Now the Avatar... Looks really floaty, I don't like it.

I get the sense that the general audience (and some of us, probably) won't feel "sold" on the Avatar character until they get their hands on it. Any chance that Sega will wide-release the demo maybe on Sonic's birthday?