Awoo.

New Sonic Forces Gameplay teased on twitch.tv (link and screenhots here)

Indigo Rush

Just now, Kintor said:

Now where I have seen that before in Sonic media...

Yeah I don't want that. It's pretty much the opposite of what I want. 

• Thumbs Up 7

1 minute ago, Miru the Living Planet said:

And it seems to have a reason to be there,

The reason it's there is "hey guys remember this???", just like in Generations.

Honestly did anyone actually give enough of a shit about the Egg Dragoon to warrant it coming back twice? I never thought it was that compelling a design.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

It's not the animal part I'm questioning, I'm questioning fact they are apparently an army, it's pretty silly 

What's so weird about that? They're more or less like the Freedom Fighters from the Archie comics.

5 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

It's not the animal part I'm questioning, I'm questioning the fact they are apparently an army, it's pretty damn stupid

Is it really? in the context of a Sonic title where the badguy rules over the vast majority of the planet?

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, ShroomZed said:

Yeah I don't want that. It's pretty much the opposite of what I want. 

That's a shame, SatAM is one of my favourite things to ever come from the Sonic franchise. The Restiance in Sonic Forces may not be officially Freedom Fighters but they might as well be. The whole SatAM supporitng cast would be right at home in Sonic Forces.

Eh, I see what Shroom is getting at.

I think it's merely the fact that having an actual army is kinda pointless to the storyline since we already have the main cast and usually, this would be the typical scenerio where the authorities are deemed useless.

I mean, they would at least work fine as side missions or something...

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

Honestly did anyone actually give enough of a shit about the Egg Dragoon to warrant it coming back twice? I never thought it was that compelling a design.

You mean you've not seen the many many threads people have made asking for his great and glorious return?

1 minute ago, ZinogreVolt said:

What's so weird about that? They're more or less like the Freedom Fighters from the Archie comics.

Ah yes that thing that spun off in its own insane direction to the point that it had basically no resemblance to the games and may as well have starred different characters entirely.

• Thumbs Up 6

I dunno man, I guess I was due to get flak for it but I was honestly laughing seeing these silly characters put all this army garb on and treat this like it's a serious war. Come on, it's fucking dumb. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Well not twice. I mean I only wanted it to return because they did next to nothing with it in Unleashed other than having the best QTE finisher.

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

Ah yes that thing that spun off in its own insane direction to the point that it had basically no resemblance to the games and may as well have starred different characters entirely.

You should take the time to read the Archie comics, especialy once Ian Flynn took over. The comic is better in keeping with the tone of the Sonic franchise then many recent Sonic games.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Diogenes said:

Okay, but what about the idea of an army is so bad? It still stars Sonic, plays like a Sonic game, has the interactions of one and other characters characters are there too. That just seems nitpicky to me.

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Let's be fair here. The Egg Dragoon isn't here for nostalgia.

He's here because they're basically reusing all Sonic Generation assets and they needed a cool designed mech for the bait and switch of the Green Hill boss fight.

• Thumbs Up 3

I mean, if they're going to steal everything from Gens anyways, you'd think they'd at least steal its UI too instead of using whatever that abomination is.

• Thumbs Up 4

So am I crazy or have they reused Eggmans intro animations in a previous game? I swear I saw them in Colors.

4 minutes ago, Kintor said:

You should take the time to read the Archie comics, especialy once Ian Flynn took over. The comic is better in keeping with the tone of the Sonic franchise then many recent Sonic games.

Tried. Didn't like them. Too much focus on their own bullshit which I had no interest in. Didn't get much out of the game characters either. Tying Sonic to some sort of Freedom Fighter team is something I have no interest in.

4 minutes ago, ZinogreVolt said:

Okay, but what about the idea of an army is so bad? It still stars Sonic, plays like a Sonic game, has the interactions of one and other characters characters are there too. That just seems nitpicky to me.

I don't actually have a huge grudge against them or anything, but comparing them to the Freedom Fighters is doing more to drive me away from them. Regardless, even if I did hate the idea, saying "well it still plays like a Sonic game!" wouldn't do anything to defend their inclusion anyway. Whether an NPC furry army is a beneficial inclusion is a completely separate issue from whether or not the game plays right.

• Thumbs Up 5

...I'm still not particularly interested in playing this game, but there's actually some fairly positive material here so far as gameplay and story integration goes, and that's what I'm really looking for.  In-level dialogue from other characters seems to be playing a bit more often than necessary, but that's the elegant and seamless way of handling it that I've been looking for for a while.  I think the razor saw embellishment to the original Green Hill Zone boss is a cute alteration, and having a previous endgame mech return for the first boss seems pretty similar to the Mania approach, though time will tell just how heavily allusive Forces intends to be overall; if Chemical Plant comes back and the game turns out to be just Generations 2: What Generations Should Have Been, that will be extremely strange.  Generic anthros are good and enormously superior to the series's insistence on setting itself in an entirely human world for years.  The spider battlemech's use as a platforming obstacle and the mechanisation of GHZ in the Avatar stage is much more original than what the Classic side of the level was doing and is more the sort of thing we were calling for at the time, and even if the design philosophy isn't very unique then it's still a step in the right direction.  And yet we have Classic Sonic being from another dimension now, and I can't fathom why they're doing that unless they literally want to turn Classic and Modern Sonic into parallel series with no relation whatsoever...

This is an odd game.  Like they're taking two steps forwards and one step back.  Or maybe just falling on their face...

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Regardless, even if I did hate the idea, saying "well it still plays like a Sonic game!" wouldn't do anything to defend their inclusion anyway. Whether an NPC furry army is a beneficial inclusion is a completely separate issue from whether or not the game plays right.

You have a point but that wasn't what I was trying to say. I'm saying the inclusion of soldier-like NPCs doesn't make it less of a Sonic game in my opinion. Especially a modern Sonic game.

Rehashing the Egg Dragoon feels dumb.

In Mania, we've got the Death Egg Robot; but there it feels like it's used because it can provide a fun fight with neat mechanics, and because it's hilarious juxtaposition. 

This feels like they brought back an old boss just because they had the assets lying around from Generations. Like it plays differently sure, but it doesn't look particularly novel. It's just... eh. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, KHCast said:

I don't see how anthros and the Unleashed humans couldn't live together personally, but eh.

who was saying that? 

I'm pretty sure was KH was joking.

On a side note, I finally watched the whole thing...and I gotta say.

It looks fine...like legitimately decent.

I get opinions but....come on...  

• Thumbs Up 4

Just comes off like people are saying humans are officially not a thing anymore in the sonic universe since this game focus on anthros it seems