Awoo.

New Sonic Forces Gameplay teased on twitch.tv (link and screenhots here)

Indigo Rush

1 minute ago, Nepenthe said:

He has hover shoes, warping abilities, and Chaos Control.

Shadow could legit flash step like from bleach now that i'm thinking about. He could just walk on air. 

I wish they actually used the characters speed and abilities to do creative things with their powers more, particularly with sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The fact that levels (or maybe it's just this first one) have some form of purpose and context again as opposed to "run through shit just cuz" is good to see and gives me hope that the story won't be too awful. I think the in-game dialogue is cute and informative. And the CaC's version of Green Hill is looking a lot better than Classic Sonic's.

everything else is still yeahhhhh but this game needs some positivity rn so I'll keep mum about what's looking sucky for the time being

• Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Shadow's traveling above the city at high speed? Is he in his Super form or did one of the Death Egg Robots grab him and toss his ass clear across the skyline?

Could be using the GUN ship from '06 :P

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

Yeah and they were always pretty bullshit because Knuckles was always kinda dumb.

Some of them were bullshit. I still maintain that Knuckles was cool in the first two seasons of Sonic X for instance. He had his derp moments but that's always been apart of his character. So long as he can be serious when he needs to be then they're striving for that balance that made him more of an interesting guy. Nowadays, he's there and that's cool but those cool elements about him being lost kind of made him fall back quite a bit for me. Which younger me probably never imagined would happen. 

Just now, Detective Shadzter said:

Could be using the GUN ship from '06 :P

This game is actually Sonic and Sega all stars racing transformed 2, he's in his Gun Jet. 

Shadow is riding in on a warp star, it is revealed at the Nintendo conference, he was upgraded from assist trophy and announced for smash.

Totally happening. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I also like the other characters talking in-game as long as it's done right, which wasn't the case very often in the series. It gave us some nice character moments in Heroes when they were talking about the scenery or events from earlier games and I admit I only played through Shadow the Hedgehog's expert mode because the character interactions got so ridiculous towards the end. Of course, those game are also the worst examples thanks to unnecessary lines such as LOOKATALLTHOSEEGGMANROBOTS every other minute, and the only time their voices were used in Generations it was done horribly wrong, even if the intention was nice ("We're in this one together" and all). I remember Black Knight also had some nice in-game dialogue, but the problem was you would die and restart from checkpoints with the same lines just repeating over and over. Let's see how Forces will handle it, but I can see the whole "We're totally fighting but unfortunately somewhere else entirely!" getting old sooner rather than later.

So with this game having a hubworld or map, I guess the Chaotix and maybe Silver will stay behind and patrol the first area once it's been cleared of Eggy's forces, while Tails/Amy/Knuckles will follow Sonic and we'll get Rouge, Blaze, Cream, Omega (his VA said he was working on a Sonic project) and maybe Sticks, Big or Jet in later areas. And whatever's the plan for Shadow, anyway.

I'm not too confident how they will handle a bigger cast than Generations which already had everyone extremely underutilised, but I actually hope for the missions to feature the characters again. I liked the Co-Op Challenge Acts even if they were kind of underwhelming because it felt like a step closer to being playable. By clearing their missions you'd probably unlock their trademark accessories or gadgets for the Avatar. Bonus points if there are hubworld interactions and cutscenes starring the characters, but not counting on that.

Oh and it's still too early for me to judge on the gameplay and overall quality of the game, but all the rehashing of bosses (with Chaos probably returning as well) and stages must have something to do with budget. I don't think main Sonic titles get budgets as big as Unleashed or even Generations when sales have been declining so much in the last couple of years, which may also be why the graphics are not improving anymore.

Modern Sonic's 2D section looks a tad too simple for my tastes, but I can appreciate how it looks to be designed around reacting to obstacles as well

1 hour ago, Joy said:

I took "travelling above the city" as running across the rooftops honestly.

Oh yeah... that makes sense...

I dunno why but I imagined him just getting punted across the city by one of the robots.

• Thumbs Up 4

I keep getting urked whenever I see the characters jump in this game, how it works is just off.

Things look even worse the way Modern Sonic works in 2D, things just seem way too slow and, again, I don't like how the scaling works. Things look too tiny in some ways and way too big in others, your model is like an ant leaving you feeling like you have to squint at your character.

I will say that the locations DO look nice in some ways, Green Hill has some things that are nice, but as a general whole I'm just not liking this game whatsoever, and things still seem way too far off from completion for this to be a game coming out this holiday season.

It screams paranoia to complete, and I would wholeheartedly loathe being a part of the staff behind Forces, it's a developmental nightmare.

I just realized something about the retarded "two worlds" thing and why they are saying that classic Sonic was from another dimension. It seems like the story was considered an afterthought to the gameplay. Like they have built the whole game first then tried to figure out how to create a quick and dirty story line, which is probably also the reason why they hired Ken Pontac to write, because he can do something quick and dirty.

This seems to be a trend that probably had its roots with 06, and gotten worse with the stigma that Unleashed created. I'm not saying there is any hope for them, but they defiantly need some fan intervention and that is what I feel Maina is bringing to the table. Hopefully, they can turn more towards the fans in the future for the confidence they seem to have lost.

I don't know how to put this, but I've looked at how (Modern) Sonic moved over and over again and I can't helped but to notice he seems to be...more controllable than in Unleashed/Colours-Colors/Generations. Even while going faster he seems to be able to turn more easily and the homing attacks seems to not abruptly stop.

It just looks smoother and I'm really liking it so far.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Oh yeah... that makes sense...

I dunno why but I imagined him just getting punted across the city by one of the robots.

I will pay someone to draw this.

• Thumbs Up 9

15 minutes ago, LukA8 said:

I remember Black Knight also had some nice in-game dialogue, but the problem was you would die and restart from checkpoints with the same lines just repeating over and over.

Almost all games do this specifically, that's not a Black Knight exclusive problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, JC_Mike said:

I just realized something about the retarded "two worlds" thing and why they are saying that classic Sonic was from another dimension. It seems like the story was considered an afterthought to the gameplay. Like they have built the whole game first then tried to figure out how to create a quick and dirty story line, which is probably also the reason why they hired Ken Pontac to write, because he can do something quick and dirty.

This seems to be a trend that probably had its roots with 06, and gotten worse with the stigma that Unleashed created. I'm not saying there is any hope for them, but they defiantly need some fan intervention and that is what I feel Maina is bringing to the table. Hopefully, they can turn more towards the fans in the future for the confidence they seem to have lost.

Keep in mind they have to do SOMETHING to make it "Not A Sequel" to the Generations title and that's how they're doing. It's cheap, it's ridiculous, but it's how they're doing it. Continuity still be d@$ed in this franchise. No need to build off the past title save reusing things from them ala Wisps and assets along with enemy/boss models and skeletons.

Forces is wholeheartedly cheap and its budget is being splurged on things that are not necessary/wanted, it's being frivolous with little to be frivolous with.

I'll just list my thoughts so far from watching this:

- Not a fan of the UI, honestly. It just seems so dull, and the angled style isn't something that I like the look of.

- While it's nice to see some interesting dialogue with the other characters, I kinda hope that there's an option to remove it on repeat playthroughs.

- Classic Sonic is from an alternate dimension? For reals, now? That's... weird. Maybe it's supposed to tie into that whole "two worlds" thing that Iizuka's mentioned in recent interviews? (Probably not.)

- Modern Eggman and Tails fighting/assisting Classic Sonic? Seems like he's the only Classic character in the game for now.

- Egg Dragoon 3.0... didn't see that one coming. An interesting choice, but if you're gonna bring another old Eggman final boss back, why not the Egg Emperor instead?

- The 'soldier' NPC only appeared in the Avatar's stage so far. Maybe the Avatar is a well-regarded member of this army/resistance that's appeared from Eggman's invasion.

- The Avatar's Green Hill stage looks pretty good. More interesting than Classic Sonic's version shown before.

- That mention of Chemical Plant... I'd rather not potentially revisit another Generations-featured classic level AGAIN.

- I think I'm seeing a pattern with each stage's music: Modern Sonic levels have more rock-based tracks, Classic Sonic gets Mega Drive-esque synthesised tracks (supposedly), and the Avatar gets funky pop-like vocal tracks. Granted, we've only heard/seen one Modern stage, but both Classic stages and Avatar stages so far have similar music, so... I dunno. It's a stretch, but I think it's possible.

I'll leave it at that for now.

8 minutes ago, JC_Mike said:

This has been a thing for 10 years lo.

6 minutes ago, Jetronic said:

I don't know how to put this, but I've looked at how (Modern) Sonic moved over and over again and I can't helped but to notice he seems to be...more controllable than in Unleashed/Colours-Colors/Generations. Even while going faster he seems to be able to turn more easily and the homing attacks seems to not abruptly stop.

It just looks smoother and I'm really liking it so far.

I will pay someone to draw this.

I noticed this as well and I hope to God it really is like that in the final game.  So tired of the 'operate Sonic like a broken down car' style of gameplay that we've had since Unleashed.  Wasnt good in Sonic R, isn't any better in a main series platformer.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Almost all games do this specifically, that's not a Black Knight exclusive problem.

Well maybe I was just very bad at that game okay? XD

Point is they should finally include an option to turn it off, or at least play the lines only once until the level is completed. That shouldn't be hard to do.

1 hour ago, LukA8 said:

Well maybe I was just very bad at that game okay? XD

Point is they should finally include an option to turn it off, or at least play the lines only once until the level is completed. That shouldn't be hard to do.

Is that a standard feature for games? I actually don't know since I never want to turn dialogue off. 

If dialogue is context sensitive, it doesn't matter because that only ever plays once. If it's timed sensitive, then it depends on how the game handles itself. 

Just now, Celestia said:

Well, they let you turn off Omochao in Generations.

Omochao is tutorial though, they did the same thing in Colors with that navigator feature.

1 hour ago, LukA8 said:

So with this game having a hubworld or map, I guess the Chaotix and maybe Silver will stay behind and patrol the first area once it's been cleared of Eggy's forces, while Tails/Amy/Knuckles will follow Sonic and we'll get Rouge, Blaze, Cream, Omega (his VA said he was working on a Sonic project) 

Wait what? Really?

Oh! Holy shit! Apparently he did! I just found it on a twitter post.

Oh please let it be true~! 

• Thumbs Up 4

I still don't know why they gave Omega to Mignogna of all people, Omega sounds pretty much the same no matter who's voicing him (not counting 06) and Vic hardly gets to let any of his conviction or anger (AKA the two things he's best at) shine through with the performance.

1 hour ago, Shaddy the guy said:

I still don't know why they gave Omega to Mignogna of all people, Omega sounds pretty much the same no matter who's voicing him (not counting 06) and Vic hardly gets to let any of his conviction or anger (AKA the two things he's best at) shine through with the performance.

He sounds a lot deeper but for the most part you're right. 

But I don't give a shit really. Vic's a good actor so I'm glad he voices a character I really fucking love.  

I just hope he's in the game and it's not an "Additional Voices" credit. 

Dear lord. That would be painful. I want so bad to have it confirmed that Omega truly did not give a flying fuck about Sonic's birthday.