Awoo.

New Sonic Forces Gameplay teased on twitch.tv (link and screenhots here)

Indigo Rush

I at least like that this game is trying to make use of Sonic's larger cast of characters in a more active way, but do they really have to have them yapping over the levels all the time? When has that ever been received well in a Sonic game?

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Paaaaaaaa said:

I at least like that this game is trying to make use of Sonic's larger cast of characters in a more active way, but do they really have to have them yapping over the levels all the time? When has that ever been received well in a Sonic game?

Well... It's probably a "Listen to them once, then you can use the settings to get rid of them" kind of thing. A once and done deal.

At least... I'd like to assume/hope so...

The problem with this would be Sonic Team misinterpreting peoples dislike for all the other characters talking as not wanting them in a game period.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Celestia said:

I bet he's kicking himself now. XP

One thing that I noticed previously but stuck out to me when watching the footage again is that the boost doesn't seem to attract Rings anymore. They don't charge the boost gauge or anything this time around but this still surprises me I guess?

Really curious what's happening tomorrow. Aaron said there would be Forces news, right? I have no idea what it could possibly be since we seem to know everything that's in the E3 demo...maybe a full run of Park Avenue and there's a surprise of some kind at the end??

A trailer with cutscene teasers, more level and boss footage is most likely.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

In Sonic and the Black Knight?

It's not the chatter that people dislike, it's the repetitive phrases and/or dull exposition-y dialogue.

Find a professional review that lists in-game dialogue in Sonic and the Black Knight as a positive point. 

1 minute ago, Indigo Rush said:

Find a professional review that lists in-game dialogue in Sonic and the Black Knight as a positive point. 

Even with games where in-game dialogue is praised (Star Fox 64 I think was one of those games at the time), it still tends to be pretty polarizing, no matter what you do to be honest.  There's just no way to actually win with in-game dialogue.

That being said, that doesn't mean you should deliberately for the most annoying thing, either.

• Thumbs Up 2

A part of me thinks Eggman has gotten a huge boost in his god complex after he won as evident in the classic stage boss, he starts off with probably the oldest trick in the book and when it doesn't go his way, he lashes out with the Egg Dragoon.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Kid-Icarus-Uprising_N3DS_US_ESRB.jpg

Hide contents

*Drop's the mike*

A game I have not played so I can't comment on! =o

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Tara said:

A game I have not played so I can't comment on! =o

Neither have I. but after overhearing my bro play 1 stage I knew that they NAILED that presentation. The characters do not shut up and it is glorious.

Go watch a stage. Doesn't particularly matter which one.

EDIT: Scratch that. Choose one that features Hades. He rocks that hard.

• Thumbs Up 4

39 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

It's a Giant Crabmeat isn't it?

Wouldn't that be the thing to call it?

S1ee_crabmeat.png300px-Shellcracker.png35146954781_720043a40a_m.jpg

It doesn't look anything like Crabmeat, Shellcracker, or the Crab Bots from Sonic Boom.

I'm saying this even when the Motobug Sentinels still look like Motobugs.

Granted there are number of Badniks and Enemies that still don't have official names either in English or in Japanese. Or the names are really not that creative. 

Going back and naming some of them does sound like a fun fan project, though.

• Thumbs Up 2

41 minutes ago, Rummy said:

A part of me thinks Eggman has gotten a huge boost in his god complex after he won as evident in the classic stage boss, he starts off with probably the oldest trick in the book and when it doesn't go his way, he lashes out with the Egg Dragoon.

I don't know...

His character so far... I was hoping for more of a serious SA/SA2/Satam direction for Eggman in this one, though the moment the writer was revealed I knew I was in for more of Santa-Man but...

I'll reserve judgement on Eggman as a general whole for now. I just hope we see his Adventure self more and less of his Unleashed-Now self that turned him into the incompetent laughing stock he is today.

Even if he conquered the world it still means little if his character is still ridiculous to the point not even ruling the world makes him a real villain but just a fat clown the world was too incompetent to stop.

If he conquered the world with his Unleashed-Now character I think that just speaks about how pathetic Sonic's world has become and doesn't do anything to make Eggman a better villain in my eyes.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I don't know...

His character so far... I was hoping for more of a serious SA/SA2/Satam direction for Eggman in this one, though the moment the writer was revealed I knew I was in for more of Santa-Man but...

I'll reserve judgement on Eggman as a general whole for now. I just hope we see his Adventure self more and less of his Unleashed-Now self that turned him into the incompetent laughing stock he is today.

Even if he conquered the world it still means little if his character is still ridiculous to the point not even ruling the world makes him a real villain but just a fat clown the world was too incompetent to stop.

If he conquered the world with his Unleashed-Now character I think that just speaks about how pathetic Sonic's world has become and doesn't do anything to make Eggman a better villain in my eyes.

Why? Eggman has already conquered the world in this one, and he has never been more entertaining than he has been in recent games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eggman is too crazy for da guy. He apparently needs some more "menace"...which he hasn't had from Heroes onward.

8 minutes ago, Paaaaaaaa said:

Why? Eggman has already conquered the world in this one, and he has never been more entertaining than he has been in recent games.

I just can't see the world taking Eggman seriously post-Unleashed, think about how he was mocked by the tribe in that game, the world considers him as much of a joke in-game as the fan base does going by that.

The fact he conquered the world in Forces with his personality of today... I don't know what to make of it if that's the case. It's like I said, he's no villain really, just a fat clown no man or robot will take seriously.

I'm all for an entertaining villain but Eggman doesn't fit that bill for me. He's like a cheap imitation of the Joker only nobody is afraid of him, not even his lackeys.

He's... Eggman, not a villain, not a threat, just... Eggman...

His character and "ruling the world" just don't click which is why I was hoping for a different character behind him in this game to fit being the ruler.

He might be more entertaining, but at the cost of being a character folks care about except for a good laugh.

-Edit-

...F@$k am I going to miss Archie...

At least they somehow managed to make his present-day self worthwhile.

27 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I just can't see the world taking Eggman seriously post-Unleashed, think about how he was mocked by the tribe in that game, the world considers him as much of a joke in-game as the fan base does going by that.

The fact he conquered the world in Forces with his personality of today... I don't know what to make of it if that's the case. It's like I said, he's no villain really, just a fat clown no man or robot will take seriously.

I'm all for an entertaining villain but Eggman doesn't fit that bill for me. He's like a cheap imitation of the Joker only nobody is afraid of him, not even his lackeys.

He's... Eggman, not a villain, not a threat, just... Eggman...

His character and "ruling the world" just don't click which is why I was hoping for a different character behind him in this game to fit being the ruler.

He might be more entertaining, but at the cost of being a character folks care about except for a good laugh.

-Edit-

...F@$k am I going to miss Archie...

At least they somehow managed to make his present-day self worthwhile.

Or the faint possibility he's been re-railed, if even only to a bland villain like in 06 or 4? 

10 hours ago, Gabe said:

I really doubt people were specifically calling for another classic Sonic/modern Sonic teamup or to have Green Hill checkerboards become the staple opening stage for every new Sonic game going forward. I can see how praise over those elements can be misinterpreted / spun by Sega and/or Sonic Team to assume that's what people want, but I suspect the actual reality is a different picture.

Then again, apparently its the fans' fault they didn't specify specific character physics (Sonic and Super Sonic) when they ask for physics improvements, and they didn't ask to make Tails playable alone when they asked for Tails to be playable, so you might have a point. So its probably our fault we weren't specifically calling for a boost game without classic Sonic or levels to still have original content instead of rehashes. "We don't know what we want," of course.

Characters, stories, 2D gameplay, and now even game content being addressed by the publisher/developers into the most compromised and deliberately obtuse responses possible. This is one of many real Sonic Cycles--the unicycle clown show of hamfisted company PR and fan feedback.

I agree with everything said here soooo much! That link especially just shows how disconnected Sonic Team as a whole is. Like how they reused level ideas for Sonic 4 episode 1 and 2 because "they ran out of ideas" like seriously? The lack of effort there from Episode 2 onwards just astounds me.

And now with this whole CaC nonsense I am convinced Sega doesn't give a crap about there fans, this isn't just being lazy or incompetant, they flat out are doing something that feels insulting to be perfectly honest with you all...still don't know how to feel about this as a whole outside of "f**k you sega you screwed it all up!"

At least we still got mania though, that'll be good! 

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Eggman is too crazy for da guy. He apparently needs some more "menace"...which he hasn't had from Heroes onward.

"Menace" is... not exactly the wrong word for what Eggman needs, but it is a rather broad one, which lends itself to misinterpretation. What Eggman really needs right now is credibility, and Chris Knopps is correct in saying that Forces premise does not automatically proved that. If Darth Vader spent the Star Wars movies tripping over his shoelaces, being roundly mocked by the heroes, and generally acting like an incompetent buffoon he would not have much in the way of credibility. It doesn't matter if the plot says Vader is a powerful Sith, that he slaughtered hundreds of Jedi, or that he was instrumental to establishing the Emperor's iron grip on the galaxy, if the film presents him as a bumbler the audience is going to take him as such. Similarly, so long as Eggman (the character, not the event surrounding him) is treated like a joke he is not going to win any credibility points. Conversely, if Eggman starts getting treated as a genuine threat again he'll start regaining credibility and "menace" will follow from there.

Now, to be clear, I'm not saying that Eggman can't be goofy or that he has to act super sinister. Just ease up on the insults and have him stop acting like a pathetic loser. Instead, return him to how he worked best: A brilliant, hammy, egotist, with a childish desire to remake the world in his own image and the resources, cunning, ruthlessness, pragmatism, and tenacity to make it a reality if the heroes don't bring their A-game.

Y'know, like this guy: 

• Thumbs Up 5

Eggman has never not been mocked by Sonic...and that pretty much remains true even through the writer shift. Sonic is the only one whoever mocks the Eggman.

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Eggman has never not been mocked by Sonic...and that pretty much remains true even through the writer shift. Sonic is the only one whoever mocks the Eggman.

The point Bowbowis is trying to make is that the story as a whole treats Eggman as nothing but a joke. It's one thing if Sonic was the only one who treated him as a joke, but did so because he was trying to unhinge Eggman because he knows how dangerous Eggman is capable of being. But the problem is that the whole narrative treats him as nothing but a joke, which makes the change at the end where he's suddenly supposed to be taken seriously not only incredibly jarring, but very poorly executed.

Really if we're going for a guy who's both a laughably evil guy and a menace, Aku from Samurai Jack would be a decent template.

6 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

...suddenly supposed to be taken seriously not only incredibly jarring, but very poorly executed.

This has never been the case...if the narrative has treated him like a joke as you say, he's being treated as one all the way through.

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

This has never been the case...if the narrative has treated him like a joke as you say, he's being treated as one all the way through.

Lost World, Generations, and Colors would like to have a word with you.