Awoo.

New Sonic Forces Gameplay teased on twitch.tv (link and screenhots here)

Indigo Rush

41 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

Already being discussed here:

I'm just surprised that Chaos is back. And if he's back my girl Tikal better be in this game as well, and maybe some significance to the Master Emerald once again.

2 hours ago, RLS Legacy said:

Why.

Why is Zavok back.

Nobody wanted Zavok back.

Sorry, but who died and made you the speaker of what the Sonic Fandom wanted back? You don't speak for everyone, and I say this as someone who doesn't like the D6.

Believe it or not, Zavok and the D6 has their fans like every other character in the series, and I'm pretty sure they've voiced their desire to see him again. So regardless of how you or anyone else feels, I think they have every right to enjoy his presence instead of being dismissed as "nobodies" like that.

• Thumbs Up 3

@NikoS is trying to help me out but I figured I'd ask here as well. Is their a Youtube page where I can watch all the gameplay that was shown yesterday for both Mania and Forces? I'm really not paying all that much attention to Sonic this E3, way too much else has caught my attention.

I don't know why Mania and Forces is being shown off at soo many different streams this E3 and its quite annoying to sift to find the most complete gameplay footage.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shadow has been planning this uprising for a long time behind the scenes. He just waited until the right moment when sonic would be too weakened and focused on saving the world from eggman... and ..... and.....I got nothing.

So anything new concerning Mania today? Any new levels availible to play? No Chemical Plant, Flying Battery? Nothing?

A full playthrough of the custom character's Park Avenue stage. There's a really neat underground section around 2 minutes in that we've never seen before too!

19 hours ago, Ayliffe said:

Here's footage of the Forces gameplay from IGN's stream, sans the people talking over it! Thanks IGN!

EDIT: Since IGN prob knows how awful their video player is, they've also put it on their youtube! 

Ta lads!

I must say, something I don't like about this game, particularly bad with modern Sonic, is how artificial and prescribed his fights against enemies are.  This bit with lining up and executing homing attack combos on a bunch of enemies has always been a problem with modern games, but up until maybe Sonic 2006 I remember enemies being lined up for your convenience only when they were needed to cross a gap.  But here, that arrangement is everywhere, and it breaks what little narrative this game has even further. 

To clarify, if these Eggman's robots are oppressing and attacking and restricting people, as the plot says they are, then why are so damn many of them spoonfeeding themselves to me so I can smash a lot of them in a hurry and rack up points, without even having to deviate from my course?  What the fuck ever happened to Sonic level design that encouraged people to go off the beaten path and explore?  What happened to making the challenge of getting higher scores require such exploration?  Is this the standard shit we get from the hailed and newfangled boost formula that's somehow the best-received Sonic mechanic ever?  That's pathetic!  This isn't Sonic; this isn't the exciting story of a superpowered rodent following his dreams of traveling everywhere and fighting evildoers, this is fucking bowling!  This sort of gameplay might be acceptable in the sorts of dis-serious games they've done for the past few years, albeit still a slap in the face to the mystique Sonic once had, but for the record, this is purported to be the long-awaited return of the serious, high-stakes scenario of "Dr. Robotnik conquers world, freedom-fighters included Sonic take it back", but it has this and all those other things sucking the credibility and adventure right out of that plot.  If these robots acted any more like willing chumps to Sonic, they'd probably offer to suck his dick!

This is the latest on my growing list of reasons that I wish the boost would just go away.  It seems some people here do, in fact, like it, but can they argue there's some sort of compromise wherein it's kept but this coddling, linear level design and enemy placement made for the boost is thrown out?

22 hours ago, Fusion Force said:

So if you listen closely in that Modern Sonic stage, the music sorta changes when Sonic uses the boost. That's kinda a neat touch to the gameplay imo...

Unleashed, Colours and Generations all had this effect and it was super annoying in the end coz it kills the bass in the music.  I really wish they didn't do it.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, Ayliffe said:

A full playthrough of the custom character's Park Avenue stage. There's a really neat underground section around 2 minutes in that we've never seen before too!

Can't say I'm a fan of how the flow of the gameplay is interrupted every two seconds by having to take down enemies. Say what you want about the boost, at least it keeps the flow going.

• Thumbs Up 1

The vibe here seems very nitpicky and negative, but I'm still kinda hyped for this.

So, things I like...

Shadow being an antagonist is good by me - hopefully they can give him a better logic for his joining the dark side schtick than Sonic Boom. Sonic's villains are at their best when they can either match him with his speed or beat him in skills he hasn't mastered. Shadow, being a genetic mutation with alien dna fits that, I don't mind Shadow here.

The idea that Sonic/Classic/Edgelord The Hedge is going through the stage whilst a wider fight is going on, with the ingame dialogue. I hope that this means the cutscenes will be very strong with appearances from everyone. 

Metal Sonic, fuck yeah.

Chaos, Fuck Yeah. A being that Sonic can only kill in his Super Sonic form? Chaos is the true threat here.

I like the way the stages play out so far, it is absolutely Generations 2, but then I will play Generations everyday. Game's a good'un. I want more of that.

I fucking love that every Avatar stage has vocal tracks. That's a super dope touch.

Things I dislike...

What does Robotnik have to do with this story? If the Infinity dude has the true power, why is Robotnik there? How do they both play into the story? I am being teased and I don't like it. 

Is anyone hyped for Zavok? 

Too much 2D in Modern Sonic's Park Avenue - hopefully later stages incorporate the twitch-reaction gameplay of Generations/Unleashed rather than Colours, because Park Avenue doesn't have that so far.

The Score Ranking music sounds like a Midi file that's going to be replaced by real music later.

The scoring system in general seems to be too generous again - you're telling me some bozo from IGN can get an S-Rank on these?

The way it seems, each character will go through every stage - there's probably Modern Sonic going through Green Hill that we haven't seen yet - and I'd rather see them put the effort into making some unique stages for each one. Given the expense of modern game development, it's not likely. But it's annoying all the same.

Really, Zavok?

10 hours ago, Ayliffe said:

Hate to be negative but really don't like the look of that. Hopefully this is just first-level syndrome and the rest will be better though. 

Yeah, I think the issue with their gameplay thus far is that, outside of the flamethrower and a Wisp(?), there doesn't seem to be any other way for Avatars to take out enemies quickly, and there's a ton of them on the field at any given time. This means players have been spamming the homing attack which makes the whole thing stilted and awkward and... just not fun-looking. A move/weapon with a wider field of damage is desperately needed here.

• Thumbs Up 3

More footage, this time with the Lightning Wispon being used in the Custom GHZ. Actually looks like the lightdash that it offers could be used to great effect, if not for the fact that it's so limited by the energy gauge.

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

More footage, this time with the Lightning Wispon being used in the Custom GHZ. Actually looks like the lightdash that it offers could be used to great effect, if not for the fact that it's so limited by the energy gauge.

One thing I notice here is that it seems like Sonic can't regain his rings when getting hit, at least during the boss fight. 

Also, that spider thing was massively underwhelming and anticlimactic; a simple quick-step setpiece and then a single-button QTE? It deserved so much better!

• Thumbs Up 3

On 6/14/2017 at 4:46 PM, PerfectChaos said:

One thing I notice here is that it seems like Sonic can't regain his rings when getting hit, at least during the boss fight. 

Also, that spider thing was massively underwhelming and anticlimactic; a simple quick-step setpiece and then a single-button QTE? It deserved so much better!

Well at least they're keeping in tradition

This game definitely feels more lively than the past few ones have been so far. Maybe it's because the levels are starting to feel like actual bit parts of a story with all the banter and set-pieces. 

Putting things into perspective, I can't help but imagine what things would have been like had this game come first with Generations being the one we were reacting to afterward. I like Generations but my reaction upon seeing what it had to offer would have been far worse than anything I've dished out to Forces. 

These elements... I know these are all first stages and such and I shouldn't judge based on just this but I've missed feeling like we were going on actual adventures for so long. Like I'm going through some sort of withdrawl. And this game is giving me hope again. I'm excited to get my hands on it and see if it's true.

But that's story and characters talk. Gameplay wise, the avatar looks fine (and the lightning thing even looks a bit fun) but I still wish it weren't there. It's just too distracting watching it do stuff, knowing they have the models of the other characters in the game. 

Iizuka in that interview hit on the thing a lot of us were talking about when it came to handling characters other than Sonic but somehow he did a very strange mental leap over the obvious solution and gave it to an avatar character instead of some of the others. Him even saying this game is a sister game to Mania even makes it weirder.

I'm imagining someone sitting down with him, setting the Mania box in front of him, and pointing at Knuckles and Tails in the game and then pointing at the Avatar character's gameplay and him just staring at them, not getting the connection... 

• Thumbs Up 6

Haven't been keeping up, is it confirmed anywhere that the PS4 and Xbox versions are running in 60FPS?

On 6/12/2017 at 10:21 AM, Indigo Rush said:

I don't think Generations is canon at this point.

To be completely honest, I'm starting to think that Generations was a soft reboot of the series. A new starting point, if you will.

13 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Haven't been keeping up, is it confirmed anywhere that the PS4 and Xbox versions are running in 60FPS?

Looks like it runs 60 frames on PS4 at least in gameplay videos. Haven't really seen Xbox version on the interwebs tho.

So the dialogue in the Avatar's version of Park Avenue seems to suggest that this is the very start of the game. Characters are shocked to find out that Death Egg Robots can be mass produced and the dialogue from Amy seems to implies that the assault on this city has just begun, as there are still people evacuating.

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

I don't think it's been said outright. The PS4 Pro footage is definitely 60fps, and the Switch version is likely to be capped at 30fps. That's all I'm certain about right now. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I'm imagining someone sitting down with him, setting the Mania box in front of him, and pointing at Knuckles and Tails in the game and then pointing at the Avatar character's gameplay and him just staring at them, not getting the connection... 

I've followed this line of thought for a while... particularly with Unleashed and the decision to build a Werehog out of nowhere in lieu of using punch'em the Echidna for brawler based gameplay.

But to be perfectly honest, the second you substitute the Avatar for Tails or Knuckles is the very second the masses would rage that their gameplay isn't more reminiscent of Sonic's. It doesn't fit that "Sonic but a little different" magic mold that the series strays further and further away from. Delivering on this gadget based gameplay almost needed a new character, just to give us the perception that its not supposed to be a new spin on Sonic's playstyle, but a third playstyle all together. That new character just also happens to be CaC is all.

Even if the gameplay fits from Tails perspective; its simply doesn't fit the franchise mold of what Tails should be doing as a playable character (Sonic + Flight).

I.... understand.... tolerate.... eh..... I see what Iizuka was thinking with this one. Using Tails or Knux here would probably be a mistake and we'd all lambast him for shoe-horning in a popular character instead of giving us what we want (lol). We'd be screaming about a 10 year step back to the Genre Roulette.

That being said, I'm up for DLC skins of established characters. Thats just harmless fun.

• Thumbs Up 2