Awoo.

New Sonic Forces Gameplay teased on twitch.tv (link and screenhots here)

Indigo Rush

Since everyone else has made the argument I would've made, I'd like to ask what problems exist in the actual narrative of the main Sonic Team releases that are so egregious and irreconcilable between the classic games and everything else that it necessitate a split timeline to fix.

• Thumbs Up 3

13 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Since everyone else has made the argument I would've made, I'd like to ask what problems exist in the actual narrative of the main Sonic Team releases that are so egregious and irreconcilable between the classic games and everything else that it necessitate a split timeline to fix.

Green eyes. :V

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Wolfy said:

Have to agree with Nepa bit, the timeline thing is actually ridiculous, and here I thought Generations once upon a time was gonna be the end of an old era and start a new timeless slate.

And thats what I wish Sonic canon was to tell you the truth: timeless adventures. You can have some direct sequels sure, but I'd much rather do away with overarching dimension hopping timeline for some self contained timeless adventures. You can still feature nostalgic enemies and settings but it gives you room to breathe and experiment with artstyles and so forth. Heck you can do that regardless even lmao.

I just feel like long timelines are used for either character building or driving the plot of a huge story, and Sonic does neither really. Peeps stay the same and each game seems to be a new world stopping problem; so why insist on caring about two Sonics and if Shadow is the real one and blah blah blah. Why cant it just be more Mickey Mouse style and things dont age or time doesnt really seem to be a thing.

Tellin' ya, coulda just lamely checked out with "Time Eater ate the time so...we're doing this now" Sonic Team :v

They can't because, and to be fair its not them a lot of franchises and brands do this, they are keeping shit in the pocket in case they want to bring shit back. You go time doesn't matter, and then years later because of whatever failures they incurred they have now decided classic sonic is the problem and they must make an adventure game, or type game rather ok, so if they just declare shit is canon again and matters because that's what those games did, then its like " which one is the answer" if they declare time doesn't matter we are mickey mouse. A lot of the lore decisions in sonic amount to " incase of interest break glass" , and I don't blame them. I also don't hate their being a timeline,  work, could work , but wont. I'l give some and keep them short, if you want to go further into it its fine, but I know people have lives and valuable time so Ill try to keep it short

1)Everything needs to be seen through the lense of sonic. Mickey mouse characters can just be very different very un mickey characters in very un mickey places, but because of sega even in spin off games everything needs to exist in a world where sonic could exist instead of just not. Even nintendo doesn't do this, wario land and wario ware take place in very different places with very different art styles than normal mario and that's ok. You don't have to cram wario levels and wario aesthetic into a mario game, it can just exist in a separate wario universe. And that's ok, but everything in sonic must exist and also be able to accommodate their view of sonic, not everything needs to. Like goof Troop or Duck tails wouldn't exist if everything had to accommodate mickey mouse, heck house of mouse wouldn't exist if everything needed to accommodate mickey, or kingdom hearts , ect ect. Not only do characters exist in worlds, not shown through the lense of mickey, but micky can exists in whole other worlds colored by the lenses of other people eniterly and be a different character and its fine. 

2) they want you to see the characters in a very specific restrictive way. The thing with Disney cartoons of the mouse variety is that they have widley different versions of the characters. And I don't mean, mickey mouse is a musketeer, i mean like in one cartoon mickey mouse is spongebob. In another Goofy is dealing with raising a child and being a widow, whilst also being goofy. Like the reason that works is that they let go of their characters being seen in a certain way ( obviously I don't mean Micky is going to start snorting coke soon) , but they can be varied. Its why i feel like boom is kind of waste of potential becacuse they could have gone widley different with those characters, but instead they went on slight exggerative variants with no motivation.

3) Willing to sit down and create these things , while focusing on that thing at one time. And having the confidence to do so with out going back to their old habbits of " throw this entirely different thematic game play element that doesn't fit " . Essentally they would need to have the confident to adhere to those ideas, but I doubt they would do that

These are things I feel sonic team would need to do to start sonic in a direction where he might end up as this mickey mouse-esque malleable character , Its just that knowing what sonic team is now, they will never do it. They have very particularly ideas on how characters should be, where they have rules like " sonic can't loose" in the comic book, and there are plenty of Disney cartoons where their lives suck. May I remind you goofy's dead wife. They would have to let characters exist in places where sonic doesn't fit , or couldn't. And they would have the confidence to commit to those decisions. I feel like sonic could get there, but they would require the leader ship, vision , confidence and a willingness to try that I don't think sega has. Time lines wouldn't matter if there were a bunch of varied quality content starring different people in different places doing different stuff, time wouldn't matter. But that would requires the stuff I just said, and sega's not into that. 

Did everybody forget Sonic Boom Shattered Crystal where Shadow assisted Team Sonic to defeat Lyric and the Sonic Boom episode where he dislikes Eggman and other villains.

2 hours ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Did everybody forget Sonic Boom Shattered Crystal where Shadow assisted Team Sonic to defeat Lyric and the Sonic Boom episode where he dislikes Eggman and other villains.

Problably. A lot of people don't pay attention to boom, and the show in general. I try to keep up with it and the games, but a lot of folks in the fanbase don't. It just kind of exists, and then every time they remember it exists they cringe. On top of that, that version of shadow isn't very popular, so double no. This isn't pretentious either, I would like people to remember sonic boom, lotta folks don't. And it looks like it might be dying a slow death on boomerang to never be heard from again. Which sucks. 

Sonic Boom needs to win this award from North America so both the show and the games can continue and get better as they progress. Winning this award should be enough to convince Sega and CN to bring it back to CN.

Honestly the canon and identity of this series is so messed up to the point where i think they should just reboot modern sonic.

Actually, I remembered hearing talk 5 or so years ago that a reboot of the franchise was going to happen with Boom. New designs, new characters, Skylanders-like toys, the works. Then the higher ups realized that drastically redesigning their mascot, throwing the old designs out, and getting rid of 15 years worth of games was in fact, a terrible idea, so Boom became it's own universe. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

About the Sonic Boom episode, Eggman invited him to the villain party without having to pursuade Shadow or give him a reason to hate Sonic, Shadow was more then happy to randomly show up to a "Let's murder Sonic!" party. He just got irritated by the other villains because they were TOO INCOMPOTENT/ NICE/ INEFFECIANT to kill Sonic.
Besides that, the episode didn't bother giving Shadow much of a nackstory or motivation other then "he's popular character". So that still very much falls in line with his Rise of Lyric "He just hates Sonic because videogame/ Meta/ friends/ who cares" personality.

As for Shattered Crystals, he's a bit nicer there, sure, but it's still hard to tel if that's his natural behaviour. In that game, he's just too pissed off at Lyric for Mind controlling him that that consumes his actions. We don't know how he would have behaved toward Sonic if it wasn't for that.
So neither are much of an argument for Shadow's better treatment, other then that Sonic Boom is a spinoff and can do whatever the heck it wants. It just adds to the already general paranoia and lack of trust in Sega.

Lego DImensions is the one game this past decade that got Shadow right. Sure, it turned him into a ridiculous parody, but at least a recognisible parody based on proper Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 3

Maybe Sonic Boom Season 2 in a multi part episode it will show why Shadow is the way he is toward Sonic and his team. After all he is confirmed for Season 2.

I don't think lego got anyone right, though that is fine. I found it rather funny, its a lego game so I don't really care much about canonical interpretation the lego batman movie was on point though I also to give boom credit don't think shadow just wanted to kill sonic it seemed like he didn't know what was going on before he got there, and was just getting random invitations and was bothered enough to go, saw they were pathetic and left, and saw they were failing so badly that he decided to step in. Maybe i'm being too nice, but that's how I interpret the series of events, though I might be creating a more favorable version of shadow that is actually there in boom. Regardless we will see what they do with shadow in season two, which seems like they will just make him batman, I would have preferred  a DMC, kind of my parents are monsters kinda vibe, because there's ancient ruins they could actually add... intrigue and mystery to the brand and actually entice propel to invest in it. But its sonic boom so I expect least effort

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/10/sega-project-sonic-2017-will-introduce-a-new-character-and-a-new-gameplay-component/

Thinking about it, was it possible that Iizuka was referring to Infinite as the new character and not the custom character? I mean, looking at what he said, he never explicitly said anything about the new characters' alignment. And he also never specified whether or not the "new gameplay component" meant Sonic or someone else entirely. Not a big deal either way but food for thought. 

• Thumbs Up 1

That would be...well i'm not going to say that's interesting actually considering shadow and chaos are on the badguy side infinite being a custom character would mean very shitty things about characterization. But that is an idea. 

I doubt it though infinite seems to specific, the create a wrestler character is super generic. I mean I wouldn't argue if you said infnite looks rather run of the mill , but that's a more a character design failure if anything

Not sure if anyone caught this but there's some interesting details in the "Happy 26th Birthday, Sonic!" video SEGA posted:

There appears to be a code next to the infinite sign, as well as some "FY 18 Project Death Egg Sigma".

Circa 0:30