Awoo.

(Spoiler?) Sonic Mania's First Boss Fight Revealed on twitch.tv (check inside for footage)

Indigo Rush

nsvtC6D.gif

Now in great-smelling GIF format!

Anyway, looks great to the surprise of nobody. Man I love this game. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Eggman's reuses the sonic 2 final boss in green hill zone where sonic has all kinds of hill and slopes to jump off of making it easier to hit him unlike in the death egg. 

Are you sure this guy has an is iq 300?

I thought the boss looked awesome and a bit tough for a first boss. I just wish I could've heard the boss music better. 

I was hoping that Forces's GHZ would feature Eggman totally destroying it with a big robot, and here we have Sonic Mania's boss fight actually breaking through chunks of the level in a chase sequence. In Forces, the Egg Dragoon throws rocks at you.

love this game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Eggman himself is pretty expressive for the few seconds he's on-screen!  And I liked how they managed to make the boss so much easier despite giving it a new trick, and most of that is by altering the layout of the boss fight.  Clever recontextualisation of old material.

• Thumbs Up 2

I suppose at least it isn't ANOTHER Egg Dragoon boss (does SEGA mandate every developer to only reuse the same elements or something?).

Like the Forces Egg Dragoon, the premise is at least also more unique this time as well. It seems like Sonic can hit underneath the claws this time though.

Just a thought but that victory animation looks like it pushes Sonic to jump forward a little. What if you were right at the tip of that ledge when it activated? :P

• Thumbs Up 2

This boss has appeared just as much as Egg Dragoon in recent games. Not just Sonic Forces if we go with the comparisons :P

I do enjoy the look of this boss fight though. Makes it feel like a continuation of the Sonic 3K play style. ;) 

• Thumbs Up 1

Love it. Such a rad re-imaging to make it a walking boss which can now destroy bits of land and redesigning the targeting system which fires EGGMAN'S PENIS AT SONIC :P

I like how when it first lands it's belly flops down just like in Sonic 2 and you see Eggman chuckling before the fight starts. Even the tiny bit of animation where Eggman pulls-down the lid looks great. The Egg-Robot's face looks so nicely detailed with those blue goggle-eyes.

giphy.gif

I also like how Egg Robot starts to move more urgently when Sonic only has to hit it two more times.

giphy.gif

Also, a big thumbs up to Eggman's design. They've kept the traditional look.

It's a very simple boss, allows you to take your time and get comfortable with Sonic's movement. Time your jump correctly and you can land on the extended penis arm and get some good hits in. Use the drop-dash to quickly get out of harms and way and use the terrain (when there's a slope) to get in a quick hit with the spin-dash. I wonder if you can drop-dash on the extended arm?

Bringing back Sonic 2's final boss is an inspired choice because it's probably the most iconic-most recognised final boss in the classic series. This may be a much easier version but looks just as impressive-if not more so. 

I cannot wait to start playing Mania. Looks so bloody good!

This video (which I posted in the the status yesterday) feels so appropriate now, ha ha!

• Thumbs Up 6

It's going to take me some time with the boss to get used to how it only takes 8 hits to kill instead of 12 this time.

I can't wait to see if knuckles gets a harder version of this fight!

Assuming his jump is shorter like in the old games, I think that'll be a fantastic adjustment in and of itself to make this boss innately harder.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've always liked the challenge knuckles bosses provided.

Wow, from what I've heard of the boss theme it kinda sounds like a dark reprise version of the invincibility theme.:o

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh boy, that was just perfect. All that little stuff they've put in Mania make me love it more and more every time I see it. Great, great job on all the animations, character expressions and stuff. August is too far away. ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

A scrolling boss where Sonic is getting chased for once, looks cold. They brought back his extending arms from Generations, I guess there was something neat to take away from that boss.

Something that didn't really hit me until now despite this being the case since Generations(!) is that the Death Egg robot has the extending arms as opposed to the hands kinda just launching on their own. It's interesting that redesign is used here too, along with being able to land on the arms.

And yeah it's really clever how the boss is mostly easier simply because of the terrain. I kinda wish it still jumped into the air and crashed down every once in a while but I guess that'd be potentially very awkward in a scrolling boss?

Edit: Also I just noticed that the capsule at the end keeps floating down after Sonic opens it (tho' it stops at a certain point). IIRC in Sonic 3 they stayed at whatever height you left them at. It's a minor detail but I like this change, haha

• Thumbs Up 1

So, I love how they're using this boss again, Makes a cool little surprise for the first level. 

Having said that, I hope the rest of the Act 2 bosses aren't just reused bosses from other zones appearing in different places. I could see them reusing the Final Zone fight in some capacity or even other final bosses. I could even see them reusing the Angel Island boss in Chemical Plant, using it to set the chemicals on fire or something. Again, I love this boss, just hoping for new Robotnik bosses in future levels. 

• Thumbs Up 2

!!  I think this is one spoiler i am thankful to have checked and is an excellent reminder that of course the team did discern how to make boss confrontations that are both astonishing and memorable at first, that then also continue on to be engaging and fun experiences indefinitely!

Eggman certainly doesn't fly away or appear to have any way of doing so from what is left of the mech; that is an unusual detail!