Awoo.

Which obscure species would make a great character?

Mountaindewandsprite

First off, why did SEGA tend to use more obscure species as opposed to more well known animals?

Anyway, if they were to add another character, which species should it be? It has to be a lesser known animal. I'd say a pangolin. 

How about an Armadillo Lizard? I mean, they look pretty badass:

Armadillo lizard / Ouroborus cataphractus

Plus, check out what they do to defend themselves from predators:

d3e080631cb1208de060bdeb6925450f.jpg

It's like a Sonic character waiting to happen.

• Thumbs Up 4

14 minutes ago, Bowbowis said:

How about an Armadillo Lizard? I mean, they look pretty badass:

Armadillo lizard / Ouroborus cataphractus

Plus, check out what they do to defend themselves from predators:

d3e080631cb1208de060bdeb6925450f.jpg

It's like a Sonic character waiting to happen.

Wow, that's such a funny coincidence. I was just watching David Attenborough's "Life in Cold Blood" series and they showed that just a few minutes ago. Heh. 

I'm personally quite interested in obscure cute mammals, and out of these many, I guess civets would work as some sort of Blaze-like character.

On 6/12/2017 at 11:03 PM, Mountaindewandsprite said:

First off, why did SEGA tend to use more obscure species as opposed to more well known animals?

I'm not sure they did, actually.  According to what I've read--on Sonic Retro, I think--hedgehogs were obscure in America but not Japan, and the reason they chose a hedgehog is because curling into a ball and attacking with spines fit with their desire to make a game with jumping attacking the same move.  Echidnas probably were obscure just about everywhere that isn't Australia, but they probably made an echidna character because they wanted an animal kind of like a hedgehog but not quite.  Aside from those two, just about every species they've made into a character has been well-known, up until Storm the Albatross...and after him, as well.

As for my pick, while it's not obscure, I'd like an octopus character, because they've got so many awesome abilities: Color-changing, ink squirting, high-intelligence and ability to squeeze into any space so long as their beaks (the only hard part of their body) can fit through.  Also, in a relief to Sonic players everywhere, they can't drown!

• Thumbs Up 1