Awoo.

Metroid Prime 4 Announced for Nintendo Switch

Zippo

I went through a flurry of emotions watching the video once it popped up in my subscription. 

Prime 4 was the reason I was waiting on getting a Switch (bundles and all that good stuff). I'm really surprised they weren't working with Retro already. (though I'm aware they aren't the same studio now compared to when the trilogy was made) I do appreciate their honesty about the situation, instead of leaving fans hanging for the next 2 E3s or however long it takes to get some actual footage out...

Some wishful thinking: perhaps another handheld entry is being considered, or even made in the meantime?

On 1/26/2019 at 4:53 AM, Candescence said:

The implication to be garnered from all of this is that Nintendo attempted an international multi-studio approach to development,

They literally tried this before, and it resulted in Other M. I have no idea what kind of clusterfuck Prime 4 was gonna be, but I'm sure it was going to be a messy one that Nintendo felt the need to just scrap the whole thing entirely.

I am surprised that they're going back to Retro though, because by all accounts pretty much the vast majority of the Metroid Prime talent left at the end of the release of the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

My chief fear with it going back to Retro though, is that we'll ultimately get the same sort of issues that was manifesting in the series at the time, and that was generally that the franchise was becoming too safe. It's a bit of a precarious situation right now imo.

At least Nintendo is looking out for the IP. If pulling the game means avoiding another disaster like Other M - than so be it. Better to reload and start over than subject the high expectations of that fanbase to another poorly received game.

Not every franchise can churn out crap and still exist. Best to avoid that situation if possible. Especially if they are evoking the Prime title.

12 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

I am surprised that they're going back to Retro though, because by all accounts pretty much the vast majority of the Metroid Prime talent left at the end of the release of the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

My chief fear with it going back to Retro though, is that we'll ultimately get the same sort of issues that was manifesting in the series at the time, and that was generally that the franchise was becoming too safe. It's a bit of a precarious situation right now imo.

Word on the street (alluded to on the previous page) is that Retro actively pitched for it and made a demo which caught Nintendo's attention, so I would regard that as a good start.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 years later...

Big bump

Wasnt sure whether to put it here or in the general topic, but figured since this topic is likely gonna be getting more attention as news of MP4 comes out, may as well just revive this one. 

it sounds like the popularly guessed at/rumored Metroid Prime Trilogy Switch Port  ain’t happening 

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/metroid-prime-designer-doubts-switch-trilogy-ports-will-happen/

Hopefully that’s not set in stone, iirc it was said by officials that Skyward Sword would be incredibly difficult to port, and that it probably wasn’t happening. Still, if the team is too busy on 4, I’d rather they focus on that for now if they can’t split up the team to work on multiple projects.

It seems it's more that it could be done, but it would be hard work and not cheap.  Which means it's really a factor of whether Nintendo thinks it's worth the work, and I could see that it might be; Metroid Prime was a while ago now, so I can see how it might be advantageous to have the trilogy ported over to provide some context in terms of gameplay and story for what the sequel will be.  You could see it as testing the waters or at least preparing the ground, rebuilding the consumer base for MP4.  Given that Metroid V is probably happening, it might also be the case that Nintendo wants to give Metroid a big push, a go-big-or-go-home effort.

Well, ultimately, we don't know.  All any of us can really do is give our opinion on the viability or potential of the project.  The one thing I'd say for sure is that Nintendo can't scrap Prime 4 now (though probably they would have done if they hadn't already announced it before the failure of the first iteration).

The guy who gave his opinion on this hasn't worked at Retro in 10 years. I don't think he has any say in how feasible a port is. The team who is making 4 is not the same team who would work on a port either, so there is no need to worry about having to split them up.

The work is probably already done and they're just waiting until Prime 4 is closer to release to announce it.

32 minutes ago, Wraith said:

The guy who gave his opinion on this hasn't worked at Retro in 10 years. I don't think he has any say in how feasible a port is. The team who is making 4 is not the same team who would work on a port either, so there is no need to worry about having to split them up.

The work is probably already done and they're just waiting until Prime 4 is closer to release to announce it.

Why does that matter? The Metroid Prime series as a whole hasn't had any development/porting in over 12 years. So wouldn't someone from the OG Retro team know how his game would handle in terms of porting?

I'm not saying there isn't a way or that there isn't a more expert solution compared to 10 years ago by the way - but I would personally have thought he would have a pretty chief idea on the feasibility of it having worked on the original set of titles. Even then he didn't say it wasn't impossible - just lengthy. 

Ultimately the trouble is that we don't really know everything that happens behind closed doors or the processes that it takes to get these things running and off the ground (apart from the occasional developer insights/slips/leaks). It's also a shame he's getting a lot of hate/abuse online on social media since making the statement - because whilst a gamers perspective could be "this should be an obvious easy copy-paste job", ...rarely is anything ever that simple. 

My approach/take is that Skyward Sword is coming AND we had Sunshine/Galaxy ports on Switch... so a Prime HD Trilogy shouldn't seem out of the question. I also agree with you that it probably IS ready to go but will be used as more of a marketing strategy to remind/introduce players to the series before Prime 4 comes along and releases.  

A Trilogy port to Switch makes sense on Nintendo’s part though, I know Prime is a beloved series and all, but you also have to keep in mind that the only console it’s readily available on is the Wii U, and it’s been well over a decade since Prime 3. Prime Trilogy also is one of the rarer Wii titles out there, at least over here. If they could dedicate the work to get Skyward Sword and 3D All-Stars working, I genuinely can’t see them totally ruling out Prime Trilogy.

It’s arguably one of the few collections that would totally justify a re-release due to how long the Prime series has lay dormant, how hard it is to find on Wii, the lack of availability unless you have a Wii U, and how much it just makes sense as a marketing tool to both catch newcomers up to speed, and build hype for Prime 4. Hell, as someone who hasn’t played a Prime game before, I’d sure as hell snap the trilogy up in a heartbeat if it was ported to Switch.

I assume it’ll happen. If Zelda gets a collection this year, I think it’s just a waiting game at that point for Metroid Primes turn. A super rare, heavily requested port is just such easy money for Nintendo, especially when we start receiving more and more news about Prime 4. It’d be a great way to tide fans over and get newcomers caught up