Sign in to follow this  
Zippo

Metroid Prime 4 Announced for Nintendo Switch

I went through a flurry of emotions watching the video once it popped up in my subscription. 

Prime 4 was the reason I was waiting on getting a Switch (bundles and all that good stuff). I'm really surprised they weren't working with Retro already. (though I'm aware they aren't the same studio now compared to when the trilogy was made) I do appreciate their honesty about the situation, instead of leaving fans hanging for the next 2 E3s or however long it takes to get some actual footage out...

Some wishful thinking: perhaps another handheld entry is being considered, or even made in the meantime?

On 1/26/2019 at 4:53 AM, Candescence said:

The implication to be garnered from all of this is that Nintendo attempted an international multi-studio approach to development,

They literally tried this before, and it resulted in Other M. I have no idea what kind of clusterfuck Prime 4 was gonna be, but I'm sure it was going to be a messy one that Nintendo felt the need to just scrap the whole thing entirely.

I am surprised that they're going back to Retro though, because by all accounts pretty much the vast majority of the Metroid Prime talent left at the end of the release of the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

My chief fear with it going back to Retro though, is that we'll ultimately get the same sort of issues that was manifesting in the series at the time, and that was generally that the franchise was becoming too safe. It's a bit of a precarious situation right now imo.

At least Nintendo is looking out for the IP. If pulling the game means avoiding another disaster like Other M - than so be it. Better to reload and start over than subject the high expectations of that fanbase to another poorly received game.

Not every franchise can churn out crap and still exist. Best to avoid that situation if possible. Especially if they are evoking the Prime title.

12 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

I am surprised that they're going back to Retro though, because by all accounts pretty much the vast majority of the Metroid Prime talent left at the end of the release of the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

My chief fear with it going back to Retro though, is that we'll ultimately get the same sort of issues that was manifesting in the series at the time, and that was generally that the franchise was becoming too safe. It's a bit of a precarious situation right now imo.

Word on the street (alluded to on the previous page) is that Retro actively pitched for it and made a demo which caught Nintendo's attention, so I would regard that as a good start.