Awoo.

Sonic Forces E3 Trailer "The Next Generations" *Huge Spoilers in OP

Badnik Mechanic

Maybe I'm wrong since this is just an E3 build, but it looks like the lives system has been dropped? The full playthrough of modern Sonic's level has him collecting more than a hundred rings, but there's no fanfare or notification or anything like before.

Which I think is a good thing, mind you. The use of a life system in most modern platformers pretty much became redundant over a decade ago, so it's nice to see games like Forces and Super Mario Odyssey catch up on that front. Hell, depending on how Mania handles level-to-level progression, I'd say there's no real reason for it to be featured in that game either.

Spoiler

Also Forces continues to amuse (in a bad way), but I'll write a more detailed post regarding my thoughts on that mess later.

I really do prefer the idea of Classic Sonic being from another dimension. That might be one of the best "What the fuck are you saying Iizuka?" things that Iizuka has ever said, because it would actually make a lot of things less confusing for me.

And I could draw younger versions of Sonic and Tails without the fear of getting hounded by people who want them to be the Classic Versions.

I REFUSE! GREEN-EYED LITTLE SONIC FOREVER!

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Nepenthe said:

Apparently Classic Sonic is from another dimension. So who knows whether this game involves dimension-hopping, time-travel, or even both for maximum fuckery?

You don't say. Well you know what? Let's go full balls to the wall insane. Bring in Blaze and Eggman Nega along with the plot twist that Infinite is actually Mephiles.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Apparently Classic Sonic is from another dimension. So who knows whether this game involves dimension-hopping, time-travel, or even both for maximum fuckery?

Generations and Colors DS sorta established that Silver just fucks about in the past for no real reason, I'm guessing that's the case here because Silver could have gone back in time to the point before Eggman got his new power. I think.

I might be from the minority here, but I hope Eggman is not the final boss. It's okay to change it up every once in a while.

28 minutes ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

Lost World and Generations are all the evidence that I need.

That's what you say when you have no argument.

• Thumbs Up 8

I don't get how sonic's younger self being from another dimension a game later makes ANY sense at all. Feels like 2005-2006 again where things don't make sense

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

I might be from the minority here, but I hope Eggman is not the final boss. It's okay to change it up every once in a while.

Nah, I think that would be a serious cop out. Eggman finally took over the world for the first time in the games canon, so I would much rather prefer him to have a final battle with just him against Sonic in order to defend the empire he worked so hard to build. That and we already had a full decade of Eggman getting upstaged by MOTW from Sonic adventure to Unleashed so just let's have the good doctor be the final threat.

• Thumbs Up 5

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

I don't get how sonic's younger self being from another dimension a game later makes ANY sense at all. Feels like 2005-2006 again where things don't make sense

Actually if the recent interviews are anything to go by this makes sense lol

Does the final boss particularly matter? Neither scenario is all that unique or interesting, particularly since most bosses in Sonic- final status or otherwise- are kinda mediocre. It's either going to be Eggman, who has been the final boss the most times in series history, or it's gonna be Infinity/a monster, which is the series' second biggest boss trope.

The most interesting thing they could do is an environmental finale where you have to complete objectives to prevent disaster instead of fighting something. Like, End of the World except not terrible or something.

• Thumbs Up 6

There's something I was wondering. Classic is established as being in another dimension, along with his worlds and zones and characters and everything, right?

Well then how come in Generations, Modern Sonic and Tails responded and reacted to these worlds that they shouldn't have gone to if they're in another dimension? 

and for the record, this is all I can think about now with this explanation of classic:

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Soniman said:

Actually if the recent interviews are anything to go by this makes sense lol

how

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

There's something I was wondering. Classic is established as being in another dimension, along with his worlds and zones and characters and everything, right?

Well then how come in Generations, Modern Sonic and Tails responded and reacted to these worlds that they shouldn't have gone to if they're in another dimension? 

Because Sega is literally making it harder on themselves by just adding extra explanations where they aren't necessary.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Well then too bad, because I'm already upset :V

He doesn't have to want to conquer the world, he could just wanna fuck up Sonic. The world be damned. But you are right it wouldn't be any better because he too saved the world.

Could have probably made a new anthro then.

You know who would have made sense more than Shadow, who has a proper grudge against Sonic from the past and would have an interest in helping take over the world, for a price...Nack the Weasel...just sayin. Why they can't use existing characters when the situation fits is beyond me.

• Thumbs Up 9

Just now, Nepenthe said:

Because Sega is literally making it harder on themselves by just adding extra explanations where they aren't necessary.

Are we absolutely sure this isn't the Ocean version of DBZ?

Because this sounds like the Ocean dub of DBZ

1 minute ago, Nepenthe said:

Does the final boss particularly matter? Neither scenario is all that unique or interesting, particularly since most bosses in Sonic- final status or otherwise- are kinda mediocre. It's either going to be Eggman, who has been the final boss the most times in series history, or it's gonna be Infinity/a monster, which is the series' second biggest boss trope.

Well it's far from my top concern, but beating down Eggman, the series' eternal villain, to return order to the world after he's finally mostly succeeded in taking it over, sounds way more interesting to me than fighting some new guy who just showed up and probably doesn't have any meaningful relation to anything I care about.

• Thumbs Up 8

3 minutes ago, Tenko said:

You know who would have made sense more than Shadow, who has a proper grudge against Sonic from the past and would have an interest in helping take over the world, for a price...Nack the Weasel...just sayin. Why they can't use existing characters when the situation fits is beyond me.

Yeah, this actually would have been a good time to introduce him. Oh well.

6 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

and for the record, this is all I can think about now with this explanation of classic:

OMG, I'd forgotten all about this. "The other dimension" was the funniest shit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Diogenes said:

Well it's far from my top concern, but beating down Eggman, the series' eternal villain, to return order to the world after he's finally mostly succeeded in taking it over, sounds way more interesting to me than fighting some new guy who just showed up and probably doesn't have any meaningful relation to anything I care about.

We don't even know if he's succeeded of his own volition at this point. Infinity is not going to be completely divorced from this. Even then, there's so much fucking shit in this game's narrative- time travel, dimension-hopping, villains returning who honestly shouldn't fucking be here, the OC resistance, and all of that, that it's honestly now taking away from the fact that I need to take Eggman seriously now. Like, I can't be bothered to care at this point in time who the final boss is.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

So maybe now there's two classic Sonicii? 

And on the topic of Blaze and Nega, maybe Erazor and Merlina are in on it too. And the Babylon Rogues. And if we want to get crazy, Archie Sonic.

Maybe that isn't Shadow in the villains group...

what if it is...

latest?cb=20150715214738

Run.

• Thumbs Up 9

10 minutes ago, Josh said:

how

sonic's world and human world are diffrent dimensions, maybe thats what eggman meant :P