Awoo.

Sonic Forces E3 Trailer "The Next Generations" *Huge Spoilers in OP

Badnik Mechanic

1 minute ago, Rusty Spy said:

Because he was the bad guy in SA2.

Exactly. This literally is Generations 2 but with some apocalyptic plot threads thrown over it to make it seem different enough. But at the end of the day, it's empty nostalgia for the sake of pleasing people who don't give a damn beyond that. It's annoying as hell.

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, Captain Fun said:

I like Chaos, but why would he be evil again? 

It says on the GoNintendo page that Chaos even being there is a mystery, and that Shadow has his own reasons for fighting. 

It's pretty clear at this point that the writing team has put more thought into this than we're giving them credit for. 

• Thumbs Up 7

4 minutes ago, JezMM said:

My fear now?  They don't treat this with respect for the lore.  These guys are back "because".  There's no mention of Tikal or the Master Emerald, it's just "look it's Chaos!"  Same goes for Zavok and his survival of Lost World's events.  I am utterly keeping my hopes low regarding that sorta thing.  But man, HD Chaos 0 really does look so very nice.

They pretty much have a carte blanche on continuity. It can be handwaved, as it simply might have happened differently in the other dimensions. For all we know, these might be the incarnations of villians that actually beat Sonic in their respective worlds.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Fun said:

I like Chaos, but why would he be evil again? 

He was also like...dead.

I think I'm on team "he's from the past/another timeline" or something.

Just now, Soniman said:

were making assumptions that they degared Shadow to villian status despite plainly stating he has ulterior motives because?

Every fanbase has that kind of squadron sadly.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm honestly not sure whether to be filled with despair or excitement, hatred or love right now. I'm honestly not.

Because Forces is embracing all the chaos that is the often confused Sonic series, even down to the fandom (ideas that feel like they're taken from fan art and fan fiction), and I'm not sure whether that's awesome or terrible. I'm thinking probably both!

• Thumbs Up 3

Why does the new villain look like Guts' beast of darkness as a Sonic character?

Then again this is Sonic Forces...

Anyway, it's been too long since I gave a shit about Shadow or Chaos to really be angry that they're suddenly on the bad guy's side, and it's already more than I expected from the plot of this game in the first place. They know they can't do good, so they might as well do stupid. I hope whatever battles they bring are fun. Zavok is a weird recurrence since I thought he was actually dead, but whatever, it wasn't exactly clear what happened to them in Lost World anyway.

Gameplay-wise, still looking solid, but I don't know why you'd want the whip over the flames, since it seems slower while doing the same amount of damage.

2 minutes ago, Soniman said:

were making assumptions that they degared Shadow to villian status despite plainly stating he has ulterior motives because?

there is no good explanation for this man come on

• Thumbs Up 5

Looking at "Infinate" he looks to be made from the parts of the others.

Bits of Shadow, bits of Chaos, bits of Metal.

A experiment perhaps?

3 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Generations? So maybe he's playing the bad guys or something, but Sonic Team's recent track record with this stuff isn't great.

1 minute ago, Soniman said:

What ulterior motive could possibly justify Shadow fighting against Sonic in what is decidedly a clear-cut apocalyptic scenario when he has literally not done this since SA2?

What, is he gonna pull a Benedict Arnold at the very end? Wow, that's compelling.

I would honestly rather him and Chaos brainwashed by Infinite.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Josh said:

there is no good explanation for this man come on

I take it you know exactly what's going to happen, then?

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Brainwashing Shadow just annoys me. Like, we spent five years on a redemption arc for him where he very clearly expressed free will and a desire to do good. It's just putting him in an antagonistic role just because and, like, it's not really relevant to his character anymore? Hell, why not brainwash Tails at this point, like you almost did in Colors?

But fuck me; what do I know? At least we have a secondary villain that's probably the real cause of everything (bet you Eggman is brainwashed too. No way he's this competent). That's interesting.

When Eggman let it slip that this Classic Sonic was from another dimension it's very possible that so are all these guys. Besides all of this is probably going to get retconed at the end anyway.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Whatever the WhoCares said:

I take it you know exactly what's going to happen, then?

Give us a good reason for Shadow to do this.

Hey, Shadow is an actual enemy this time! I'm hoping he has an interesting reason for opposing the resistance instead of "sonic you my rival so i punh you in the face."

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Nepenthe said:

Give us a good reason for Shadow to do this.

Brainwashed, undercover, etc. Or a different dimension version of Shadow doppelganger perhaps. We'll see when we actually find out the reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, A Match in Oil Ocean Zone said:

He was also like...dead.

I think I'm on team "he's from the past/another timeline" or something.

Due to Tails apparently not being Sonic's ally at first, I assume that this made it so that Zavok and Chaos lived, and the latter and Shadow never went straight. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Soniman said:

I wonder why people are assuming that Sonic Team is doing something monumentally stupid and not taking some vague assurances as proof otherwise.

Perhaps it is because of the last two decades of this series being full of monumentally stupid things and vague assurances that end up being meaningless.

• Thumbs Up 8