Awoo.

Sonic Forces E3 Trailer "The Next Generations" *Huge Spoilers in OP

Badnik Mechanic

You know what would be cool? If whatever custom options you chose for your OC also affected what Infinite looks like. That might explain why he looks like a bat that stuck his head in a dumpster in the trailer.

Maybe Eggman tried to create his own artificial hedgie and Shadow doesn't want the guy to become an asshole like he did so he's trying to keep it from happening and fighting on Eggy's side.

That's obviously not the case because it's too smart apparently but fuck it'd be a cool reason, right?

11 minutes ago, Captain Fun said:

I like Chaos, but why would he be evil again? 

Because fuck continuity.

• Thumbs Up 3

This has the potential to be my favorite Sonic game ever made. If it plays the way it looks, and actually has a thought-out story, it almost certainly will be. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This new trailer has got me feeling all kinds of ways. On one hand it's cool to see Metal Sonic is getting in on the action, and I'm OVERJOYED to see that Chaos 0 is finally back. But ugh, Zavok. And why is Shadow with the bad guys (unless he's acting as a mole for the heroes)? And the new character looks cool I guess.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Soniman said:

if the only argument is just the usual "because sonic team sucks" generalization then I have nothing else to say, this why I dont try to debate anymore lol

I never thought I'd live to see the day when casual internet-goers are more optimistic about a Sonic game than actual Sonic fans. 

• Thumbs Up 8

So far this game is coming across like a terrible fanfic. It's like it has no idea what it wants to be or what it's trying to achieve as long as it has some attempt to please every corner of the fanbase. 

• Thumbs Up 5

7 minutes ago, Soniman said:

but.....they literaly gave one lol.

the reasoning could be bad or good but there are reasons

He didn't note any explanation. He specifically noted a good explanation.

6 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

That's Sonic Team's job.

So you can't think of a good explanation either.

And I, for one, am willing to give them a chance. 

..... Why? What have they done lately to earn your trust over the writing?

5 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Brainwashed, undercover, etc. Or a different dimension version of Shadow doppelganger perhaps. We'll see when we actually find out the reason.

I'm almost ruling brainwashing out because apparently he's "fighting for his own reasons," which suggests lucidity. Even so, that would be the best explanation, but it wouldn't be a particularly good one to me for reasons I stated earlier- Shadow's had a heroic alignment forever. We literally spent five years hashing that shit out. So for him to be a target for this kind of thing reeks moreso of just basic fan service of seeing Shadow constantly in an antagonistic role regardless of whether or not it makes much sense in the present day. Like, he doesn't belong there, and neither does Chaos in all honesty (really, how is this not Generations 2? It's nearly the same damn boss make-up as last time).

And if it's a different dimension I'm just gonna get annoyed. Where's the real, present-day/dimension Shadow? We arguably haven't seen him since before Generations!

They're going to have to pull off an Alex Hirsch-like narrative for me to give this shit the benefit of the doubt.

5 minutes ago, BlueParadox said:

I'm sorry but fuck the resistance

UPRISING IS WHERE WE AT

I have to admit this actually made me chuckle.

• Thumbs Up 7

Well...

I...

Hmm. Let me think.

Nope, only reason they're doing this is because ANNIVERSARY!!! The one that was last year. Whoops.

I'm not judging to be fair, I've never been particularly bothered about story in Sonic games. Hopefully gameplay is good, but we're still yet to see much of that.

I'll also echo the thought Infinite ends up being a colour swap of your own character.

Ah well, I'm probably gonna get it on discount next year either way.

4 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Ya know, part of me wants to play this out of morbid curiosity now.

They're literally embracing all of best and worst of the franchise. It's like watching a train wreck, but you wanna see how much of a wreck it becomes lol.

No doubt. It looks really fucking stupid, but I'm gonna play it anyway.

4 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Ya know, part of me wants to play this out of morbid curiosity now.

They're literally embracing all of best and worst of the franchise. It's like watching a train wreck, but you wanna see how much of a wreck it becomes lol.

I wager, for better or for worse, this might be them trying to tie things together and establish what's what with all these characters for the lore.

• Thumbs Up 1

You guys ever heard of the phrase "it's so bad it's good"

nah...it's infinitely bad

• Thumbs Up 6

Wait, so this is the "past enemies came back with time and dimension shenanigans" type story right? Wonder how Sonic Team chooses which enemy to bring back. It'll be cool if they actually brought back past bosses like Iblis. (of course they won't)

1 minute ago, Shaddy the guy said:

You know what would be cool? If whatever custom options you chose for your OC also affected what Infinite looks like. That might explain why he looks like a bat that stuck his head in a dumpster in the trailer.

Maybe Eggman tried to create his own artificial hedgie and Shadow doesn't want the guy to become an asshole like he did so he's trying to keep it from happening and fighting on Eggy's side.

That's obviously not the case because it's too smart apparently but fuck it'd be a cool reason, right?

Yeah, was gonna say that too. Official art always use the dog OC, and the badguy looks like a "edgy fanfic" version of him. Would be interesting if the antagonist's appearance changes depending on the customization.

This game is the train fire I cannot look away from

This makes me want to play this more than Mania for that reason alone

I gotta go deep into the rabbit hole myself

This morbid curiosity got to me

Thank God I got Switch Kirby to cleanse my soul afterwards

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, OcelotBot said:

You guys ever heard of the phrase "it's so bad it's good"

nah...it's infinitely bad

Beat ya on the draw there Ocelot.

30 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

SO the bad guy is Marvel vs Capcom Infinite! This all makes sense now!

I bet you that Shadow is just some mole and helps the gang from the inside, and of course Eggman can't do anything anymore without someone or something helping him. Like Jesus get the Emeralds and call it a day. 

Just when I thought Eggman did something all by himself.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, DiamondX said:

I think the idea is that they are bringing back the guys using a time machine.

But I'm most likely wrong.

My guess would be plucking them and their worlds from different timelines. At least that's what I got from the INFINITY CUBES

• Thumbs Up 5

I always knew Chaos would come back...that Generations Boss fight just showed all the signs. 

As for him being evil, obviously someone abused a Chao in front of him.

To everyone saying there's OMG NO POSSIBLE WAY Shadow could have a good reason for being evil, I dare you to think in terms of his character. To think like a writer. Shadow has always been more self-invested in Sonic, and even at his most heroic, he's always had a misanthropic streak. Couple this with the fact that we don't know all the details about the plot, and it becomes clear that there are multiple avenues for Shadow to have an antagonistic role. Hell, maybe he's a double-agent. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

I always knew Chaos would come back...that Generations Boss fight just showed all the signs. 

As for him being evil, obviously someone abused a Chao in front of him.

The bad guys captured Tikal!

Also, maybe Shadow really has betrayed us?