Awoo.

Sonic Forces E3 Trailer "The Next Generations" *Huge Spoilers in OP

Badnik Mechanic

Everyone is really overthinking this. It's their big anniversary title so they're doing the trope where all the past villains team up (in this case under a new villain). It sounds like a recipe for a fun time to me.

Yeah it's not like Eggman actually getting the W right from the get-go is a good enough narrative hook for a silly Sonic story.  Let's bring back all of the old villains (Metal Sonic is the only one who has actual business being there) and a new "exciting" villain who's more than likely orchestrating everything because fuck it.

Fuck this game.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, A Match in Oil Ocean Zone said:

Everyone is really overthinking this. It's their big anniversary title so they're doing the trope where all the past villains team up (in this case under a new villain). It sounds like a recipe for a fun time to me.

But Forces is being released outside of the 25th anniversary window

Mania was originally the anniversary title being released within the timeframecuntil that too got shuffled out 

And I bet you Eggman is captured too or something as well, and its not him controlling the robots. Smh...

31 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

WHAT OTHER REASONS COULD THERE BE FOR HIM TO "FIGHT" ESPECIALLY AGAINST SONIC?

THE FUCKING WORLD IS ABOUT TO END, YOU DUNCE.

GET IT TOGETHER.

WHAT IF Maria IS FUCKING BACK AND HE WANTS TO SAVE HER THIS TIME

• Thumbs Up 8

16 minutes ago, BlueParadox said:

I'm sorry but fuck the resistance

UPRISING IS WHERE WE AT

DCN32C4XcAAPW7c.thumb.jpg.bd6800760fd6a604d4ff0e479acb7c4c.jpg

Yeah let's do-oh, there's Shadow the proto-coldsteel.... Oh and getto Bowser Koopa. I'm going back to team resistance

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm surprised people are actually whining over this... I'm more hype because we may actually get a more taken seriously story for a Sonic game in a long time. Hasn't that been one of the complaints about Sonic as of recently?

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm going to guess the new bad guy convinced them to join him to stop Eggman. It makes sense--there's no way Chaos, Shadow, or Zavok would team up with Eggman of their own will, and it wouldn't be the first time Metal's gone rogue. So I don't think Shadow's gone "evil," per se, he's just not teaming up with Sonic, which I actually really like?

Now, the fact that he's teamed up with an obviously evil dude is hilarious in itself but uh...suspension of disbelief I guess.

• Thumbs Up 6

25 minutes ago, Terriful said:

DCN7zSfU0AAHjz1.thumb.jpg.8a834f291b6b7c81013ba269d0fb7bf6.jpg

THings to note: The red guy is green. Classic Sonic looks like he's about to trip on something. Modern Sonic actually looks kinda neat. Infinite looks... meh. New Wispon. That's all for now. Could this be the box art?

Nice art!

Too bad it's a complete lie about Eggman's competency and characterization in the game. He's the same joke as always behind the "real villain" basically as the art clearly shows. Looking bad but never really bad, just the fat guy waiting to get dumped by the "other guy" again.

I still wonder how they are going to competently explain how Chaos is back and why he's evil again along with Shadow plus explain how and why Zavok is there after one, the reception of Lost World, and secondly, supposedly finishing him off at the end of the game.

Dimension mess and mind control drama probably...

• Thumbs Up 6

You peps don't understand.... I love crazy villains with over the top designs so much~<3 Totally villain fan here. The New villain "Infinite" in Forces is so epic in design.... i must... draw... it.. Yes!

Also hoping Metal Sonic gets a crazy cool boss fight that's not just a simple race battle. I love Metal Sonic, he is so cool!

• Thumbs Up 4

9 minutes ago, Teoskaven said:

A common cliché is having a good character who was either a villain in the past or has questionable morality being on the new bad guys's side as a mole to spy its movements and taking the perfect moment to strike.
You know, kinda like what Rouge was doing for the governament in SA2, so they're not even new to this.

This is the only thing that sorta kinda makes sense, but it's pitting him directly against Sonic in a time of extreme duress. Like, a boss battle is going to be a waste of time.

Just now, Mega said:

Here's a thought.

Perhaps it's not that Shadow has turned baddy again so much as... this is Shadow pulled from SA2, when he was still fueled by vengeance.

Perhaps this is Chaos as pulled from SA1, before his rage was calmed.

Generations Twoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Just now, Whatever the WhoCares said:

To everyone saying there's OMG NO POSSIBLE WAY Shadow could have a good reason for being evil, I dare you to think in terms of his character. To think like a writer. Shadow has always been more self-invested in Sonic, and even at his most heroic, he's always had a misanthropic streak. Couple this with the fact that we don't know all the details about the plot, and it becomes clear that there are multiple avenues for Shadow to have an antagonistic role. Hell, maybe he's a double-agent. 

A good writer would've noted that "Hey, Shadow's decidedly ignored the whims of villains trying to court him several times over the course of his lifespan because he's developed into a guy who values both his agency and maintaining peace" and probably not have done this. His misanthropy also hasn't really been put to any callous action since SA2, and he was actually brainwashed back then. He's just a loner who nonetheless errs on the side that humanity is ultimately worth saving at the end of the day, even if it's just because it ensures his survival at the end of the day.

• Thumbs Up 8

2 minutes ago, SonicLegends said:

I'm surprised people are are actually whining over this... I'm more hype because we may actually get a more taken seriously story for a Sonic game in a long time.

I'm way more into this game than I should be. Mostly like how I was with Sonic Boom. I don't have a strong desire to play it, but I really need to see how this comes out.

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe Infinite promised Shadow to bring back Maria?

I dunno, this game is an awesome clusterf*ck.

• Thumbs Up 9

Just now, Nepenthe said:

This is the only thing that sorta kinda makes sense, but it's pitting him directly against Sonic in a time of extreme duress. Like, a boss battle is going to be a waste of time.

Generations Twoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

A good writer would've noted that "Hey, Shadow's decidedly ignored the whims of villains trying to court him several times over the course of his lifespan because he's developed into a guy who values both his agency and maintaining peace" and probably not have done this. His misanthropy also hasn't really been put to any callous action since SA2, and he was actually brainwashed back then. He's just a loner who nonetheless errs on the side that humanity is ultimately worth saving at the end of the day, even if it's just because it ensures his survival at the end of the day.

I think you just validated him "fighting for his own reasons." 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Joseph Mello said:

Maybe Infinite promised Shadow to bring back Maria?

I dunno, this game is an awesome clusterf*ck.

I thought the ending of ShtH was him moving on from that.

I think you just validated him "fighting for his own reasons." 

How?

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

To everyone saying there's OMG NO POSSIBLE WAY Shadow could have a good reason for being evil, I dare you to think in terms of his character. To think like a writer. Shadow has always been more self-invested in Sonic, and even at his most heroic, he's always had a misanthropic streak. Couple this with the fact that we don't know all the details about the plot, and it becomes clear that there are multiple avenues for Shadow to have an antagonistic role. Hell, maybe he's a double-agent. 

And if only there was a game or good characterisation which actually made that make any sense and you'd be absolutely right.

Alas there isn't any.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Nepenthe said:

How?

Because all we know at this point is that he is, at some point in the story, an antagonist. You brought up how he has self-serving ideals, and that seems to be exactly the angle they're taking with him here. 

Because all we know at this point is that he is, at some point in the story, an antagonist. You brought up how he has self-serving ideals, and that seems to be exactly the angle they're taking with him here. 

My argument is that his lack of overt altruism does not necessarily translate into a meaningfully antagonistic role towards Sonic due to the character development he's undergone in the games where Sonic Team decidedly gave more of a damn about him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, let me just point this out.

Who wants to put money down on a bet that SEGA is trying to rip off the whole A.D.A.M thing from the Archie series?

• Thumbs Up 4

Given the dimensions thing and appearance I reckon Infinite is Blaze. Pointy ears, claws, yellow eyes in her shape, a similar tail, big shoes and hair like Blaze's untied. 

• Thumbs Up 3

31 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

It's about as cool as a 2003 sprite comic.

This game needs to stop. It's awful.

...Alrighty then.

Anyways it's really cool how Chaos is back. He looks good in HD.

8 minutes ago, Crazizzle said:

I've been getting a Crisis on Infinite Earths/Zero Hour vibe from this since it was first announced, and that hasn't stopped. This really reminds me of a Comic Book story moreso than I've seen from the franchise before, so consider me intrigued. I also think the gameplay looks like an extension of Colors/Generations which I loved, so I'm down with it.

One thing that I wonder about: This Infinite character(on the surface) seems like the driving force for the "merging" of worlds and dimensions. Someone that powerful may have made Shadow and Chaos offers they couldn't refuse. What if Infinite can bring Maria back? What if Infinite can bring Tikal back and make it so his past never happened? I have no idea if Sega would go this route, but I'd enjoy it. It's a comic book cliche for a reason. Entice people to your side under (likely)false pretenses.

Or there's the possibility they come back an alt world where Sonic didn't exist. Without Sonic, Shadow and Chaos never reform and nobody stops Eggman, But that's more Wild Fan Guessing than the other scenario.

I'm sure the writing won't do the concept justice, but I'm not opposed to this.

That's interesting. With Zavok I guess Infinite will bring back the other five D6 members. Maybe he could be an expy of Dr. Faciller? 

(And maybe Archie's Sonic is in on this too, to bring back the old timeline).