Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Forces E3 Trailer "The Next Generations" *Huge Spoilers in OP

To everyone saying there's OMG NO POSSIBLE WAY Shadow could have a good reason for being evil, I dare you to think in terms of his character. To think like a writer. Shadow has always been more self-invested in Sonic, and even at his most heroic, he's always had a misanthropic streak. Couple this with the fact that we don't know all the details about the plot, and it becomes clear that there are multiple avenues for Shadow to have an antagonistic role. Hell, maybe he's a double-agent. 

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

I always knew Chaos would come back...that Generations Boss fight just showed all the signs. 

As for him being evil, obviously someone abused a Chao in front of him.

The bad guys captured Tikal!

Also, maybe Shadow really has betrayed us?

Yeah it's not like Eggman actually getting the W right from the get-go is a good enough narrative hook for a silly Sonic story.  Let's bring back all of the old villains (Metal Sonic is the only one who has actual business being there) and a new "exciting" villain who's more than likely orchestrating everything because fuck it.

Fuck this game.

2 minutes ago, A Match in Oil Ocean Zone said:

Everyone is really overthinking this. It's their big anniversary title so they're doing the trope where all the past villains team up (in this case under a new villain). It sounds like a recipe for a fun time to me.

But Forces is being released outside of the 25th anniversary window

Mania was originally the anniversary title being released within the timeframecuntil that too got shuffled out 

I'm going to guess the new bad guy convinced them to join him to stop Eggman. It makes sense--there's no way Chaos, Shadow, or Zavok would team up with Eggman of their own will, and it wouldn't be the first time Metal's gone rogue. So I don't think Shadow's gone "evil," per se, he's just not teaming up with Sonic, which I actually really like?

Now, the fact that he's teamed up with an obviously evil dude is hilarious in itself but uh...suspension of disbelief I guess.

25 minutes ago, Terriful said:

DCN7zSfU0AAHjz1.thumb.jpg.8a834f291b6b7c81013ba269d0fb7bf6.jpg

THings to note: The red guy is green. Classic Sonic looks like he's about to trip on something. Modern Sonic actually looks kinda neat. Infinite looks... meh. New Wispon. That's all for now. Could this be the box art?

Nice art!

Too bad it's a complete lie about Eggman's competency and characterization in the game. He's the same joke as always behind the "real villain" basically as the art clearly shows. Looking bad but never really bad, just the fat guy waiting to get dumped by the "other guy" again.

I still wonder how they are going to competently explain how Chaos is back and why he's evil again along with Shadow plus explain how and why Zavok is there after one, the reception of Lost World, and secondly, supposedly finishing him off at the end of the game.

Dimension mess and mind control drama probably...

You peps don't understand.... I love crazy villains with over the top designs so much~<3 Totally villain fan here. The New villain "Infinite" in Forces is so epic in design.... i must... draw... it.. Yes!

Also hoping Metal Sonic gets a crazy cool boss fight that's not just a simple race battle. I love Metal Sonic, he is so cool!

9 minutes ago, Teoskaven said:

A common cliché is having a good character who was either a villain in the past or has questionable morality being on the new bad guys's side as a mole to spy its movements and taking the perfect moment to strike.
You know, kinda like what Rouge was doing for the governament in SA2, so they're not even new to this.

This is the only thing that sorta kinda makes sense, but it's pitting him directly against Sonic in a time of extreme duress. Like, a boss battle is going to be a waste of time.

Just now, Mega said:

Here's a thought.

Perhaps it's not that Shadow has turned baddy again so much as... this is Shadow pulled from SA2, when he was still fueled by vengeance.

Perhaps this is Chaos as pulled from SA1, before his rage was calmed.

Generations Twoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Just now, Whatever the WhoCares said:

To everyone saying there's OMG NO POSSIBLE WAY Shadow could have a good reason for being evil, I dare you to think in terms of his character. To think like a writer. Shadow has always been more self-invested in Sonic, and even at his most heroic, he's always had a misanthropic streak. Couple this with the fact that we don't know all the details about the plot, and it becomes clear that there are multiple avenues for Shadow to have an antagonistic role. Hell, maybe he's a double-agent. 

A good writer would've noted that "Hey, Shadow's decidedly ignored the whims of villains trying to court him several times over the course of his lifespan because he's developed into a guy who values both his agency and maintaining peace" and probably not have done this. His misanthropy also hasn't really been put to any callous action since SA2, and he was actually brainwashed back then. He's just a loner who nonetheless errs on the side that humanity is ultimately worth saving at the end of the day, even if it's just because it ensures his survival at the end of the day.

2 minutes ago, SonicLegends said:

I'm surprised people are are actually whining over this... I'm more hype because we may actually get a more taken seriously story for a Sonic game in a long time.

I'm way more into this game than I should be. Mostly like how I was with Sonic Boom. I don't have a strong desire to play it, but I really need to see how this comes out.

Just now, Nepenthe said:

This is the only thing that sorta kinda makes sense, but it's pitting him directly against Sonic in a time of extreme duress. Like, a boss battle is going to be a waste of time.

Generations Twoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

A good writer would've noted that "Hey, Shadow's decidedly ignored the whims of villains trying to court him several times over the course of his lifespan because he's developed into a guy who values both his agency and maintaining peace" and probably not have done this. His misanthropy also hasn't really been put to any callous action since SA2, and he was actually brainwashed back then. He's just a loner who nonetheless errs on the side that humanity is ultimately worth saving at the end of the day, even if it's just because it ensures his survival at the end of the day.

I think you just validated him "fighting for his own reasons." 

Just now, Joseph Mello said:

Maybe Infinite promised Shadow to bring back Maria?

I dunno, this game is an awesome clusterf*ck.

I thought the ending of ShtH was him moving on from that.

I think you just validated him "fighting for his own reasons." 

How?

9 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

And if only there was a game or good characterisation which actually made that make any sense and you'd be absolutely right.

Alas there isn't any.

Because all we know at this point is that he is, at some point in the story, an antagonist. You brought up how he has self-serving ideals, and that seems to be exactly the angle they're taking with him here. 

My argument is that his lack of overt altruism does not necessarily translate into a meaningfully antagonistic role towards Sonic due to the character development he's undergone in the games where Sonic Team decidedly gave more of a damn about him.