Awoo.

Metroid: Samus Returns for 3DS Confirmed (September)

Zippo

I don't care what anyone says...AMR2 looks way better than this...

Oh well, its better than nothing. Maybe I'm just salty I don't have a 3DS lol

2 minutes ago, Mark1 said:

Possibly the main reason for the AM2R game getting the boot?

They should've told the poor guy why they wanted to shitcan his game ages ago.

• Thumbs Up 3

Man, I'm so happy. This and Metroid 5 have been my dream games since I've completed Fusion and Zero Mission respectively. I'm so happy. I really hope they don't fuck this up. Another Metroid 2 Remake was great.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks promising, and it's made by the guys who rebooted Castlevania, so they're kinda used to the formula (Mirror of Fate had a much more traditional Metroidvania 2D style).
Took Nintendo long enough, but finally they're remembering Metroid exist.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Patticus said:

They should've told the poor guy why they wanted to shitcan his game ages ago.

To be fair, most people didn't know of it till it was finished and released! I know I certainly didn't...

I am so hyped for this. Whether its good or not. The lack of Metroid has taken its toll!! And it'll be great to play while I save up for a Nintendo Switch to play Metroid Prime 4 :D

It was always true that AM2R infringed on Nintendo's ability to produce a profitable remake of Metroid II itself, and here we go, that's exactly what was happening.

I'm honestly really excited for this.  I couldn't get into the real Metroid II because of its lack of a map (I understand the sections wouldn't even fit together neatly if there was one), but I always thought it had a fantastic non-linear concept, and this could be great.  They're emphasising that it's colourful and making sure that the character models are all distinctive even on a small screen so that everything doesn't just fade into indistinguishable brown.  Even the new combat manoeuvres look purposeful.  My only qualms are that they might be too faithful to the original (i.e. no map), and... MercurySteam, ugh.  Well, maybe they can make something good if they're being very carefully supervised.

But otherwise, this is a day one purchase for me.  It may be a remake, but it's a positive sign that Nintendo wants to get back to what worked about Metroid.

AM2R and M2RS I can see cater to different crowds but I'm glad that we have not 1 but 2 stellar remakes to Metroid 2 now.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Mark1 said:

Possibly the main reason for the AM2R game getting the boot?

Based on the release date, possibly done as a response to AM2R's popularity as opposed to something Nintendo was already working on at the time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Info from Nintendo

A classic Metroid adventure returns, rebuilt from the ground up!

Brave the hostile terrain of an alien planet teeming with vicious life forms as legendary bounty hunter Samus Aran. Her mission? Terminate the Metroid menace in this masterful reimagining of her 1991 Game Boy™ adventure. Samus Aran’s arsenal has been enhanced with new moves and abilities that are sure to help her face the deadly surprises that await. This intense, side-scrolling action platformer is a great entry point into the Metroid franchise and perfect for returning fans as well, and it’s available only on the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.

Features: 

• This intense, side-scrolling action platformer has been completely remade with engaging and immersive 3D visuals and a rich, atmospheric color palette.
  • Classic Metroid II: Return of Samus gameplay is joined by a wealth of new content, including a set of brand new abilities that utilizes a mysterious energy resource called “Aeion,” a powerful melee counterattack, and 360-degree Free Aim Mode. 
  • There are plenty of secrets to find—and if you uncover enough of them, you may even start to unravel the mystery of Planet SR388’s past. 
  • Two new amiibo™ figures*—Samus Aran and Metroid—will be released as a set alongside the game. This game is also compatible with the Zero Suit Samus and Samus amiibo from the Super Smash Bros. series. Functionality details will be revealed at a later date. 
  • While supplies last, fans will be able to purchase a special edition of the game, which includes a physical copy of the game, a sound-selection CD featuring 25 tracks from across the Metroid franchise, and a reversible title-sheet insert for the game case

Screenshots

Spoiler

1497378067-3ds-metroidsr-e32017-scrn-025.png1497378060-3ds-metroidsr-e32017-scrn-036.png1497378057-3ds-metroidsr-e32017-scrn-041.png1497378059-3ds-metroidsr-e32017-scrn-051.png1497378069-3ds-metroidsr-e32017-scrn-083.png1497378075-3ds-metroidsr-e32017-scrn-098.png1497378073-3ds-metroidsr-e32017-scrn-108.png1497378080-3ds-metroidsr-e32017-scrn-0133.png1497378147-3ds-metroidsr-e32017-scrn-066.png1497378154-3ds-metroidsr-e32017-scrn-076.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's a more fleshed-out, in-depth look at the game and its features:

On 6/13/2017 at 3:22 PM, Tornado said:

Based on the release date, possibly done as a response to AM2R's popularity as opposed to something Nintendo was already working on at the time.

This has been in production for 2 years, and I believe Mercury Steam proposed a Metroid concept before that as well which wasn't greenlit, and probably evolved into this. This was definitely in development prior to AM2R's release.

• Thumbs Up 1

Now I actually feel kinda bad for getting on Nintendo's shit for DMCA'ing AM2R. Because the game DID get a pretty massive critical reception, and would've no doubt posed a threat to this game's existence. I just wish they handled it with far more tact, and didn't burn every single possible bridge doing so. Because I was really under the impression that Nintendo was just being dicks, AM2R posed no real threat to them, and I honestly was about ready to completely write them off for good. It was the final straw.

Now with this game being out soon... Nintendo's actions are a bit more justified. I still disagree with them, but they were justified nonetheless.

Something I like though is how completely unlike AM2R this game is so far. Like, in every regard. The difference in ethos is just so incredibly apparent.

AM2R was built off the successes of previous Metroid efforts... Most notably, Zero Mission, and as a result came out as an incredibly polished game. While AM2R didn't do anything necessarily groundbreaking for the series, it's almost impeccable on a technical front. Everything from the level design, control, the music, and even the narrative. It really is, in a lot of ways, the pinnacle of 2D Metroid in how it plays.

M:SR is a lot more experimental, and tries to tackle a whole bunch of new ideas such as temporary powerups that are tied to health, a parry system, free-aiming. And the end result looks incredibly clunky... And excitingly so. There's just something to a game that gambles on new ideas, even if those ideas aren't really all that refined. I really do like that about the game so far.

It's really cool too the consequences these design choices has. Something I noticed is just how claustrophobic M:SR looks in comparison to AM2R. A lot of this is due to screen crunch, but I think this also comes down to deliberate decision making. The world of SR388 in M:SR is a lot more hostile and desolate; enemies attack on sight it seems. Where in AM2R, and really any other Metroid, a lot of the creatures seem just content to exist in their own world. It gives a different meaning and feel to the games, and I think that's just fantastic.

I'm just excited for this game. I'm weighing my options right now between getting a 3DS right now, or waiting till the New 2DS XL comes out. I want the new Samus/Metroid Amiibo, they look absolutely amazing. And for once in what feels like forever, I'm actually excited for a Nintendo game.

2 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

I'm just excited for this game. I'm weighing my options right now between getting a 3DS right now, or waiting till the New 2DS XL comes out.

If you like your Metroid to be the best it can possibly be, I'd advise against that...

I gotta admit... I was a bit miffed that this game was coming to the 3DS as well. Once more, another game made by Nintendo coming out for the 3DS, and not the Switch. Even if it were just a resolution bump, I wouldn't mind it. No one would mind it. So as a Switch owner, all these decisions to make these games 3DS exclusive is really baffling...

But then I watched the downloadable trailer on my 3DS

Guys...

This is Metroid in 3D

I mean 2D, yes, but 3D, 3D... and it looks to look amazing, going by the trailer on my system. Much better in action than the trailer makes it appear.

But more importantly, it also adds something to 2D Metroid that I always felt was missing, and gives it a really unique aspect compared to the 3DS outings. Whereas with the Prime series, you're mostly traversing claustrophobic tunnels and caves, which has it's own, spelunking-ish appeal and mood to it all. But with this game, a 2D game, which typically doesn't have half the immersion factor in the past of the series, it uses the side view on Samus to its advantage, and as a result can showcase huuuge caverns from a breathtaking view, or a good look at the environment you're passing through, all accentuated by the 3D view of the 3DS.

vQoQ8Hl.gif

wzHSW1l.gif

It takes a formula that should be almost inherently less immersive than its follow-ups in its setting and gameplay, and turns it into a strength of spectacle for the world you're traversing, all at a set angle.

If there's got to be any game made for the 3DS nowadays, it's got to be this. If anyone has a 3DS and is concerned about the way the game looks or isn't quite sold on it yet, go download that trailer from the eShop ASAP

----

Also, I love the look of the free-form aiming and counter move. The 2D formula of Metroid was fun, but it was also getting pretty repetitive, as well. With these new additions, the gameplay should become a lot more aggressive and action-packed than before, and considering that this is a Metroid 2 remake, the fights with the Metroids should be... pretty interesting with these moves, to say the least...

• Thumbs Up 1

Woo I'm psyched! First official 2-D Metroid game since 2004 and coincidentally announced alongside a new entry in the Prime series... just like with Zero Mission and Prime 2!

And while I would have preferred to get an entirely new 2-D game set after Metroid Fusion (come on Nintendo, it's been 14 years lets see what happens to fugitive Samus please) Metroid 2 really needed modern update because that game has aged heavily.

Props to DoctorM64 for creating AM2R, it certainly helped fill the void after Other M and Federation Force failed to deliver, but a game in an official capacity is what this franchise really needed; sometimes it felt more like a fan game than an updated Metroid 2 like with that flying Torizo boss, and those aggravating Omega Metroids, but otherwise it was great.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

My greatest enemy strikes again:

Amiibo unlocks for this game:

The various amiibo do the following in Metroid: Samus Returns...

Samus Aran (Metroid Series)
Elon Reserve Tank (special ability recovery)
Metroid II Art Gallery (unlocked after beating game)

Metroid (Metroid Series)
Metroid Marker (tells you location of nearest Metroid)
FUSION Difficulty Mode (unlocked after beating game)

Samus Aran (Super Smash Bros. Series)
Missile Reserve Tank (missile recovery)
Concept Art Gallery (unlocked after beating game)

Zero Suit Samus (Super Smash Bros. Series)
Energy Reserve Tank (energy recovery)
Sound Test (unlocked after beating game)

https://gonintendo.com/stories/285920-metroid-samus-returns-japanese-website-open-amiibo-functional

Now, the translation isn't great, because from this you'd think "Unlocked after beating the game" means the amiibo are just a faster way of unlocking things, right? Nope, it means after beating the game that what gets unlocked if you used amiibo:

screenshot2017-07-24aglstg.png

To translate that picture: 

If you touch the Metroid amiibo: 

- During gameplay, you can use the Metroid Marker, alerting you of the location of the closest Metroid. 
- After beating the game, you can choose the new game mode "FUSION" when starting a new game, which includes the fusion suit and a higher difficulty. 

I don't see any room for doubt: they are locking a whole difficulty mode with the Fusion suit beyond an amiibo. I'm quite disgusted tbh.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=244335120&postcount=3112

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=244335351&postcount=3113

C'mon Nintendo, difficulty modes behind amiibo? Locking the Fusion Suite behind it?

asqSb8o.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Definitely a poor decision if accurate, though I'm reserving judgement for the present.  I could see it being that these options are usually unlocked while beating the game under certain requirements, i.e. percent completion or time taken, but the Amiibo just give them to you no matter how well you did.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, FFWF said:

Definitely a poor decision if accurate, though I'm reserving judgement for the present.  I could see it being that these options are usually unlocked while beating the game under certain requirements, i.e. percent completion or time taken, but the Amiibo just give them to you no matter how well you did.

They mention item names which implies that there are findable in-game items

Does anyone else here think there's a possibility that this was leaked, by way of the site updating too early, ahead of a Direct? It's rather odd, I checked Nintendo's social media all over for an official announcement, (Japan, Europe and USA) and nothing popped up anywhere. Giving away giant post game spoilers like the Fusion suit and Fusion in a website blurb, really? Nintendo usually announces functions of Amiibo in Directs (Star Fox, Kirby Planet Robobot, Splatoon 2, etc.), why would they just do that in such a low key fashion? We already have evidence to suggest a Direct is coming, could this also add to it? Maybe I'm crazy, but Nintendo would make a bigger deal out of this, right?

• Thumbs Up 3

On 7/24/2017 at 4:51 PM, Zippo said:

Does anyone else here think there's a possibility that this was leaked, by way of the site updating too early, ahead of a Direct? It's rather odd, I checked Nintendo's social media all over for an official announcement, (Japan, Europe and USA) and nothing popped up anywhere. Giving away giant post game spoilers like the Fusion suit and Fusion in a website blurb, really? Nintendo usually announces functions of Amiibo in Directs (Star Fox, Kirby Planet Robobot, Splatoon 2, etc.), why would they just do that in such a low key fashion? We already have evidence to suggest a Direct is coming, could this also add to it? Maybe I'm crazy, but Nintendo would make a bigger deal out of this, right?

Its possible, but probably not this week at this point. Odds are we're not getting a Direct until next week at the earliest.