Awoo.

Yoshi's Crafted World (Spring 2019)- Kamek's Infinity War

Forte-Metallix

Everyone's favorite omnivorous dino companion is back, and he's sticking to his tried-and-true Yarn aesthetics:

This seems to be a 2.5D-ish game, with Yoshi being able to switch perspectives at will. And co-op is back! Personally, I'm really stoked for this one, since Woolly World did the impossible and surpassed the original Yoshi's Island in my eyes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Woolly World was damn good, I'm always up for some more Yoshi, looks quite beautiful and adorable, even if not exactly Earth shattering. But that's okay, I welcome a few simple sidescrollers amongst the Odysseys and Breath of the Wilds.

• Thumbs Up 1

The art style looks incredible.  One of the (few) things I've admired about the recent Paper Mario games was how thoughtfully they've presented their real-material aesthetic, and this Yoshi game is only taking that further.  It's like he's running around on a real diorama.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've played New Island and now playing Poochy and Yoshi's woolly world.  I'll be honest in saying that I didn't want another Yoshi game and that I wanted a DK game instead. But after seeing the trailer I like it and can't wait. I wish the music would be different but that looks to be a staple of the series now. 2018 is looking to be a good year

9 hours ago, Tails spin said:

I wish the music would be different but that looks to be a staple of the series now.

Yes, they do seem to have decided at some point that all Yoshi games had to be infant-themed, which is odd considering that they don't even have Baby Mario in them any more.  While this game looks great, I would also like to see a Yoshi's-Island-style that returns to the slightly less safe and soft-edged aesthetic of the original.  Not that that wasn't also bright, colourful, and exaggerated, but it seemed like a slightly more dangerous world seen through a child's eyes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Certainly looking a good game. And this is the starting game on Treehouse day 2 after Pokken Tournament.

Should be good to see what comes from it [unless there's a new announcement for another 3DS game to tide us over].

Eh... Yoshi games never really seem to deliver. Wooly World was a let down, and I didn't even bother trying New Island. This one certainly looks pretty, but I honestly don't enjoy the aesthetic. Just gonna casually watch from afar for more. 

14 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Wooly World was a let down

O_o

Honestly, not really sure what happened with your experience. I wasn't expecting anything special but I ended up absolutely LOVING Woolly World. And I love the look of this game, too.

• Thumbs Up 2

Seeing complaints about the graphics elsewhere, another gimmicky art style doesn't faze me tbh. In fact, I feel like every Yoshi game has done this to some extent. Yoshi's Island looked like it was drawn with crayons and Yoshi's Story was a bunch of papercrafts thrown together. I can't imagine what a "normal" Yoshi game would look like

but yeah seriously please Nintendo, just go back to Yoshi's Island SNES's style of music. Save for some tracks in Yoshi's Story, nothing else has held up as well as it has.

• Thumbs Up 1

After the fantastic Wooly World finally brought the Yoshi's Island series back to its glory days for the first time since the SNES era, I was hoping Good Feel was gonna make another.

Uh, Good Feel is the company behind this one, right?

On 6/15/2017 at 11:11 AM, PC the Hedgehog said:

After the fantastic Wooly World finally brought the Yoshi's Island series back to its glory days for the first time since the SNES era, I was hoping Good Feel was gonna make another.

Uh, Good Feel is the company behind this one, right?

Yes they are. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/13/2017 at 6:04 PM, Tails spin said:

I've played New Island and now playing Poochy and Yoshi's woolly world.  I'll be honest in saying that I didn't want another Yoshi game and that I wanted a DK game instead. But after seeing the trailer I like it and can't wait. I wish the music would be different but that looks to be a staple of the series now. 2018 is looking to be a good year

We'll get another DK game, I'm not worried. Hell, I think we could get both a DKC and a 3D DK. They just didn't want to announce DK before Metroid because of what happened LAST time. As much as I wanted to see DK, I'm so glad we won't get shit on anymore for "muh not Metroid". I definitely see the next DK getting announced before the end of the year (maybe even a 3D DK due to all the tie-ins from Super Mario Odyssey).

I loved Yoshi's Woolly World, and although this is TECHNICALLY still a sidescroller, it makes much better use out of 2.5D. There's multiple planes you can move between, enemies sit outside of the base path and you have to throw eggs forward or back to hit them, other collectables sit outside of the normal plane as well, and you can even flip the camera. I do not like that the only way to flip the camera mid-level is in co-op.

• Thumbs Up 1

After nearly fifteen flipping months of no new info, we finally have a new trailer, title, and release date:

As expected, this game continues Woolly World's charming aesthetics, whilst throwing in new twists like 2.5D gameplay and using eggs to open up or knock over dioramas. There's even a new time attack feature that has you play the course backwards! Plus, Poochy, his three pups, and multiple Yoshi colors are confirmed to return!

This game was supposed to be out this year, but given certain scandals surrounding the green dinosaur, I suppose setbacks were inevitable. Let's just hope nothing else unfurls between now and next Spring.

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe the graphics have improved greatly. And gameplay improved as well. Guess more time in the oven is helping it.

I'll keep a look out for this one

Really beautiful art direction. Gameplay looks like Yoshi, which I won't complain about, though I can see how it might feel a little stale for some tastes. But looks damn fine to me.

I'm kinda shocked to see complaints about Woolly World's music here.  The main theme used for the handful of typical overworld levels is definitely kinda naff, but there are some friggin' JAMS later on in the game.

(And for those willing to delve into tracks from secret courses):

Definitely hoping we get more meaty stuff like the above tracks and less of the babyish crap used for the face of the game.

But yeah, definitely interested in this.  I always prefered Yoshi's Story to Yoshi's Island so I'm really glad Woolly World felt more like a follow-up to the Story while still sharing plenty of good stuff with Island.  Both Yoshi's Island DS and Yoshi's New Island failed to live up to the original.

• Thumbs Up 1

Those are pretty good tracks - but you said it yourself:

26 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Definitely hoping we get more meaty stuff like the above tracks and less of the babyish crap used for the face of the game.

If Nintendo keeps on marketing these games with their more infantile pieces, people aren't unreasonable for assuming that those are going to define the soundtrack and mood.  You've changed my mind, but it's too little and too late.

Although I actually played the Wooly World 3DS demo and found it... pretty underwhelming; it's been a while, but I remember being bothered by fairly linear level design (granted, it was probably an early level) and an emphasis on unindicated invisible secrets, which turn me right off.  The art style in Wooly and Crafted Worlds looks amazing and I wish them the best of luck, but they aren't the kind of world I'm looking for.  I suppose I just want a new Yoshi's Island?  (And not Yoshi's New Island, either; that game couldn't even live up to Yoshi's Island DS.)

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

Although I actually played the Wooly World 3DS demo and found it... pretty underwhelming; it's been a while, but I remember being bothered by fairly linear level design (granted, it was probably an early level) and an emphasis on unindicated invisible secrets, which turn me right off.  The art style in Wooly and Crafted Worlds looks amazing and I wish them the best of luck, but they aren't the kind of world I'm looking for.  I suppose I just want a new Yoshi's Island?  (And not Yoshi's New Island, either; that game couldn't even live up to Yoshi's Island DS.)

Yeah, the demo was early levels.  The unindicated invisible secrets... if you found them, surely they weren't unindicated?  That is to say, I think that, sort of like hidden blocks in 2D Mario games or hidden coin formations in 3D Mario games, the more you play, the more you just get a "feel" for where hidden secrets are, like a weird intuitive untaught language about level design as you progress.

• Thumbs Up 2

My #1 wish for this game is a restock of the Yarn Poochy amiibo. I didn't snag it while I could and now it's STUPID expensive and I can only admire the adorability from afar. I WANT THE GOOD BOY.

3 hours ago, JezMM said:

Yeah, the demo was early levels.  The unindicated invisible secrets... if you found them, surely they weren't unindicated?  That is to say, I think that, sort of like hidden blocks in 2D Mario games or hidden coin formations in 3D Mario games, the more you play, the more you just get a "feel" for where hidden secrets are, like a weird intuitive untaught language about level design as you progress.

It's not that I disagree; I think you have a fair point.  But I have a fundamental disagreement with games which encourage you to go for 100%, when what that entails is looking at a walkthrough to discover that that last remaining 1% involved standing in some unmarked nook or cranny I had no business even noticing otherwise; the kind of game where exploring for secrets looks an awful lot like grinding in an RPG.  I came away from the demo with a sense that I would find the game annoying; and the aesthetic and progression weren't sufficiently appealing to me to offset that.  I'm sure it's a wonderful game otherwise.

26 minutes ago, FFWF said:

It's not that I disagree; I think you have a fair point.  But I have a fundamental disagreement with games which encourage you to go for 100%, when what that entails is looking at a walkthrough to discover that that last remaining 1% involved standing in some unmarked nook or cranny I had no business even noticing otherwise; the kind of game where exploring for secrets looks an awful lot like grinding in an RPG.  I came away from the demo with a sense that I would find the game annoying; and the aesthetic and progression weren't sufficiently appealing to me to offset that.  I'm sure it's a wonderful game otherwise.

I'm PRETTY sure I was able to 100% the game without a guide, but I can't remember exactly tbh.  I might have had to look up collectible locations in a few levels.  I do at least remember that 100%ing it was fun enough that I did so, because the unlockable stages were all really satisfying rewards.

Almost forgot to share the new screenshots and SUPER-cute artwork:

yoshis-crafted-world-nintendo-switch-20180914-800x445.jpg

yoshis-crafted-world-nintendo-switch-20180914-002-800x445.jpg

yoshis-crafted-world-nintendo-switch-20180914-005-800x445.jpg

yoshis-crafted-world-nintendo-switch-20180914-011-800x445.jpg

yoshis-crafted-world-nintendo-switch-20180914-009-800x445.jpg

yoshis-crafted-world-nintendo-switch-20180914-008-800x445.jpg

yoshis-crafted-world-nintendo-switch-20180914-012-800x445.jpg

(character art below, spoiler'd for size)

Spoiler

File:YoshiCraftedWorld - Yoshi.png

File:YoshiCraftedWorld - Yoshi2.png

File:YoshiCraftedWorld - FlutterYoshi.png

File:YoshiCraftedWorld - YoshiwithRedYoshi.png

File:YoshiCraftedWorld - YoshiwithPoochy.png

File:YoshiCraftedWorld - YoshiPoochyPups.png

I'm really liking the new piggyback mechanic for 2-player, and it's nice to see the Wings and Poochy Pups are returning for less-experienced players.

• Way Past Cool 1

• 1 month later...

In the midst of all the Smash hype, I completely forgot to post the new Treehouse footage of Yoshi's latest adventure:

• Fat Shy Guys return, but now eating one gives you six regular Eggs instead of one biggun. (Kinda morbid, when you think about it from his perspective)
  • Confirmed Worlds are Ninjarama, Cardstock Carnival, Pastel Pathway, and Haunted Maker Mansion
  • Collectibles in every level are 6 Flowers, 20 Hearts (Finish with full health, per the norm), 20 Red Coins, and finishing with a certain number of Gold Coins. Interestingly, completing one of the latter three objectives nabs you another Flower, so they seem to be the primary objective.
  • You can now get costumes for your dinosaur that actually enhance you, like a pastry outfit that tanks a few hits for you. (So I guess they're the Power Badges for this game)
  • After completing a level, you can play it backwards in a Time Attack, which also has you finding the three Poochy Pups along the way, just like Woolly World 3DS's Poochy Dash. Finishing within the set time earns you yet another Flower, as well as one for each Pup you bring to the goal.
  • amiibo functionality confirmed, though we don't know what it is yet.
  • The main menu lets you choose a Yoshi (Hopefully we get a lot of cool patterns again)
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Way Past Cool 1