Awoo.

Sonic Forces Impressions

Badnik Mechanic

I still think Chao Gardens should act like something along the lines Pokemon Go instead of being part of a mainline Sonic game anymore. Raising your Chao by locating different animals and capsules on the street, have hotspots dedicated to the various mini games like Karate/Racing.

And not have Sonic Team do it, let them use their resources on other games. 

To be more on topic - out of all the play styles shown I'm feeling the modern footage so far. OC's jumping and enemy placement in levels looks slightly off at times.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Meta77 said:

I see it keeping me busier than mania honestly which will probably have the entire game beaten within 2 hours of the first person to leak a early released copy online.

1) Mania is a digital-only title, so I don't see how it could be leaked early unless Sega themselves fucked up (e.g. Sonic 4 Episodes 1 & 2).

2) The same could pretty much be applied to every mainline Sonic game since 2010. I'm not seeing how Forces will be any different.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Clewis said:

1) Mania is a digital-only title, so I don't see how it could be leaked early unless Sega themselves fucked up (e.g. Sonic 4 Episodes 1 & 2).

2) The same could pretty much be applied to every mainline Sonic game since 2010. I'm not seeing how Forces will be any different.

forces will have three paths to connect a entire story. Mania so far is setting up just a basic story using different characters like the old games. With maybe slight variations.

and digital games have leaked before, usually through store early releases itself. Digital games going early is not a surprise.

11 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

How about this...

Add a Chao Garden...

Raise the Chao...

They help you in stages by following you ala Sonic Advance 2 the way Cheese aided Cream, attacking enemies around you and being able to do more based on how far they've been raised.

This would be a really good idea if enemies in this series hadn't been relegated to aggressive pieces of terrain for Sonic to blow through or homing attack across gaps with. There are a lot of ways to implement Chao back into this series, but with the main gameplay for Forces looking so... shallow, for lack of a better word, I dunno if it'd be possible. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Meta77 said:

forces will have three paths to connect a entire story. Mania so far is setting up just a basic story using different characters like the old games. With maybe slight variations.

I wasn't comparing Forces' potential content amount to Mania's. My point was that every mainline Sonic game since 2010 could have been beaten and leaked in their entirety in around two hours (if that isn't exactly what happened during/before release), and the same will probably apply to Forces, as everything that's been shown off for the game has it shaping up to likely be another title with Colors and Generations levels of content.

And a small side point: Forces having three character paths to complete doesn't necessarily mean it will be longer than past entries. It definitely should (especially after being in development for over three years), but remember that Sonic Generations featured both modern and classic Sonic as playable characters but didn't end up being any longer than Colors. I think it might have actually been shorter, honestly.

and digital games have leaked before, usually through store early releases itself. Digital games going early is not a surprise.

And I assume you have a convincing number of examples to demonstrate how the early leaking of digital titles isn't such a surprise nowadays? And I'm talking about leaks that occur a significant amount of time before the planned release, not like an hour or two before midnight. Because outside of Sega's Sonic 4 fuckups, I can really only think of maybe a couple examples.

I know it is somewhat common for games with physical releases to leak early (I myself managed to nab both Unleashed and Colors close to a week before their respective release dates), but purely digital titles? I don't think so.

You got me there. One of the main games I recall was paper Mario leaking. And we got around14 days so well see on mania

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Nuggets said:

This would be a really good idea if enemies in this series hadn't been relegated to aggressive pieces of terrain for Sonic to blow through or homing attack across gaps with. There are a lot of ways to implement Chao back into this series, but with the main gameplay for Forces looking so... shallow, for lack of a better word, I dunno if it'd be possible. 

That is where the Wispons come in. Or the special skill shop in Gens or stuff in Secret Rings, for other Sonic games?

I think my main point was the implementing a Chao Garden, online multiplayer, and a hub world would be significantly better than integrating other playstyles though ideally, I'd really just want the game to focus completely on Modern Sonic. You guys did bring some great points however that makes it very tricky.

Forces version of "World Adventure" must be the most epic thing ever in a Sonic. Hear that title screen.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even for a sonic-orchestral piece it souds rather heavy then stuff like world adventure and wonder world that's for sure

1 hour ago, Joseph Henry said:

Forces version of "World Adventure" must be the most epic thing ever in a Sonic. Hear that title screen.

*Sees 1:37-1:55*

Ah, so that's who the pointless boost pads are for.

6 hours ago, Cornelius Fudge said:

I think my main point was the implementing a Chao Garden, online multiplayer, and a hub world would be significantly better than integrating other playstyles though ideally, I'd really just want the game to focus completely on Modern Sonic. You guys did bring some great points however that makes it very tricky.

You mean the modern character or just the modern games?

When I say that is "epic" I don't mean "amazing". Is a tad generic, but we never heard this heavy orchestra in a Sonic game before.

But come on, we heard 7 seconds of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this has impression in it, so I guess it counts. 

http://www.revuemultimedia.fr/a-4879-gamescom-2017-sonic-forces--la-force-du-herisson.html 

Running the last part of it through Google translate gives you this: 

"Graphically, the game respects the spirit of the saga and displays a very beautiful and very colorful.

If we had to find a negative point to this Sonic Forces, it is probably the music that is ... special. Afterwards, we love or do not like, but for my part, I find myself in the second category.

Sonic Forces will delight both the nostalgic and those who are waiting for novelty. The mix of both works well and offers a colorful and super fun experience. We ask for more!"

On 02/08/2017 at 6:28 AM, Balding Spider said:

*Sees 1:37-1:55*

Ah, so that's who the pointless boost pads are for.

This saddens me greatly. How is this a complex and difficult thing to do.

On a positive note, it looks like Sonic reacts to slopes in an almost classic way. Jump before the edge and you gain height and go backwards. Shame there's so much other pointless bullshit that funnels you in the right direction.

3 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

TechAdvisor preview. Says game comes out November 7th. 

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/games/sonic-forces-preview-3663126/

Mostly positive, main comments to point out are based in the Tag Team section:

Tag Team
As mentioned above, Tag Team is a new game mode featured in Sonic Forces that was announced at Gamescom 2017. Tag Team is essentially what it says on the tin - Sonic and your hero character join up to take on particularly challenging levels together.
The interesting part? You control both characters at the same time, swapping between each character based on the skills necessary (don’t worry, the swap is automatic!).
As with the Hero Character mode, controlling two heroes at the same time brings something new to the game, and comes with its own challenges like the difference in jump distances between characters - we were stuck at one part of the game when our hero character couldn’t quite make the jump that Sonic could without a sufficient pace.
It can be a little frustrating at times, but it may be something that’s tweaked before the game comes out later this year

I find it odd how they say the swap is apparently automatic and yet there's sections that are easier with one than the other.

If anything I'd prefer swapping on input, uh...

• Thumbs Up 1

IGN impressions.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/08/24/gamescom-2017-teaming-up-in-sonic-forces 

"I still have a few concerns about Sonic Forces, as the levels themselves feel really short and we haven’t seen much of a challenge yet. All four level types shown so far have been surprisingly easy, which stands in stark contrast to the recently-released Sonic Mania, which is still fresh on my mind. Still, Sonic Team clearly understands that mixing up the gameplay is a good thing, and for now I can only hope that these simpler levels have been for demo purposes with the more challenging stuff to come in the final game."

At least someone found them easy, most players are having a hard time with the Green Hill stages.