Awoo.

Sonic Forces Impressions

Badnik Mechanic

It's relaxing seeing IGN being positive about a new 3D Sonic game and not tearing it to shreds.

My opinions so far are basically what IGN said. Looks good, mixing gameplay styles is a positive, but it deserves longer levels and some more challenge.

• Thumbs Up 1

In case you don't like IGN's mediocre video player.

I've got to say, I'm noticing a trend here. Youtube comments seem generally positive about the game, but whenever I check comments on the websites of IGN, gamespot, etc, the comments call it shit and/or rip it to shreds.

Huh.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, McGroose said:

I've got to say, I'm noticing a trend here. Youtube comments seem generally positive about the game, but whenever I check comments on the websites of IGN, gamespot, etc, the comments call it shit and/or rip it to shreds.

Commenters on youtube usually don't bitch about everything. Hell they made me more excited to buy mania

Spoiler

which made me more excited for forces.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just rewatched the IGN Tag Team video. A couple things I noticed:

First was that I just realized the animal specific power-ups/perks were in play (and have been, but I really only noticed it now for some reason). The two wolves and cat gameplay were interesting, and I'm looking forward to seeing the other animal perks in action hopefully soon.

Next was that I think they are definitely cutting these levels short for the demo. I'm not so sure about the Custom Hero Green Hill, but it looks like Sonic will have some sort of mini-boss/cutscene/checkpoint with Shadow in Park Avenue, and the Tag Team level clearly showed the Eggman logo on the goal checkpoint at the "end" of the level. Plus the level gives you 60 or so rings as you drop down into that corridor in the factory pyramid, which I can only imagine leads to a boss. It's possible though that these actually are the full levels and that we'll have to navigate through the stage select to actually progress to the  potential Shadow boss and Green Hill Pyramid boss. Time will tell I guess :P 

I played the game at Gamescom. It's seriously as bad as i feared.

Sonic's level was really...REALLY short, and the enemies are nothing but filler to fill up your boost meter.  Also, the game needs to stop ? with the 2D sections. Also, i don't like how there's dash pad after dash pad after dash pad. I barely felt in control. There were no real alternate pathways and Sonic felt like he was

Classic Sonic's level was actually okayish.

The avatar is going to leave a poor taste in peoples mouths though.

• Nice Smile 1

19 hours ago, Tomzilla98 said:

Next was that I think they are definitely cutting these levels short for the demo. I'm not so sure about the Custom Hero Green Hill, but it looks like Sonic will have some sort of mini-boss/cutscene/checkpoint with Shadow in Park Avenue, and the Tag Team level clearly showed the Eggman logo on the goal checkpoint at the "end" of the level. Plus the level gives you 60 or so rings as you drop down into that corridor in the factory pyramid, which I can only imagine leads to a boss. It's possible though that these actually are the full levels and that we'll have to navigate through the stage select to actually progress to the  potential Shadow boss and Green Hill Pyramid boss. Time will tell I guess :P 

Weren't there times where Modern Sonic games had that kind of level ending before? That being said, I do think there's something that comes immediately after City Heights and the tag team stage, though. 

The fact that Sega are releasing this close to Mario Odyssey is a bold move on their part, having it multiplatform is their main excuse for it to survive next to that game.

Mario is looking very promising to sell a hefty amount for Nintendo given its insanely popular and positive reaction since its reveal in January. I've preordered that game, and don't really intend to buy this at full RRP unless Sega are planning to sell Forces at a lower price to combat other games out in the market?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Mark1 said:

The fact that Sega are releasing this close to Mario Odyssey is a bold move on their part, having it multiplatform is their main excuse for it to survive next to that game.

Mario is looking very promising to sell a hefty amount for Nintendo given its insanely popular and positive reaction since its reveal in January. I've preordered that game, and don't really intend to buy this at full RRP unless Sega are planning to sell Forces at a lower price to combat other games out in the market?

There are rumors that it's going to be $40.

Multiplayer.it released their impressions. Obviously they compared it to Mania (meh), said it was good for speed and the variety in fresh new gameplays, particularly the avatar and tag team, said level design was limited and automated but it's only the early stages. So it has potential to be an awesome game.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

So far, from all the impressions, articles, trailers, screenshots, and gameplay I've seen, Sonic Forces seems like it will be a mediocre game at worst and a half-decent game at best.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/24/2017 at 6:21 PM, simtek34 said:

It's relaxing seeing IGN being positive about a new 3D Sonic game and not tearing it to shreds.

My opinions so far are basically what IGN said. Looks good, mixing gameplay styles is a positive, but it deserves longer levels and some more challenge.

Fair although as many stated its a tutorial level for each.

On 8/24/2017 at 6:35 PM, sonicdudeatdawn said:

Commenters on youtube usually don't bitch about everything. Hell they made me more excited to buy mania

Reveal hidden contents

which made me more excited for forces.

Agreed its more vocal minor as usual and still looking forward to it.

On 8/29/2017 at 9:57 AM, Operationgamer17 said:

There are rumors that it's going to be $40.

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/sonic-forces-bonus-edition/153008 39.99, which is fucking amazing.

I have a strong bias against the boost formula given the fact that my first Sonic game was SA2, so i've never been an inherent fan of it. Based on what we've seen so far though, as long as they don't overuse 2D for a 3D Sonic title i'll be more than fine with it.

17 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Old video AND off-topic.

Not an old video.

Somewhat off-topic.

Playing mod. Your score is a 4/10

Quote next time plz. K danke schoen.

• Chuckle 1

Stevivor - Sonic Forces Hands-on Preview: If it ain't broke, break it

Custom characters also have access to gadgets or weapons such as a flamethrower and an electric whip. This has a pretty major impact on how the game is played. Using weapons rather than spinning through enemies or using a homing attack on them slows down gameplay. That would be fine but this is a Sonic game — you want it to be fast.

Avatar mode is the closest to something new in Forces, but much like the rest of the game, it feels like it needs a lot more polish. It seems like a late edition to the game purely to have a point of difference from past titles. It could turn out to be the best thing about Forces but for now, it feels like it needs some work to make it feel like a real fit. [...]

Sonic Forces isn’t slated for release until the holiday season 2017 on Windows PC, Xbox One, PS4 and Switch, so there is still time (and room) for improvement. I wasn’t expecting much from a new 3D Sonic game and I can’t say I’m surprised to be so underwhelmed.

The Inner Circle Games Network - Preview: Sonic Forces

What’s perplexing to me is that I have a hard time believing any of these demo levels are the full affairs. All of them are too short to stand out on their own; this is especially true with Classic Sonic’s demo level, which is just a boss fight. You can’t sell me on a portion of the game with just a boss fight, guys! The other stages at least have a couple minutes of length to spare, but it still doesn’t feel like enough. For example, Modern Sonic’s stage is about as linear as Sonic’s levels in Sonic Adventure 2, meaning you’re going down glorified hallways that may have another small path every now and then. I have a good feeling the full version of the stage would feature a lot more, but I can’t tell because the demo wouldn’t ensure that it is whole. [...]

Lastly, I think it’s worth noting I played the Playstation 4 version of the demo. The graphics are absolutely gorgeous, and there’s so much detail in the environments Sonic and co. traverse on! The silky-smooth 60 FPS framerate is a pleasant touch as well. If only the Nintendo Switch version could harness that. I didn’t play the Switch demo, but…oof. From what I saw of it at PAX, it looked like it was struggling to be at the same framerate as Sonic Generations on consoles. I heard whispers that the framerate will be improved for the Switch release; all I can say is that I really hope it’s true.

So those are my impressions from the Sonic Forces demo. I am still optimistic for what’s to come, but the optimism isn’t without its concerns. Hopefully, Sonic Team knows what they’re doing.

Odd to hear that the Switch version of the game is still suffering from performance problems (the aforementioned preview that touched on this was posted six days ago). Given we're only two months away from the game's release, that can't be a good outlook.

• Thumbs Up 1

For info.

In just over a week, I will be playing this game.

I'll be posting my impressions shortly after, or you can follow me on twitter and join the adventures in real time!

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

You going to TGS?

Nope. Not TGS. Unfortunately. They have more cool stuff.

Going to EGX Expo.

• Thumbs Up 2