Awoo.

Sonic Forces Impressions

Badnik Mechanic

4 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Haven't you heard? Iizuka says that Classic Sonic is officially from another dimension now. If anythings going to be non-canon, it'd be Generations (which is fine by me considering the nothing that happened in it). 

Or better yet, you could just replace all the times they refer to Classic Sonic being from the past in Generations with him being from another dimension. It wouldn't take long to do considering, again, the large amount of nothing that happened.

It'd be a great way to get rid of that embarrassing "Enjoy your future, it's gonna be great" line too.

I thought Classic Sonic in Forces was supposed to be from Sonic Mania, hence the alternate dimension thing.

1 minute ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Haven't you heard? Iizuka says that Classic Sonic is officially from another dimension now. If anythings going to be non-canon, it'd be Generations (which is fine by me considering the nothing that happened in it). 

Or better yet, you could just replace all the times they refer to Classic Sonic being from the past in Generations with him being from another dimension. It wouldn't take long to do considering, again, the large amount of nothing that happened.

It'd be a great way to get rid of that embarrassing "Enjoy your future, it's gonna be great" line too.

Yeah... ouch to that line! 

I think had heard some rumblings about classic being from an alt dimension but I didn't think much of it.

So that's actually official now to separate the two Sonic's from each other instead of past and future... huh, that...sort of makes sense. I guess if we get more games in the style of Mania it's not really fair to call him classic/past sonic - even though I understand that. This makes me wonder how "Modern Sonic" will react when he first sees him now in this game though.

1 hour ago, Mad Convoy said:

I thought Classic Sonic in Forces was supposed to be from Sonic Mania, hence the alternate dimension thing.

Yeah. That's correct. 

Iizuka said in the livestream last night that "There might be a connection between Mania and Forces, hehehe" as if the Internet didn't already figure that out. 

Maybe news really does take forever to reach him.

1 minute ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Yeah. That's correct. 

Iizuka said in the livestream last night that "There might be a connection between Mania and Forces, hehehe" as if the Internet didn't already figure that out. 

Maybe news really does take forever to reach him.

Well to be fair, he lives in a different country and speaks a different language than most of us here.

1 hour ago, Son-icka said:

Yeah... ouch to that line! 

I think had heard some rumblings about classic being from an alt dimension but I didn't think much of it.

So that's actually official now to separate the two Sonic's from each other instead of past and future... huh, that...sort of makes sense. I guess if we get more games in the style of Mania it's not really fair to call him classic/past sonic - even though I understand that. This makes me wonder how "Modern Sonic" will react when he first sees him now in this game though.

I do vastly prefer Classic Sonic be from another dimension, yes. I wish it were something that they had said at the time when Generations was being made but there ain't much we can do about it now. 

As for Forces, I dunno. They tend to be a bit picky about when they want to acknowledge when stuff happened in the past. Even when they're directly trying to draw upon nostalgia. I'd probably expect a "Hey, it's you again" and not much else. Might not be a big deal to them since they don't seem to have a problem with Eggman flat out saying he's from another dimension when he was from the past in the other game.

Maybe Eggman smacks his forehead and goes "Oh shit. That wasn't a Time Eater at all. That thing was literally just tearing dimensions apart. No wonder undoing my past mistakes didn't work."

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Jango said:

I just want more Mania for the love of all that is good.

Off topic, but okay. *Shrug*

16 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Honestly at this point I've got higher expectations of the fans picking up the slack than Sonic Team getting their shit in order. Fan games, 3D ones especially, are probably not going to reach professional levels of polish any time soon, but hell, neither are Sonic Team's games in a lot of ways. But looking at attempts like Sonic GDK, Hedge Physics, Green Hill Paradise Act 2, and especially Utopia, I think we're starting to approach the point where there's more reason to look forward to fan games than to the official games.

But muh story and lore.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Honestly at this point I've got higher expectations of the fans picking up the slack than Sonic Team getting their shit in order. Fan games, 3D ones especially, are probably not going to reach professional levels of polish any time soon, but hell, neither are Sonic Team's games in a lot of ways. But looking at attempts like Sonic GDK, Hedge Physics, Green Hill Paradise Act 2, and especially Utopia, I think we're starting to approach the point where there's more reason to look forward to fan games than to the official games.

Even Sonic Robo Blast 2 is staring to figure out the whole slopes thing with the upcoming 2.2 update.

Unfortunately, there are still things about the Sonic series that I can only really rely upon the official 3D games to provide for me. I'm in a position where the stuff I like the most aren't things that people tend to care about replicating all that much in fan games.

Hopefully that new comic might provide some of that but... nothing's going to top a real interactive experience version of what I want.

• Thumbs Up 2

29 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Literally been saying this myself. 

5 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Maybe instead of complaining that my article is too long you should actually read what I wrote and then you'd understand why the game is not great instead of assuming 'it's just not what we wanted.'

I did read your article.  It's very informative but it tends to drag on.  I said all I see is "a wall of text with a lot of negativity" is that it's because that what it is.  A lot of it focused on the controls which you find not that great and that's fine.  I just think the article was a little bit too drawn out in places and could've been trimmed down.  That's my opinion. 

15 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

But muh story and lore.

I'd love story and lore in the Sonic series where appropriate again, but after Forces they need to fix the screwed up canon first. 

All I know so far is that I've seen plenty of persuasive and craftily written impressions either in favor or against Sonic Forces to tell that there is no general consensus on this game yet. For better or for worse, this is definitely a game still in the works regarding judgement.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

All I know so far is that I've seen plenty of persuasive and craftily written impressions either in favor or against Sonic Forces to tell that there is no general consensus on this game yet. For better or for worse, this is definitely a game still in the works regarding judgement.

The reception is going to be the same as any divisive Sonic game; half will swear it's the best thing ever, the other half will swear it's trash. 

Same shit, different game.

• Thumbs Up 7

2 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

The reception is going to be the same as any divisive Sonic game; half will swear it's the best thing ever, the other half will swear it's trash. 

Would be funny if the critics end up liking it better than some here are expecting due to gameplay similarities between Forces and the two better received titles of the boost era.

5 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

Would be funny if the critics end up liking it better than some here are expecting due to gameplay similarities between Forces and the two better received titles of the boost era.

It would be funny but Kuzu does have a point.  With the 3D games, you can always expect a mixed response.  Sonic Team has experimented a lot with their games over the years and not everyone finds them all that great.  The automation in Secret Rings was poorly implemented but the game has it's fans(I respect anyone that can beat Secret Rings and still has their hands in good shape to this day.  The number of times you have to shake the Wiimote during the final boss is ridiculous!).  Still, I hope Forces continues the upward mobility that Mania started.  Sonic's in a good place right now and I want it to continue with Forces and the comic in 2018. :)

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

That's what happened with Sonic 4. The critics liked it. The fans hated it. 

It wouldn't surprise me.

The difference here would be that I can see myself liking Forces more than not liking it despite all the problems I have if they get on my good side with the narrative. 

And so long as the music doesn't have an 8 second loop for a boss that was so ear-piercing and annoying that it made me quit.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

That's what happened with Sonic 4. The critics liked it. The fans hated it. 

It wouldn't surprise me.

The difference here would be that I can see myself liking Forces more than not liking it despite all the problems I have if they get on my good side with the narrative. 

And so long as the music doesn't have a 8 second loop for a boss that was so ear-piercing and annoying that it made me quit.

Say, did you like the carnival like boss theme they used in Episode I before the "pinch mode" music kicked in?  It was unique to say the least but do you think it fit as a normal boss theme?  

1 hour ago, SatAMhog said:

Say, did you like the carnival like boss theme they used in Episode I before the "pinch mode" music kicked in?  It was unique to say the least but do you think it fit as a normal boss theme?  

I didn't play Episode 1 but listening to the boss music now, I actually do like it a lot.

54 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

Very likely