Awoo.

Sonic Forces Impressions

Badnik Mechanic

Don't forget that they will also have a direct comparison to Sonic Mania when it comes to Classic Sonic and his gameplay. Considering his physics haven't been touched up since Generations, I don't think it will be positive.    

• Thumbs Up 2

Eh,  we'll see. The game has yet to even come out before seeing if the sentiment and consensus actually does turn out as negative or positive as some simply want it to be. 

Not to mention, going off of the balance of positivity and negativity from what's been said,  the game could go either way from this point. 

2 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Anybody else notice something new in that article?

Which article?

13 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Haven't you heard? Iizuka says that Classic Sonic is officially from another dimension now.

When and where did Iizuka (or any other Sega employee) say this?  Could you provide a source?

I get the feeling that Kishimoto wishes he was working at Nintendo making Mario games, but that wasn't available so he joined Sonic Team. That's why he insists on making his level design Marioesque with the blocky platforming.

22 minutes ago, FFWF said:

When and where did Iizuka (or any other Sega employee) say this?  Could you provide a source?

They've stated it multiple times now iirc. I think I heard it in one of the TGS streams this morning too. The one with Nakamura, Iizuka and Ohtani.

I think this is quite an important point and it would be very good to be able to indicate a clear and indisputable source.  The exact wording might clarify whether, for instance, it's just Sonic Mania which is another dimension, or all of Classic - which is a point people don't appear to agree on.  I am concerned by the fact that our only evidence here is Eggman's dialogue in the Classic Green Hill boss battle, and beyond that it's just hearsay with no clear source.

Hmmmmm I think I'm just going to:

a. continue ignoring anything and everything Iizuka and co. say about the continuity/timeline/world of the series
b. consider Eggman to be completely and totally mistaken when he says classic is from another dimension

• Thumbs Up 2

Actually, I'm wrong, they mentioned a correlation in the Otakumode stream between Mania and Forces, but they didn't specifically say that classic is from another dimension. 

1 hour ago, Sonikko said:

They've stated it multiple times now iirc. I think I heard it in one of the TGS streams this morning too. The one with Nakamura, Iizuka and Ohtani.

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

I think this is quite an important point and it would be very good to be able to indicate a clear and indisputable source.  The exact wording might clarify whether, for instance, it's just Sonic Mania which is another dimension, or all of Classic - which is a point people don't appear to agree on.  I am concerned by the fact that our only evidence here is Eggman's dialogue in the Classic Green Hill boss battle, and beyond that it's just hearsay with no clear source.

54 minutes ago, Sean said:

a. continue ignoring anything and everything Iizuka and co. say about the continuity/timeline/world of the series
b. consider Eggman to be completely and totally mistaken when he says classic is from another dimension

I really think the Classic Sonic that we see in Generations is the chronological prime dimension Sonic (ie, a younger version of our Modern Sonic), and the Classic Sonic in Forces is from an alternate dimension 

Spoiler

from Mania.

Like, I think it's just that simple.

51 minutes ago, doctorbenMD said:

I really think the Classic Sonic that we see in Generations is the chronological prime dimension Sonic (ie, a younger version of our Modern Sonic), and the Classic Sonic in Forces is from an alternate dimension 

Reveal hidden contents

from Mania.

Like, I think it's just that simple.

Except it isn't that simple because the Japanese Forces website says that Classic Sonic "helped the Sonic of this world previously". It's the same Classic Sonic. There's only one Classic Sonic between Forces, Mania, and Generations. Classic Sonic will never meet Classic Sonic because there's only ever been one Classic Sonic. Classic Sonic won't be confused when Modern characters recgonize him because he already knows them. Generations is canon. Classic Sonic is from an alternate dimension now. You can assume what ever slightly convuluted reason for it, but the reason is that it's a poorly executed retcon. Yes, this makes Generations even more nonsensical. Or Generations made an alternate timeline. Or or maybe there's TWO Modern Sonics instead and everything after Generations is another reality! Or or or this is all Eggman's dream...

Edited by Razule
  • Thumbs Up 4

44 minutes ago, Razule said:

Except it isn't that simple because the Japanese Forces website says that Classic Sonic "helped the Sonic of this world previously". It's the same Classic Sonic. There's only one Classic Sonic between Forces, Mania, and Generations. Classic Sonic will never meet Classic Sonic because there's only ever been one Classic Sonic. Classic Sonic won't be confused when Modern characters recgonize him because he already knows them. Generations is canon. Classic Sonic is from an alternate dimension now. You can assume what ever slightly convuluted reason for it, but the reason is that it's a poorly executed retcon. Yes, this makes Generations even more nonsensical. Or Generations made an alternate timeline. Or or maybe there's TWO Modern Sonics instead and everything after Generations is another reality! Or or or this is all Eggman's dream...

Maybe a split timeline, ala Rick and Morty?

• Thumbs Up 1

So, I was originally gonna post my thoughts on Sonic Forces after playing it at EGX on Saturday, but after reading @Mayor D's impressions, I don't think there's anything I can really say that hasn't already been covered in that article. The automation, Modern Sonic's unnatural jumps, changes to the Homing Attack, the uninteresting level design, the Avatar in general... I honestly agree with all of it! I suppose there is one thing I can mention, that wasn't in the article: If you fail the Double Boost, then the instrumental version of Fist Bump will play during that segment, not the vocal version. So if you're like me, and aren't a fan of the lyrics... well, there you go. 

Overall, this isn't a game I'll be picking up at launch, and while my brother (who played the game at EGX too) still wants to get this, even he was ultimately let down by this game. I'm still intrigued by the story, but that doesn't really give me any incentive to pick up the game, when I could just watch the cutscenes online.

• Chuckle 1

Zelda: Breath of the Wild did something similar, IIRC. The only demo was the Great Plateu and they didn't show that much else other than cutscenes in trailers until around a month before release

4 hours ago, Sean said:

For once I'm totally a fan of this re-write. I'm all for him being from another dimension. I'll happily ignore all of Generations instead.

Or Generations can still be paid attention to but I just replace all time references with dimensions in my head. Will gladly do so because screw time travel.

34 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

For once I'm totally a fan of this re-write. I'm all for him being from another dimension. I'll happily ignore all of Generations instead.

Or Generations can still be paid attention to but I just replace all time references with dimensions in my head. Will gladly do so because screw time travel.

Is there any real benefit at all to him being in another dimension aside from making things more confusing and nonsensical?

17 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Unfortunately, there are still things about the Sonic series that I can only really rely upon the official 3D games to provide for me. I'm in a position where the stuff I like the most aren't things that people tend to care about replicating all that much in fan games.

Hopefully that new comic might provide some of that but... nothing's going to top a real interactive experience version of what I want.

Are you talking about the lack of story telling in fan games? Because yeah it is a problem with fan games, doesn't help most fan devs are not artists or story writers and whenever a Sonic fan project does want to focus on story the fan devs at that point often suck at gameplay... and after that you have good handful of the community telling fan devs that story doesn't matter and should not be anything they should focus on.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Is there any real benefit at all to him being in another dimension aside from making things more confusing and nonsensical?

Heh. Having him be from another dimension makes things less confusing and less nonsensical. That's the benefit for me.

The only thing that suffers are the words used in Generations as far as I'm concerned, which is fine because that game barely had an impact on anything. Explaining it away as dimensional hopping is FAR easier than explaining away time travel. How the original events took place before Sonic Adventure don't need to be so dependant on them anymore.  If they don't plan to clarify what about Sonic's 1 through 3 happened exactly the same way then keeping a personal headcanon instead of being forced to grasp onto things that don't make sense sounds far more alluring. No more sloppily trying to tie things into one another. No more trying to figure out how Classic Sonic goes into Modern Sonic and what counts and what doesn't.

Plus, I can officially ignore Mighty. I know Iizuka pretty much rebooted the Chaotix in Heroes and ignored Knuckles' Chaotix but with people considering that a thing that happened in the past it always stuck. But I have a clear conscience now. No more of that.

If anything, the only real issue is the fact that it wasn't this way in Generations first. But again, I feel like the only thing that screws over is Generations, which I'm okay with. Maybe they'll explain it (doubt it) but if they don't, I can just assume everyone was mistaken about it being a Time Eater or whatever and move on. It'd be a lot harder to ignore or excuse if it was the other way around.

But hey, other people are free to be more confused by it being a dimensional thing I guess. I don't get why they would but it's fine.

• Thumbs Up 3