Awoo.

Sonic Forces Impressions

Badnik Mechanic

I found this on the vast world of Youtube today. Many of the points that he makes I can agree on. Excessive automation and linear level design are honestly the biggest flaws of this game (for the former, was also the biggest flaw of Mania IMO).

But, I don't agree with the "doom and gloom" attitude this guy has towards Forces, having played the demo, it isn't an irredeemable pile of turd like some people have made it out to be (calling '06 and Boom better than Forces is a bit of a stretch to say the least), but it won't be a masterpiece. When the reviews get out, I expect the game to be in between Lost World and Heroes in terms of critical reception. At the very least, from the demo I played, it's a "meh" game. Not terrible, but not a masterpiece either.

Yeah, Sonic Lost World is a good comparison. I wouldn’t be surprised if Sonic Forces gets a low 70 to mid 60 score on Metacritic. Even if the story ends up being the best thing about it, it’ll be let down by mediocre gameplay and level design. We shall see.

I know I’m going to be super bummed though if a Sonic game that I have been waiting for for FOUR years, that should’ve had more effort put into it than SLW, ends up with a similar score. 

• Thumbs Up 3

With the internet being a massive Mario Odessey spoiler landmine right now, I just realized, Sonic Forces is most certainly next. Copies are being manufactured as we speak, and stores may starting getting their copies in by this weekend, leaks should follow soon after that. Now all that's there is to wonder is what incompetent retailer will break street date first, and what horrifically bad streamer we're going to be stuck with this time. If the wild, wild ride of the Mania spoiler thread is anything to go by, the Forces thread is going to be insane. The meltdowns. Oh boy. I Can't wait.

• Chuckle 1

More positive impressions:

He said it looks like Generations but improved, controls work perfectly (homing attack in particular), he also played Mania, enjoyed the boss, said the game is fast and fun and he couldn't stop playing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

So since the game is now more spoiled than a newborn baby, what are your thoughts? NO SPOILERS

From what I've seen, it looks like a darker Sonic colours. Not what I was expecting but then again, I didn't completely spoil myself. I saw some nice things. Then saw some questionable things....(the inclusion of Classic Sonic). It looks good none the less. But it's not the Sonic game I was waiting for. Guess I'll just take the Gamestop Pre-order junk and continue waiting for ST to get their shit straight. While enjoying This, Unleashed and Genz. Maybe I'll pick up Mania in the meantime and see what the hype was about that.