Awoo.

Sonic Forces Impressions

Badnik Mechanic

I've just watched the Nintendo Life video and the guy just looked like he said whatever people wanted to hear about Forces. The game is bad, it's too automated and all that stuff we've been saying since the first reveal, BUT, he then goes on to say that Colours is the greatest 3D Sonic game and that even the 3D sections in that game were good.

I mean. Ok. You're not wrong for liking something, Colours in this occasion, but shitting on Forces and then saying Colours is the greatest 3D Sonic game ever is a bit contraddictory.

Colours is barely 3D, 80% of it is 2D and I'm not even going to go in detail on why I think it's not a bad game but a bad Sonic game for sure.

If modern Sonic peaked at Colours for you, then I don't see why you should hate Forces, since it's doing more of the same and of all the modern games Colours is the one that looks closest to Forces.

• Thumbs Up 7

9 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

I've just watched the Nintendo Life video and the guy just looked like he said whatever people wanted to hear about Forces. The game is bad, it's too automated and all that stuff we've been saying since the first reveal, BUT, he then goes on to say that Colours is the greatest 3D Sonic game and that even the 3D sections in that game were good.

I mean. Ok. You're not wrong for liking something, Colours in this occasion, but shitting on Forces and then saying Colours is the greatest 3D Sonic game ever is a bit contraddictory.

And this is pretty much my main problem with his preview. Like, the same problems he's listing for Forces in Modern gameplay department are also in Colours.

1 minute ago, Operationgamer17 said:

He did explain some of his views a bit more. 

I don't remember Tropical Resort act 1 having multiple paths.

Guys, guys, we were tricked. The real name isn't "Sonic Forces," it's:

Spoiler

"Sonic 2017"!!!

5Y3rs2s.jpg

All joking aside, I finally made up my opinions so far of this game.

I'll start out by saying that I actually do believe I'll like this game when it comes out based on all the info, but I can't say that I won't be disappointed somewhere.

Nothing so far has really "wowed" me. It's just been a mix of "ok" to "yeah, I think I'll like that." The only thing that has given me some sort of surprise is the OC gameplay style, but even then it's not something completely out of the ball park. 

I'll definitely agree that this game looks to be very safe so far; nothing really that will push the series forward much. 

Even saying "the music is great" has become sorta meaningless, at least to me.

Like I said, I'll probably end up enjoying the game, but coming from someone who had a lot of fun playing Black Knight, I'm not sure how others will feel.

All in all, it's a case of hope for the best, but expect the ok. 

I guess I can sort of understand a bit where that man in the article is coming from, even if I don't agree with it at all.

I'm not entirely sure why the talking animals is that big of a sticking point though. Is Sonic really the only video game franchise out there that's doing something like this? 

I suppose it's the most high profile one but we couldn't have gotten SO oversaturated with games that aren't just for kids that a talking crocodile bemoaning the fact that he's gotta deal with a bunch of Egg-Shaped death machines is really... THAT odd right? 

...Have we?

11 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Plus, I still get angry at remembering having to do well on Unwiished stages to get more medals, and that shit's tedious.

Well, Unleahsed Wii is a different beast. It tied story progression to stage mastery - having you go back and earn the higher ranks necessary to unlock the requisite numbers of medals to progress to the next area. In a situation like that, I could see the benefit to playing the ranking system on more of a curve. Having to replay stages you don't like in order to secure that A or S rank is no fun for anyone, and at worst can be seen as little more than padding.

Forces doesn't seem to fall into that. We haven't seen any sort of paywall tied to stage scores or ranks. So it baffles me why the scoring system seems to be so lenient. That player got rocked in that playthrough. He lost all his rings multiple times, including taking some hits on the back end of the stage. Since he spent some time experimenting and struggling, we know his time bonus shouldn't have been anything special. But lo and behold, the game basically gave him an A+ for his efforts. That basically tells me that if you manage to make it to the finish line without dieing then you get an A. Thats total bunk.

They set the bar too low.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I understand the premise of Alex Olney's opinion, I have to disagree with it since he also emphasized how Sonic Color's 3D sections were good as well relative to Forces when Colors falls victim to the same problems Forces is having such as overwhelming linearity in addition to obtrusive automation in its 3D sections. I would also disagree with the notion that Color's design isn't present in Forces because it very much is including more confined 3D sections of straight-up boosting and how the game's design is literally structured around the wisp capsules where even an absence of wisps tells us that they don't want us to boost which is evident when they design slower, 2D generic platforming around that ideology. Outside of the wisps, I don't really see how Modern Sonic is really any different though I do applaud Sonic Team for making Forces Sonic control somewhat faster and smoother in 2D sections from what I could see.

22 hours ago, Bobnik said:

I don't remember Tropical Resort act 1 having multiple paths.

Go back with the Drill and Laser Wisps unlocked.

Like, I'm not the biggest fan of Sonic Colors by any means, but I'm not going to pretend it didn't have any thought put into its level design.

• Thumbs Up 4

44 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

NintendoLife also put out this video preview, that's wound up incurring a heaping helping of... salt.

IKR? The guy even got what seems to be a death threat. 

12 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

For convenience's sake (and because @Tenko mentioned it in the other thread), I've collected the recent burst of impressions articles in one place.  

I guess European outlets are more disappointed by the game than Amercan outlets, which is a little bit weird. What's weirder is that what they consider as problems here, were also present in Colours and Generations, yet these are one of their favourite Sonic games. What's even WEIRDER is the comments on control aspect of Modern Sonic. Here they mostly say it's worse than Generations because of Sonic being more loose, yet in most American outlets (and from some youtubers that played the game) it's said that it's better for the exact same reason. 

I do like how they're not pulling out "Classic Sonic is the best part of the game" card tho, Classic being in Forces is still one of the main negatives I have for this game.

It is concerning that european outlets go for more negative previews, but impressions are not reviews and the game is still months in the making, so whatever. And eh, the game still looks fun to me.

36 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Like, I'm not the biggest fan of Sonic Colors by any means, but I'm not going to pretend it didn't have any thought put into its level design.

I'm not really a fan of stages locking different paths behind power-ups that are unlocked later in the game, but I guess you're right.

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe I'm crazy but did anything change between the E3 Demo and today? I just find it really strange were suddenly getting all these negative previews out of the blue when the initial  E3 impressions weren't nearly this bad.. 

For the record I'm not trying to call the legetimacy of these previews into question, I'm just confused where this is suddenly coming from 

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

Well, he still has a point because it's still very linear and simplistic in 3D.

11 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Maybe I'm crazy but did anything change between the E3 Demo and today? I just find it really strange were suddenly getting all these negative previews out of the blue when the initial  E3 impressions weren't nearly this bad.. 

For the record I'm not trying to call the legetimacy of these previews into question, I'm just confused where this is suddenly coming from 

Probably cause an embargo went up or something.

13 minutes ago, Soniman said:

I find that at E3 no one ever really posts any negative impressions of anything until a bit later, don't know why but its the trend I notice.

9 minutes ago, Cornelius Fudge said:

Well, he still has a point because it's still very linear and simplistic in 3D.

I was under the impression we were discussing the boost formula as a whole, not in it's 2D or 3D components separately.

16 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Those sites probably didn't have time to post their previews during E3.

22 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Dunno if it made that much of a difference, but by the sounds of things the most recent demo was on the Switch... the version that performs the worst outta the platforms they're releasing Forces on. It wouldn't have made a difference to the majority of their criticism, but 30FPS with drops certainly wouldn't have helped matters.

Just now, Ayliffe said:

Dunno if it made that much of a difference, but by the sounds of things the most recent demo was on the Switch... the version that performs the worst outta the platforms they're releasing Forces on. It wouldn't have made a difference to the majority of their criticism, but 30FPS with drops certainly wouldn't have helped matters.

Considering the complaints of the previews were related to how the core gameplay is designed witht he Switch's performance being the cherry on top, I doubt it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another negative preview, from AppTrigger: Sonic Forces escapes the city, not its past

It took me some time to put my finger on just what it was I didn’t like about Sonic Forces. I played two stages. The first was the opening city level we’ve seen in trailers, a familiar playstyle from prior 3D Sonic titles. The second was a 2D platforming level controlling one of the customizable characters, though I didn’t actually get to mess around with the customization features. But the conclusion I finally came to after playing Sonic Forces for a bit is this: neither really feels much like Sonic to me.

So, fears confirmed on this one: after fifteen minutes with Sonic Forces, I feel that it’s going to fall squarely in the category of average platformer. Normally for something like this, I’d say that fans would still fall head over heels for it just for the sake of its mascot, but I’m not sure that’s true for the Sonic community. Well, at least we get to make our own Sonic OCs, right?

I dunno why, but I'm actually a bit shocked a fair amount of the press seem to be on the same page as the fans who aren't sold on this product (myself included) for once.