Awoo.

Sonic Forces: Nintendo Switch Version Footage and Discussion

JezMM

10 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

I guess other people are able to play modern sonic games at 30 FPS, but not me. I cannot for the life of me play any Sonic games at 30 frames, it feels so sluggish and, well, slow.

A lot of these people are going to be in for a big shock.

It's like when we transitioned from DVD quality to Blu-Ray, or when people make the jump to 720p-1080p.

A lot of people don't notice the change, or if they do notice, a lot of the time it at appears really minor. But the more you're exposed to those higher technical specifications, it becomes much harder to go back. It's the same with frame rates, previously I could barely tell the difference, but from playing more games at 60fps I can now REALLY see the difference when I drop back to 30.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, I expected 30 fps but I'm still annoyed. But I was planning to get this on PS4 anway...

22 minutes ago, LephemStar said:

Dang, I really hope it gets some form of touch up down the line. The Switch version we saw might just be a quick port for E3, as they're probably not even done with the PS4 version. I'm guessing they would finish the primary version of the game before working so hard on porting it. I have the choice of PC. Switch, or PS4. On PC, I'd sacrifice portability (and maybe controls if I don't get a solution by the time the game comes out), On PS4 i'd have to sacrifice portability and the playing schedule due to that system being my father's, and on Switch (if this build doesn't change) I'd have to settle for 30fps and random N64 textures. As a person who likes to often stop and take in how beautiful a game is, those graphics are gonna be a real downer. I really hope I get a chance to grab both Switch and PC version

That's not really how development works for a title that's intended to be multiplatform. In fact, a lot of games that aren't multiplatform are still developed on a PC, and then adapted to run on the platforms of choice. It's not only easier in general, but also helps to get the most similar experiences across all platforms. 

21 hours ago, NastCF said:

jNrkVdh.jpg

PS4 version, for comparison.

Wow. Even that looks like ass right now. What's up? I'm not one to naively expect huge improvements between E3 and a release within the same year, but I definitely am expecting some texturing issues to be fixed up in the coming month. In fact, now that I think about it... I'm almost willing to be that what we're looking at is a bug, and that some of the low-quality assets aren't being overwritten by higher quality ones as Sonic approaches. 

14 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Pretty is a really really bad word to use when describing this game.

If it were literally just graphical fidelity then you might have a point. But because this game is a high speed game frame rate becomes a lot more important. The higher the frame rate, the better the game will both look as well as respond to your own inputs.

Yeah yeah, kinda why I threw it in quotations. Using the term lightly.

Just now, FantasticMrRobb said:

Shit video meme.

Look sunshine. Im not a fucking mind reader. Your post gave the impression it was just about the quality of visual aesthetics and not more deeper technical reasons which is why the FPS is an important factor in high speed games like Sonic and racers.

If you knew that was the case then just say it next time.

Had no idea that there would be, and honestly wasn't even expecting, a graphical downgrade for the Switch version. I guess I wasn't expecting Sega to take as much advantage of the PS4/One's power as I thought, and that the game would look pretty much the same across all platforms

I'm actually gonna be playing the PS4 version first, though. I don't have a system but I have a friend who is happy to let me borrow his, and I'd rather do that than invest in a Switch or PS4 in my current living situation.

Going by trailers, press kits and marketing materials, Nintendo themselves are heavily promoting Forces, which is smart, Nintendo systems usually are a strong market for Sonic. However, given that Odessey is launching in October, which is really odd for a Mario platformer, it makes me wonder if Nintendo and Sega agreed not to release their marquee platformers too close to one another. I mean, I'm sure Nintendo wants both Mario and Sonic thriving on their systems, but not necessarily competing with one another during the holiday shopping season. In some cases, a family/child can only pick one of the two, so presumably releasing Mario a month before Sonic means they both have some breathing room.