Awoo.

Sonic Mania Chemical Plant act1 & act2 New Gameplay

TheOcelot

Lol i was just about to post this.

Hmm, interesting to see. I do worry about the feel for this game when it constantly jumps between "this level i pretty much the zone you remember, now this act is something completely new. Now this act is what you have always known, now this is something new". I had thought it would be a progressive less and less recognizable setup as you go through the zones.

They keep mentioning that the ACT 2 is where things get real crazy, but i also feel like it will just make each ACT 1 kind of... not that exciting?

Whatever, the game will still rock :)

This is probably the most (only?) disappointing part of Mania so far. It's a lot tamer than even GHZ1. Act 2 looks great with it's bouncy gels and plethora of new gimmicks, but this is Chemical Plant from Sonic 2 without anything to really get excited over. Plus it was in Generations already. I'm let down by this particular stage choice.

• Thumbs Up 6

That's the first time we've heard the drowning theme in Mania. The change is a bit subtle, but they managed to make it sound even more menacing!

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Blue Blood said:

This is probably the most (only?) disappointing part of Mania so far. It's a lot tamer than even GHZ1. Act 2 looks great with it's bouncy gels and plethora of new gimmicks, but this is Chemical Plant from Sonic 2 without anything to really get excited over. Plus it was in Generations already. I'm let down by this particular stage choice.

I completely agree. I sure hope this user just accidentally went across the most boring path and that, just like Green Hill, there is some "underground" or just alternative pathway that looks unique that hasn't been seen yet.

• Thumbs Up 2

That purple water still gives me nightmares. Was expecting to see the miniboss but I should've known better lol. Looks fun to play though.

I'm not seeing new gimmicks or anything, but the layout is pretty significantly remixed, and I'm fine with that.

Also I spotted Tails' corpse bugging out and falling from the sky at super speed at the end of that part with the rising water and moving blocks.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I'm not seeing new gimmicks or anything, but the layout is pretty significantly remixed, and I'm fine with that.

Also I spotted Tails' corpse bugging out and falling from the sky at super speed at the end of that part with the rising water and moving blocks.

Lol I think that tail's falling corpse was in the original sonic 2 as well. They really are keeping it true to it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Huh.

You know, I wasn't happy at first when I heard they were using Chemical Plant again simply because I wanted something more creative and unexpected. And I feel like I should be unhappy that it's so much like the original.

BUT...in reality, this really, really works for me. I guess it's just because CPZ is my favorite zone in the series, but just seeing what's essentially the same level but with Mania's deliciously improved graphics and new stuff from Sonic 3 & Knuckles such as Tails carrying Sonic and elemental shields is in itself simply a fantastic treat. Simply the idea of "upgrading" something I already loved is actually really gelling for me. Add to that the fact that there are clearly changes to the layout and I'm totally on board, actually.

I'm actually feeling happier because of this than because of the Act 2 footage! I think because the Act 2 footage was so different that I wondered if what I absolutely loved about the original would be preserved or if it would just be all-different. Now, I clearly see that it has, and that actually makes me happy. Don't get me wrong, Act 2 looks like it had some totally awesome gimmicks, but it would actually make me sad if Mania's Chemical Plant was just an all-new zone with CPZ aesthetics, because I loved the original level for so much more than that. So this...well, it actually makes me happy!

Honestly, I think I'm beginning to "feel" the idea of the returning stages in general a lot more because of this. And it kinda almost feels wrong to be saying some of these things, but I don't care, it's how I'm feelin' right now.

• Thumbs Up 4

Has this been posted anywhere? It's looking quite good and I'm digging the remixed music.

Originally I wasn't that happy about Chemical Plant being picked to represent Sonic 2 but after seeing everything... Yeah, any upset feelings I've had feels like they were never there in the first place. Amazing.

• Thumbs Up 6

17 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Has this been posted anywhere? It's looking quite good and I'm digging the remixed music.

Originally I wasn't that happy about Chemical Plant being picked to represent Sonic 2 but after seeing everything... Yeah, any upset feelings I've had feels like they were never there in the first place. Amazing.

That level design is just fantastic.

Act 1 looks simpler compared to act 2, but it's not bad. Loved the act 2. The level design is, dare I say it, even better than the classics.

5 minutes ago, molul said:

Act 1 looks simpler compared to act 2, but it's not bad. Loved the act 2. The level design is, dare I say it, even better than the classics.

Dont say that until you played the whole thing. The classics are sacred amongst us veteran sonic fans. 

Act 2 looks amazing. Act 1 is pretty much sonic 2 chemical plant linked together. Same goes for ghz1 and even the Bits of flying battery we saw. I think we got a pattern here. But since i absolutely love the classics and play them pretty much every freaking week i dont really care about that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

For those keeping count, Star Light is probably out as a Sonic 1 stage choice, if not already for the fact that we already have three after-hours city stages in the game, but also for that "hit the four blocks from below to knock them down into a staircase" bit.

1 hour ago, Mysterion said:

Has this been posted anywhere? It's looking quite good and I'm digging the remixed music. Originally I wasn't that happy about Chemical Plant being picked to represent Sonic 2 but after seeing everything... Yeah, any upset feelings I've had feels like they were never there in the first place. Amazing.

Thanks for posting this @Mysterion Looks epic!

I've added the act2 footage to the OP and edited the title to include act2.

Good news. If you are playing alone with Sonic & Tails (AI), the Tails assist move is back! You can make Tails carry Sonic just like you could in the mobile remasters without the need for a second controller.

• Thumbs Up 5

I still think it would have been cool to see some level design taken from Hydrocity here, since the two zones are similar and Hydrocity I doubt is appearing in Mania so it would have been cool to have a part of act 1 or 2 (most likely act 1 since that's where the water is) was was directly lifted from Hydrocity like this for instance: 

Screenshot_1555.thumb.png.e7ce0bc50f11acd8b7dd0fbc0052847e.png

You run through the two loops and then hydroplane for a bit. It would have been a cool reference like how there's parts of Palmtree Panic in Green Hill act 1. It would have been a cool break from the following of the normal Chemical Plant layout in act 1 and more eagle-eyed players could go "wait, I've seen this before..." 

Besides that Chemical Plant is looking fucking rad. 

Looks sooooooooo good. That remix in act 2 is beyond incredible. August hurry the fuck up!

• Thumbs Up 1

Has Sonic always had 4 different running animations?

Also Sonic's sprite for sticking to the purple mack is cute, positive +.

A neat little touch that I'm sure has been pointed out: The team added little clouds to the skyline of the city in the background of Chemical Plant. Little details like that put a big grin on my face. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I was just watching where he gets to the dreaded water rising section and saw how far he fell down in the chasm and was just thinking "oh man, he's screwed!" 

Just barely made it out as the clock hit 0 

• Thumbs Up 1

That new Act 2 footage is also freakin' fantastic. This game is just unreal, man. The perfect fusion of much-beloved familiar ground and exciting innovation. I think I've gotten to the point where I don't mind the returning stages at all, if they're all going to be like this!

• Thumbs Up 2