Awoo.

Sonic Mania & Forces Interview(s)

ChikaBoing

Remember, Sonic's anniversary in Japan starts around 8 hours from now. Not saying any announcements will happen today or tomorrow (Although, Sonic Forces was first announced on that very day a year ago), but I'm sure they have at least one cool thing planned. Perhaps Oshima's Sonic Mania art is done? We'll see what happens. 

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2017/June/Interview-Sonic-Team-talks-Sonic-Forces-for-Nintendo-Switch-1238419.html

Shun Nakamura: Actually, it is not a sequel. Sonic Generations was an anniversary title, that’s the reason why we put all the past stages inside. Although some of the stages are from the classic games, like Green Hill Zone, Sonic Forces is a new title. 

So I'm guessing there's gonna be *some* old zones with twists like Green Sand Zones.

If it is the case then I'm not really mad at this as long as there is a good amount of new zones and as long as the stage twists are more significant than just sand lol. 

Also Modern Park avenue is actually called City Heights.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, MudHunter said:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2017/June/Interview-Sonic-Team-talks-Sonic-Forces-for-Nintendo-Switch-1238419.html

Shun Nakamura: Actually, it is not a sequel. Sonic Generations was an anniversary title, that’s the reason why we put all the past stages inside. Although some of the stages are from the classic games, like Green Hill Zone, Sonic Forces is a new title. 

Jvoknab.gif

They're trying SO hard after all the backlash. Makes me laugh in a way.

If it were a NEW title then Green Hill wouldn't be there in the first place, no Classic stages we've tread several times over would be.

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

If it were a NEW title then Green Hill wouldn't be there in the first place, no Classic stages we've tread several times over would be.

So I guess we're calling Mania, Generations 1.5 then with that outlook.

The evidence present though, really doesn't suggest it being what you think it is. At least by how you yourself seem to define a "new title".

52 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

They're trying SO hard after all the backlash. Makes me laugh in a way.

That viewpoint doesn't really make much sense. They're not even lying, let alone stretching the truth and they're being open about things'll go. Maybe if they were floundering and trying to go out on a technicality, you'd have a point, but not as the way it stands currently.

Come to think of it, Mania and Forces are quite similar in how they're doing things it seems. Mixing old levels with twists, along with new levels entirely. I wonder if maybe....

NUK: Sonic Forces isn’t the only Sonic the Hedgehog game on Nintendo Switch this year. You’re also preparing Sonic Mania for a summer release. What’s the thinking behind releasing two games?

TI: We actually started development of Sonic Forces first, and during development we decided to target current Sonic fans and also casual gamers. However, in the Sonic fan base there are also those who started playing Sonic during the Mega Drive era. So we wanted to create a Sonic game that can also appeal to those old-school Mega Drive players, and that’s the reason why we created Sonic Mania. But we suspect there may also be many fans who enjoy playing both games. So for 2017, our aim is to please the entire Sonic fan base.

Ah, now things are starting to make sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

Went ahead and spliced the Nintendo UK interview discussion into a more appropriate thread.

Shun Nakamura: Actually, it is not a sequel. Sonic Generations was an anniversary title, that's the reason why we put all the past stages inside. Although some of the stages are from the classic games, like Green Hill Zone, Sonic Forces is a new title. In the world where Sonic Forces takes place, Dr. Eggman has already taken over 99% of the world. So this is a story where Sonic and his friends fight back.

So, GH isn't the only returning classic stage. Iizuka-san are you sure it's not Generations 2 :P

2 minutes ago, OcelotBot said:

So, GH isn't the only returning classic stage. Iizuka-san are you sure it's not Generations 2 :P

Well, the fact that there are actual new levels suggests that, yes, it's not Generations 2. Though I suppose if one still wants to interpret it as Generations 2, then more power to them, I guess.

34 minutes ago, OcelotBot said:

I assume Chemical Plant Zone will appear, be somewhat integrated into GHZ in some fashion, based on that avatar stage in the E3 demo.

29 minutes ago, JovahexeonJunkoJoranvexeon said:

Well, the fact that there are actual new levels suggests that, yes, it's not Generations 2. Though I suppose if one still wants to interpret it as Generations 2, then more power to them, I guess.

I don't think interpreting it as "Generations 2" is wildly off the mark, new features or no. I'm sort of seeing it as a Gens re-do almost, but with returning stages having some context to the actual narrative and setting rather than just being there in a void.

10 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I don't think interpreting it as "Generations 2" is wildly off the mark, new features or no. I'm sort of seeing at a Gens re-do almost, but with returning stages having some context to the actual narrative and setting rather than just being there in a void.

Now see, that I don't mind. Granted, to moi it's more so the idea that they're establishing Sonic's world with some recurring areas and some new.

It's the foolhardy mentality that Iizuka somehow "lied" about it not being Generations 2 that comes off as a stretch to jab and job.

25 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I assume Chemical Plant Zone will appear, be somewhat integrated into GHZ in some fashion, based on that avatar stage in the E3 demo.

In the OC level (I think it was the GH stage) one of the characters talking to you (may have been Amy or Knuckles) says something like "leave the Chemical Plant to us".  Makes it sounds like CP is not a stage the OC visits (whether this also applies to Modern & Classic Sonic I can only guess). That's why I'm thinking CP is just mentioned as part of the story and is not a zone you play through in Forces.

If would be more interesting if they bring back different classic stages which weren't in Gens.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, OcelotBot said:

In the OC level (I think it was the GH stage) one of the characters talking to you (may have been Amy or Knuckles) says something like "leave the Chemical Plant to us".  Makes it sounds like CP is not a stage the OC visits (whether this also applies to Modern & Classic Sonic I can only guess). That's why I'm thinking CP is just mentioned as part of the story and is not a zone you play through in Forces.

If would more interesting if they bring back different classic stages which weren't in Gens.

I was thinking of all the machinery and stuff that was built into Green Hill and the mention of the Chemical Plant made it sound like it's directly a part of it. Come to think of it, Knuckles says the avatar is a diversion, so it makes sense the more experienced heroes would go and shut down the plant.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Chemical Plant Zone is a returning playable stage, however. It'd be incredibly redundant with both Gens and Mania, and I do agree it'd be nice to see new returning stages, but I'm almost expecting at least that zone to put in an appearance. That or they throw a curveball and it turns out the "Chemical Plant" is more like Oil Ocean or something.

There just has to be an oil ocean zone in forces. What better place to show off how badly eggman has taken over the world than an ocean that he polluted to do it.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, OcelotBot said:

geuss that explains silver refrencing chemical plant in the custom hero stage, if there were going to bring some classic stages back atleast bring some back that we didnt already see in generations, give me a 3D angel island zone for fucks sake.

Maybe reusing assets from Generations will allow them to make a longer game. I guess I would be okay with that. Maybe we could even get a new spin on stage from Unleashed other than Rooftop Run.

2 hours ago, JovahexeonJunkoJoranvexeon said:

It's not just Forces has returning stages, it's because of the big elephant in the room that is classic Sonic being brought back for this game again. The classic Sonic/modern Sonic teamup was Generations' biggest selling point; people have been calling this game Generations 2 the moment classic Sonic showed up in the very first teaser.

That and Iizuka has a laundry list of contradictory statements he's made in past interviews that prompt people not to take what he says seriously as it is. Like how Sonic 4's physics are "updated from the original to allow for ceiling running" that wasn't possible in the original games. (Except it totally was.) 

• Thumbs Up 4

4 hours ago, JovahexeonJunkoJoranvexeon said:

Now see, that I don't mind. Granted, to moi it's more so the idea that they're establishing Sonic's world with some recurring areas and some new.

It's the foolhardy mentality that Iizuka somehow "lied" about it not being Generations 2 that comes off as a stretch to jab and job.

Ok real talk if it's pretty much a Sonic Generations 2 that's fine. People liked that game and it did well so doing the formula with more original levels it's fine. All I'm saying is don't say it's a new experience but show everything that goes the opposite. That's all. Again it's not a bad thing that they want to capitalize on Generations success just be more upfront about it. Tis all.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Gabe said:

The classic Sonic/modern Sonic teamup was Generations' biggest selling point; people have been calling this game Generations 2 the moment classic Sonic showed up in the very first teaser.

I understand that assumptions of such have come out from that and I don't blame those people, But the fact that it was AFTER they showed that very clip that Iizuka stated it's not Generations 2 that leaves me to believe that there's more to it than that.

That said, while I won't fault people for the viewpoint, there still just isn't enough evidence to condemn it as Sonic Generations 2, objectively speaking.

5 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

People liked that game and it did well so doing the formula with more original levels it's fine.

Funny thing is, that's likely what they meant when they said it isn't Generations 2. That and this likely isn't a time travel geared story......and the fact that it's a different classic Sonic then the one from Generations, go figure.

NUK: Sonic Forces isn’t the only Sonic the Hedgehog game on Nintendo Switch this year. You’re also preparing Sonic Mania for a summer release. What’s the thinking behind releasing two games?

TI: We actually started development of Sonic Forces first, and during development we decided to target current Sonic fans and also casual gamers. However, in the Sonic fan base there are also those who started playing Sonic during the Mega Drive era. So we wanted to create a Sonic game that can also appeal to those old-school Mega Drive players, and that’s the reason why we created Sonic Mania. But we suspect there may also be many fans who enjoy playing both games. So for 2017, our aim is to please the entire Sonic fan base.

Stop treating Modern and Classic Sonic as completely separate entities would be a good start to this don't ya think :V

All this tells me is that they're (once again) trying to give everyone what they want, but not actually listening to anything specific. It would explain why everything about this game is schizophrenic.

• Thumbs Up 4

It's all surface level appeal. SEGA are treating Sonic like a collection of different products for totally different audiences. They're taking the wrong approach by enforcing segregation of the brand. 

• Thumbs Up 4

8 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

I...can't really blame Sonic Team for taking that approach.

This. Every time they tried to please everyone with one game they failed. So its the logical conclusion to split the games and try to please all their audiences. I think the split between modern and classic is one of their Best moves in recent years, if Not the Best.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, FReaK said:

This. Every time they tried to please everyone with one game they failed. So its the logical conclusion to split the games and try to please all their audiences. I think the split between modern and classic is one of their Best moves in recent years, if Not the Best.

I disagree with this on the sole fact that it wasn't needed. Why do we have to treat Modern and Classic as entirely separate entities? Yes, both styles of gameplay have different appeal to different audiences, but then why are we treating them as if they cannot co-exist at the same time. Why do they have to be from separate dimensions, or timelines or what have you? It's more confusing than appealing. 

And like Blue Blood said, all it does it is create more segregation in the series than there already is and hasn't actually led the series down any real path. It's like they have a dart board with "things the fans want" and just see what hits that they should focus on.

No other game series that I follow does this, because they know what they want. Sonic Team does not.

• Thumbs Up 6

46 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

I...can't really blame Sonic Team for taking that approach.

Seriously?  So instead of actually attempt to fix any of the more fundamental issues with the games (see the PR disaster that was S4 out the mixed reception to Forces), you think the best strategy is to continue to approach the franchise as though it's made up multiple divisions that cannot mix? I see absolutely no reason that the two are incompatible.

I like Mania because it's a good Sonic game. It also happens to be classic themed. I like Rush because it's a good Sonic game too.

I don't like Forces because it's a mess of a Sonic game. Heck, it's supposed to appeal to up to three totally different demographics (as far as SEGA sees it). So do they expect the Classic fans to only enjoy the 33% of the game with Classic Sonic and dislike the rest? And the same for the Modern and OC fans? It's a joke. 

• Thumbs Up 7

15 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I don't like Forces because it's a mess of a Sonic game. Heck, it's supposed to appeal to up to three totally different demographics (as far as SEGA sees it). So do they expect the Classic fans to only enjoy the 33% of the game with Classic Sonic and dislike the rest? And the same for the Modern and OC fans? It's a joke. 

What we really need is Sonic Generations 2, which Sonic Forces definitely is not. It'd be one of their Best moves in recent years, if Not the Best.