Awoo.

The Sonic Mania Soundtrack thread!

Ellipsis-Ultima

Since we have a music thread for Forces, I might as well make a thread for discussion about Sonic Mania's music! Tee Lopes is the one composing the soundtrack for this game.

I've listened to the tracks we've gotten so far and I have to admit, some of these are really good! Some of my personal favourites:

Studiopolis-

Studiopolis Act 1 is still my favourite track overall in this game. The music perfectly fits with the overall theme of the level, (city-hollywood style) and it's just fudging catchy every time! Can't stop bopping my head to the beat! 

Chemical Plant-

Chemical Plant Act 2 is a close second. They added police sirens and ambulance beeps. I haven't heard that shiz since Sonic Rush Adventure! This piece feels action packed absolutely crazy to a tee, and what really kills it the most is that high note in the end!

Flying Battery-

Flying Battery Act 1 is short, but it's really neat! The quick beats and mechanical like sounds are what make this track!

So, what's your thoughts about Mania's soundtrack? What's your favourite track (s) from the game? I'm looking forward to hearing more of this music, Tee Lopes does a dang good job on his work!

• Thumbs Up 5

All the songs that I've been able to listen to in Mania have all sounded truly fantastic. From the original pieces to the remixed pieces. Studiopolis Act 1 still remains my favorite song in Mania thus far, and while I'm not entirely sure it'll be topped since I feel as if I religiously listen to that song like crazy nowadays, I'm sure the rest of the music will be really good.

Really hoping Sonic Mania gets a proper physical soundtrack release, and even if it gets a vinyl release like Aaron Webber was asking the fans about back at SSXW, then that'll be even better! 

• Thumbs Up 8

Studiopolis act 1 was my favorite track so far, until Mirage Saloon was revealed, and it took the spot

There's something about this track that makes me absolutely adore it, i can't point exactly what it is, but it's there.

• Thumbs Up 6

I like it. I mean, I don't find anything thus far to be as iconic or amazing as anything Masato Nakamura, Howard Drossin, or the like composed for the original trilogy, but the music is definitely high quality. More Sonic CD-esque than "traditional". And that's okay.

I loved everything I've heard in this game thus far. The title theme is good, and the main menu theme I've had on repeat every now and then.

The original zones, Studiopolis and Mirage Saloon, are very catchy with their tunes. Green Hill and Flying Battery, from what we heard, are pretty much the themes we know of, with some non-Genesis instruments, but can't complain there since they still sound good. But oh man, Chemical Plant Act 2 is quite the quality piece. As most people have noted, this game's soundtrack sound very reminiscent of Sonic CD's soundtrack. Both this song and the level's design from what I've seen definitely give a "Chemical Plant meets Wacky Workbench" kind of vibe.

As for which is my favorite, it's kinda hard to narrow down. It was Studiopolis, but Chemical Plant pretty much contending for that spot atm.

I am hoping for a soundtrack release for this game and anticipate any future zone reveals and the game's release to hear what else this soundtrack has to offer.

• Thumbs Up 1

All of the existing music I've heard from this game has been super good so far. I would say Mania's soundtrack will be at least on par with the classics. It's difficult to pick a favorite from current tracks, but one that really stands out for me is the boss theme for Eggman. It sounds really intimidating and a good mix of Sonic CD JAP boss and Sonic 3 major boss theme.

I also find the Act 2 themes for Green Hill, Mirage Saloon and Chemical Plant very enjoyable and fresh-sounding as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

Tee lopes is doing an astounding job with this soundtrack! Each song I've heard has evoked some kind of feeling in me that I want to explain:

Green hill act 2: just sounds so magical and calm, feels like I'm going on a tropical island to party with all of the animals there.

Eggman boss theme: Sounds very mean and intimidating! Like eggman is back and is ready to crash the party!

Studiopolis: Sounds very new jack swingy. Feels like I'm getting ready for a night on the town. Can't wait to hear act 2.

Mirage saloon: Sounds very cool and fun but at the same time, has a very creepy and mystic feel to it. I guess it has something to do with those weird hardboiled heavy paintings.

Chemical plant act 2: Sounds so exciting and crazy! Reminds me of the way hydrocity act 2s theme felt.

Miniboss theme: Gotta admit, it doesn't sound that intimidating but It fits. Feels like a fight with a crazy clown posse.

Currently I'm in love with Eggman's Theme. I'm listening to it pretty much every day...we really need a clean rip of that.

I'm also really freakin' curious to what Studiopolis Act 2 may sound like. 2 months to go..

• Thumbs Up 2

Out of all the remixes so far, I think the one I'm most disappointed with (although it's certainly not bad) is the flying battery zone only because it was such a great tune in the original game and it somehow comes off sounding a bit weaker. By comparison I love the Chemical Plant Act 1 music because it basically just emphasizes the original spirit of the song. It doesn't add a whole lot but what it does add really helps make the song very engaging. 

By contrast I feel like FBZ adds virtually nothing to the original but the original was also so great it'd be hard to improve on. I'm assuming FBZ Act 2 will be more awesome 

GHZ 2 ain't cleanly ripped yet, but it's a strong contender for my favourite track so far. It's so goddamn NiGHTS. Like seriously, the style gives me all the Good NiGHTS Vibes, which is great given the whole Saturn aesthetic Mania's gunning for. The boss music is absolutely jammin' too. 

The game's soundtrack continues to impress overall though. Like, Chemical Plant 2 somehow takes the original and obliterates it. That good. Whew. 

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Tracker_TD said:

GHZ 2 ain't cleanly ripped yet, but it's a strong contender for my favourite track so far. It's so goddamn NiGHTS. Like seriously, the style gives me all the Good NiGHTS Vibes, which is great given the whole Saturn aesthetic Mania's gunning for. The boss music is absolutely jammin' too. 

The game's soundtrack continues to impress overall though. Like, Chemical Plant 2 somehow takes the original and obliterates it. That good. Whew. 

Quite possibly my favourite rendition of Green Hill so far. Agree with you on Chemical Plant. The OST is just so damn catchy.

With Mania getting a Vinyl OST release, Tee Lopes has uploaded a sample of Studiopolis on YouTube!

There's a couple of changes in terms of beats, the "lights, camera, action", and it has an ending! It's the final version and I still think it's good!

• Thumbs Up 4

• 3 weeks later...

Tee Lopes did a 16 bit remix of Mirage Saloon. But that's not the interesting part. The highest rated comment on the video asks if there will be an unlockable Genesis sound font, Tee Lopes doesn't answer the question, be marks the comment by "loving" it. Not sure if that's a hint or not, but I thought it was worth noting. 

• Thumbs Up 5

He also clearly states in the description that it was just for fun. 

Yeah, I wouldn't look into that idea of the Genesis style soundtrack too much, as neat as that would be. As far as I'm concerned though, the soundtrack is already amazing as it is.

It's a pretty awesome remix though.

5 hours ago, Zippo said:

Oh, he did? Oh well. Here's hoping something like that is added though. 

I think it is very possible that gradually over time, even the course of a few years, he may have decided to complete and release 16 bit versions of each of the new zone tracks, to complement this one.  :):)  

So, the official Sonic YouTube just uploaded Studiopolis Act 1.

It's the same new version that we've already heard. However, if you read the description:

Sonic Mania releases August 15th! Here's the first in a series of soundtrack releases for the game. (We know this one's been public for a while, but please look forward to what's coming up!)

I'm very much looking forward to getting more full versions of Mania songs to listen to! I wonder what we'll be getting next...

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm already looking forward to what's coming up on August 15th. Don't need any more to ruin the surprise and delights of that day :D

• Thumbs Up 3

Until next month what they could do is add all of the soundtrack that we heard so far on the channel. (Mirage Saloon, Chemical Plant, Boss theme) No need for more stages, (Maybe one from the panel) the clean music will keep people satsfied.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Joseph Mello said:

Until next month what they could do is add all of the soundtrack that we heard so far on the channel. (Mirage Saloon, Chemical Plant, Boss theme) No need for more stages, (Maybe one from the panel) the clean music will keep people satsfied.

Yeah, that would definitely be a good way of doing it without spoiling anything, but still giving us a little something while we wait for the launch. I would love to hear clean versions of the boss music, Chemical Plant Zone, and/or Flying Battery Zone without any sound effects. What I would really love though, would be to hear what Stardust Speedway sounds like. I mean, I know we'll find out soon enough, but that's what I personally would want them to put next most of all.

At least Mania remembers Eggman is supposed to be the villain corrupting the world and trying to off you. His music in THIS game is just so d@$n satisfying to me, it makes you actually want to fight him and take your time doing it just to listen to the track. It's intimidating yet quirky in a way that's not obnoxious, he's a comedic villain but he's no joke in the least.

Thank you Tee, you know how to characterize Eggman through music way better.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Joseph Mello said:

Give us clean versions of those and Stardust Speedway music, we don't need more since we're only a month away. I'll be jamming those allday until August 15th.

@Chris Knopps

Definitely! You said it. Tee absolutely nailed it with Eggman's theme. It sounds very threatening at some parts, it's so d@mn good!