Awoo.

Sonic Mania Nominated for Several E3 Awards

Sonictrainer

I don't think it will ever happen. Like Nepenthe said, rebuilding something that was perfected before is whole different ballpark than creating a good playable 3D engine

• Thumbs Up 1

To be fair, most franchises can't completely emulate their 2D adventures in a 3D plane.

2D Mario and Zelda are vastly different in design and intent than 3D Mario and Zelda.

Sonic's issues with 3D mostly stem from shoddy development and inconsistemsies between them. 

• Thumbs Up 3

The E3 aftermath of Mania making maniacs of the press continues...

"...a joyful surprise that made us reluctant to leave the Sega stand." The Guardian; Sonic Mania, Super Mario Odyssey, and Sea of Thieves: the 11 Best Games of E3.

"For once, it feels like the classic Sonic that many of us fell in love with decades ago is back and that's a great thing for fans and newcomers alike." Twinfinite; Twinfinite's Best E3 Games of 2017.

"The original Sonic the Hedgehog games on Sega Genesis were some of the finest creations in video games. Sonic Mania feels like people who have been talking about what would make a new Sonic game in the style of the originals great for 20 years, got together and made that game." SaucyGamer, Top 20 Best E3 2017 Games Ranked. (Mania is listed at #18).

"I still feel as excited by retro-throwback game Sonic Mania as I did when I wrote my eyes-bulging hands-on preview last week." Sam Machkovech for Ars Technia (UK), The 10 Best Games of E3 2017. Sam later named Mania as his personal Game of the Show.

"Sega has two Sonic games coming down the pipe, but Mania is the one carrying hype for all of the right reasons." PCMag, My Favorite E3 Moments.

On 6/16/2017 at 1:49 PM, JezMM said:

And remember SEGA didn't approach Taxman, he formally pitched them for the Sonic CD remake.

Unless I'm missing something here, I'm pretty sure Sega approached Taxman to officially release his Sonic CD remake, not the other way around. His 2009 video of his Retro Engine running the game was a demonstration/proof of concept of the engine's capabilities, rather than a specific pitch to Sega to take on it as a sanctioned release.

• Thumbs Up 9

I mentioned this yesterday but with all the positive press this game has been getting since it's announcement I think it's pretty much safe to say that the media doesn't blindly hate this franchise as most folks make it out to seem. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Sometimes I wonder how Sonic Team feels about Mania. Will they admit Mania deserves more hype? I mean, there's more work on Forces, but it's not the better game.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 months later...

Important bump!

IGN has posted its Best of 2017 Awards, and look who showed up in two categories:

Best Platformer:
- A Hat in Time
- Cuphead
- The End Is Nigh
- Hollow Knight
- Little Nightmares
- Rain World
- Slime-san
Sonic Mania
- Sundered
- Super Mario Odyssey

Best Original Music
- Cuphead
- Destiny 2
- Gravity Rush 2
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
- Nier Automata
- Night in the Woods
- Persona 5
Sonic Mania
- Super Mario Odyssey

The nominations have been recognized by the Sonic social media handles, who recommend fans to go out and vote for Mania in the People's Choice Award variant for those categories. Voting ends November 19th.

(I'd also like to make a request to the OP or mods to update / change the thread title, so this can become a general Sonic Mania awards / nomination thread.)

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/23/2017 at 8:58 PM, Dejimon11 said:

I mentioned this yesterday but with all the positive press this game has been getting since it's announcement I think it's pretty much safe to say that the media doesn't blindly hate this franchise as most folks make it out to seem. 

It's a little more complicated than that.

The media is completely schizophrenic of Sonic. 

You'll see them praising games like Sonic 4 then for some reason disliking Sonic 4:II(despite it being far better than the previous title), having Sonic 06 higher than World Adventure or talking about how Sonic is back after 15 years since Mania's arrival...Which mind you, was a statement reiterated by many not even a decade ago.  They just keep spouting the same shit over and over again while mixing it up every now and then. 

Worthless to pay attention to for consistent validation or approval. 

16 hours ago, Jar Jar Analysis 1138 said:

You'll see them praising games like Sonic 4 then for some reason disliking Sonic 4:II(despite it being far better than the previous title), having Sonic 06 higher than World Adventure or talking about how Sonic is back after 15 years since Mania's arrival...Which mind you, was a statement reiterated by many not even a decade ago.  They just keep spouting the same shit over and over again while mixing it up every now and then. 

There is a context and place to when these reviews are done. 2006 ranked better on Metacritic because, besides Shadow the Hedgehog, SEGA's goodwill with Sonic hadn't been completely burned off yet and it was more in the vein of the more popular Adventure games. In hindsight, the game isn't up to snuff. I remember one review actually rated it fairly high because they expected a patch to fix certain issues the game had (IIRC that either wasn't delivered or the patch did jackshit--I haven't played '06 so I don't know its history as well).

When Unleashed came out, we saw a Sonic Team that was focused on making a better, not rushed product but it was also a Sonic game with a random, unnecessary gimmick that took up half the game and that hurt its standing, even if technically it's not the broken mess some of its predecessors are.

Sonic 4 Episode I reviewed well because SEGA sold the nostalgia element so hard and I don't recall reviewers really caring about the things fans did. It was a straightforward game with nothing overly offensive about it, especially in comparison to what came before (and I say this as someone who likes the games that got trashed). The novelty wore off two years later, and after the release of Generations, and episode II just turned out to not be what people wanted. And, naturally, after Mania, the classic segments of Generations will likely not look good in hindsight (though probably not to the degree of Forces').

I don't think they're "mixing it up" so much as standards and expectations change over time.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to see that win there. It is well deserved. Mario had some great tunes, but it also had some decidedly weak ones in my mind.

Also why is BotW getting nominated in any music categories this year?? It had a pretty underwhelming soundtrack...

From the Steam Awards 2017 Nominees Announcement page, here are the candidates for the "Even Better Than I Expected" Award:

-Assassin's Creed Origins
-Cuphead
-Call of Duty: WWII
-Hollow Knight
-Sonic Mania

Voting for this award takes place on January 2nd and the voting period is only 24 hours. Winners for all categories are announced on January 3rd. 

• Thumbs Up 2

A Sonic game making it onto several top games lists?

Man, it feels surreal to see after so long, but it's damn satisfying to see the ol' hedgehog high on the charts again. 

• Thumbs Up 7

• 3 weeks later...

VGMOnline (videogame soundtrack-focused website) has posted their 2017 nominations for their Annual Game Music Awards.

Chiptune / Retro (within Scores of the Year)

Blaster Master Zero
Cosmic Star Heroine
Flinthook
Sonic Mania
Yooka-Laylee

Newcomer (within Artists of the Year)

Daughter (Life is Strange: Before the Storm)
Jeff Russo (What Remains of Edith Finch)
Kristofer Maddigan (Cuphead)
Mariam Abounnasr (Another Eden)
Tee Lopes (Sonic Mania)

Fan-Arranged Album (within Albums of the Year)

Crypt of the NecroDancer: OverClocked
Mirror Image: A Link to the Past Remixed
Piano Collections: Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow/Green
Sonic Mania Remixed
Zodiac: Final Fantasy Tactics Remixed

Aside from more music nominations for Mania and Tee Lopes, a fan project of an official game made by fans also got a nod. Everything came full circle!

Now for the punchline--if Mania, Tee Lopes, and Mania Remixed can win any of their respective minor categories, then they get a shot for winning the respective major categories (Score of the Year, Artist of the Year, and Album of the Year; the winner for these awards are picked from a pool of winners of the minor categories).

• Thumbs Up 2