Awoo.

The Book Of Life 2

Klinsy

http://remezcla.com/film/the-book-of-life-2/?rtw&utm_content=buffer8bf7e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

A few years ago, a excellent movie called The Book Of Life was released, sadly, it didn't do so well at the box office, people thought that would all of that would come out of it... they were wrong, amigo.

The movie is getting a sequel, not much details are available but it will address a commonly asked question from the first movie

The sequel grew from that and people asking what was gonna happen with the characters, what’s gonna happen to the gods? The sequel embraces all these things and, in a weird way, is a continuation of the story with everybody you love from the first movie

My girlfriend and I are huge fans of the first one, I can't wait to see this ... unless it ends up in development hell

• Thumbs Up 1

Hopefully they improve on the story, because it seem it was focused-tested to the land of the dead and back. The characters,the music, and --especially-- the artstyle and visuals? Really enjoyed all of that. But the overall story and some of the attempts at comedy felt really pedestrian. I know people are ragging on Pixar's Coco for having a similar premise and aesthetics, but I'm largely expecting it to have a superior story (speaking on the presumption this is Pixar at their A-level scriptwriting game, as opposed to their B-tier level we've seen in most of their recent films).

• Thumbs Up 2

I dunno...

I liked the movie but there was a hint of sexist treatment toward the guys in the movie competing for that girl.

That aside it was great.

I'm glad it's managing to get a sequel because it seems it has a LOT of fans but I'm definitely in the camp that doesn't really get why.  I feel like people were overly forgiving of it's flaws because it was a rare case of a movie about another culture being created by people from that culture AND making it to mainstream cinema, which of course was something to be celebrated.  And naturally, it goes without saying that the visual design of the film was incredible.

But I definitely found the actual content totally lacking.  It literally did not make me laugh once, every single joke was on par with the typical "kids movie jokes" seen in the trailer (I wasn't gonna watch it because of that until the internet hyped it up), the "story being told to kids at the museum" framing totally killed the only dramatic moments in the plot by jumping out of the story to show them all going "awwwww" or gasping etc (and the whole "kid who thinks he's too cool for history but ends up super invested like everyone else" bit is so cheesy and overdone).  It also bothered me that in the land of the dead, the hero has to prove his love through a series of (probably culture-relevant but I dunno) physical tests/action sequences that completely go against the values the movie promotes elsewhere.  Then there were other nitpicks like the female lead just constantly jumping back and forth between being "oh those boys of mine teehee" about the male leads rivalries and being genuinely pissed off at them, depending on what was convenient for each scene.

Just... yeah I found the film super overrated and just didn't really enjoy anything other than the visuals.

But I have no ill will towards them getting to continue their story, hopefully the second one appeals to me more but if not so be it.

I loved almost everything about the first film, except the way they shoehorned Mumford & Sons in at the end. Talk about the song not fitting the tone or context of the film...

Really looking forward to the sequel! I hope they don't borrow too much from Coco and go-go their own way.