Awoo.

Sonictrainer

3 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I would lay off the Ghost talk. The Sobble in the trailer looked more like he was using Vaporeon's shtick (Acid Armor) rather than full on intangibility. Both Scorbunny and Grooky both reek of potential fighter type though, so the fairy part might not be a bad guess to counter one of those. I just don't see it in the design quite yet.

It's based off a chameleon which is famous for blending in with surroundings. It wouldn't be the first time the chameleons ability was changed to full on invisibility.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Pawn said:

I wonder then if Sobble's line will reference water polo, rowing or one of the many other water sports, lending each of the starters a traditional British sport theme.

That would be actually a nice idea and something more refreshing. I kinda hope this is the case. 

1 hour ago, Marcello said:

Top right at the bottom of the mountains on top of the mansion seems to be our first Dark type gym.

I was reading that as Ice based on the surroundings, but believe me, I'd be more than happy to be wrong; and you're right, the colour scheme could well point to Dark.  It is pretty silly that we're looking at consecutive Fairy gyms since its introduction but no Dark gym ever, so let's look forward together to yet another Ghost gym.

I think Sobble's a newt, but I'm editing this to downgrade my confidence as on re-examination the newt-like feature I thought I'd identified turned out not to exist.

1 hour ago, Fusion-Ellipsis said:

When it comes to height comparison why is the Alola trainers height used?

... Now that I think about it, Scorbunny has some sort of tape on it's nose and soles of it's feet...

scorbunny.png

Pretty sure fighters wear some kind of sports tape too...

Maybe it'll be more like a soccer player.

2 hours ago, Failinhearts said:

Scorbunny's definitely gonna be my starter this time around. I'm really liking the region and the overall theming here.

Now, the third version better be this or we riot.

1846361_3.jpg

Wasn't Unova already based on the USA though?

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1

56 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Fitzroy said:

Maybe it'll be more like a soccer player.

I mean, it's called Score-bunny

• Promotion 1

Later they'll release another 2 games where the knight legendary fuses with either of the 2 making a new forme. I mean...the giant drawn on the hill could be a representation of this legendary.

Also...the bunny has the potential of becoming the football-inspired Pokémon I mentioned before. While the monkey, I imagine it taking the stick of it's head and becoming a Son Goku-like Pokémon. Sobble is hard to tell...but it should be water/ghost

It might be just a little bit of bias on my end (read: it's 100% bias), but I really love the look of the Galar region so far. I just hope that they don't go overboard with the regional stereotypes and in-your-face "this is a new region" schtick that they did in XY/SM. You couldn't escape accordians and fashion in XY, and it felt like every NPC had to shoe-horn in some mention of "here in the Alola region..." whenever you spoke to them in SM. It got old really fast. The region just looks like it's going to be a lot more interesting than two previous regions; Kalos was relatively non-descript, whilst Alola didn't do enough to escape from a very generic tropical theme. Galar is already so much more interesting to look at. This is in no small part down to the artstyle too though. It's not groundbreaking, but it's vibrant and has the right amount of detail. 

All of the starters are cool. Scorbunny is my least favourite of the lot, but I still like it. I can't decide who I like more out of Grookey and Sobble though. They're both great.

It looks like gyms, or at least a more traditional alternative to the Island Challenge, will be returning. That's a big plus in my book; SM sucked for a bunch of reasons, and the Island Challenge was a part of that. It would be nice if Pokémon took an approach similar with Zelda ALBW and let you approach the story in almost any order. Something like that would really help add to replayability. But that's obviously never going to happen as long as Game Freak continues the trend of exponentially increasing hand-holding every game. Z-crystals and Mega Stones will hopefully be kept out of the story/main game here, cause they were lame shit that really didn't mesh with Pokémon. But more regional variants would be great. That's the sort of thing that Pokémon is about to me, and it was sorely underplayed. 

I just had a thought that Sobble could be based on:

Basilisk_Lizard.jpg

a Basilisk Lizard, with the fin on top and the wet habitat. I guess its evolution will run on water? "Basilisk" is also the name for a European monster, combining a rooster with a serpent. What is my boy/girl going to turn into? =P

EDIT: I'd forgotten about its tail lol and got carried away looking at wet lizards. It's more likely a veiled chameleon

• Thumbs Up 5

4 minutes ago, Pawn said:

I just had a thought that Sobble could be based on:

Basilisk_Lizard.jpg

a Basilisk Lizard, with the fin on top and the wet habitat. I guess its evolution will run on water? "Basilisk" is also the name for a European monster, combining a rooster with a serpent. What is my boy/girl going to turn into? =P

Voldemort creature with a snake familiar as the back end.

• Thumbs Up 1

If I choose Scorbunny I am going to either call him Bugs or Usagi.

Consider the logo's I wonder if the games legendaries will be wolves 

14 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Consider the logo's I wonder if the games legendaries will be wolves 

Looking up wolves and the UK on Wikipedia:

The cù-sìth is a mythological hound found in the folklore of Scotland.[1][2] A similar creature exists in Irish folklore (spelled cú sídhe), and it also bears some resemblance to the Welsh Cŵn Annwn.....

....said to be the size of a young bull with the appearance of a dog. Its fur is shaggy, and usually cited as being dark green though sometimes white. Its tail is described as being long and either coiled up or plaited (braided). ....

The cù-sìth was feared as a harbinger of death and would appear to bear away the soul of a person to the afterlife, similar to the manner of the Grim Reaper.

These hellhounds are a possible inspiration, and would work well with the highlands-inspired endpoint of the map, but considering the Norse legendaries in Kalos, they could draw from any European folklore/myth.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

I'm calling mine "Flarefoot" :D

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

It would be nice if Pokémon took an approach similar with Zelda ALBW and let you approach the story in almost any order. Something like that would really help add to replayability. But that's obviously never going to happen as long as Game Freak continues the trend of exponentially increasing hand-holding every game.

Too true.  The more I look at the map the more I'm convinced I can already work out the exact game sequence; there are some definite fuzzy spots, but it's hard to imagine it looking much different to this:

Start in the southern village, after stopping by the lakeside manor take the train up to the Lake District, the industrial city's main entrance is blocked off for some reason so you take the bridge over the moat into that long valley, make your way around the front of the castle wall and back down the left valley side to the Grass-type gym, head over the bridge east to the Water-type gym, take the southern tunnel down and over the bridge into the big industrial city, get up to some shenanigans in the western mines...  After that I'd imagine it's a train ride up north-east to the purple-coloured blocky suburbs on the coast, through the icy coast to the manor in the snowy forest, south-west through the walled-off area and west over the bridge into the castle town, a straight shot through that to the mountain town west and then the grove town north of that, then back to the castle and through the northern barrier to Victory Road and Nodnol.

Major plot areas I'd imagine would be in those western caves or mines - since the legendaries clearly revolve around metal, and there's some talk of forging - maybe the odd walled-off area between the castle town and the north-east palace, and any number of those grand structures in the castle town itself.  The central tower has both a crown on top of it and checkerboard banners; I wonder if we're in for chess-themed villains again.  Team Plasma never really did very much with that theme.

May as well put my vote down for the third version as Pokemon Crown, that which commands and is defended by a sword and shield.  I hope they aren't going for double enhanced versions again; B2W2 simply stole the show with the amount of content they added, and USUM were no competition.  What it really depends on is how mutually-exclusive the main storylines are, though, and it'll be some time yet before we can determine that.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Pawn said:

Looking up wolves and the UK on Wikipedia:

These hellhounds are a possible inspiration, and would work well with the highlands-inspired endpoint of the map, but considering the Norse legendaries in Kalos, they could draw from any European folklore/myth.

Garmr = Sword

Cu-Sith = Shield

Also, if the bunny turns out to be a football player, Tsubasa would be a fitting name

I'm also biased due to being from the UK, but I'm more interested in the region itself than any of the starters right now.

Also I feel like the industrial city is supposed to be Manchester due to the clock tower building, which is fucking shit because it should have blatantly been Birmingham, which is going to be completely ignored. How can you have an England region without Birmingham? Makes no sense.

Duh, I'd forgotten about Sobble's tail. It's definitely based on a veiled chameleon:

3e2bf6eae0ddc53367bbf59e02a2bcd3.jpeg

It even looks scared too, lol. They have some fun spiky "beards", so get ready for that.

Now, for some reason, I imagine a Liverpool-based city full of Loudred/Exploud and a possible Meloetta plus some new music-based Pokémon

• Thumbs Up 1

If I ever get this game in Japanese, Scorbunny: ピョンすけ, Grookey: くちばし, Sobble: ミズシロウ.
If I got it in English.....probably use their Japanese names (Hibanny, Sarunori, Messon) just because.

I like Scorbunny's design the least. Something about him throws me off. But I'd probably choose him as a starter.

I wonder when they'll release more info (especially the first evolutions)?

I found curious how Galar region industrialized setting is a stark contrast to the sunny tropical archipelago of Alola. Wonder whether is going to be as underwhelming too and what kind of new gameplay mechanics have been implemented.

So far It's safe to assume they'll be still recycling outdated and dull design decisions in regards of layout exploration and storytelling.

Here is a quick list of Dual-Types that didn't exist during Gen 7:

1. Bug/Dark
  2. Bug/Dragon (Looks at Yanma/Yanmega and Flygon with disappointment)
  3. Bug/Ice
  4. Bug/Normal
  5. Bug/Psychic (I'm surprised this doesn't exist yet)
  6. Dark/Electric (Looks at Luxury with disappointment)
  7. Dark/Fairy
  8. Electric/Fighting
  9. Electric/Poison
  10. Fairy/Fighting
  11. Fairy/Fire
  12. Fairy/Ground
  13. Fairy/Poison (I had an idea for a virus Pokemon)
  14. Fighting/Ground
  15. Ghost/Normal
  16. Ghost/Rock (I'm surprised this doesn't exist yet)
  17. Fire/Grass
  18. Fire/Ice
  19. Ice/Normal
  20. Ice/Poison
  21. Normal/Poison
  22. Normal/Rock
  23. Normal/Steel
  24. Poison/Psychic (I'm surprised this doesn't exist yet)
  25. Poison/Steel

Which one do you want to see the most?