Awoo.

Sonictrainer

14 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Message me a link to what you're talking about.

Here you are.

I keep hearing Alcremie pronounced as "Al-creamy". It's "Al-cremmy", as in "crème brûlée" and "crème de la crème", right? It's name is a play on "alchemy".

• Thumbs Up 3

I wouldn't use this as real proof of anything. Because I am guessing the Pokemon pool is very small in the bootleg game, which would make the animations far easier to do... But just look at what real high quality animations for Pokemon could look like using the current models!

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I wouldn't use this as real proof of anything. Because I am guessing the Pokemon pool is very small in the bootleg game, which would make the animations far easier to do... But just look at what real high quality animations for Pokemon could look like using the current models!

Wait a minute...

no wonder those animations look familiar, they're almost 1 to 1 literally copied from Pokken Tournament DX!

14 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Wait a minute...

no wonder those animations look familiar, they're almost 1 to 1 literally copied from Pokken Tournament DX!

You just got that from @Perkilator's status update, didn't you?

6 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

You just got that from @Perkilator's status update, didn't you?

I noticed Shadow Mewtwo's finisher the first time, but I got distracted by the fast moving car in that one battle.

Speaking of which, thanks to @Perkilator, here are some comparsions

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

Wait a minute...

They are recreations of certain animations across some official games, that much is true. However the animations are still freshly made by hand far as I can tell even if they used some official material for strong reference. They are also using the 3DS models and not the Pokken models I think. However reasons like those among others is why I said I wouldn't use the bootleg game as proof of anything really other then how cool it looks when giving good animations on the current game models.

I hate how most of the sides of the Pokemon fanbase is either considering each other "bootlicking apologists" or "ungrateful harassing incels". There's NO middle ground.
I'm on the rare side of "not too pleased with recent outings".

Like, if you want to support GF, that's fine. Do what you love.

It's that I shouldn't be shamed and being made to feel like I owe the company my money. 

No.

Until GF, in my eyes, shapens up, I'm not going to spend my money on their recent outings. This is more than the Dexit stuff. I've been feeling this way since Gen 7. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/10/2019 at 4:15 PM, Blue Blood said:

I keep hearing Alcremie pronounced as "Al-creamy". It's "Al-cremmy", as in "crème brûlée" and "crème de la crème", right? It's name is a play on "alchemy".

That sounds kinda bad out of context, wow.

4 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

What is that music?

Wait a minute...

Wait, who copied what?

I noticed Shadow Mewtwo's finisher the first time, but I got distracted by the fast moving car in that one battle.

Speaking of which, thanks to @Perkilator, here are some comparsions

Mewtwo is Frieza wut

I kind of like Alcremie, but like Corviknight I don't really care for them as a Pokémon.  Like I picture Alcremie as a minor character in a really surreal magical girl anime and it sounds cute and fun.  But as a Pokémon, it comes across as pretty lazy and uninspired.

Really, most of the new Pokémon,  haven't really been doing it for me though.  With some exceptions, I wasn't too fond of gen 4's designs and a lot of the Pokémon here sort of give me a lot of the same vibes.  Though I'd argue that gen 4 at least had an understanding of color theory and composition.  A lot of these designs just don't. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

The World Championships will be in Washington, D.C. again this year!

EAqIUBDUwAAh4DG?format=jpg&name=large

The 2019 Pokémon World Championships are returning to Washington, DC, from August 16 to 18. The best players from all over the world will compete for the title of Pokémon TCG, Video Game, or Pokkén Tournament World Champion—and for their share of the prizes!

This will be my second time going!

Be among the first to play the next wave of Pokémon games! Get hands-on with demo versions of Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield for Nintendo Switch and the upcoming mobile game Pokémon Masters. Get details on the Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield demo and the Pokémon Masters demo.

Nice!

Plus, they will probably reveal a new Pokémon during one of the days of the event.

Lines up perfectly with a recent rumour that said news would drop on the 7th-

about Galarian forms (Girafarig and Sudowoodo are the ones being unveiled), a fire ant, Impidimp being officially shown, a seagull and a barracuda.  Also, the mascots are steel/fighting and steel/fire.  There's two new Eeveelutions too.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd take that one with a grain of salt; apparently there have been multiple rumours pinpointing new information for August 7th, and the information differs for each of them.  The date was relatively guessable.

Also, regarding Zacian and Zamazenta's typing:

Spoiler

Judging from 3:17 in this trailer, I would have a hard time believing that that Zamazenta is Fire but Zacian isn't Ice or Water.  Steel/Fighting and Steel/Fire feel like typings someone would come up with if they were more interested in balancing the two rather than matching their aesthetics.

But legendaries have had odd typings before.  It'll be interesting to find out.

As somebody who has recently started getting into Pokemon gaming, I don't… really understand the complaints, a lot of people seem excited for the game, and other people like me are just curious about this title, obviously the art style Leaves me a bit puzzled, not feeling it, but the limited pokedex thing? Can you explain this to me? Is it the first they they decided to cut the amount of Pokemon?

I'm trying to judge the game for what it offers, rather for what it lacks though. 

32 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

As somebody who has recently started getting into Pokemon gaming, I don't… really understand the complaints, a lot of people seem excited for the game, and other people like me are just curious about this title, obviously the art style Leaves me a bit puzzled, not feeling it, but the limited pokedex thing? Can you explain this to me? Is it the first they they decided to cut the amount of Pokemon?

I'm trying to judge the game for what it offers, rather for what it lacks though. 

Yes, these'll be the first main series Pokémon titles (unless one counts Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee) to limit which Pokémon can be used in the game, with future games apparently following suit.

Previous games would allow any Pokémon from every region to be used.

34 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

Broadly speaking, for every previous game in the series then every single Pokemon was programmed into the game and Pokemon from past games could be imported into the latest game by some method or another.  (Caveat: Gen 3 didn't have importing but did make every Pokemon available.)  However, Pokemon Sword/Shield only have a limited (presently unknown) number of Pokemon programmed into the game, and those Pokemon and only those Pokemon can be imported from past titles, and the developers have indicated that this will be the rule for future games, that there will never again be a Pokemon game where you can use every single Pokemon.  (Let's Go was the same, but people assumed it was a one-off.)  The developers have indicated that they're having issues with including and updating all Pokemon data (there is furious debate over exactly what the obstacle might be and whether it's realistically surmountable) and that they will endeavour to make unavailable Pokemon re-available in future titles.  People are unhappy, in the meantime, about the idea of Pokemon being "cut" (which is not strictly speaking what is happening) or being "held hostage" in paid-for mobile storage apps.

For additional context, the number of formally numbered Pokemon has passed 800, with Sword/Shield likely to bring that number nearer to 900; the developers have stated that, including new Pokemon, additional forms, and other unnumbered states, the number of Pokemon models is now around 1000.  Based on past Pokemon observed in official previews, the Sword/Shield Pokedex is unlikely to number fewer than 200 Pokemon and is widely predicted to be nearer 300.

• Thumbs Up 3

34 minutes ago, FFWF said:

Broadly speaking, for every previous game in the series then every single Pokemon was programmed into the game and Pokemon from past games could be imported into the latest game by some method or another.  (Caveat: Gen 3 didn't have importing but did make every Pokemon available.)  However, Pokemon Sword/Shield only have a limited (presently unknown) number of Pokemon programmed into the game, and those Pokemon and only those Pokemon can be imported from past titles, and the developers have indicated that this will be the rule for future games, that there will never again be a Pokemon game where you can use every single Pokemon.  (Let's Go was the same, but people assumed it was a one-off.)  The developers have indicated that they're having issues with including and updating all Pokemon data (there is furious debate over exactly what the obstacle might be and whether it's realistically surmountable) and that they will endeavour to make unavailable Pokemon re-available in future titles.  People are unhappy, in the meantime, about the idea of Pokemon being "cut" (which is not strictly speaking what is happening) or being "held hostage" in paid-for mobile storage apps.

For additional context, the number of formally numbered Pokemon has passed 800, with Sword/Shield likely to bring that number nearer to 900; the developers have stated that, including new Pokemon, additional forms, and other unnumbered states, the number of Pokemon models is now around 1000.  Based on past Pokemon observed in official previews, the Sword/Shield Pokedex is unlikely to number fewer than 200 Pokemon and is widely predicted to be nearer 300.

Thank you for explaining that, yeah the number of Pokemon is way too high and probably too much to ask to these developers, that I also know are apparently lazy with their titles.

Honestly, my main gripe with Let's go is that, and I believe most people will agree with me, that it was sooo basic and simple, boring, just to appeal to the main audience who will buy any Pokemon titles. Now... my hope is that Sword/Shield will be at least more complex, more detailed and with cool pokemon designs, a couple of cool gimmicks. And those are my expectations, not asking for much but I'm interested, I hope they deliver.

I don't even have a problem per se with the change, though mostly because it doesn't impact me specifically because I don't have Switch Online and am not paying $20/year for it when the service is kind of trash.  But I do take issues with Nintendo's faulty reasoning for it.  They complain that they need to make new models and animations when anyone who's played the games long enough will instantly recognize many of the models and animations as being direct rips from the 3DS titles.  While the game does look fine on its own merits, it doesn't look fine enough to validate the claims that Nintendo desperately needs to cut content to properly polish the game.

Even those excuses I would be fine with if it weren't for the fact that nothing about the game has convinced me by any measure that they're going to going to do anything to make the single player campaign a better and more memorable experience.  I quite like Pokémon and I'd like to eventually get Sword/Shield, but the staleness of the formula is only made even more glaringly obvious when you take out the one thing it's had going for it since Gen 4.  It's less to me about the fact that I won't be able to use the Pokémon that I like, and more about the fact that I won't be able to use the Pokémon I like while I play the exact same game I've been playing since 1999.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only explanation I can think of in regards to the Dex controversy, is concern over accessibility for newcomers. If you have to play a bunch of prior games to get pokemon just to compete with a veteran fan whose collected well-trained/bred pokemon over the years, it discourages potentially newer fans from wanting to play competitively. By minimizing the Dex, perhaps they thought it would allow newcomers a better chance at keeping up with the gameplay...?

Problem is, in doing so, they just alienated their older fans who faithfully played their games.

Pokemon Sword and Shield feels like an attempt at attracting newcomers who aren't as familiar with the series or its mechanics as opposed to something that's meant for people who are veteran fans who are experienced in it. The designs for the new pokemon are its strong point, they're among my favorite generations so far in this respect. But other than that, it just doesn't feel like they're doing much of anything new that hasn't already been done. And strangely enough, maybe thats exactly what they want. Maybe they've made the decision to to solidify a base with the newer, younger generation of gamers, even if it means it comes at the expense of the older ones.

Similar marketing decisions have occurred before even within the Sonic franchise. And like Sonic, I think its going to cost Game Freak and Nintendo in the long run. Because the problem is, the younger generation isn't a safe enough investment until they reach a certain age. Not only are games more difficult to buy than they were in the 90s, their buying power relies heavily on the very generation of people who are being alienated.

22 minutes ago, Rosaleia said:

The only explanation I can think of in regards to the Dex controversy, is concern over accessibility for newcomers. If you have to play a bunch of prior games to get pokemon just to compete with a veteran fan whose collected well-trained/bred pokemon over the years, it discourages potentially newer fans from wanting to play competitively.

I've kind of divested myself from this because it is what it is, but there have always been options for obtaining older Pokémon without those services or older games. Some are available in the postgame, and the GTS (as of gen 7 anyway) allows you to search for things you haven't seen, so you make a trade request and offer whatever you have for something you can't access at all without Bank or whatever. I usually get a hit within 24 hours of making a request (and usually I just breed a bunch of starters or Eevee for what I'm looking for that isn't a legendary), so I think people are definitely willing to help out players who want something they may not be able to get on their own (though GTS was never without its problems).

It can be a hassle, and the Nintendo Switch Online creates an additional barrier, but that is/was something available to players if they had something in mind that wasn't readily available in their own game previously (sure you don't know how good the Pokémon you're requesting will be or you'll have to breed your own anyway from that one).

Honestly, I think the issue comes down to burnout from the kind of ridiculous schedule the series has been on for many years, though one thing I find odd is that this is apparently the model going forward; it would seem once the work on the newer mons, and those older ones being included, is done, they could pool those resources when making a batch for the next game so nothing is really lost in-between. So even if it can't happen now they'll have half the work done by the time the next entry, whatever form that takes, will be.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Rosaleia said:

The only explanation I can think of in regards to the Dex controversy, is concern over accessibility for newcomers. If you have to play a bunch of prior games to get pokemon just to compete with a veteran fan whose collected well-trained/bred pokemon over the years, it discourages potentially newer fans from wanting to play competitively. By minimizing the Dex, perhaps they thought it would allow newcomers a better chance at keeping up with the gameplay...?

Even if that were the case, veteran players who've played the other games will likely still be able to bring some of their trained Pokemon over to Sword/Shield eventually (unless they get REALLY unlucky with the final Galar Dex selection).

So once that option becomes available, I can't help but wonder if newcomers may still be discouraged from competitive play.

46 minutes ago, NegaMetallix said:

Even if that were the case, veteran players who've played the other games will likely still be able to bring some of their trained Pokemon over to Sword/Shield eventually (unless they get REALLY unlucky with the final Galar Dex selection).

So once that option becomes available, I can't help but wonder if newcomers may still be discouraged from competitive play.

True but veteran players won't be able to bring as many, which means less strategies and sets for the average newcomer to keep up with. They're probably doing this because they think keeping the amount of pokemon to a more simplistic level will encourage newcomers to better understand the mechanics of the game before fighting competitively. I'm a newbie and while I still enjoy watching pokemon battles, I'll admit I get lost now and again when poketubers go over their sets and what moves they expect from their opponents. I wouldn't be surprised if this was probably also why in Sun and Moon didn't initially come with pokebank support.

Still, its not an effective strategy to prioritize exclusively old or new fans. They need to find better middle ground.

1 hour ago, Rosaleia said:

True but veteran players won't be able to bring as many, which means less strategies and sets for the average newcomer to keep up with. They're probably doing this because they think keeping the amount of pokemon to a more simplistic level will encourage newcomers to better understand the mechanics of the game before fighting competitively. I'm a newbie and while I still enjoy watching pokemon battles, I'll admit I get lost now and again when poketubers go over their sets and what moves they expect from their opponents. I wouldn't be surprised if this was probably also why in Sun and Moon didn't initially come with pokebank support.

That, and there were a few things they probably had to sort out before Pokemon Bank could be fully compatible with Sun & Moon (for example, the changes in stats and/or abilities for certain Pokemon between Gen 5/6 and Gen 7).

1 hour ago, Rosaleia said:

Still, its not an effective strategy to prioritize exclusively old or new fans. They need to find better middle ground.

That certainly would be nice. But right now it seems like - to The Pokemon Company and Game Freak - unless that middle ground still allows them to release a new Pokemon game every year, they're not willing to find it.

I'm personally willing to give GameFreak the benefit of the doubt when it comes to technical limitations, but at the same time there is simply no doubt that the real villain of the piece here is their business model.  The annualisation of the series, with the same dev cycle for HD games that they used to have for 3DS games - I simply don't think it's sustainable in the long term, no matter how much you outsource.  Something has to give, and in this case, it was the National Dex.

• Thumbs Up 3