Awoo.

Sonictrainer

According to Serebii.net, there's a unknown Pokémon behind the cashier to the left.

8_7_jobs_5.jpg

possiblenewpokemon.jpg

Obstagoon looks nice, but I wish there was a non-Galaran version of it. Something to keep regular Zigzagoon and Linoone from being left in the dust, you know?

To start the World Championships 2019, a battle specific trailer for Sword/Shield was shown that reveals some new abilities, items, more info on Dynamax/Gigantmax, and the new battling UI.

New Abilities: Neutralizing Gas & Mirror Armor

8_16_maxmoves_9.jpg

Many new Abilities have been discovered in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield! The Ability of Galarian Weezing, Neutralizing Gas, is one such Ability! This Ability neutralizes the ongoing effects of other Pokémon’s Abilities and even prevents Abilities from being triggered!

Galarian Weezing will fill the area with Neutralizing Gas when it enters the battlefield!

Once the Pokémon with Neutralizing Gas leaves the battlefield, the Abilities of the other Pokémon will be activated again.

8_16_hidden_2.jpg8_16_hidden_5.jpg

Corviknight’s Hidden Ability, Mirror Armor, is a new Ability introduced in these titles. This Ability will bounce back any stat-lowering effects from Abilities or moves!

New Items: Room Service & Eject Pack

8_16_maxmoves_11.jpg8_16_maxmoves_14.jpg

There are new items available in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield that will broaden the strategies you can use in Pokémon battles! These include items that can combo with specific moves to give you an edge in battles, like Room Service and Eject Pack.

8_16_maxmoves_12.jpg

When held by a Pokémon, Room Service will lower the holder’s Speed when the move Trick Room is successfully used.

8_16_maxmoves_16.jpg

When a Pokémon holding Eject Pack has any of its stats lowered, it will immediately switch out so you can send in another Pokémon from your team!

s

Dynamaxing & Max Moves

8_16_maxmoves_1.jpg8_16_maxmoves_2.jpg

The Dynamax phenomenon not only makes Pokémon huge—it can also give them a boost in power. Dynamaxing your Pokémon can sway the course of a battle! The Max Moves that only Dynamax Pokémon can use aren’t just powerful, either. They all have impressive additional effects!

The Water-type Max Move Max Geyser will trigger the rain weather condition!

8_16_maxmoves_3.jpg8_16_maxmoves_4.jpg

The Fighting-type Max Move Max Knuckle will increase the Attack of all allied Pokémon, as well as the user!

8_16_maxmoves_5.jpg8_16_maxmoves_6.jpg

Even if an opponent uses a move like Protect, a Max Move will still blast through it and deal some damage!

8_16_maxmoves_7.jpg8_16_maxmoves_8.jpg

All status moves used by a Dynamax Pokémon become Max Guard, which can even protect against other Max Moves.

In Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, you’ll be able to Dynamax any Pokémon from the Galar region so long as you have the Dynamax Band. There’s no need to have the Pokémon hold a special item. This means that you can choose which one of your Pokémon to Dynamax depending on what’s happening in the battle. You could even have your Pokémon hold items that boost their offenses so they can unleash Max Moves that are even more powerful!

8_16_hidden_3.jpg

Some Pokémon have rare Abilities known as Hidden Abilities, which are different to their usual Abilities. In Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, it seems that Pokémon caught in Max Raid Battles might have these Hidden Abilities. Plus, there’s also a chance that you’ll encounter a special Pokémon capable of Gigantamaxing in Max Raid Battles! While extremely rare, by attempting many different battles, there’s a chance you could even encounter a Pokémon that can Gigantamax...and also has a Hidden Ability!

Remixed Mechanics: Battle Stadium

In Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, you can connect to the internet and battle against Trainers from all over the world in the Battle Stadium. Features like Rental Teams and Online Competitions also allow for different ways to connect to other Pokémon Trainers.

Note: A Nintendo Switch Online membership (paid) is required to use the Battle Stadium. There is no need to set up a Pokémon Global Link account.

8_16_battle_1.jpg8_16_battle_2.jpg

In Ranked Battles, you can take on Pokémon Trainers from across the globe with a Battle Team you trained up, in an attempt to become the most powerful Trainer in the world! As the name implies, you will have a rank in Ranked Battles that indicates how strong you are as a Trainer. Your rank will change depending on the results of your battles! You’ll face Trainers of a similar rank, so your battles are sure to be challenging!

8_16_battle_4.jpg

You can receive items by meeting certain criteria, such as battling multiple times in a row.

8_16_battle_chart.jpg

Each rank in Ranked Battles belongs to a specific tier. The top tier is where Trainers will take part in intense Ranked Battles, with everyone aiming to become the best in the world!

You can check your own ranking in the Battle Stadium when you’re competing in the highest ranks. And check out the smartphone version of Pokémon HOME if you want to see how all participants of a competition placed or the rankings of the Pokémon used. In Ranked Battles, your rank will go down a certain amount at the end of each season before being carried over to a new season.

In Casual Battles, you can enjoy Pokémon battles without worrying about who wins and who loses. Another noteworthy aspect of Casual Battles is that you can use certain Legendary Pokémon and Mythical Pokémon that are not eligible for Ranked Battles!

There are two formats for battles in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield. Players can take part in the Single Battle and Double Battle formats. You can choose from these two battle formats for Ranked Battles and Casual Battles, too.

8_16_battle_5.jpg8_16_battle_6.jpg

There are two categories of Online Competitions you can participate in for some fun battling: Official Competitions and Friendly Competitions.

In Official Competitions, you take part in special battles with a variety of different rules and restrictions, in order to see where you place among the participants. Certain competitions may even grant you the chance to participate in the Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield World Championships if you do well in them!

Aim to be the best in competitions with various regulations.

In Friendly Competitions, you can join competitions hosted by other players—but you’re also able to host a competition yourself!

The host will decide the regulations used for Friendly Competitions.

8_16_battle_7.jpg

Rental Teams let you borrow Battle Teams easily by inputting IDs available online. You can use these rented Battle Teams in various different battles. You’ll also be able to make your own Battle Teams public to Pokémon Trainers all over the world!

• Thumbs Up 2

Despite the fact that I've played Gens 5 to 7 extensively, I don't really know what the Global Link is. Could someone fill me in on whats going to lost by this service ending?

3 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Despite the fact that I've played Gens 5 to 7 extensively, I don't really know what the Global Link is. Could someone fill me in on whats going to lost by this service ending?

GL was the service used to battle and trade pokemon online.

3 minutes ago, 8ther said:

Right. But that's not going to be removed in SwSh, so if that's all that it offers then what's the big deal?

8 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

It's basically the online service for all main Pokémon games from B/W to US/UM. My only guess as to what this could mean for Gen 8, is that they'll be relying on Nintendo's servers for online stuff instead of their own.

...Maybe.

3 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Right. But that's not going to be removed in SwSh, so if that's all that it offers then what's the big deal?

It's probably just a case of "Do you think Nintendo Switch Online sucks? Then Sword & Shield's online will suck too!"

31 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

22 minutes ago, 8ther said:

Pretty much.

logo_pgl.png

Basically, the Global Link is a giant, free add-on to the games that started out with the Dream World in Gen 5, a place to sign for online tournaments in Gen 6 & 7, and also look at leaderboards to see who's the best at catching, battling, breeding, etc.

300px-Pok%C3%A9mon_Dream_World_logo.png

In Gen 5, there was a feature called the Dream World, that was an area where you could send a Pokemon from Black/White and collect items, and basically get Pokémon with hidden abilities (Plus, this was the only way to obtain Pokémon inside a Dream Ball, for people that like having Pokémon inside specific Balls).

After the Dream World was closed, the site was used for signing up for the online tournaments and downloading Event Pokémon or prizes from participating in said tournaments.

16 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Pros: It sounds like Pokémon Home is replacing the Global Link, so nothing is going to be lost per say.

Cons: According to Serebii, Home is going to be a phone app. If the app is going to cost money, that means people will have to pay for Sword/Shield, a Nintendo Switch Online Account, and whatever this app may cost. In the US, that's at least $80 since the the NSA costs $20 a year.

In fact, I have to renew mine for a second year before September 16th.

It was pretty clear this game was going to be tied to NSO and not have any free online services like every other first party Nintendo game that uses online connectivity. LGPE even used it.

• Thumbs Up 4

• 3 weeks later...

New Information from the Nintendo Direct and a New Trailer

New Pokémon

pokemon_cramorant_2x.png

9_4_cramorant_1.jpg9_4_cramorant_2.jpg

• Cramorant
  • Category: Gulp Pokémon
  • Type: Flying/Water
  • Height: 2'7"
  • Weight: 39.7 lbs.
  • Ability: Gulp Missile

When it comes to food, it will try to swallow anything it can fit in its mouth. Sometimes it will swallow things that aren’t its intended prey, spitting them out in a hurry once it realizes its mistake.

Cramorant can be forgetful, but it will never forget a Trainer it grows to trust. However, it seems that even Trainers will face fierce attacks from their Cramorant if they try to steal its food.

9_4_cramorant_3.jpg

Cramorant’s Ability, Gulp Missile, is a new Ability introduced in these titles, and it can be triggered during battles. After Cramorant uses Surf or Dive, it will return with a catch in its mouth. If it takes damage while in this state, Cramorant will retaliate by spitting out its catch at the attacker!

pokemon_polteageist_2x.png

9_4_polteageist_1.jpg

• Polteageist
  • Category: Black Tea Pokémon
  • Type: Ghost
  • Height: 8"
  • Weight: .9 lbs.
  • Ability: Weak Armor

Polteageist’s body is made from black tea and is said to have a very distinct aroma and flavor. It will only allow a Trainer it trusts to sample its tea. However, drinking too much can lead to indigestion or an upset stomach, so be careful!

Many Polteageist make their homes inside hotels and restaurants, disguising themselves and hiding among the tableware. They can pour their power into leftover tea and create even more of their kind, so they’re often treated as pests.

New Features: Pokémon Camp

camp_art_2x.jpg

You can enjoy a Pokémon Camp almost anywhere anytime you’re exploring in the Galar region! If you ever feel like spending some time with the Pokémon in your party or cooking up a nice meal with them, then there’s no need to hesitate—in many cases, you can just set up camp right then and there!

9_04_camp_1.jpg

You can enjoy a moment of relaxation and fun with the Pokémon in your party through Pokémon Camp! Watch your Pokémon closely as they have fun camping, and as they play together, you might discover a new side to them that you don’t normally get to see!

Just give a call to any Pokémon that’s far away, and it’ll happily come to you!

9_04_camp_4.jpg

You can also play with your Pokémon while camping. There are several toys that your Pokémon will enjoy—you can play with them using a Poké Toy or a variety of bouncing balls! Take some time to play with your Pokémon and get to know them better!

9_04_camp_3.jpg

Alcremie is known to be able to create whipped cream from its hands. Apparently, there are several variations of color and flavor for this whipped cream, as well as the decorations on Alcremie’s body.

9_04_camp_8.jpg9_04_camp_9.jpg9_04_camp_10.jpg

In your Pokémon Camp, you’ll be able to make wondrous curries that are hugely popular in the Galar region! Curry is a dish with tons of variety. You can create curries of many different flavors depending on which ingredients and Berries you choose to add to your pot! Pour your heart into cooking and create a delicious plate of curry!

The first step to cooking up some curry is choosing the ingredients you want to add. The type of curry you’ll make will change depending on what ingredients and Berries you choose to put in.

You’ll need to fan the flames until they’re strong enough and then stir the pot just right to make the best batch of curry!

9_04_camp_13.jpg9_04_camp_14.jpg

Once you’re done cooking, you and your Pokémon can dig in together! The ingredients you choose change the type of curry you’ll end up with. There are plenty of types of curry, so try to cook them all and complete your Curry Dex!

9_04_camp_16.jpg9_04_camp_17.jpg

The Wild Area is a vast expanse of open land in the Galar region. There are lots of different ways to connect with other players in the Wild Area, and Pokémon Camps are just one example! You can join the camp of another player or have other players visit your own camp until a total of four players are gathered to interact with Pokémon or make some curry!

If you come across a tent while using local communication or when connected to the internet, it’s a sign that another player has set up their Pokémon Camp there. You can take one of your party Pokémon with you, so why not have a look and join their camp! Membership in the Nintendo Switch Online (paid) service is required for joining other players’ Pokémon Camps using an internet connection. You do not need to be have a membership to play with other players using local communication features.

When camping with other players, you can let your Pokémon play with their Pokémon, or you can cook up a big pot of curry and enjoy it together!

New Feature: Surprise Trade

9_4_trading_1.jpg

In these games, you can use Y-Comm to do things like trade Pokémon and have Link Battles via the internet or local communication. If you see a stamp pop up during your adventure, it might be a sign that another player is looking for somebody to connect with! You’ll be able to trade and have Link Battles with friends by checking these stamps, but they can also be invitations from people you’ve never met before!

One of the features available on the Y-Comm menu is the Surprise Trade. Select a Pokémon from your Boxes that you’re willing to trade, and that’s it! A trading partner will automatically be found as you continue on your adventure!

The game will keep trying to match you with a trading partner even as you engage in the Pokémon battles or other activities you’ll find while exploring Galar, so there’s no need for you to hunt for a trading partner or feel like you’re left waiting!

These trades can be carried out with players from around the world if you’re using the internet. But with local communication, you can even get a trade from someone around you before you know what’s happening! Head out to lots of different places, and see if you can get a Surprise Trade! You won’t know what Pokémon you’ll get in exchange for your Pokémon until you actually receive it. If you’re lucky, you might end up with a rare Pokémon.

Features: Trainer Customization

style_male_art.jpgstyle_female_art.jpg

As you travel, you’ll come across boutiques and hair salons. By visiting them, you can buy new clothes for yourself or change your hairstyle to freshen things up! There are plenty of different clothing items, hairstyles, and even makeup options, so try out different combinations and show the entire Galar region your favorite look!

9_4_style_1.jpg9_4_style_2.jpg

9_4_style_3.jpg

Boutiques always have a wide selection of items, and they’ll be your go-to spots for trying on and buying new clothes. Boutiques can have outerwear, tops, gloves—you name it! You can mix and match styles in any way you want. Boutiques in different towns and cities have different items for sale, so keep your eyes open for that perfect outfit while you travel.

9_4_style_8.jpg

Salons let you choose your haircut and hair color, style your eyebrows, or even swap out your color contacts! Spice up your adventure by changing your look to match your favorite outfit or the uniform you wear during your Gym Challenge!

• Thumbs Up 1

Love the way Polteageist is chilling in its pot. I can definitely see it making my team. Also:

9_4_cramorant_3.jpg

image.png.26c42f070c4dd9dd6acb49083362e889.png

I was looking at photos of these birds just yesterday! New fish revealed too (but not named) I guess:

9_4_cramorant_1.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

hxZLM9a.jpg

Sooo...

shutterstock-1078642406.jpg

b3a94dab-f1dd-4509-bbe5-7feb60c2acd9

...given that this is the UK Galar, will we be cooking the baracudas back at camp? =P

Better keep an eye out for those greedy Cramorant (or Wingull for that matter)

9_04_camp_3.jpg

Ok, so at first when I saw the Green Alcremie yesterday, I thought there would be at least 5 variants of Alcremie in this game.

....so far Serebii has found at least 24 variants...

29 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

9_04_camp_3.jpg

Ok, so at first when I saw the Green Alcremie yesterday, I thought there would be at least 5 variants of Alcremie in this game.

I really like the different variants for Alcremie idea. Curious to see what the remaining are!

17 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

9_04_camp_3.jpg

Pokemon Twitter posted some of em:

EDp8KjDUUAANtu5?format=jpg&name=large

EDqALt1XYAEKKCI?format=jpg&name=large

EDp_ezFXYAEeuyS?format=jpg&name=large

EDp-tYkWkAAdkfM?format=jpg&name=small

EDp5kvvUYAAWcGw?format=jpg&name=large

EDp8moFW4AALywu?format=jpg&name=large

EDp9rhDXsAEfNyT?format=jpg&name=large

I really like Blueberry Alcremie.

EDIT: There's more in the thread-

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's GameXplain's analysis on the latest trailer