Awoo.

Sonictrainer

11 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

And this is exactly the height of pettiness and triviality.

Yes, the title of the video is click bait. Yes, YouTube is full of click bait and shitty videos. But honestly now, does it really matter in this specific case?

The video, if you cared to watch it for just 30 seconds, takes comments made in defence of SwSh and demonstrates why they're pretty weak arguments. @Lord-Dreamerz posted the video as a recommendation (and didn't make the video so there's literally no point in saying "well why have a click bait title if the video is actually good?"), so with that you've already got your evidence that it's worth your time to watch. Are you really saying that you totally refuse to look at a video based on the baity title after it was recommended to you by someone that you're having a discussion with? Because that's just petty. Ignoring it as a suggested video on YouTube or because it shows up in search result and looks shitty? That's what you're supposed to do. But this is dumb, guys. You're standing in the way of the argument and discussion.

If you're not going to watch it, just ignore it. No need to tell everyone how much you're not going to watch it because you dislike the title.

Rant over

-

The animations in SwSh are as basic as they could be. The Pokémon model is moved around on their axis down without being animated,  or they lean forwards and open their mouths. The specific graphics for a move (like the kicking feet from double kick) are overlaid. Thats really about it. It gets the job done in the most generic way, do that the animations can be recycled for as many purposes as possible. With ~ 1000 Pokémon, being economical is pretty essential, I don't think anyone would argue that. But the older 3D games handled it so much better.

The example seen right at the start of the video with Blastoise is great. In Stadium, its cannons open up and the hydro pump effects are overlaid on both of the cannons. The result is that it actually looks like Blastoise is doing something. In the newer games it's so much worse. Blastoise leans forwards, opens its mouth and then out of nowhere, about two feet in front of it, a jet of water appears. The cannons? They do nothing.

Both approaches are the same in theory. Every Pokémon has an idle animation and 2 - 3 attack animations that can be recycled for various purposes with different effects overlaid to signify which attack it is. It's simply that the raw animations themselves are much, much more basic now. All of the new Pokémon in SwSh will have brand new animations and models, but everything else will be using retouched versions of SuMo models (or even LGPE for the Kanto lot, so there's even more legwork already completed).

But I didn't say I wasn't going to watch it nor that I didn't watch it? I was just pointing out that yea...its a click bait. It might be well constructed and you might agree with a lot of its points...but it's still clickbait. That's literally all I said.

I didn't say nobody should watch it, nor that it didn't bring up good points just that the title is kind of blatantly styled in a way to provoke a reaction towards a specific group of people.

-New Pokemon reveals

-Version-exclusive gym leaders

-Some of the new Pokemon actually change their appearance when Dynamax’d

• Thumbs Up 2

There's Dynamaxing and Gigantamaxing, which is Dynamaxing with the ridiculously over designed stylings of Mega Evolutions. No thank you.

Alcremie is I've if the worst Pokémon designs ice seen in a while. Anything based on a food item tends to be bad, but when it Gigantamaxes into a full blown wedding cake it's like... Where do I go to cancel my pre-order? It's nice to know that Pokémon Sword and Shield are shaping up to be just as disappointing as I should have expected after the past two gens.

They also revealed the following version exclusives:

D-9Jlx4WsAAsDOw.png:large

Speaking of exclusives, here's where the gym is:

D-9JeMDX4AEaswO.pngD-9Je4XWsAEMw8K.png

And here's some more art:

7_8_yampers_2.jpg

7_8_rolycoly_2.jpg

EDIT: Trainers in their competitive kits:

fsz9hu.pngeeauk0.png

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Ernest the Panda said:

I'm so grateful that Game Freak cut the national dex so that we could get those quality animations at 0:18 and 0:25.

• Thumbs Up 5

It... it sounds like you can't even Gigantamax every Pokemon from a Gigantamax-capable species?  (Source)

Regular Drednaw and Corviknight can Dynamax, but there are some special members of these species that can Gigantamax.

You can catch Gigantamax Pokémon for your team by participating in Max Raid Battles, but it seems they’re very rare—finding one won’t be easy!

So they're not only Mega Evolutions, they're also the obtainable Totem Pokemon from Ultra Sun/Moon.  I was behind Dynamax up to now because of the way it wasn't restricted to particular Pokemon, but Gigantamaxing is somehow even more exclusive.

26 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

There's Dynamaxing and Gigantamaxing, which is Dynamaxing with the ridiculously over designed stylings of Mega Evolutions. No thank you.

Alcremie is I've if the worst Pokémon designs ice seen in a while. Anything based on a food item tends to be bad, but when it Gigantamaxes into a full blown wedding cake it's like... Where do I go to cancel my pre-order? It's nice to know that Pokémon Sword and Shield are shaping up to be just as disappointing as I should have expected after the past two gens.

Canceling a pre-order because of one silly pokemon design???

1 minute ago, Soniman said:

Canceling a pre-order because of one silly pokemon design???

Christ, no. Sarcasm. I don't even have the game pre-ordered.

The design does suck hard though.

20 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Alcremie is I've if the worst Pokémon designs ice seen in a while. Anything based on a food item tends to be bad, but when it Gigantamaxes into a full blown wedding cake it's like... Where do I go to cancel my pre-order?

That's actually great, though??? Like how the fuck do you see "the little whipped cream fairy digivolves into a 3 story tall cake" and not think that is awesome?

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

Just now, Blue Blood said:

Christ, no. Sarcasm.

The design does suck hard though.

Given the extreme cycism regarding this game and the Fandom you can't really blame me for lol. 

I'll admit, Alcreme is kind of ridiculous but in a fun way. I'm glad they're just going balls crazy now.

And Rolycoly is definitely going to become a coal train, let's ho.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Diogenes said:

That's actually great, though??? Like how the fuck do you see "the little whipped cream fairy digivolves into a 3 story tall cake" and not think that is awesome?

It's a whipped cream fairy. And it's not even a British Fairy Cake.

0/10. Making a pre-order and cancelling it immediately.

Can we just talk about how the animations are still bad? Didn't they use animations as an excuse for not having all Pokemon? Doesn't look like they made much of a difference to the animations.

I do like the gigantamaxing, though I would still prefer if they focused on more Megas but oh well.

I like Duraludon and Rolycoly (which looks an awful lot like a motobug lol), but I really don't like Alcremie and I guess Yamper is fine.

Still not as excited for the games as I should be for a Switch Pokemon game.

• Thumbs Up 1

As with the previous food-based Pokemon, I have no strong feelings about them but see no reason why they shouldn't exist.  Duraludon's design is really appealing, though; I appreciate how sleek it is.  So weird that they still haven't formally announced Impidimp, though; it even appears on a poster in the background at one point!  But I dug over the website and press release, and it is definitely confirmed that only specific individual Pokemon can Gigantamax, not every Pokemon of that species; so only certain special Corviknight can Gigantamax, for instance.  A strange decision, especially given that they have unique moves.

Rose and Oleana seem like people we'll be fighting at some point, and there's a weird emphasis on the corporate angle that I hope is going to be subverted.  Bea gives me something of a Danganronpa vibe, and I'm not sure why.  But I do think it's interesting that they're doing version-exclusive gyms now; I actually really like it when the versions have significant differences so that there's a real choice to be made between them, so I'm on board with that.  It also increases our chances of finally getting that Dark-type gym, too; the website appears to confirm multiple towns with version-exclusive gyms, so the theory that the Ice-flavour area may have a Dark-type gym could be onto something.

I like the gigantamax being a thing you actually have to work for instead of being an easy kill mode to mow through the rest of the game like a lot of these gimmicks tend to be 

• Thumbs Up 2

Someone on Restera noticed that another new Pokémon crept its way into the trailer:

D-9VQYOXoAAlaEj?format=jpg&name=large

Some kind of elephant teapot I guess?

• Thumbs Up 5

Nice to see a bit more information coming out. Version-exclusive Gyms is interesting, but I hope they have a reason to be in the location they are. No point swapping a steel-type Gym out for a bug-type if the location makes it very clear which type it's meant to be.

Also, colour-swap the red for purple on that Corviknight and you have a Shadow.

34 minutes ago, DarkRula said:

Nice to see a bit more information coming out. Version-exclusive Gyms is interesting, but I hope they have a reason to be in the location they are. No point swapping a steel-type Gym out for a bug-type if the location makes it very clear which type it's meant to be.

Bea/Allister's gym is in an area that's overall Rock/Ground themed, and that's what people assumed it would be before today.  You could make an argument that Fighting has something of an association with those kinds of aesthetics, but either way the obvious choice was skipped.  I think that's a fair concern about version-exclusive gyms, though, if it feels like the gym doesn't have a strong connection to the area it's in; it implies that the gym leaders probably won't be too involved in events outside of their little bubble.

1 hour ago, DarkRula said:

Maybe the aesthetics of the city/town its in will differ between versions, like Opelucid City.

• Thumbs Up 2

Alcreme looks cute. So does Yamper.

But holy shit Gigantamax Corviknight looks cool.

You can catch Gigantamax Pokémon for your team by participating in Max Raid Battles, but it seems they’re very rare—finding one won’t be easy!

This is the part where this game is really losing me. The stuff with Home is bad enough, but even with my complaints, I can always make do with what's there.

I'm already not a fan of Nintendo Switch Online and was already bothered knowing basic features like the GTS would be paywalled but now they're locking these special Gigantamax Pokémon behind this as well. The online components have probably been the most off-putting and worrying aspect of this game for me that I'm questioning what I'd even get out of this particular iteration of Pokémon at this point. They're $60 games, in addition to the extra $20 just to be able to use features I frequently used on the 3DS. NSO hasn't proven its value to me, since by most accounts the service is the same as it already was with almost no improvement.

It's a shame because I actually really like the new Pokémon revealed so far (I'm actually quite fond of Alcremie) and the new characters look great but it's hard for me to remain excited about playing the actual game.

EDIT:

unknown.png

And at this point the Poké-Mon-Amie/Refresh successor is practically confirmed. I'm not convinced there was anything new that was going need to be made for older generation Pokémon so the reasoning is still nonsense as far as I'm concerned.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

This is the part where this game is really losing me. The stuff with Home is bad enough, but even with my complaints, I can always make do with what's there.

I'm already not a fan of Nintendo Switch Online and was already bothered knowing basic features like the GTS would be paywalled but now they're locking these special Gigantamax Pokémon behind this as well. The online components have probably been the most off-putting and worrying aspect of this game for me that I'm questioning what I'd even get out of this particular iteration of Pokémon at this point. They're $60 games, in addition to the extra $20 just to be able to use features I frequently used on the 3DS. NSO hasn't proven its value to me, since by most accounts the service is the same as it already was with almost no improvement.

It's a shame because I actually really like the new Pokémon revealed so far (I'm actually quite fond of Alcremie) and the new characters look great but it's hard for me to remain excited about playing the actual game.

Apparently Max Raid Battles can be accessed offline, and the game will generate AI trainers to support you.